PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Attack From North Korea

sandsjames
12-19-2014, 01:21 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/19/politics/government-hacks-and-security-breaches-skyrocket/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So now that the Ebola crisis is over and done, it's time for a new "sky is falling" scare from the media. How I long for the days of the Y2K bug.

Rusty Jones
12-19-2014, 01:39 PM
What's unique about this? Kim Jong-Un threatened to attack us if the film was released. Now, it's not our government's fault, but the theaters and film companies caved!

Now think about this... I have never, not once, brandished myself as once who defends our freedom or anything to that affect because... let's face it, the LAST war where our freedom was at stake was World War II. Incidentally, WWII was the the last time the US declared war.

This shit right here? Kim Jong-Un is threatening our freedom of speech. And film companies and theaters caved. At what point do we actually defend our Constitution and do something about this?

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/12/north-korea-is-not-funny-the-interview-sony/383885/?single_page=true

North Korea is Not Funny

In recent months, the uproar over The Interview, a comedy about assassinating North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, has triggered an escalating set of reactions: retaliatory threats from North Korean officials; a sophisticated cyberattack on Sony Pictures, reportedly orchestrated by North Korea; a pledge by the hackers to physically attack theaters showing the film; and now, on Wednesday, Sony’s decision to cancel the movie’s December 25 release altogether, as movie-theater chains began backing out of screenings. The latest development is an act of craven self-censorship and appeasement—a troubling precedent by the Free World’s leading culture-makers. But rightful calls to defend freedom of expression and go ahead with the movie are also mixing with a far more dubious strain of thinking: that the film itself is a form of defiance against a dictatorial regime. It is not.

In The Interview, directed by the Canadian comics Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, a celebrity journalist (James Franco) and his producer (Rogen), tired of producing meaningless content, score a major scoop: an interview with Kim Jong Un (Randall Park). The CIA learns about the trip and recruits the two to kill the leader—a task that, judging from reports and leaked footage, someone eventually succeeds in doing.

The subject matter and backlash against it have prompted some to compare The Interview with Charlie Chaplin’s seminal The Great Dictator, a 1940 film that many believe courageously confronted a rising Hitler who had not yet openly challenged the United States. “As with Chaplin’s ballet with a globe, the hijinks of Rogen and Franco will also have a deadly serious subtext,” wrote Mark Davis at U.S. News & World Report. “Rogen, Franco and Sony Pictures are doing a brave thing. They are turning the weapon of ridicule on a regime that rests on the twin pillars of absolute worship of the Kim dynasty and sadism.” Rogen himself has thanked Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures, “for having the balls to make this movie.”

This film is not an act of courage. It is not a stand against totalitarianism, concentration camps, mass starvation, or state-sponsored terror. It is, based on what we know of the movie so far, simply a comedy, made by a group of talented actors, writers, and directors, and intended, like most comedies, to make money and earn laughs. The movie would perhaps have been better off with a fictitious dictator and regime; instead, it appears to serve up the latest in a long line of cheap and sometimes racism-tinged jokes, stretching from Team America: World Police to ongoing sketches on Saturday Night Live.

Humor can be a powerful tool for surviving in a closed society, and lampooning dictators can lend latent popular movements the confidence they need to challenge their oppressors. In Libya, dissidents heaped mockery on the Qaddafi family in the early stages of their Arab Spring revolution. In the Soviet Union, activists like Natan Sharansky employed dark humor to weather persecution and labor camps. In a “confrontation with evil,” Sharansky once observed, it is important “to take yourself and everything that’s happening very seriously, to understand that you are part of a very important historical process, and that’s why everything [that] you’ll say and do has tremendous importance for the future.” Nevertheless, he added, “it’s very important not to take anything seriously, to be able to laugh at everything, at the absurdity of this regime, at this KGB prison, and even at yourself.”

Yes, North Korea has long been ruled by an eccentric dynasty of portly dictators with bad haircuts. Yes, the propaganda the regime regularly trumpets to shore up its cult of personality is largely ridiculous. And yes, we on the outside know better, and can take comfort in pointing fingers and chuckling at the regime’s foibles.

But it takes no valor and costs precious little to joke about these things safely oceans away from North Korea’s reach. When a North Korean inmate in a political prison camp or a closely monitored Pyongyang apparatchik pokes fun at Kim Jong Un and the system he represents—that is an act of audacity. It very literally can cost the person’s life, and those of his or her family members. To pretend that punchlines from afar, even in the face of hollow North Korean threats, are righteous acts is nonsense.

What’s more, crowding the North Korea “story” with anecdotes of nutty behavior and amusing delusions may ironically benefit those in charge in Pyongyang. It serves to buffer and obscure the sheer evil of a regime that enslaves children and sentences entire families to death for crimes of thought, while building ski resorts, dolphinariums, and other luxury escapes for elites with funds that could feed its malnourished people for several years. How many people would have watched The Interview and concluded that they should do something to help change this odious regime and bring about human rights for North Koreans?

In Charlie Chaplin’s 1964 autobiography, the star discussed the backlash that he faced from Hollywood and the German and British governments when plans for The Great Dictator’s release were announced. He moved forward with the project despite these concerns, but years later suggested that he regretted that decision: “Had I known of the actual horrors of the German concentration camps, I could not have made The Great Dictator; I could not have made fun of the homicidal insanity of the Nazis.”

Kim Jong Un is human, too. I am sure he is, as executives and actors involved in The Interview tried to portray him, a “complex” and “multidimensional” man. But he and his barons are also representative of a singularly horrific system, one in which the scale and scope of suffering among 25 million North Koreans does not, as a recent United Nations inquiry noted, “have any parallel in the contemporary world.”

North Korea is not funny. It is hard to imagine a comparable comedy emerging about quirky Islamic State slavers or amusing and “complicated” genocidaires in the Central African Republic. The suffering in question is happening now, as I write.

The day will soon come when North Koreans are finally free, and liberated concentration camp survivors will have to learn that the world was more interested in the oddities of the oppressors than the torment of the oppressed.

sandsjames
12-19-2014, 01:44 PM
What's unique about this? Kim Jong-Un threatened to attack us if the film was released. Now, it's not our government's fault, but the theaters and film companies caved!

Now think about this... I have never, not once, brandished myself as once who defends our freedom or anything to that affect because... let's face it, the LAST war where our freedom was at stake was World War II. Incidentally, WWII was the the last time the US declared war.

This shit right here? Kim Jong-Un is threatening our freedom of speech. And film companies and theaters caved. At what point do we actually defend our Constitution and do something about this?

It's pathetic and embarrassing. Not the first this type of censorship has happened, though. In '06 with the movie where Bush gets assassinated (can't remember the name) the release was scrapped due to complaints. All the conservative media threw a fit and the movie studio caved. There were no threats of violence, and it was all internal, but it still led to changing the release of the film, limiting it to smaller, independent theaters.

As far as North Korea goes, for one we don't 100% if it was them who were involved to begin with. However, we should build a statue of Un and film 10,000 people pissing on it.

Rusty Jones
12-19-2014, 01:59 PM
As far as North Korea goes, for one we don't 100% if it was them who were involved to begin with. However, we should build a statue of Un and film 10,000 people pissing on it.

To my knowledge, we don't fuck with North Korea because we're scared of China. I imagine that their 40 million soldier army is a good reason for us to proceed with caution, but it's also my understanding that China won't intervene if North Korea attacks us first.

That leaves two options - we say "fuck China" and do something, or we let North Korea attack us first. Fuck, if I was Obama or anyone with the authority to do it, I'd BUY that film - so that it's now property of the US government - and then release it MYSELF. Tax payers won't have to worry, we'll make that money right back (and then some) through ticket sales.

SomeRandomGuy
12-19-2014, 02:27 PM
To my knowledge, we don't fuck with North Korea because we're scared of China. I imagine that their 40 million soldier army is a good reason for us to proceed with caution, but it's also my understanding that China won't intervene if North Korea attacks us first.

That leaves two options - we say "fuck China" and do something, or we let North Korea attack us first. Fuck, if I was Obama or anyone with the authority to do it, I'd BUY that film - so that it's now property of the US government - and then release it MYSELF. Tax payers won't have to worry, we'll make that money right back (and then some) through ticket sales.

So what happened here? Sony entertainment makes a movie about the assasination of a sitting world leader. The subject country of the movie hacks into Sony and steals embarrasing information in retaliation? That sounds like the plot of a shitty Seth Rogan movie.

Wait, the original movie that started this was a shitty Seth Rogan movie? #MindBlown

sandsjames
12-19-2014, 02:59 PM
So what happened here? Sony entertainment makes a movie about the assasination of a sitting world leader. The subject country of the movie hacks into Sony and steals embarrasing information in retaliation? That sounds like the plot of a shitty Seth Rogan movie.

Wait, the original movie that started this was a shitty Seth Rogan movie? #MindBlown

I'm all for this happening for every single Seth Rogen movie.

BENDER56
12-19-2014, 05:15 PM
This is an interesting issue and one which could have far-reaching effects on anyone's ability to accomplish anything in the future.

To start with, nobody knows who is behind the threats to Sony. Sure, we all assume it's North Korea and it certainly is consistent with their M.O., but it could be -- as I read one person opine -- that it's just a couple of guys over at 4Chan having some yuks.

