PDA

View Full Version : Base Closures in UK

js7799
01-08-2015, 03:45 PM
http://www.stripes.com/news/europe/raf-mildenhall-to-close-amid-other-europe-consolidations-1.322825

Looks like Mildenhall, Alconbury and Molesworth are getting the proverbial ax within the next couple of years. I knew for Alconbury and Molesworth it was only a matter of time, but I am surprised about Mildenhall. It will be interesting to see where the affected units end up.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-08-2015, 04:01 PM
http://www.stripes.com/news/europe/raf-mildenhall-to-close-amid-other-europe-consolidations-1.322825

Looks like Mildenhall, Alconbury and Molesworth are getting the proverbial ax within the next couple of years. I knew for Alconbury and Molesworth it was only a matter of time, but I am surprised about Mildenhall. It will be interesting to see where the affected units end up.

Unfortunately, closing overseas bases is the only option since they don't fall within any congressional districts/states. I'm quite sure that if the AF had its way we would have a full blown CONUS BRAC, while leaving the strategic overseas locations open. That would probably make more sense, especially considering the growing Russian and Chinese threats.

SomeRandomGuy
01-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Close them all. Bring everyone home. It isn't our job to defend other countries. I don't see any foreign military bases in the United States. Why is it that we feel the need to have bases in other soverign nations? Close them down and give the bases to the host countries. If we need to use them in the future for logistical reasons an agreement can be worked out. Sure that will cost money but it will still be cheaper than COLA and support costs for military and their overseas dependants.

Stalwart
01-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately, closing overseas bases is the only option since they don't fall within any congressional districts/states. I'm quite sure that if the AF had its way we would have a full blown CONUS BRAC, while leaving the strategic overseas locations open. That would probably make more sense, especially considering the growing Russian and Chinese threats.

And unfortunately, based on my time on the Hill I agree with you. The services have ID'd some CONUS installations that they would like to close but they lack the authority to do it.

One work around I saw was the movement of a squadron (not a base closure) which does not really require Congressional approval ... it still met a lot of resistance and caused that service some pain for a while.

Rainmaker
01-08-2015, 04:39 PM

Are they threatening us?

sandsjames
01-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Mildenhall was the best assignment of my career, by far. Sad to see it go. Too bad they can't close shitty bases in shitty locations. The good thing is that it's not going to hurt the community too much, since it's all shared with Lakenheath.

Might as well just move everything to Ramstein. They need about 4 more HQ buildings and it might give them some sort of justification for all the money spent there on base services. We all know that the only base that really matters in Europe anyway...at least to those who decide where funding goes.

sandsjames
01-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately, closing overseas bases is the only option since they don't fall within any congressional districts/states. Well, it's the only option for those who are more worried about getting re-elected rather than doing what's necessary.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Are they threatening us?

Depends who you talk to. How about I change the word "threat" to "potential future adversaries?"

sandsjames
01-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Depends who you talk to. How about I change the word "threat" to "potential future adversaries?"

Aren't there McDonald's in both of those countries? If so, then history tells us we have nothing to worry about.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Aren't there McDonald's in both of those countries? If so, then history tells us we have nothing to worry about.

The key is to keep McDonalds in business then.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-20/putins-latest-target-more-than-200-russian-mcdonalds

sandsjames
01-08-2015, 05:42 PM
The key is to keep McDonalds in business then.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-20/putins-latest-target-more-than-200-russian-mcdonalds

As soon as the last one is closed down, we bomb.

garhkal
01-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Wow. My home town of Bury St Edmunds is close to Mildenhall and i enjoyed many a visit to that base, though Lakenheath was always better for shopping. Never went to Alconbury but my father did when he was in the AF.
Sucks that they are closing them down.

LogDog
01-09-2015, 12:07 AM
I was stationed at the clinic at RAF Upwood, whose main support base was RAF Alconbury, and left in 1988. I knew Alconbury had drawn down and was a shadow of its former self. I couldn't understand why they even kept it open this long.

As for RAF Mildenhall, I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath in the mid-90s and lived for about a year across from Mildenhall in Beck's Row. From what I rememver, Mildenhall was basically there to handle cargo aircraft. I guess with fewer bases in the UK and Europe there isn't as much need for a single base to handle cargo aircraft.

LogDog
01-09-2015, 12:10 AM
Overseas closures are easier because there's no Congressional approval needed to close overseas bases whereas stateside bases there has to be a long process involving Congress and the President to close a base. The politics involved with stateside closures almost makes it worthless to try today.

giggawatt
01-09-2015, 11:35 AM
The question is where are the tankers going? I assume Ramstein since they said they would be moving to Germany. Information so far has confirmed that the 352 SOG will move to Spangdahlem while the 606 ACS goes to Aviano.

sandsjames
01-09-2015, 01:11 PM
The question is where are the tankers going? I assume Ramstein since they said they would be moving to Germany. Information so far has confirmed that the 352 SOG will move to Spangdahlem while the 606 ACS goes to Aviano.

Yes, the article says Ramstein.

