PDA

View Full Version : Disney Vacation?

Stalwart
12-25-2014, 11:02 PM
So, we are looking at taking our daughter to Disney World (FL) next year. For those of you that have done this before with kids, a couple of questions:

1. What is a good on-site reort hotel to stay at? We have stayed at Shades of Green before ... we are looking for something a bit more Disney-themed for this trip.

2. 1 day per park for a 5-year old ... enough? That is alot of walking.

3. Any suggestions on time of year?

thanks

BENDER56
12-26-2014, 01:52 AM
Speaking as a person who goes there a few times per year (because we live 90 minutes away and my son works there and he gets us in for free), I might be able to provide some useful info.

If money's no object, go ahead and book one of the on-site hotels. But you're going to pay way more than you would at Shades of Green. My son can get us 60% discounts on the resorts and it's still way cheaper for us to stay at Shades of Green (at E-7 rates -- your mileage may vary).

As for the time of year, it's least crowded in September and January. February can be good but avoid Presidents Day weekend. November and December are so packed the park reaches its capacity and they close the gates. Crowdedness is a big factor -- especially with a child so young. You want to spend your time in the attractions, not standing in line. I've seen three-hour waits for some attractions when the park is crowded. Can your daughter wait in line for three hours? I think September's ideal because the weather's pleasant as well. If you or -- more importantly -- your daughter doesn't like sweltering heat and humidity, avoid June, July and August at all costs. It's brutal.

It's not going to be a lot of walking for a five-year-old because you'll be pushing her around in a character-themed stroller -- cost extra, of course. Or, bring your own. Is a five-year-old too old for a stroller? Nope.

Speaking of which -- is a five-year-old too young to appreciate Disney World at all? Perhaps not, but be aware that that possibility exists. I've witnessed countless parents at Disney World trying to get crying toddlers interested in things they couldn't care less about. I've also sat silently and bit my tongue while listening to young parents tell me about the magical trip they're planning to Disney World for their three-year-old. Really? Why? A three-year-old not only won't give a crap about any of it, he probably won't ever remember any of it.

Magic Kingdom offers the most attractions for a five-year-old. Epcot will bore her to tears. Literal tears. Hollywood Studios has some attractions for someone her age and if she likes animals, Animal Kingdom could work. Park hopper passes are more expensive so you might want to consider just spending all of your time in Magic Kingdom -- unless the vacation is also for you adults. On that note, if you're in Hollywood Studios and you'd like an adult beverage, find the Tune-in Lounge. It's a hidden gem.

Stalwart
12-26-2014, 01:59 AM
BENDER56

Thanks

Have had some friends who took 3, 4 or 5 year olds who have said she likely won't remember too much of the trip in the long run ... but their kids still had a great time. She is all about princesses and Disney; granted, she is 4 1/2 right now and by Spring she could be a Tom Boy.

We are looking at either MAR or late SEP/early OCT (when I get my leave periods from work.)

Agree, not looking to go to EPCOT unless it is just an afternoon.

Not overly worried about money -- but not wanting to be foolish but we are just looking for a different experience than when we were at Shades of Green. The packages we are looking at from ITT have park hoppers, which would give us some flexibility.

**and yes, am working a mid watch again tonight ... yay.

Measure Man
12-26-2014, 02:16 PM
BENDER56

Thanks

Have had some friends who took 3, 4 or 5 year olds who have said she likely won't remember too much of the trip in the long run ... but their kids still had a great time. She is all about princesses and Disney; granted, she is 4 1/2 right now and by Spring she could be a Tom Boy.

We are looking at either MAR or late SEP/early OCT (when I get my leave periods from work.)

Agree, not looking to go to EPCOT unless it is just an afternoon.

Not overly worried about money -- but not wanting to be foolish but we are just looking for a different experience than when we were at Shades of Green. The packages we are looking at from ITT have park hoppers, which would give us some flexibility.

**and yes, am working a mid watch again tonight ... yay.

I went a few years ago with my youngest daughter. Just the two of us, with a 5-day park hopper. She was, I think 11 or 12 at the time. It was one of the greatest weeks of my life.

We stayed here, at the "Disney All-star movies resort":
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/all-star-movies-resort/

Nothing real fancy about the place...and it's not really "on-site", it's a little off-site, but the Disney buses pick you up there...it did have a nice pool, but who is going to spend the day at the pool when you have a Disney park hopper pass?

Your hotel room key links to your account and can be used to by food/souvenirs/anything all throughout all of the parks...it is also your park hopper ticket. You tie that sucker around the kids' necks and yours, and you have nothing else to worry about...you don't need to bring any cash/credit cards, etc.

Buses pick you up at the hotel and go to all of the parks...and they run like every 10 minutes, so no long waits on the buses.

Five years old might be a little young to get the full enjoyment of everything Disneyworld offers, but I still think they'll enjoy it. Nothing saying you can't take them back when they're 8-10. That's about the ideal age, I think.

I'm in California now, so this year we took grandkids, aged 6 and 8, to Disneyland...not as great as DisneyWorld, but still an amazing day of bonding with the grandkids. Totally worth it. Happiest Place on Earth. The 6 year old did get scared on a lot of the rides...you don't realize how dark Disney stories are until you go on them with a 6-year old!

Nick Johnson
08-18-2017, 07:47 PM
I am living in Anaheim right now, Disney is definitely worth a visit if you have a family.