PDA

View Full Version : What Pisses Me Off!

Stalwart
01-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Feel free to post a short message about something that just gets your goat.

Stalwart
01-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Why can't we use normal street addresses on bases vice "Building 12345?"

Why can't Building 14 be next to Building 15?

If we are going to use building numbers the way we do, why not display the building numbers prominently (big) on every side? One small placard on the corner behind a bush is annoying.

sandsjames
01-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Why must I go through 4 PCMs in one year when the purpose of a PCM is to have the same doctor each time?

What's the point of medical records when I'm required to give an entire medical history every time I have an appointment?

SomeRandomGuy
01-07-2015, 03:40 PM
People who have one comletely irrelevant job but they treat it like it is the most important thing in the whole world. For example a person emailed me a while back to re-certify that I still need access to a system I use every day. Never mind the fact that I use the system every single day and they could just look at my history in the system. Anyways, this person tells me I must fill out a DD2875 (Request for Access) to certify that I am still authorized to use said system.

Even though I don't agree I fill out said form and route it to my supervisor and security to verify my clearance. After obtaining required signatures I send said 2875 to original person and he tells me it's the wrong form. Mind you this is the form HE SENT ME. He then sends me a new 2875 and tells me he needs it back today or he will shut my access off. My supervisor is out of the office so I can't get the new 2875 signed (only one line different on the whole form)

Needless to say it pisses me off when someone has a pointless job and they take their power way to seriosuly. Obviously, I still require access to the system dummy. I use it every day.

Rainmaker
01-07-2015, 04:13 PM
People who have one comletely irrelevant job but they treat it like it is the most important thing in the whole world. For example a person emailed me a while back to re-certify that I still need access to a system I use every day. Never mind the fact that I use the system every single day and they could just look at my history in the system. Anyways, this person tells me I must fill out a DD2875 (Request for Access) to certify that I am still authorized to use said system.

Even though I don't agree I fill out said form and route it to my supervisor and security to verify my clearance. After obtaining required signatures I send said 2875 to original person and he tells me it's the wrong form. Mind you this is the form HE SENT ME. He then sends me a new 2875 and tells me he needs it back today or he will shut my access off. My supervisor is out of the office so I can't get the new 2875 signed (only one line different on the whole form)

Needless to say it pisses me off when someone has a pointless job and they take their power way to seriosuly. Obviously, I still require access to the system dummy. I use it every day.

Stuff like this is exactly the reason Rainmaker left Government Service. Probably 50% of the positions could go away and things would actually work better.

sandsjames
01-07-2015, 04:21 PM
The new EPR forms designed to be easier...then having squadron leadership state that they also need all of the feedback forms turned in along with the EPRs so that they can properly rank everyone.

sandsjames
01-07-2015, 04:23 PM

Agree...if I'm required to take care of all my own paperwork for finances (DTS, vouchers, waivers, etc) then what's the point of a finance office? :D

SomeRandomGuy
01-07-2015, 04:49 PM
Agree...if I'm required to take care of all my own paperwork for finances (DTS, vouchers, waivers, etc) then what's the point of a finance office? :D

I say this all the time. A few months back we had a briefing from the safety guy in my unit. He was talking about filling out the mishap reporting form. He stopped and said, "look, if you have a mishap just come talk to me and I will do it for you. I fill this form out all the time" That's the way it should be. He's the safety guy he knows what belongs on the form. It's his job.

The problem with finance though is that we had to give away all our manning when we got these awesome new systems so you could do it yourself. For a while after MyPay came out people would still come to finance to start allotments or change direct deposit. I would point them to our kiosk in the lobby and tell them to do it theirself. Sure, I could do it for you but that's not what leadership decided was best. I'm just following orders.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Why must I go through 4 PCMs in one year when the purpose of a PCM is to have the same doctor each time?

What's the point of medical records when I'm required to give an entire medical history every time I have an appointment?

How about when they hand you a clipboard to fill out two pages of your entire medical history, only to have the tech ask you again for your entire history? I asked them once if they'd ever heard about Lean, and they're like, "what's Lean?"

Measure Man
01-07-2015, 08:16 PM
How about when they hand you a clipboard to fill out two pages of your entire medical history, only to have the tech ask you again for your entire history? I asked them once if they'd ever heard about Lean, and they're like, "what's Lean?"

From what I'm gathering, that is actually an intended "double check" because some of that stuff is pretty important...like allergies.

I'm not a medical expert by any means, but after some recent appointments and stuff some of the nurses alluded to the fact that having you write it down, and then again having the staff hear it directly from you was intentional.

sandsjames
01-07-2015, 08:36 PM
From what I'm gathering, that is actually an intended "double check" because some of that stuff is pretty important...like allergies.

I'm not a medical expert by any means, but after some recent appointments and stuff some of the nurses alluded to the fact that having you write it down, and then again having the staff hear it directly from you was intentional.

That could be, but I honestly think it's because they are so overbooked (short on Dr's) that they don't have the time to review the records.