DannyJ
01-09-2015, 01:57 PM
I loved the location, hated the mission. Between the SOG and the ARW it was exercises and inspections constantly. I really enjoyed England and the area. Jolly good.

giggawatt
01-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Yes, the article says Ramstein.

Well shit. I missed that small detail. Probably cuz I was read it on my phone.

garhkal
01-09-2015, 07:31 PM
I was stationed at the clinic at RAF Upwood, whose main support base was RAF Alconbury, and left in 1988. I knew Alconbury had drawn down and was a shadow of its former self. I couldn't understand why they even kept it open this long.

As for RAF Mildenhall, I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath in the mid-90s and lived for about a year across from Mildenhall in Beck's Row. From what I rememver, Mildenhall was basically there to handle cargo aircraft. I guess with fewer bases in the UK and Europe there isn't as much need for a single base to handle cargo aircraft.

Mildenhall was also the only facility in the UK to handle MAC flights. SO will they shift that responsibility to Lakenheath?

BENDER56
01-10-2015, 12:59 AM

I was NCOIC of the medical aid station (MAS) at Molesworth from '94 to '97. My chain of command went through Upwood. I got there at the tail end of the drawdown, but got to experience a taste of the vibrant community Alconbury was before it disappeared. It was actually very depressing to watch it go away.

The Upwood clinic went from a 125-person medical squadron to a 40-person medical flight. Its potential patient population was supposed to go to the Mildenhall/Lakenheath area, but that never happened because they belatedly realized there wasn't enough housing available in that area to handle the members and families of the missions that were transferred there. So they decided to leave Alconbury open for its housing and support facilities.

For the three years I was there, the Upwood clinic personnel went batty trying to meet the same demand for patient care with one-third of the personnel. It sucked big time for them.

I had it slightly easier at the MAS, but the clinic dumped a slew of extra duties on me because I "didn't do anything" out there. Right.

England rocked, though.

I used to go to Lakenheath for my annual IDMT refresher training. We prolly crossed paths.

KnuckleDragger
01-10-2015, 01:54 AM
No more Galaxy Club?

Airborne
01-10-2015, 04:15 AM
No more Galaxy Club?

This^. Had a blast at Mildenhall and hope they at least keep Lakenheath alive. As some of us old folks know one of the things that makes a base great is when it's a smaller base. If Lakenheath becomes a "superbase" it will lose some of it's luster. I love what USAFE has to offer, but would never want to be stationed at Ramstein due to size and however many HQs are there. And of course you can say, "just centralize everything in Ramstein, K-town, whatever". There has to be base and supporting community infrastructure before you can move a whole base somewhere or there will be growing pains. Just ask the people who were the first ones at Cannon when AFSOC took over.
If you dont support overseas bases, then hopefully you dont support overseas contingencies. If you have been to OIF/OEF, you probably stopped in USAFE. Whilst you were there damn near every supply, bullet, canned food, ream of paper, probably came from or through the UK/Ramstein.

DannyJ
01-10-2015, 08:18 PM
No more Galaxy Club?

Honestly, as of 2012, when I left, it really didn't live up to the stories of old.

sandsjames
01-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Honestly, as of 2012, when I left, it really didn't live up to the stories of old.

It hasn't been good since the late 90s. The "new" G-club never came close to the little hole in the wall G-club. Of course it didn't help once they fence it all in either. Stop bussing in the local girls and you're stuck with military chicks. Nobody wants that.

Rollyn01
01-10-2015, 08:58 PM
It hasn't been good since the late 90s. The "new" G-club never came close to the little hole in the wall G-club. Of course it didn't help once they fence it all in either. Stop bussing in the local girls and you're stuck with military chicks. Nobody wants that.

I don't know. Some of those AF chicks look good and I heard their "skill set" is outstanding.

KnuckleDragger
01-10-2015, 10:22 PM

Post of the year!

Airborne
01-11-2015, 02:03 AM

I was there long after the "new" g club was built, fenced in, and girls stopped being bussed in and stories about it being on playboys top ten Euro clubs, etc. Whilst it may have never lived up to that, there were plenty of British girls that worked all over both bases that had access and plenty of permanent party and TDY GIs that were willing to work on their "skillset". Plus when the rotator was still going there, there would always be a fresh batch of GIs/dependents that were more than willing to see what time it was. I smashed a lot of british and american girls in the g club. Good place for lunch and good place to grab a cold one with coworkers on the way home.

sandsjames
01-11-2015, 12:32 PM
I was there long after the "new" g club was built, fenced in, and girls stopped being bussed in and stories about it being on playboys top ten Euro clubs, etc. Whilst it may have never lived up to that, there were plenty of British girls that worked all over both bases that had access and plenty of permanent party and TDY GIs that were willing to work on their "skillset". Plus when the rotator was still going there, there would always be a fresh batch of GIs/dependents that were more than willing to see what time it was. I smashed a lot of british and american girls in the g club. Good place for lunch and good place to grab a cold one with coworkers on the way home.

I'm not saying that the club itself wasn't good. It was a very nice, modern club that they spent a lot of money on. It just wasn't the same. Though that's not really specific to Mildenhall. That's pretty much a change in clubs AF wide, whether new or not. Probably more to do with the change in the culture surrounding the clubs than anything else.