But it doesn't really matter who it is. The lesson learned is that 'Murcans insist on living in a world without any risk whatsoever. And if someone says they're gonna blow up stuff and kill people if such-and-such happens, then such-and-such better damn well not happen. And it doesn't even matter if the risk is real or not. Do you actually think North Korea has operatives all over the USA just waiting for word from Dear Leader to act? And I sure as hell doubt any hackers have any capability in carrying out non-virtual-world retaliation. But no, we must make the risk-free response because If Even Only One Life Is Saved Then It's Worth It™.

Now, perhaps Sony doesn't care if releasing their movie causes theaters to be attacked, but I'm sure their lawyers convinced them it was in their best interests not to invite potential liability settlements should it come to pass.

Which brings up another point; this has nothing at all to do with censorship. It's extortion. The US gummint isn't telling Sony not to release their movie -- in fact the white house press secretary said that they support artistic freedom and Sony can do what they want.

Anyway, I now fear that we live in a world in which every hacker who thinks he can cover his tracks will extort anyone into doing/not doing whatever he wants by threatening mayhem. And due to our abject fear of risk, he'll succeed.

Rusty Jones
12-19-2014, 05:33 PM
But it doesn't really matter who it is. The lesson learned is that 'Murcans insist on living in a world without any risk whatsoever. And if someone says they're gonna blow up stuff and kill people if such-and-such happens, then such-and-such better damn well not happen. And it doesn't even matter if the risk is real or not. Do you actually think North Korea has operatives all over the USA just waiting for word from Dear Leader to act? And I sure as hell doubt any hackers have any capability in carrying out non-virtual-world retaliation. But no, we must make the risk-free response because If Even Only One Life Is Saved Then It's Worth It™.

This, right here, is my biggest fear. We have failed as a nation if we let North Korea strip us of our Constitional right to freedom of speech. That's what we - the military are here for - defend that right. I'm sure people will think it's "just a movie," but if ANYTHING in recent history warrants a declaration of war, it's any attack from North Korea in response to an American exercising his or her right Constitutional rights.

garhkal
12-19-2014, 08:59 PM
I actually feel hacking is a BIG threat. Whether its internet criminals stealing peoples identity to foreign governments cracking our secrets.
But what i wish would happen, is the powers that be allow the NSA to use all that computing capacity they have, to actually go AFTER these hackers.. Whether they be foreign citizens, or not, and crush their computers. And if needed, give the GPS coordinates of the building the hacks are coming from to a drone or three and blow the damn building up!

garhkal
12-19-2014, 09:05 PM
This is an interesting issue and one which could have far-reaching effects on anyone's ability to accomplish anything in the future.

To start with, nobody knows who is behind the threats to Sony. Sure, we all assume it's North Korea and it certainly is consistent with their M.O., but it could be -- as I read one person opine -- that it's just a couple of guys over at 4Chan having some yuks.

Now, perhaps Sony doesn't care if releasing their movie causes theaters to be attacked, but I'm sure their lawyers convinced them it was in their best interests not to invite potential liability settlements should it come to pass.

Which brings up another point; this has nothing at all to do with censorship. It's extortion. The US gummint isn't telling Sony not to release their movie -- in fact the white house press secretary said that they support artistic freedom and Sony can do what they want.

Anyway, I now fear that we live in a world in which every hacker who thinks he can cover his tracks will extort anyone into doing/not doing whatever he wants by threatening mayhem. And due to our abject fear of risk, he'll succeed.

Exactly. Sony (and also paramount) have shown hackers, that even the threat of violence is enough to get them to cave in. For note. Paramount was going to re-release Team America for it's 10 year Anneversary, but pulled it over fears of security.

http://www.thewrap.com/paramount-pulls-plug-on-team-america-screenings-in-wake-of-sony-hack/

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/12/18/paramount-wont-let-theaters-screen-team-america-world-police/

Max Power
12-19-2014, 10:29 PM
https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/the-interview-cancel-sony-memes-1.jpg?w=780

Mjölnir
12-19-2014, 11:02 PM
/threads merged

Hacking and Cyber Attack from North Korea have been merged.

TJMAC77SP
12-20-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm all for this happening for every single Seth Rogen movie.

Particularly if they co-star James Franco.

TJMAC77SP
12-20-2014, 12:28 AM
I actually feel hacking is a BIG threat. Whether its internet criminals stealing peoples identity to foreign governments cracking our secrets.
But what i wish would happen, is the powers that be allow the NSA to use all that computing capacity they have, to actually go AFTER these hackers.. Whether they be foreign citizens, or not, and crush their computers. And if needed, give the GPS coordinates of the building the hacks are coming from to a drone or three and blow the damn building up!

It IS a BIG threat. Unfortunately the response is a lot more complicated than it seems. For example, one of the worst culprits in China is a PLA unit which is in the middle of Shanghai. A problematic target to say the least.

Rusty Jones
12-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Looks like Obama weighed in on this, and slammed Sony for pulling the movie - which I think is pretty spot-on, since no private entity in this country should be shouldering the burden of worrying about whether or not their exercise of freedom of speech will result in an attack on this country. Granted, I'm sure that it would have been smart for a Sony Pictures executive to speak with a few people in the Executive Branch in order to prepare for whatever the outcome is upon release.

Sony is claiming that they didn't cower, and that the theaters did. But still... can't theaters speak to local governments so that they can coordinate certain measures to make sure that everyone is safe?

Obama: Sony 'did the wrong thing' when it pulled movie
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2014/12/19/sony-the-interview-hackers-gop/20635449/

Rollyn01
12-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Looks like Obama weighed in on this, and slammed Sony for pulling the movie - which I think is pretty spot-on, since no private entity in this country should be shouldering the burden of worrying about whether or not their exercise of freedom of speech will result in an attack on this country. Granted, I'm sure that it would have been smart for a Sony Pictures executive to speak with a few people in the Executive Branch in order to prepare for whatever the outcome is upon release.

Sony is claiming that they didn't cower, and that the theaters did. But still... can't theaters speak to local governments so that they can coordinate certain measures to make sure that everyone is safe?

Obama: Sony 'did the wrong thing' when it pulled movie
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2014/12/19/sony-the-interview-hackers-gop/20635449/

And to top it all off, they want to prove that they didn't do it in a joint op. If the U.S. doesn't agree there will be "grave consequences".

http://experience.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/12/20/north-korea-joint-probe-sony-hacking/20686131/

garhkal
12-20-2014, 06:00 PM
It IS a BIG threat. Unfortunately the response is a lot more complicated than it seems. For example, one of the worst culprits in China is a PLA unit which is in the middle of Shanghai. A problematic target to say the least.

So just cause it is in the middle of a populated area, it should never get targeted?

Rollyn01
12-20-2014, 06:02 PM

If that's the understanding, would this mean that the NK struck first through cyber-warfare, and as such, China will sit this one out if we declare that it was an act of aggression? Might be the reason why they want to prove they didn't do anything.

Rusty Jones
12-20-2014, 06:22 PM
If that's the understanding, would this mean that the NK struck first through cyber-warfare, and as such, China will sit this one out if we declare that it was an act of aggression? Might be the reason why they want to prove they didn't do anything.

FBI is actually stating that North Korea did it.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/read-the-fbis-statement-on-north-koreas-cyber-attack-against-sony/

TJMAC77SP
12-20-2014, 07:59 PM
So just cause it is in the middle of a populated area, it should never get targeted?

Well, never is an absolute but the location certainly complicates things. I am sure you don't want thousands of civilians killed in a retaliation raid (were we ever to contemplate such a response against China).

Rollyn01
12-20-2014, 08:42 PM
FBI is actually stating that North Korea did it.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/read-the-fbis-statement-on-north-koreas-cyber-attack-against-sony/

Yeah, it sure looks so. Like I said before, this may be the reason why they are trying so hard to prove that they didn't do it. They're trying to "force" the U.S. into a joint op to declare their "innocence". This may be because they know that if this constitute an act of aggression, China won't have their back. With that said, North Korea would be looking down the barrel of our guns and they won't come out of it without massive damage to their political and diplomatic relations with any of their allies. The only thing I'm waiting to see is if China tries to actually side with us due to the economic support that we provide their country. North Korea isn't exactly supporting China the way we are and are only willing to join them in the fight due to political and racial similarities.

Stalwart
12-20-2014, 11:33 PM
Granted, I'm sure that it would have been smart for a Sony Pictures executive to speak with a few people in the Executive Branch in order to prepare for whatever the outcome is upon release.

I had read that Sony did consult the State Department about the script. I am actually a bit more surprised that someone from the Executive Office of the President at some point in the last week did not call Sony and ask what they were going to do.

Yeah, it sure looks so. Like I said before, this may be the reason why they are trying so hard to prove that they didn't do it. They're trying to "force" the U.S. into a joint op to declare their "innocence".

A joint investigation would be great for North Korea -- show us your sources and methods of how you know it was us. That would make it much easier to refine TTPs to be less detectable in the future. The offer to assist with the investigation is a pretty good

This may be because they know that if this constitute an act of aggression, China won't have their back. With that said, North Korea would be looking down the barrel of our guns and they won't come out of it without massive damage to their political and diplomatic relations with any of their allies.

This will not be declared an 'act of agression' -- Sony is not critical U.S. infrastructure; granted the damage will be in the millions, tens of millions ... but this is not the same as the U.S. banking or financial sectors ... this is very different.

This is very much in the "act of economic terrorism" category and that is more likely what the U.S. will officially label it ... the news may say "act of aggression" but the semantics/details are pretty important. We will not get in a shooting match over this.

MikeKerriii
12-21-2014, 01:44 AM

Unless you want a major war, Not targeting the citizens of a third nation is a good idea.