Measure Man
01-07-2015, 08:56 PM
That could be, but I honestly think it's because they are so overbooked (short on Dr's) that they don't have the time to review the records.

If it hadn't been this same way for over 30 years at every doctor's office in the world, I might say you could be onto something...but, I don't think so.

sandsjames
01-07-2015, 11:29 PM
If it hadn't been this same way for over 30 years at every doctor's office in the world, I might say you could be onto something...but, I don't think so.

My wife sees the same doctor every time, over the last couple years. She never has to answer those questions because the Dr and her have a normal Dr/patient relationship where the medical professional actually shows interest in the patient's health. Unfortunately, in the socialized medicine of the military system, it's all about getting people in and out as fast as possible.

Capt Alfredo
01-08-2015, 09:41 AM
The mods banning just about every half-prolific poster left on the Military Times Forum. I think I heard a death rattle.

giggawatt
01-08-2015, 01:33 PM
When your manning is so short that you can barely get by doing the minimum but they still take every available body to do base cleanup/beautification because of the Installation Excellence Award team that's coming next week. So now, we can't even get the minimum done.

Mjölnir
01-08-2015, 01:50 PM
The What Pisses Me Off thread seems to be growing much more quickly than the What Makes Happy thread.

efmbman
01-08-2015, 02:17 PM
The What Pisses Me Off thread seems to be growing much more quickly than the What Makes Happy thread.

Of course... everyone will remember the thorn in the palm, few remember the beauty of the rose.

Rainmaker
01-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Of course... everyone will remember the thorn in the palm, few remember the beauty of the rose.

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

Rainmaker
01-08-2015, 03:27 PM

“Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.”
― Lou Holtz

Stalwart
03-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Alzheimer's disease.

It robs someone of their life without giving them the dignity of taking their life.

God f-ing dammit.

Mjölnir
05-06-2015, 06:49 AM
Cannot. Sleep.

:(

Bos Mutus
05-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Cannot. Sleep.

:(

Melatonin...

Mjölnir
07-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Had the coupling to the water supply line in the upstairs bathroom burst. It gushed water for about 10 hours, that cascaded down through the 1st floor powder room, family room, hallway and foyer into the basement ... which left about 3 inches of water in our basement.

Good news: $500 deductible and everything else is covered.

Bad news: alot of the 2d floor hardwood, most of the 1st floor ceiling, family room hardwood floor, alot of wall is a total loss. Basement ceiling, carpet & pad, all of about 1/2 and the first 3 feet for the other is a total loss. Looks like our house will be a construction zone for a while again.

Mjölnir
07-15-2015, 09:33 PM
Had the coupling to the water supply line in the upstairs bathroom burst. It gushed water for about 10 hours, that cascaded down through the 1st floor powder room, family room, hallway and foyer into the basement ... which left about 3 inches of water in our basement.

Good news: $500 deductible and everything else is covered.

Bad news: alot of the 2d floor hardwood, most of the 1st floor ceiling, family room hardwood floor, alot of wall is a total loss. Basement ceiling, carpet & pad, all of about 1/2 and the first 3 feet for the other is a total loss. Looks like our house will be a construction zone for a while again.

Tally so far:

Personal Property: 20k
Structural Loss: 50k

I haven't drank since June of 1995 ... I may revisit old habits.

Bos Mutus
07-15-2015, 09:36 PM
Tally so far:

Personal Property: 20k
Structural Loss: 50k

I haven't drank since June of 1995 ... I may revisit old habits.

Ugghhh...that sucks so bad.

Water leaks are my big fear...we had one last year, but fortunately it was underneath the raised foundation...so no real damage.

Mjölnir
07-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Ugghhh...that sucks so bad.

Water leaks are my big fear...we had one last year, but fortunately it was underneath the raised foundation...so no real damage.

Well, I have spent 3 years renovating ... luckily the thing that broke was in a room I had not touched ... (insurance would still cover but ... pride.)

Good news is it looks like I am getting that new basement, and floor, and couch ... and beds ... and ... and ...

What really sucks is a couple of my old photo albums were in a box down there and I had not digitized the photos. Am trying to dry them out right now ... some I don't think will make it ...

Rusty Jones
05-03-2016, 06:31 PM
One thing that's been bothering me lately: whenever there's a news article on Facebook about a new piece of military equipment and its capabilities, or we're about to send 200 troops to some country oversears, or whatever... there's always those douchebags that always have to bring up "OPSEC." As if they're the experts.

Every time... I have to tell this idiots: field grade officers in public affairs, sometimes even Generals and Admirals, are the ones who make sure that this information is clear to release to the press. And they're FAR more qualified to determine what does and doesn't violate OPSEC than some E4 or E5 on facebook who needs to shut fuck up and worry about their own job instead of questioning the ability of senior officers to do theirs.

