PDA

View Full Version : Prosecutor Recommends Charges for Petraeus

Mjölnir
01-10-2015, 11:40 AM
While unfortunate, this is undoubtedly the appropriate course of action.

WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. and Justice Department prosecutors have recommended bringing felony charges against David H. Petraeus, contending that he provided classified information to a lover while he was director of the C.I.A., officials said, leaving Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. to decide whether to seek an indictment that could send the pre-eminent military officer of his generation to prison.

NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/10/us/politics/prosecutors-said-to-recommend-charges-against-former-gen-david-petraeus.html?_r=0

Rainmaker
01-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Agree and it's a Damn Shame too. The media shit show that will ensue if there is a trial will be really bad for our country.

Thinking with your little head is one thing. But, (If true) giving your bimbo access to your electrons is another. That can't stand. Jeeze. that musta been some good poon-tang.

Rainmaker feels about the same hearing this news, as he did hearing ISIS had overrun Mosul a couple months ago. What a waste.

Now Neocons are again lining up on both sides (Hillbillary vs. Bush 3) to wash rinse and repeat this cluster fuck in Iraq, while the penny press cheer leads it, Makes me sick.

This is all designed to achieve their owners at PNAC's goal of a "Greater Israel from the brook of Egypt to the Euphrates". What a mess.

Isn't it amazing how the story broke only days after the 2012 election and "King David" had served his purpose for the politicians that created him?

You can bet now that Benghazi will fall to the dustbin of history

http://www.wired.com/2012/11/petraeus-cult-2/

Rollyn01
01-10-2015, 03:15 PM
McChrystal makes the run. Petraeus pulls the pin.
O' lord help us all, for our generals knows every sin.

With that thwacked out bullshit out the way, can anyone seriously tell me what's wrong with the "Officer Corps" and what needs to be done to fix it? It seems systemic now with all the all these high ranking service members getting busted for things the lower ranks get the hammer for just thinking of trying. (No pun intended, you know who you are ;))

Rollyn01
01-10-2015, 07:55 PM
While unfortunate, this is undoubtedly the appropriate course of action.

WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. and Justice Department prosecutors have recommended bringing felony charges against David H. Petraeus, contending that he provided classified information to a lover while he was director of the C.I.A., officials said, leaving Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. to decide whether to seek an indictment that could send the pre-eminent military officer of his generation to prison.

NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/10/us/politics/prosecutors-said-to-recommend-charges-against-former-gen-david-petraeus.html?_r=0

Deja vu or is this another hiccup for the top?

MitchellJD1969
01-12-2015, 05:15 PM
He should say he is Sandy Berger, that way he only gets a slap on the wrist.

Rainmaker
03-04-2015, 07:22 PM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/ex-cia-director-petraeus-to-plead-guilty-to-misdeameanor-over-mishandling-classified-information-1425400413

So, it Looks like the high profile witch hunt of Generalismo King David is already over. Less than 2 months, man that was quick!! to sum it up.... Petraeus Pleads down to a Misdemeanor. Gets off with a fine and 2 yrs of non-reporting probabtion.

Yet another high- ranking person gets a slap on the wrist for committing a crime, that most of us would've ended up Busting rocks with a pick axe at Leavenworth for.

Oh well, I guess they couldn't be too hard on ole Dave, as it looks like The Neocon kleptocratic oligarchs might be needing his military Genius again soon (Bribing Sunni/ISIS tribes with bags of taxpayer cash to quit attacking US forces).

efmbman
03-05-2015, 11:21 AM
...can anyone seriously tell me what's wrong with the "Officer Corps" and what needs to be done to fix it? It seems systemic now with all the all these high ranking service members getting busted for things the lower ranks get the hammer for just thinking of trying. (No pun intended, you know who you are ;))

If you've never read Animal Farm, you should. If you have read it, perhaps a re-read.

waveshaper2
03-05-2015, 12:37 PM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/ex-cia-director-petraeus-to-plead-guilty-to-misdeameanor-over-mishandling-classified-information-1425400413

Oh well, I guess they couldn't be too hard on ole Dave, as it looks like The Neocon kleptocratic oligarchs might be needing his military Genius again soon (Bribing Sunni/ISIS tribes with bags of taxpayer cash to quit attacking US forces).

This is actually true, it worked, and it was the cheapest option when compared to a perpetual US funded/fought war in that AO. The only problem with this strategy was someone stopped the money flow. If we're really serious about defeating ISIS then we should pair up ole Dave with General Allen and put these two boys to work at something they both excel at. Their mission would be to bombard ISIS "24/7" with salacious emails and sexting, ISIS would be doomed and fold in short order.

technomage1
03-05-2015, 04:02 PM
He says he didn't share the emails. Regardless of if you believe that or not, he deserves a fair trial. What gets me is you know this wouldn't be sn issue for the lower ranks but because they'd just be slammed for it.