AKA: Sanity

garhkal
12-21-2014, 02:05 AM
Well, never is an absolute but the location certainly complicates things. I am sure you don't want thousands of civilians killed in a retaliation raid (were we ever to contemplate such a response against China).

That's the type of logic terrorists use when they use "human shields".. That we are too scared to kill civilians to take them out. Sorry, but if those civilians stay over a target, its on THEM if they get killed IMO.

Unless you want a major war, Not targeting the citizens of a third nation is a good idea.

AKA: Sanity

Is not their continued hacking of both our civilian corporations as well as government agencies an act of war?

Stalwart
12-21-2014, 02:24 AM
That's the type of logic terrorists use when they use "human shields".. That we are too scared to kill civilians to take them out. Sorry, but if those civilians stay over a target, its on THEM if they get killed IMO.

That is like saying the parents who put their children in the day-care at the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City have it "on them" that their children were killed in the bombing because it was a federal building ... a potential target. Civilians are civilians, that isn't to say that at some point part of the equation is the evaluation of collateral damage; but to say that the onus is on the civilian who is just living their life is simply removing the responsibility of the professional warfighter to conduct operations in line with the law of war.

Is not their continued hacking of both our civilian corporations as well as government agencies an act of war?

Hacking a civilian corporation isn't an act of war.

Activities towards a government agency is dependant:

Conducting network exploitation on a government agency is not an act of war, that is ISR.

Offensive operations toward government, critical infrastructure, major financial institutions, absolutely.

Rollyn01
12-21-2014, 02:41 AM
I had read that Sony did consult the State Department about the script. I am actually a bit more surprised that someone from the Executive Office of the President at some point in the last week did not call Sony and ask what they were going to do.

A joint investigation would be great for North Korea -- show us your sources and methods of how you know it was us. That would make it much easier to refine TTPs to be less detectable in the future. The offer to assist with the investigation is a pretty good

This will not be declared an 'act of agression' -- Sony is not critical U.S. infrastructure; granted the damage will be in the millions, tens of millions ... but this is not the same as the U.S. banking or financial sectors ... this is very different.

This is very much in the "act of economic terrorism" category and that is more likely what the U.S. will officially label it ... the news may say "act of aggression" but the semantics/details are pretty important. We will not get in a shooting match over this.

Since when have we let silly little things like laws and definitions get in the way of us waging war?

Rainmaker
12-21-2014, 03:05 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/19/politics/government-hacks-and-security-breaches-skyrocket/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So now that the Ebola crisis is over and done, it's time for a new "sky is falling" scare from the media. How I long for the days of the Y2K bug.

100's of Millions of citizens were put at risk in the Home Depot, Target and VA hackings, and .gov does nothing. But, just let a couple of Hollywood jews get publicly embarrassed and it's all of a sudden a matter of National Security.

In keeping with the Cloward-Piven strategy I'm sure dear Leader will issue an executive order telling us We must suspend the 1st amendment and lock down the internet to defend the constitution and keep ourselves safe from evil terrorists that only hate us for our freedoms.

BENDER56
12-21-2014, 04:46 AM
SCENE: Unified World Government Classroom

YEAR: 2050

ACT I; SCENE I

TEACHER: So class, who can tell me the name of the movie that started World War III?*

*Language to be determined

MikeKerriii
12-21-2014, 05:58 AM
That's the type of logic terrorists use when they use "human shields".. That we are too scared to kill civilians to take them out. Sorry, but if those civilians stay over a target, its on THEM if they get killed IMO. Those civilian we would be Murdering (taking out is just a way of lying" are citizens of the second most powerful nation on earth. When People in the US act againsy Chinese intersts are they allowed to m commit mass murder on American citizens? Idf so then manu nmation should feel free to target the NSA and the cities it is based in without fear of reprisal

Is not their continued hacking of both our civilian corporations as well as government agencies an act of war? Not even clone, at least to the same among us. One is financial inconvenienct, the other is infinitely more expensive in blood and treasure. that is like comparing jaywalking to mass murder

Rollyn01
12-21-2014, 02:21 PM
SCENE: Unified World Government Classroom

YEAR: 2050

ACT I; SCENE I

TEACHER: So class, who can tell me the name of the movie that started World War III?*

*Language to be a mixed of Mandarin slang and English Proper.

Like I said, China wants our business. They're not going to bite the hand that feeds them unless it suits them. Besides, if WW3 does happen, after North Korea gets it's ass handed to it on a platter, we would force unification by threaten to have China take over in full. They would sign to it in a heartbeat.

Rainmaker
12-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Like I said, China wants our business. They're not going to bite the hand that feeds them unless it suits them. Besides, if WW3 does happen, after North Korea gets it's ass handed to it on a platter, we would force unification by threaten to have China take over in full. They would sign to it in a heartbeat.

China is owned by the same Globalist Money Trust as everybody else.

Others People's Money--and How the Bankers Use It.

Rollyn01
12-21-2014, 03:20 PM
China is owned by the same Globalist Money Trust as everybody else.

Others People's Money--and How the Bankers Use It.

Is North Korea? If not, it would be Bank War I.

technomage1
12-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Read an interesting book on cyber warfare a few years back by the guy who set the cyber policy during the Clinton Administraton, Richard Clarke. It was really on point in the analysis of the possibilities and of the problems inherent in the subject. He pretty much predicted something like this was going to happen sooner or later, and discussed what the appropriate response could be. One fact that sticks out in my memory is the nature of cyber attacks is that they can be disguised to blame innocent parties. I'm not sure the process and certainty level associated with blaming NK for this, but there is a possibility they're being framed. To make matters worse, it's a possibility they're setting up the frame, ie, they did it, but want to make it look like they didn't and are being framed.

I've no idea if they did it or not, certainly they are crazy enough to do it.

Rollyn01
12-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Read an interesting book on cyber warfare a few years back by the guy who set the cyber policy during the Clinton Administraton, Richard Clarke. It was really on point in the analysis of the possibilities and of the problems inherent in the subject. He pretty much predicted something like this was going to happen sooner or later, and discussed what the appropriate response could be. One fact that sticks out in my memory is the nature of cyber attacks is that they can be disguised to blame innocent parties. I'm not sure the process and certainty level associated with blaming NK for this, but there is a possibility they're being framed. To make matters worse, it's a possibility they're setting up the frame, ie, they did it, but want to make it look like they didn't and are being framed.

I've no idea if they did it or not, certainly they are crazy enough to do it.

If this is a setup for us to blame North Korea, they're doing a good job. The Feds are matching up i.p. addresses and signatures to North Korea. If address spoofing and whatnot is at play, and that's a big if, then the question is who benefits the most in this attack?

technomage1
12-21-2014, 04:39 PM
If this is a setup for us to blame North Korea, they're doing a good job. The Feds are matching up i.p. addresses and signatures to North Korea. If address spoofing and whatnot is at play, and that's a big if, then the question is who benefits the most in this attack?

Russia or Anonymous immediately spring to mind. Not saying they did it, though. Only pointing out this isn't a straightforward business.

It's ironic to me NK even has the ability to do this, considering the vast majority of the population doesn't even have regular access to electricity. Or food.

Greg
12-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Here's an interesting opinion essay, I think, on the topic:

"History suggests skepticism about these stories of the North Korean hacking of Sony, given the history of US government and its corporate allies exaggerating the power of designated US foes. The Soviet Union was ominous superpower until it collapsed after years of internal rot (unnoticed by our lavishly funded intel agencies). Brian Honan (info security expert; bio here) reminds us of the 1998 “Solar Sunrise” attack by Iraq on US Army websites? US Deputy Defense Secretary John Hamre said it was “the most organized and systematic attack to date” on US military systems. A massive multi-agency task force eventually arrested 4 teenage boys."

http://fabiusmaximus.com/2014/12/20/rebuttal-holes-fbi-north-korea-sony-attack-74873/#more-7487

giggawatt
12-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Those civilian we would be Murdering (taking out is just a way of lying" are citizens of the second most powerful nation on earth. When People in the US act againsy Chinese intersts are they allowed to m commit mass murder on American citizens? Idf so then manu nmation should feel free to target the NSA and the cities it is based in without fear of reprisal

Not even clone, at least to the same among us. One is financial inconvenienct, the other is infinitely more expensive in blood and treasure. that is like comparing jaywalking to mass murder

Are you drunk or on your phone?

garhkal
12-21-2014, 07:01 PM
That is like saying the parents who put their children in the day-care at the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City have it "on them" that their children were killed in the bombing because it was a federal building ... a potential target. Civilians are civilians, that isn't to say that at some point part of the equation is the evaluation of collateral damage; but to say that the onus is on the civilian who is just living their life is simply removing the responsibility of the professional warfighter to conduct operations in line with the law of war.

There's a difference in putting your kids into day care in a federal building, and living/working above a say, known bomb making factory/hacker facility.

Hacking a civilian corporation isn't an act of war.

Activities towards a government agency is dependant:

Conducting network exploitation on a government agency is not an act of war, that is ISR.

Offensive operations toward government, critical infrastructure, major financial institutions, absolutely.

ISR?

Those civilian we would be Murdering (taking out is just a way of lying" are citizens of the second most powerful nation on earth. When People in the US act againsy Chinese intersts are they allowed to m commit mass murder on American citizens? Idf so then manu nmation should feel free to target the NSA and the cities it is based in without fear of reprisal

Not even clone, at least to the same among us. One is financial inconvenienct, the other is infinitely more expensive in blood and treasure. that is like comparing jaywalking to mass murder

So since sanctions won't do a damn thing, and we can't bomb them. What's left? A stern tantrum? Give them a time out?
I am getting sick and tired of being told "We can't do anything, just react to the hacks after the fact."