WILDJOKER5
05-03-2016, 07:37 PM
One thing that's been bothering me lately: whenever there's a news article on Facebook about a new piece of military equipment and its capabilities, or we're about to send 200 troops to some country oversears, or whatever... there's always those douchebags that always have to bring up "OPSEC." As if they're the experts.

Every time... I have to tell this idiots: field grade officers in public affairs, sometimes even Generals and Admirals, are the ones who make sure that this information is clear to release to the press. And they're FAR more qualified to determine what does and doesn't violate OPSEC than some E4 or E5 on facebook who needs to shut fuck up and worry about their own job instead of questioning the ability of senior officers to do theirs.

Yeah, I hate reading comments on FB because of the idiots like that. Only once did I see an OPSEC violation in FB and that was some chic saying they were leaving Balad at this time on this day.

garhkal
05-04-2016, 04:39 AM
Thing is on those 'deployments etc', we who are GETTING deployed always get the same "Don't tell anyone when/where, etc". BUT then they tell everyone via a press release!

Rusty Jones
05-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Thing is on those 'deployments etc', we who are GETTING deployed always get the same "Don't tell anyone when/where, etc". BUT then they tell everyone via a press release!

Sometimes, I think the purpose of "OPSEC" is to make every young boot feel more important than they really are.

"Yes! I know military stuff that I can't tell! NEAT!"

Everything you're told not to say is all over the internet.

garhkal
05-04-2016, 06:16 PM
Which is why i never understood why they actually DID punish people for breaking that opsec... Especially when its already out there.

Mjölnir
10-08-2016, 12:57 AM
Not really pisses me off, more what makes me sad.

An old friend from the Marines retired 2 years ago, wonderful family ... 5 kids. His oldest, first son severely handicapped and in near constant pain with seizures and wheelchair bound. Found out his son passed at 16 this week, passed in his sleep in his room. My friend is so torn up, that his boy died in his room alone ... at home but alone.

Held my daughter a little closer and longer tonight.

Mjölnir
10-30-2016, 10:48 AM
The amount of effort to respond to an IG complaint from a Chief upset that her request to dye her hair pink for breast cancer awareness was denied.

Hope the butt hurt does not become chronic, don't want her kept out of the next war.

garhkal
10-30-2016, 06:11 PM
The amount of effort to respond to an IG complaint from a Chief upset that her request to dye her hair pink for breast cancer awareness was denied.

Hope the butt hurt does not become chronic, don't want her kept out of the next war.

Which base did that happen on?!?

Mjölnir
10-30-2016, 06:34 PM
Which base did that happen on?!?

Don't want to be too specific. Will say it was within the Naval District of Washington D.C.

efmbman
10-30-2016, 08:04 PM

Retiring was the right choice for me. I don't miss the bullshit like that and I can only speculate that it will get worse in the coming years. That kind of bullshit takes up precious time of senior leadership and their staff which would be better spent on operations, planning and training.

garhkal
10-31-2016, 04:38 PM
So am i. BUT at least the request (which imo was a stupid one) was denied...

garhkal
11-13-2016, 02:53 AM
You guys know those days where you occasionally find a dollar bill, or even a fiver/tenner on the ground (or in the case of those self serve kiosks at supermarkets, in the cash dispenser for change).. Well it seems it was My turn to be the durned fool who dropped a bill and in my case it was a tenner.. Still wracking my brain as to WHERE i dropped it, but i had 31 bucks this morning, spent 15 so should have 16 left.. but only can find 6 in my wallet....:mad:

Now admittedly over the past 7 or so years in the states i have picked up probably close to 45 bucks on the ground/from those machines that others have dropped.. BUT still losing a tenner in one flop.. GRRR

Mjölnir
02-17-2017, 01:37 PM
Lip and palate surgery #15 for my daughter in 3 years. She is a tough kid ... I hate that she has to be tough instead of being a little girl.

If anyone wonders about how good our medical coverage can be, in 3 years she has had over $1 million worth of procedures done at Johns Hopkins by the best cleft team in the country. They can give me vitamin M for a compound fracture all they want as long as they continue to take care of her the way they do.

sandsjames
02-17-2017, 01:52 PM
Lip and palate surgery #15 for my daughter in 3 years. She is a tough kid ... I hate that she has to be tough instead of being a little girl.

If anyone wonders about how good our medical coverage can be, in 3 years she has had over $1 million worth of procedures done at Johns Hopkins by the best cleft team in the country. They can give me vitamin M for a compound fracture all they want as long as they continue to take care of her the way they do.

No doubt...Tricare is amazing, even with all the pain in the ass stuff. A guy I work with has a daughter who's had several heart surgeries in her first year of life. Multi-million dollars of surgeries and hospital care and he's paid less than $100 out of pocket.

Mjölnir
03-14-2017, 10:10 PM
1. Realizing that putting a pet down is the right thing to do -- had this one 15 years.

2. It bothering me as much as it does.

Did find this a bit warming though, even Superman had a pet:

http://i.imgur.com/a6QAnaJ.jpg