I actually tend to believe him - why else would he insist on a trial by not taking the deal - but then, where did she get the emails? Did he leave a SIPR terminal unlocked around her or is there another source?

Regardless, a sad ending for a guy who served so long and did so much.

Rainmaker
03-05-2015, 04:53 PM
He says he didn't share the emails. Regardless of if you believe that or not, he deserves a fair trial. What gets me is you know this wouldn't be sn issue for the lower ranks but because they'd just be slammed for it.

I actually tend to believe him - why else would he insist on a trial by not taking the deal - but then, where did she get the emails? Did he leave a SIPR terminal unlocked around her or is there another source?

Look, Rainmaker's just as horny as the next guy. But, that's not the point. How many people have we all personally seen get their careers flushed down the shitter on silly General order 1 violations under this guy's command? For Rainmaker it's been more than a few.

So, Fuck this Corrupt Bastard. If he was really innocent, He had the chance to get a fair trial and clear his name . Instead He took a plea deal (Read slap on the wrist), either because, a) he's guilty of the charges (and probably much more) or b) he's not guilty. But, he'd rather just get back to his job making millions and buying access for his Morally bankrupt owners at KKR Global Institute

These guys are the poster children for everything that's wrong with our Military today. While, the troops they command are out sleeping in the dirt and some are even going home in body bags, they sit up in the puzzle palace bumping uglies with their biographers and sexting their girlfriends back in the big PX in the sky. Do as I say, not as I do, seems to be the most common Leadership style today. No wonder morale sucks.

Mjölnir
03-05-2015, 11:25 PM
With that thwacked out bullshit out the way, can anyone seriously tell me what's wrong with the "Officer Corps" and what needs to be done to fix it? It seems systemic now with all the all these high ranking service members getting busted for things the lower ranks get the hammer for just thinking of trying. (No pun intended, you know who you are ;))

I don't know if you can say this is indicative of what is wrong with Officers. Petraeus was retired and the DoJ not the DoD did the investigation and plea agreement.

He does deserve a fair trial, he opted to accept the plea agreement.

In the long run him taking the plea deal saves him and his family further public embarassment, saves the cost and expense (both fiscal and and emotional) to the country and let's this move into the past.

LogDog
03-06-2015, 12:03 AM
I don't know if you can say this is indicative of what is wrong with Officers. Petraeus was retired and the DoJ not the DoD did the investigation and plea agreement.

In the long run him taking the plea deal saves him and his family further public embarassment, saves the cost and expense (both fiscal and and emotional) to the country and let's this move into the past.
The question I have, and maybe someone who knows someone in military law can find out, is could the Army recall him to service and try him for violating Army regulations or would that constitute double jeopardy?

Mjölnir
03-06-2015, 12:19 AM
The question I have, and maybe someone who knows someone in military law can find out, is could the Army recall him to service and try him for violating Army regulations or would that constitute double jeopardy?

No, it would be double jeopardy since it was a federal charge and court martial is also a federal court.

DUI for example is not a federal charge (unless it is from a federal law enforcement officer -- i.e. US National Park Police or Base Police etc.) and therefore once the local police are done with a military member the military can also prosecute them.

Even if it was possible to call him back on Active Duty to court martial him, what would the government get out of it? I agree that the optic would be that he was being held accountable … but:

1. He has been held accountable
2. Legally it is not lawful

Something to consider too, when paralleling GEN Petraeus giving Mrs. Broadwell classified data and Chelsea (Bradley) Manning giving classified data to WikiLeaks is what damage was caused to the US in each instance.

The Petraeus/Broadwell incident: not so much.
The Manning/WikiLeaks incident: quite a bit. (foreign relations, compromised sources etc.)

He could be called back to active duty to answer for the adultery, but again ... to what gain? And to be honest, how many retirees have you seen called back to active duty to answer for an adultery charge (officer or enlisted)? I have heard of a retiree that was called back to answer a murder charge ... that is a bit more serious.

Now, in the realm of the possible, his retired grade could be reevaluated and he could be retired as a 3-star vice a 4-star if it was determined that he did not satisfactorily serve in his role as a 4-star … but that would be an uphill battle based on his successes as a 4-star.

technomage1
03-06-2015, 07:46 AM

Oops I missed the second link. You're correct, he did accept the plea bargain.