Rollyn01
12-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Russia or Anonymous immediately spring to mind. Not saying they did it, though. Only pointing out this isn't a straightforward business.

It's ironic to me NK even has the ability to do this, considering the vast majority of the population doesn't even have regular access to electricity. Or food.

Doesn't have to be many people, just the talented few... with botnet help of course. :D

Absinthe Anecdote
12-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Are you drunk or on your phone?

I think he is typing his posts on a cellphone while wearing mittens.

Nope, just with partially paralyzed hands

What does that mean?

It means between both hands I have full control of only three damned fingers.

Does this and your references to mortars and rockets mean that we are supposed to shut the fuck up and let you win arguments?

Be careful...

Rollyn01
12-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Be careful...

Wait, did I just missed an entire conversation? :looking out windows:

BENDER56
12-21-2014, 10:31 PM
I read an account of the attack in today's Tampa Bay Times and it said Sony's computer and communications systems were essentially destroyed. Sony employees are using their personal cell phones and email for everything.

Rusty Jones
12-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Anonymous claims to have already hacked Sony long before North Korea did, and is threatening to release the film themselves if Sony doesn't do it.

http://uproxx.com/movies/2014/12/anonymous-north-korea-plan-release-the-interview/

Rollyn01
12-22-2014, 05:26 PM
Anonymous claims to have already hacked Sony long before North Korea did, and is threatening to release the film themselves if Sony doesn't do it.

http://uproxx.com/movies/2014/12/anonymous-north-korea-plan-release-the-interview/

That would be awesome if they came through on that.

garhkal
12-22-2014, 06:25 PM
I disagree. To me Anonymous is nothing more than a bunch of cyber thugs.

sandsjames
12-22-2014, 06:33 PM
I think we should send Seth Rogen and James Flaco (as Mr. President repeatedly called him this weekend) to North Korea to apologize. Only then will we be free from any future movies starring either of them.

Rusty Jones
12-22-2014, 06:34 PM
I disagree. To me Anonymous is nothing more than a bunch of cyber thugs.

You act like they target the weak and powerless, when they do the exact opposite.

TJMAC77SP
12-22-2014, 07:57 PM
I think we should send Seth Rogen and James Flaco (as Mr. President repeatedly called him this weekend) to North Korea to apologize. Only then will we be free from any future movies starring either of them.

(based on the previews) They should both be wearing band-aids on their right hands when they get off the plane...............

sandsjames
12-22-2014, 08:32 PM
You act like they target the weak and powerless, when they do the exact opposite.

Does it matter?

garhkal
12-22-2014, 08:59 PM

I take it you consider them Cyber Robin hoods?

BENDER56
12-22-2014, 09:09 PM
Somebody cut off N. Korea's access to the internet.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-22/north-korea-undergoing-internet-outage-network-researcher-says.html

Stalwart
12-22-2014, 09:53 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-22/north-korea-undergoing-internet-outage-network-researcher-says.html

Yeah, imagine that.

garhkal
12-23-2014, 06:41 AM

Pity it wasn't permanent!

giggawatt
12-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Yeah, they lost internet to all 3 of their government buildings.

Rusty Jones
12-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Does it matter?

Yep.

I take it you consider them Cyber Robin hoods?

No, more like the will of the people.

dsmlacctv
12-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Nice movie

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Yep. Great point. Very convincing.

No, more like the will of the people.

Which people are those?

Rusty Jones
12-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Great point. Very convincing.

Which people are those?

People like you, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Rainmaker
12-23-2014, 01:59 PM
As usual this whole shit-show raises a few questions.

1. If SONY is a Japanese Company, Why is the USG even worried about the hacking of their servers?

2. What do Amy Pascal, Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and James Franco all have in common?

3. Who funded this movie?

Rusty Jones
12-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Sony Pictures is an American subsidiary of Sony. Saying that Sony Pictures is Japanese is like saying that Saab is American, because it's a subsidiary of General Motors.

Rainmaker
12-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Sony Pictures is an American subsidiary of Sony. Saying that Sony Pictures is Japanese is like saying that Saab is American, because it's a subsidiary of General Motors.

A subsidiary is a company Controlled by a holding company. The corporate ownership and the HQ (Holding Company) is Japanese.

The studio is only a small part of Sony Corp. The only reason this is an issue "Of National Security" that the POTUS needs to comment on is because Sony Pictures is part of the of propaganda machine used by the Globalist power structure. Most of whom are Dual Citizens of various nations and could give 2 shits about this country other than looting it and using it as a tool to usher in their vision.

If The SONY owners are smart. They will drop the studios and some other globalist oligarch corporation (probably Chinese) will buy it.

Third point LLC (A hedge Fund) is the largest share-holder of Sony. They are Offshore investors. They are also, heavily invested in Yahoo.

Their Egalitarian CEO, And brags quote "The only thing I care about ... is making money for my investors", Tearing down a sovereign Nation and destroying culture for a profit is the name of the game. he has also donated to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, Friends for Harry Reid, Obama for America, Forward Together PAC, Prosperity PAC, Straight Talk America, and the Volunteer PAC.

Most Americans are either blind to who actually runs this country or they're just willfully brainwashed and think it's a good idea.

Rainmaker
12-23-2014, 04:00 PM

You'd have to figure that Most of the "Anonymous" hackers are either on the .gov payroll or in jail by now.

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 04:51 PM
People like you, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.I don't give a shit about any of it, really. I do think, however, that people who feel it's ok to break the law is ok as long as it's done against "The Man" are hypocritical idiots. It's like saying that it's ok for the homeless guy to break into the rich guy's house to steal his shit. Moronic.

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 04:59 PM
I really hope nobody shows up. Not because of security concerns, but because this movie does not need to benefit from the recent publicity stunts.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/23/media/screening-the-interview/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

TJMAC77SP
12-23-2014, 05:07 PM
I don't give a shit about any of it, really. I do think, however, that people who feel it's ok to break the law is ok as long as it's done against "The Man" are hypocritical idiots. It's like saying that it's ok for the homeless guy to break into the rich guy's house to steal his shit. Moronic.

For most people, as with most issues. whether or not you feel anonymous is a 'robin hood' organization is up to your particular agenda and not really rooted in any real facts. For example you may cheer the group's attack on the Church of Scientology because you view them as a cult-like organization or because you are a self-proclaimed atheist and support any attack against organized religion but that ignores the big picture like a basic right to practice a religion of your choice.

How about their attack on a CA teen who runs a 'no-cussing' club (that's a real threat)? Where is the robin hood effect there?

Perhaps you cheer their attacks on various Tea Party websites because you don't like those "tea-baggers' and they don't after all, vote the way you do. Of course the tune would change if they attacked political party you actually supported.

How about their attack dubbed Shooting Sheriffs Saturday where they hacked dozens of sheriff's departments around the country, releasing a lot of private data? No particular reason was given. Where is the robin hood effect there?

The truth is that personally I have actually been happy about many of their attacks but I believe equally strongly that they need to be stopped and their members prosecuted whenever possible. They rail for internet freedom but actually use the internet to infringe on the freedom of those they don't agree with.

Rusty Jones
12-23-2014, 05:16 PM
I don't give a shit about any of it, really. I do think, however, that people who feel it's ok to break the law is ok as long as it's done against "The Man" are hypocritical idiots. It's like saying that it's ok for the homeless guy to break into the rich guy's house to steal his shit. Moronic.

Kind of like people who bitch about poor leadership and talk a big game about what makes good leaders, when they freely admit that they're poor leaders themselves? Yeah, people like that should just really shut the fuck up.

Rainmaker
12-23-2014, 05:40 PM

SJ, In theory I'd like to agree with you. But, The fact that the scumbags in CONgress (that are supposed to be representing us) continue to allow These financial parasites (that don't produce anything of value) to get filthy rich while millions of working Americans have been driven into poverty and lost pretty much everything and the fabric of our country gets torn to pieces, makes it difficult to feel sorry for them when they get hacked.

Rusty Jones
12-23-2014, 05:47 PM
SJ, In theory I'd like to agree with you. But, The fact that the scumbags in CONgress (that are supposed to be representing us) continue to allow These financial parasites (that don't produce anything of value) to get filthy rich while millions of working Americans have been driven into poverty and lost pretty much everything and the fabric of our country gets torn to pieces, makes it difficult to feel sorry for them when they get hacked.

It's okay. Classic case of Stockholm Syndrome. "The Man" has been fucking him over and over again, yet here he is defending "The Man." That's why I said... Anonymous does represent people like him, whether he wants to acknowledge it or not.

Rainmaker
12-23-2014, 06:18 PM
So Bill Cosby gets set up and torn to shreds in the media without one shred of credible evidence and yet these fucking racist Hollywood scum not only get a pass, they get POTUS free advertisement for their shit movie that no one was going to watch??

I guess the marketing strategy is , "Let's release it on Christmas day. So, hopefully the brainwashed Christian Sheeples would rather spend Jesus Birthday watching that disgusting, vile, fat pig, Piece of Garbage, Seth Rogen bang the typical smoking hot All-American blonde again.

Or hey maybe SONY's Japanese Nationalist ownership won't have to compete with Unbroken, The story of a real American Hero getting savagely tortured nearly to death in a Japanese POW camp in WW2? That book wasn't very PC!

And as added bonus .gov may get its internet kill switch just yet. These people are truly sick.

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 06:23 PM
It's okay. Classic case of Stockholm Syndrome. "The Man" has been fucking him over and over again, yet here he is defending "The Man." That's why I said... Anonymous does represent people like him, whether he wants to acknowledge it or not.

Never been fucked by "The Man". Not even duped into it. What is it exactly you like about a Anonymous?

Rusty Jones
12-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Never been fucked by "The Man". Not even duped into it. What is it exactly you like about a Anonymous?

See, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Kind of like people who bitch about poor leadership and talk a big game about what makes good leaders, when they freely admit that they're poor leaders themselves? Yeah, people like that should just really shut the fuck up.

That's a great argument. It's almost like saying you can't bitch about how shitty your team's quarterback is if you've never played quarterback. Or you can't bitch about politicians if you've never ran for office. You're a freakin' genius.

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 06:26 PM
See, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

You still haven't even attempted to explain why you think Anonymous is a good think. That's ok. Keep avoiding it by putting the focus on me.

Rusty Jones
12-23-2014, 06:27 PM
That's a great argument. It's almost like saying you can't bitch about how shitty your team's quarterback is if you've never played quarterback. Or you can't bitch about politicians if you've never ran for office. You're a freakin' genius.

Yeah, but you HAVE "played leader," TSgt James. You were in a position to do it, you were groomed to do it... and you've failed. Therein lies the difference.

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 06:28 PM

I don't feel sorry for them, specifically. If someone murders a murderer, it's still a crime.

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah, but you HAVE "played leader," TSgt James. You were in a position to do it, you were groomed to do it... and you've failed. Therein lies the difference.

I wasn't groomed to do it. I was put there based strictly on the fact that I had more TIG then someone else. And I did indeed fail. But what does that have to do with Anonymous? I bet you support the guy who shot and killed those two cops last weekend too, right? I mean, it was the little guy taking down those in positions of power.

Oh, and it's Mr. James...or Steve will work, too. I'm retired.

Rusty Jones
12-23-2014, 06:30 PM
You still haven't even attempted to explain why you think Anonymous is a good think. That's ok. Keep avoiding it by putting the focus on me.

Anonymous is a good thing, because they're a voice for the people who don't have one. People like you and me.

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Anonymous is a good thing, because they're a voice for the people who don't have one. People like you and me.

What voice are they? I just don't understand where they have ever done anything to benefit anyone other than their own egos.

Rainmaker
12-23-2014, 06:39 PM

Wrong Sj, You, Me, Rusty and every other American Citizen were f'd over by TARP and QE to the tune of $80 Billion each month, for the last 6 years. The amount of money printed and given at Zero Interest to banksters amounts to $40,000 for every man woman and child in the country. Money which could've been used to rebuild the country, or save millions of underwater homeowners from foreclosure. yet was used to prop up the stock market in which 95% of the country's citizens have no stake. The derivatives rule in the latest,lame duck Congress spending bill is setting us up to be further fleeced when they pull the plug on that (at a time of their choosing). Keep faithfully putting your money in your 401k and don't worry when it loses 60% of it's value. Just buy and hold baby....But, whatever...Kim Kardashian has a really fat ass gnomesayin?.

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Wrong Sj, You, Me, Rusty and every other American Citizen were f'd over by TARP and QE to the tune of $80 Billion each month, for the last 6 years. The amount of money printed and given at Zero Interest to banksters amounts to $40,000 for every man woman and child in the country. Money which could've been used to rebuild the country, or save millions of underwater homeowners from foreclosure. yet was used to prop up the stock market in which 95% of the country's citizens have no stake. The derivatives rule in the latest,lame duck Congress spending bill is setting us up to be further fleeced when they pull the plug on that (at a time of their choosing). But, whatever...Kim Kardashian has a really fat ass.

But not one of these things has changed a single thing in the way I live my life. Not Congress, not TARP, not banksters, not Kim Kardashian. So, if I am being duped, I've got no complaints.

And why would we want to save underwater homeowners? They fucked up. They suffer, just as the car companies and banks should have suffered. But I still can't figure out how any of this ties in to justifying illegal hacking by egotists.

Really, the only thing Anonymous is doing is giving more publicity to all of these "pigs" you are talking about (we know you mean Jews, just say it) so, in the long run, they are helping those they are claiming to hurt.

Oh, and I don't have a 401k, or any form of retirement/savings/etc, other than my military pension. I do have $.29 in saving right now, though. I hope I don't ever lose that.

Rainmaker
12-23-2014, 06:52 PM
But not one of these things has changed a single thing in the way I live my life. Not Congress, not TARP, not banksters, not Kim Kardashian. So, if I am being duped, I've got no complaints.

And why would we want to save underwater homeowners? They fucked up. They suffer, just as the car companies and banks should have suffered. But I still can't figure out how any of this ties in to justifying illegal hacking by egotists.

I appreciate your self-reliance. but, it matters because, When 50 Million Americans are on public assistance it effects all of us, whether we are on it ourselves or not. There is no free lunch. we are paying for it through the loss of purchasing power of our dollars, deliberate devaluing of our labor and Less opportunities for our country's children.

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Because, When 50 Million Americans are on public assistance it effects all of us, whether we are on it ourselves or not. There is no free lunch. we are paying for it through the loss of purchasing power of our dollars, deliberate devaluing of our labor and Less opportunities for our country's children.

I purchase pretty much what I want. And, again, what does this have to do with Anonymous somehow being the heroes?

Rainmaker
12-23-2014, 07:08 PM
I purchase pretty much what I want. And, again, what does this have to do with Anonymous somehow being the heroes?

Purchase what you want now. because, They are inflating away the debt and telling you there's no inflation. and you are losing about 5% of your Military retirement's purchasing power every year, and if things don't change, when you need it most you won't be able to afford it.

As for Anonymous I never said they were heroes, I said I had no sympathy for the traitorous scumbags getting hacked.

Hell, I'm not even sure Anonymous exists. I'd wager not. because, I think that if they did, by now, the government would've either co opted them or thrown them in jail. But, what do I know about it?? I told ya, bitches I'm a Rainmaker not a computer geek!

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 07:12 PM
I never said Anonymous were heroes, I said I had no sympathy for the traitorous scumbags getting hacked.
Hell, I'm not even sure Anonymous exists. I'd think that if they did, by now, the government would've either co opted them or thrown them in jail. But, what do I know about it?? I told ya, bitches I'm a Rainmaker not a computer geek!

I have no sympathy for those they hack, either. That doesn't make what they do OK.

I agree, though, that IF Anonymous exists that they are definitely working for Uncle Sam. That's what makes it all the more funny that people support them for what they do AGAINST the government. It's all part of the game. Those who think Anonymous are "for the people" are the ones being duped.

garhkal
12-23-2014, 07:28 PM
People like you, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

So secretly, everyone 'according to you' must want hackers to exist. Even those who have lost income, jobs and such cause of it.

Its only hyocritical if they don't then rant at criminals when they are the ones who are the victims.

For most people, as with most issues. whether or not you feel anonymous is a 'robin hood' organization is up to your particular agenda and not really rooted in any real facts. For example you may cheer the group's attack on the Church of Scientology because you view them as a cult-like organization or because you are a self-proclaimed atheist and support any attack against organized religion but that ignores the big picture like a basic right to practice a religion of your choice.

How about their attack on a CA teen who runs a 'no-cussing' club (that's a real threat)? Where is the robin hood effect there?

Perhaps you cheer their attacks on various Tea Party websites because you don't like those "tea-baggers' and they don't after all, vote the way you do. Of course the tune would change if they attacked political party you actually supported.

How about their attack dubbed Shooting Sheriffs Saturday where they hacked dozens of sheriff's departments around the country, releasing a lot of private data? No particular reason was given. Where is the robin hood effect there?

The truth is that personally I have actually been happy about many of their attacks but I believe equally strongly that they need to be stopped and their members prosecuted whenever possible. They rail for internet freedom but actually use the internet to infringe on the freedom of those they don't agree with.

While you have others like me, who are against ALL the attacks they have done, not cause i agree with the groups they hit, but cause i dislike how they do things. Where is the 'social justice' in releasing cops personal data? Shutting down a firms website, causing people to get laid off cause of loss of earnings.. Personally i feel they do a heck of a lot MORE harm than any good they MIGHT be doing.

Maybe rusty IS a member of Anonymous, and is trying to drum up support for their cause.?

So the ends justify the means, no matter who it harms, or how illegal it is?

Rainmaker
12-23-2014, 07:37 PM
I have no sympathy for those they hack, either. That doesn't make what they do OK.

I agree, though, that IF Anonymous exists that they are definitely working for Uncle Sam. That's what makes it all the more funny that people support them for what they do AGAINST the government. It's all part of the game. Those who think Anonymous are "for the people" are the ones being duped.