Rollyn01
03-08-2015, 12:04 PM
If you've never read Animal Farm, you should. If you have read it, perhaps a re-read.

I'll admit, I haven't read it. However, I do know of it through the various references to it and reading what it was about from the bits and pieces I've seen in summary form. Sadly, you're on the mark. This was just one of many reasons I have been disenchanted with the way the military is and has been operating. How easy it is to subvert others in a bid to exercise control to ensure excellence only falter due to your own inability to control yourself. Many "leaders" are guilty of this. Many of them know this and yet continue to demand obedience and respect. Ironically, they become the pigs who become humans. Napoleon would be proud (or rather jealous that they are doing bigger, better and at a greater efficiency than he could ever dream of achieving).

Rainmaker
03-08-2015, 01:09 PM

No, Because He supposedly wasn't in uniform when any of this happened. which is about as believable as Hillary getting a concussion after fainting and not being able to testify to the CONgress for 6 weeks

Rainmaker
03-08-2015, 01:21 PM
I'll admit, I haven't read it. However, I do know of it through the various references to it and reading what it was about from the bits and pieces I've seen in summary form. Sadly, you're on the mark. This was just one of many reasons I have been disenchanted with the way the military is and has been operating. How easy it is to subvert others in a bid to exercise control to ensure excellence only falter due to your own inability to control yourself. Many "leaders" are guilty of this. Many of them know this and yet continue to demand obedience and respect. Ironically, they become the pigs who become humans. Napoleon would be proud (or rather jealous that they are doing bigger, better and at a greater efficiency than he could ever dream of achieving).

power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Classic Honey Trap....Have a hot, young girl following you around all day asking questions about your life and fawning all over you. I'm sure he was compromised long before he became Director Made it easy for them to get rid of him with an affair rather than admitting they fucked up in Benghazi.

Rollyn01
03-08-2015, 01:35 PM
power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Classic Honey Trap....Have a hot, young girl following you around all day asking questions about your life and fawning all over you. I'm sure he was compromised long before he became Director Made it easier to get rid of him with an affair than admitting they fucked up in Benghazi.

As odd as that seems, that actually makes a lot of sense, at least from a government-must-take-him-out-a la James Bond type point of view. I wonder if I could be a honey pot for Sarah Palin. For reason I have (and not from the lack of due diligence) cannot figure out way, I have the hots for her something awfully strong.

Rainmaker
03-08-2015, 01:45 PM
As odd as that seems, that actually makes a lot of sense, at least from a government-must-take-him-out-a la James Bond type point of view. I wonder if I could be a honey pot for Sarah Palin. For reason I have (and not from the lack of due diligence) cannot figure out way, I have the hots for her something awfully strong.

Pussy Galore strikes again!!

Yeah, and Rainmaker volunteered to trap Sarah too. Unfortunately, they said he was too ugly to apply. Think I can file a discrimination law suit?

Rollyn01
03-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Pussy Galore strikes again!!

Yeah, and Rainmaker volunteered to trap Sarah too. Unfortunately, they said he was too ugly to apply. Think I can file a discrimination law suit?

I think it was more because you alone was enough. She looks like a woman that can take a few fellas on and not break a sweat. As such, tag-team?

Rainmaker
03-08-2015, 02:00 PM
I think it was more because you alone was enough. She looks like a woman that can take a few fellas on and not break a sweat. As such, tag-team?

Hell if ya can't share with your friends who can ya share with? I heard on the TV that she likes Tea bagging!

Rollyn01
03-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Hell if ya can't share with your friends who can ya share with? I heard on the TV that she likes Tea bagging!

That would explain why she talks so wacky when she doesn't have a teleprompter or cue cue cards to put words in her mouth. My friend, it's high time we get balls deep and help her out by giving her what she's missing. In fact, I'm about to google her bikini pics. MMmmm... the political process... dirty it is.

Rainmaker
03-08-2015, 03:14 PM
That would explain why she talks so wacky when she doesn't have a teleprompter or cue cue cards to put words in her mouth. My friend, it's high time we get balls deep and help her out by giving her what she's missing. In fact, I'm about to google her bikini pics. MMmmm... the political process... dirty it is.

"It's been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."-attributed to Reagan

Rollyn01
03-08-2015, 03:57 PM
"It's been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."-attributed to Reagan

I'm inclined to agree to that... to hell with that, I fully agree. Backdoor deals, lies and denials, forced coercion, disrespect for women, and to top it all off, it's about getting the most amount of money out of people while doing the least amount of work (and that's if you can't convince someone else to do it). I here tell that's called pimpin'.