Rampant conspiracy theory is not the problem It's the symptom of what happens in a Nation when the criminals aren't held to account, the public mind becomes suspicious. One crazy story after another to the point where, No one believes any of this shit anymore or just can't care . look at the last decade. with the financial theft, the GWOT lies, all this other Bullshit. With all the Neocon and now the Neoliberal lies, people don't know what to believe and you can't trust your press to be truthful, or your elected officials to act with integrity, then the whole system starts falling apart. Anyone whose spent any time in a Military unit were trust is everything should understand this. But, sadly most people seem brain dead or they're like you and just happy with what they got. Things are going to get worse friend. we are heading to anarchy and anarchy inevitably leads to dictatorship. Hopefully, President Ebola can just keep the Neocons at bay for 2 more years and keep us out of WW3, until we can get a new party.

sandsjames
12-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Rampant conspiracy theory is not the problem It's the symptom of what happens in a Nation when the criminals aren't held to account, the public mind becomes suspicious. One crazy story after another to the point where, No one believes any of this shit anymore or just can't care . look at the last decade. with the financial theft, the GWOT lies, all this other Bullshit. With all the Neocon and now the Neoliberal lies, people don't know what to believe and you can't trust your press to be truthful, or your elected officials to act with integrity, then the whole system starts falling apart. Anyone whose spent any time in a Military unit were trust is everything should understand this. But, sadly most people seem brain dead or they're like you and just happy with what they got. Things are going to get worse friend. we are heading to anarchy and anarchy inevitably leads to dictatorship. Hopefully, President Ebola can just keep the Neocons at bay for 2 more years and keep us out of WW3, until we can get a new party.

And this is the same story we've been hearing for the last 50 years, from every new generation. It's just more noticeable now with all the social media and 24 hour news propaganda. Don't forget, the Cold War goes way back. We were at the edge of destruction then, we are at the edge of destruction now, and we will continue to be at the edge of destruction until the destruction happens. One can either spend all their time worried about the men in white coats knocking on their door or they can just live their lives because, I promise you, when it does happen we aren't going to be able to stop it. Oh well, I guess everyone needs a hobby. For some, it's toy trains. For others, it's living in fear. To each his own.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-24-2014, 09:24 AM

Do you also get wet over images of Che Guevara?

Rusty Jones
12-24-2014, 10:33 AM
I wasn't groomed to do it. I was put there based strictly on the fact that I had more TIG then someone else.

Those promotions were not forced upon you. You could have declined them. And, you WERE groomed. Just like everyone else who got promoted.

And I did indeed fail. But what does that have to do with Anonymous?

Nothing. It has EVERYTHING to do with your finger-pointing and name-calling that I was responding to when I mentioned it. Come on, learn to keep up!

I bet you support the guy who shot and killed those two cops last weekend too, right? I mean, it was the little guy taking down those in positions of power.

Wanna know what I believe about that?

Conspiracy Theory Suggests the NYPD Killed Two Police Officers To Drum Up Support
http://countercurrentnews.com/2014/12/conspiracy-theory-suggests-nypd-trying-drum-up-support/

Oh, and it's Mr. James...or Steve will work, too. I'm retired.

Hopefully, no longer in a position of leadership.

Getting fucked is okay as long as you can't feel it, right?

Like I said, Stockholm Syndrome. You protect the people that fuck you at the expense of those who can't do a damned thing to you.

If you think Anonymous is working for the government, you haven't been paying attention with how the US has been doing business in the past century. If the government was going to do the things that Anonymous does, do you think that they're going to announce it to the world first?

What happened in North Korea, by the way, wasn't something that it would take the US government or even Anonymous to do. There are experts saying that what was done is so easy, that it could have been done by a kid living in his mom and dad's basement that's pissed off because he can't see the movie.

So secretly, everyone 'according to you' must want hackers to exist.

No, not everyone. Just the weak and powerless - like you, me, and SJ. And not all of us WANT the hackers to exist - but we all BENEFIT from it.

Even those who have lost income, jobs and such cause of it.

Dude, since when have YOU cared about these things? Ah, only when it affects the rich and powerful. Do you really hate yourself that much?

So the ends justify the means, no matter who it harms, or how illegal it is?

I'd say so, but of course... the "legality" of something is strictly between the perpetrator and the justice system.

Do you also get wet over images of Che Guevara?

Nah, I only see metros wearing Che Guevara t-shirts. Maybe they do.

sandsjames
12-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Wanna know what I believe about that?

Conspiracy Theory Suggests the NYPD Killed Two Police Officers To Drum Up Support
http://countercurrentnews.com/2014/12/conspiracy-theory-suggests-nypd-trying-drum-up-support/ That doesn't surprise me. I mean, a black guy with a prior violent record killing two cops right after committing another serious crime isn't a real possibility. Are you serious with this shit?

Hopefully, no longer in a position of leadership. Absolutely not in a position of leadership. You keep bringing this up as if it's going to upset me or offend me.

Getting fucked is okay as long as you can't feel it, right? Just as assuming you got fucked even though you don't remember is ok.

Like I said, Stockholm Syndrome. You protect the people that fuck you at the expense of those who can't do a damned thing to you. Honestly, I just don't care.

If you think Anonymous is working for the government, you haven't been paying attention with how the US has been doing business in the past century. If the government was going to do the things that Anonymous does, do you think that they're going to announce it to the world first?

What happened in North Korea, by the way, wasn't something that it would take the US government or even Anonymous to do. There are experts saying that what was done is so easy, that it could have been done by a kid living in his mom and dad's basement that's pissed off because he can't see the movie. Funny how you have the conspiracies about the government being involved in everything that happens, except this. Stockholm syndrome???

No, not everyone. Just the weak and powerless - like you, me, and SJ. And not all of us WANT the hackers to exist - but we all BENEFIT from it. What tangible benefit do we get? Finding out that movie companies think Anjelina Jolie is an arrogant diva? Absolutely. Thanks, hackers.

Rusty Jones
12-24-2014, 11:00 AM
That doesn't surprise me. I mean, a black guy with a prior violent record killing two cops right after committing another serious crime isn't a real possibility. Are you serious with this shit?

Did you read the article? The guy who shot the cops could have easily been used as a tool. Do you think that it's pure coincidence that the two cops were Latino and Asian - on a police force that's 54% white, 24% Latino, and 4% Asian?

This reminds me of the 2008 election, when the media was doing its damnedest to play the two lowest ethnic groups on the American socio-economic ladder - blacks and Latinos - against each other.

This set-up is an awesome way to rally up brown and yellow support against black, don't you think?

Absolutely not in a position of leadership. You keep bringing this up as if it's going to upset me or offend me.

No, I bring it up to make a point in response to you calling others "hypocrites" - in your situation, a proven failure as a leader critiquing other people's leadership ability.

Just as assuming you got fucked even though you don't remember is ok.

WTF is this in reference to?

Honestly, I just don't care.

Translation: "I don't wanna talk about it anymore."

It's okay, bud. I can't force you.

Funny how you have the conspiracies about the government being involved in everything that happens, except this. Stockholm syndrome???

No, I DON'T believe that the government is involved in everything, and... it also looks like you don't know what the Stockholm Syndrome is.

What tangible benefit do we get? Finding out that movie companies think Anjelina Jolie is an arrogant diva? Absolutely. Thanks, hackers.

In this particular situation, we - the American people - looked like straight up bitches when the movie didn't get released. Some fat little boy across the ocean got his way, because we were afraid to not give it to him. Sony Pictures needs to be punished, and that's where Anonymous comes in.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Did you read the article? The guy who shot the cops could have easily been used as a tool. Do you think that it's pure coincidence that the two cops were Latino and Asian - on a police force that's 54% white, 24% Latino, and 4% Asian?

This reminds me of the 2008 election, when the media was doing its damnedest to play the two lowest ethnic groups on the American socio-economic ladder - blacks and Latinos - against each other.

This set-up is an awesome way to rally up brown and yellow support against black, don't you think?

I think you watched too many episodes of Sons of Anarchy.

That sounds just like a line from the show. Hillarious!

So, can we now expect you to tell us that the brown and yellow will happily jump on board to fuck the poor black man?

sandsjames
12-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Did you read the article? The guy who shot the cops could have easily been used as a tool. Do you think that it's pure coincidence that the two cops were Latino and Asian - on a police force that's 54% white, 24% Latino, and 4% Asian? Nope, I didn't read the article. If I spent my time reading all the conspiracy bullshit I wouldn't have time to get abused by the government. And I'd run out of tinfoil real quick.

This set-up is an awesome way to rally up brown and yellow support against black, don't you think? No, I don't think that this guy murdering these cops has anything to do with anything other than buying into the protest leaders' calls for violence.

WTF is this in reference to? You say that I'm getting fucked and don't even know it. I'm saying you think we are getting fucked, even though you have no evidence.

Translation: "I don't wanna talk about it anymore."

It's okay, bud. I can't force you. No, I don't mind talking about it. I just don't really care about Anonymous, other than them being criminals.

No, I DON'T believe that the government is involved in everything, and... it also looks like you don't know what the Stockholm Syndrome is. I've seen "Diehard" several times.

In this particular situation, we - the American people - looked like straight up bitches when the movie didn't get released. Some fat little boy across the ocean got his way, because we were afraid to not give it to him. Sony Pictures needs to be punished, and that's where Anonymous comes in.Ahhh...I see. It's about saving face...feeling disrespected. Now I get it. Typical.

Rusty Jones
12-24-2014, 12:09 PM
I think you watched too many episodes of Sons of Anarchy.

That sounds just like a line from the show. Hillarious!

So, can we now expect you to tell us that the brown and yellow will happily jump on board to fuck the poor black man?

Nope, never watched that show. But surely, you remember the 2008 election where the media was playing blacks and Latinos against each other. They even tried this again with the Zimmerman thing (conveniently ignoring that he's Peruvian, and who Latinos outside of the major groups like Puerto Rican and Mexican align themselves with, etc). You'd have to be living under a rock to not notice.

Nope, I didn't read the article. If I spent my time reading all the conspiracy bullshit I wouldn't have time to get abused by the government. And I'd run out of tinfoil real quick.

No, I don't think that this guy murdering these cops has anything to do with anything other than buying into the protest leaders' calls for violence.

Hey, you believe everything the media tells you... fine by me. I'm not going to affirm belief in this conspiracy theory, but I don't think it's far-fetched by a long shot.

You say that I'm getting fucked and don't even know it. I'm saying you think we are getting fucked, even though you have no evidence.

Wow, so those examples that Rainmaker gave aren't enough? When minimum wage today has less than half the buying power that it did 50 years ago - when CEOs back then made 35 times that of the average worker, and now they make 500 times? When companies are having "financial problems" that they deal with by laying off employees, and executives double and triple their salaries after cutting those employees... people aren't getting fucked by "the man?" Come on, now!

No, I don't mind talking about it. I just don't really care about Anonymous, other than them being criminals.

Criminals? I prefer "vigilantes."

I've seen "Diehard" several times.

Maybe you need to watch it again.

Ahhh...I see. It's about saving face...feeling disrespected. Now I get it. Typical.

On a national scale between two countries, you seem to not have a fucking clue how big a deal that is.

sandsjames
12-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Nope, never watched that show. But surely, you remember the 2008 election where the media was playing blacks and Latinos against each other. They even tried this again with the Zimmerman thing (conveniently ignoring that he's Peruvian, and who Latinos outside of the major groups like Puerto Rican and Mexican align themselves with, etc). You'd have to be living under a rock to not notice.
I guess that's one perspective.

Hey, you believe everything the media tells you... fine by me. I'm not going to affirm belief in this conspiracy theory, but I don't think it's far-fetched by a long shot. Not at all. I just don't believe that the truth has to be the polar opposite of what the media is telling me.

Wow, so those examples that Rainmaker gave aren't enough? When minimum wage today has less than half the buying power that it did 50 years ago - when CEOs back then made 35 times that of the average worker, and now they make 500 times? When companies are having "financial problems" that they deal with by laying off employees, and executives double and triple their salaries after cutting those employees... people aren't getting fucked by "the man?" Come on, now! 50 years ago? Really? That's where we're going back to? I'd assume that you'd be one of the last people on this board to talk about how things were better 50 years ago.

Criminals? I prefer "vigilantes." Yes, and being a vigilante is illegal. And you still haven't pointed out one single tangible thing they have done to help anyone but themselves.

Maybe you need to watch it again. I will. It's one of the best Christmas movies ever. Probably watch it tonight.

On a national scale between two countries, you seem to not have a fucking clue how big a deal that is."Saving face" has got us into most of the international problems we are currently dealing with. And it's quite funny that you talk about showing strength versus weakness, then show support for the policies of the current President while denouncing the policies of the previous one.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Give me some finer grain detail on your Zimmerman analysis, because I don't get how that created Latino angst against blacks.

Rusty Jones
12-24-2014, 12:27 PM
50 years ago? Really? That's where we're going back to? I'd assume that you'd be one of the last people on this board to talk about how things were better 50 years ago.

The man fucked you. I just told you how. Now try to dispute it, instead of trying to dismiss it.

Yes, and being a vigilante is illegal. And you still haven't pointed out one single tangible thing they have done to help anyone but themselves.

Yes, I did. But you keep dismissing it. You're going to believe what you're going to believe.

I will. It's one of the best Christmas movies ever. Probably watch it tonight.

Good. Maybe this time, you'll learn when and when not to say "Stockholm Syndrome."

"Saving face" has got us into most of the international problems we are currently dealing with.

No it hasn't. Nothing we're dealing with has anything to do with saving face.

And it's quite funny that you talk about showing strength versus weakness, then show support for the policies of the current President while denouncing the policies of the previous one.

Of the policies that have to do with saving face - since that's the subject at hand - what policies are you are talking about?

Absinthe Anecdote
12-24-2014, 12:34 PM
I've got this to say about Black Jeopardy in our streets...

http://youtu.be/VWuJHbVZBQg

Rusty Jones
12-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Give me some finer grain detail on your Zimmerman analysis, because I don't get how that created Latino angst against blacks.

It didn't. Nor did the media coverage of the 2008 election. Those were two attempts that failed.

I can't speak for what it's like on the west coast, but on the east coast... I grew up in the projects with both blacks and Puerto Ricans, and we were pretty solid. We were in a fucked up socioeconomic situation, but we were in it together. Nothing on TV is going to change that, and that's the case in NYC as well - the brown support that the NYPD could be seeking is from well beyond its city limits.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-24-2014, 12:44 PM
It didn't. Nor did the media coverage of the 2008 election. Those were two attempts that failed.

I can't speak for what it's like on the west coast, but on the east coast... I grew up in the projects with both blacks and Puerto Ricans, and we were pretty solid. We were in a fucked up socioeconomic situation, but we were in it together. Nothing on TV is going to change that, and that's the case in NYC as well - the brown support that the NYPD could be seeking is from well beyond its city limits.

Come on Rusty, drop the Nat X routine, "pretty solid with my Puerto Rican brothers."

You didn't grow up hard, and you know it. I seem to remember you talking about being in Delaware with Amish girls at one point. You might have lived in the projects a few months when you were a baby, but you didn't come from big city streets, and you know it.

Rusty Jones
12-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Come on Rusty, drop the Nat X routine, "pretty solid with my Puerto Rican brothers."

You didn't grow up hard, and you know it. I seem to remember you talking about being in Delaware with Amish girls at one point. You might have lived in the projects a few months when you were a baby, but you didn't come from big city streets, and you know it.

Okay, I'm gonna lay this out for you... and you can cut and paste this somewhere to save it, that way you can use it against me if you'd like. I was born in Brooklyn, and my mother was in a constant transient status until we settled in New London, CT when I was 18 months old. I grew up in these projects in New London, CT up until the age of nine. The high rises up until the age of 7, and then across the street to the townhouse projects, left there at the age of nine. Lived in the Ocean View area of Norfolk up until the age of 13, before they cleaned that place up. Then spent the rest of my adolescence in the trailer parks of Kent County, Delaware.

Look, I don't know what your obsession is with trying to "prove" that I'm "not hard," when I never tried to make myself out to be. I just state how I grew up, and you get your panties in a bunch.

Seems to me like you have an inferiority complex over "toughness." That's your own personal issue you need to seek counseling on.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Okay, I'm gonna lay this out for you... and you can cut and paste this somewhere to save it, that way you can use it against me if you'd like. I was born in Brooklyn, and my mother was in a constant transient status until we settled in New London, CT when I was 18 months old. I grew up in these projects in New London, CT up until the age of nine. The high rises up until the age of 7, and then across the street to the townhouse projects, left there at the age of nine. Lived in the Ocean View area of Norfolk up until the age of 13, before they cleaned that place up. Then spent the rest of my adolescence in the trailer parks of Kent County, Delaware.

Look, I don't know what your obsession is with trying to "prove" that I'm "not hard," when I never tried to make myself out to be. I just state how I grew up, and you get your panties in a bunch.

Seems to me like you have an inferiority complex over "toughness." That's your own personal issue you need to seek counseling on.

So you watched Good Times from a trailer park, ok I get it.

http://youtu.be/djJBId4sKhU

Good Times.
Any time you meet a payment. - Good Times.
Any time you need a friend. - Good Times.
Any time you're out from under.
Not getting hassled, not getting hustled.
Keepin' your head above water,
Making a wave when you can.

Temporary lay offs. - Good Times.
Easy credit rip offs. - Good Times.
Scratchin' and surviving. - Good Times.
Hangin in a chow line - Good Times.
Ain't we lucky we got 'em - Good Times.

Mmmmmm
Just lookin' out of the window.
Watchin' the asphalt grow.
Thinkin' how it all looks hand-me-down.
Good Times, yeah, yeah Good Times

Keepin' your head above water
Makin' a wave when you can

Rusty Jones
12-24-2014, 01:19 PM
So you watched Good Times from a trailer park, ok I get it.

http://youtu.be/djJBId4sKhU

Good Times.
Any time you meet a payment. - Good Times.
Any time you need a friend. - Good Times.
Any time you're out from under.
Not getting hassled, not getting hustled.
Keepin' your head above water,
Making a wave when you can.

Scratchin' and surviving. - Good Times.
Hangin in a chow line - Good Times.

Mmmmmm
Just lookin' out of the window.
Watchin' the asphalt grow.
Thinkin' how it all looks hand-me-down.
Good Times, yeah, yeah Good Times

Keepin' your head above water
Makin' a wave when you can

Let's not stray from the original point here - what the media tried to do with the 2008 election and Zimmerman didn't work. I know that you want to take this as an opportunity to tend to your inferiority complex, but try to stick to the topic at hand.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Let's not stray from the original point here - what the media tried to do with the 2008 election and Zimmerman didn't work. I know that you want to take this as an opportunity to tend to your inferiority complex, but try to stick to the topic at hand.

So you have two failed examples as evidence of the media stoking Latino resentment of blacks. Is that your point?

Sounds as weak as your street cred, try again.

Rusty Jones
12-24-2014, 01:30 PM
So you have two failed examples as evidence of the media stoking Latino resentment of blacks. Is that your point?

I pointed out that they were failures. Where's the problem?

Sounds as weak as your street cred, try again.

Hey, since you want to keep accusing me of inflating street cred; let's talk about you plugging trannies and shrugging your shoulders after the fact. I don't try to claim street cred, but I will say that I will claim enough street cred to outweigh your claim to heterosexuality.

sandsjames
12-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Let's not stray from the original point here - what the media tried to do with the 2008 election and Zimmerman didn't work. You're right, it didn't. They tried to make it out like it was a white vigilante attacking an innocent black child. But we all that neither of those descriptions are correct.

Rainmaker
12-24-2014, 01:42 PM

Try spending a summer day working with the Amish, before you spew racist shit. The Amish work ethic is 2nd to none.

Of course, The You know who owned media and their enlightened secular atheist lackeys are trying to destroy the Amish Culture by making a mockery of it with these demeaning false "reality" shows.

Rusty Jones
12-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Try spending a summer day working with the Amish, before you talk shit. The Amish work ethic is 2nd to none.

Of course, The You know who owned media and their enlightened secular atheist lackeys are trying to destroy the Amish Culture by making a mockery of it with these demeaning false "reality" shows.

I've only been out to where the Amish live the number of times I can count one hand. I don't know of any that live within the city limits of Dover or Camden. Typically only come into the city to work, shop, or run whatever businesses they own.

Rusty Jones
12-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Try spending a summer day working with the Amish, before you spew racist shit. The Amish work ethic is 2nd to none.

BTW, the Amish aren't a race... and whether or not they're an ethnicity is debatable. They have a separate culture, but it's one you don't have to be born into.

Getting back to AA... I'm just trying to get this shit settled once and for all, but I likely won't since it's probably a troll tactic: I'm trying to figure out what his issue is. Does he think I'm lying about having lived in the projects? Does he think that the statement "I lived in the projects" convey some image that contrary to how he perceives me - someone whom he has never seen, nor heard speak? Does he know anything about Thames River Apartments (aka, "The Crystal High Rises") or Winthrop Square to judge what those places are and aren't? Should I simply stop saying that I lived in the projects, in order to not look like a "billy badass" that AA keeps accusing me of being?

If it helps soothe his inferiority complex, as a taxi driver, I've felt much safer in the housing projects in Norfolk than I did in certain other non-project neighborhoods in the city, like Campostella and Huntersville. Simply stating that one grew up in the projects isn't intended to convey anything other than just that - that they grew up in the projects.

Fuck, Art Alexakis grew up projects harder than any place I've ever seen; and he tells people that all the time. Do you think HE'S trying to sound hard?

Stalwart
12-24-2014, 02:31 PM

I do.

In this particular situation, we - the American people - looked like straight up bitches when the movie didn't get released. Some fat little boy across the ocean got his way, because we were afraid to not give it to him. Sony Pictures needs to be punished, and that's where Anonymous comes in.

Why exactly does Sony need to be punished? I don't agree with pulling the movie they way they originally did, but it is their business. And is Anonymous both the voice of the people and the punishers of those who some think make us look like bitches?

The problem with Anonymous is their very nature; the lack of organization which equates to a lack of accountability. When Anonymous operatives released the name of the wrong police officer in the Ferguson incident ... the guy had to get 24 hour police protection, received hundred of death threats, had to deactivate social media, change phone numbers etc. Why? Because he was a blonde guy (like Wilson) who worked for the St. Louis police department. It didn't matter that he wasn't a uniformed officer, didn't work for the Ferguson Department etc. Once their screw up was realized, a simple "sorry bro" on a Twitter account is a pretty sorry level of accountability. What about in 2008 when someone from Anonymous hacked the Epilepsy foundation website to redirect links to a page with bright flashing colors causing at least half a dozen innocent people who were photosensitive to have seizures? Granted, anyone can claim to be a part of the group, that is part of it. But, like many other groups, their message can get very clouded when they fail to address the areas where they (or those working on their behalf) screw up.

Big thing, this whole fiasco is getting a lot more people to watch what looked like a pretty stupid movie than probably would have in the first place.

sandsjames
12-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Big thing, this whole fiasco is getting a lot more people to watch what looked like a pretty stupid movie than probably would have in the first place.

Exactly. Nothing but free marketing. Hell, even the President was promoting the movie in press conferences. Sony is pure genius.

Rainmaker
12-24-2014, 03:13 PM
BTW, the Amish aren't a race... and whether or not they're an ethnicity is debatable. They have a separate culture, but it's one you don't have to be born into.

Getting back to AA... I'm just trying to get this shit settled once and for all, but I likely won't since it's probably a troll tactic: I'm trying to figure out what his issue is. Does he think I'm lying about having lived in the projects? Does he think that the statement "I lived in the projects" convey some image that contrary to how he perceives me - someone whom he has never seen, nor heard speak? Does he know anything about Thames River Apartments (aka, "The Crystal High Rises") or Winthrop Square to judge what those places are and aren't? Should I simply stop saying that I lived in the projects, in order to not look like a "billy badass" that AA keeps accusing me of being?

If it helps soothe his inferiority complex, as a taxi driver, I've felt much safer in the housing projects in Norfolk than I did in certain other non-project neighborhoods in the city, like Campostella and Huntersville. Simply stating that one grew up in the projects isn't intended to convey anything other than just that - that they grew up in the projects.

Fuck, Art Alexakis grew up projects harder than any place I've ever seen; and he tells people that all the time. Do you think HE'S trying to sound hard?

That's what modern day Edom's Sadducees of the Too big to fail Banking Families and the Global industrialists are conditioning us to think. That Caucasian isn't even worthy of being a race anymore.

Can you not see that the constant bombarding of the world with false "reality" shows like, Breaking Amish, Vanilla Ice goes Amish, Amish Mafia etc. etc. is nothing more than mind control programming designed to Paint the picture of rural whites as trash to fit the doctrine for propaganda effect?

These shows are not even close to being real, yet they are broadcast on so called educational stations like The Learning Channel and Nat Geo .

TLC was actually founded as the "Appalachian Community Service Network". They're so in your face with this destructive agenda that I can't believe any White person in their right mind would still pay a cable bill or allow their Children to be exposed to this pure evil.

Rusty Jones
12-24-2014, 04:51 PM
It's gonna be on youtube!

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/the-interview-youtube

Rainmaker
12-24-2014, 05:05 PM
It's gonna be on youtube!

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/the-interview-youtube

EDIT**** IT HAPPENED AGAIN. .....STICK YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND or STICK YOUR HEAD UP YOUR ASS!!!!!!!! BOTH ARE JUST A MATTER OF DEGREE...............33 DEGREES THAT IS!!!!!!!! KEEP YOUR HEAD OUT OF BOTH AND YOU MIGHT JUST SEE REALITY FOR ONCE.................YOU SAY CONSPIRACY THEORY????RAINMAKER SAY CONSPIRACY FACT... ...Merry CHRIST-mas...ELEVENTY 1111.......... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO J.C!!! I'M OUT ,BITCHES. TALK AMONGST YOURSELFS

garhkal
12-24-2014, 08:44 PM
No, not everyone. Just the weak and powerless - like you, me, and SJ. And not all of us WANT the hackers to exist - but we all BENEFIT from it.

SO how are we all benefiting from this hack? How have the millions who have lost files from viruses benefitted? How has all the millions who have had their identity stolen benefitted?

So cause one hacker group came in and made them look like "Bitches", we need another hacker group to come in and punish them?

The problem with Anonymous is their very nature; the lack of organization which equates to a lack of accountability. When Anonymous operatives released the name of the wrong police officer in the Ferguson incident ... the guy had to get 24 hour police protection, received hundred of death threats, had to deactivate social media, change phone numbers etc. Why? Because he was a blonde guy (like Wilson) who worked for the St. Louis police department. It didn't matter that he wasn't a uniformed officer, didn't work for the Ferguson Department etc. Once their screw up was realized, a simple "sorry bro" on a Twitter account is a pretty sorry level of accountability. What about in 2008 when someone from Anonymous hacked the Epilepsy foundation website to redirect links to a page with bright flashing colors causing at least half a dozen innocent people who were photosensitive to have seizures? Granted, anyone can claim to be a part of the group, that is part of it. But, like many other groups, their message can get very clouded when they fail to address the areas where they (or those working on their behalf) screw up.

And its not just those screw-ups where no one has been held to account. Its also the hacks they have done on govt and other orgs where thousands of citizens data got leaked so anyone and their mother could use it. Not only have none of them gotten any apologies, but where is their capacity for redress of their wrongs?
THERE IS NONE.

Stalwart
12-24-2014, 11:57 PM
And its not just those screw-ups where no one has been held to account. Its also the hacks they have done on govt and other orgs where thousands of citizens data got leaked so anyone and their mother could use it. Not only have none of them gotten any apologies, but where is their capacity for redress of their wrongs?
THERE IS NONE.

Yeah, not even touching where they have hacked into government networks. For someone who is a tool 'of the people', they don't seem to be concerned about costing companies that employ thousands of people hundreds of thousands of dollars, organizations that are trying to responsibly use taxpayer funds from using funds to repair what they break or the cost (monetary and just headache) of the private citizens caught up in their shenanigans.

technomage1
12-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Called it.

Seems some experts are questioning the FBIs finding that North Korea was responsible. Instead, they believe it was an insider attack.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/did-the-fbi-get-it-wrong-on-north-korea/

Stalwart
12-25-2014, 10:55 PM
Watched the movie last night while on watch ... we dialed into a provider, rented it and had most of the team watching it on the big display on my floor.

It was okay, not great ... what I would classify as a deployment movie.

Capt Alfredo
12-29-2014, 12:29 AM
Watched the movie last night while on watch ... we dialed into a provider, rented it and had most of the team watching it on the big display on my floor.

It was okay, not great ... what I would classify as a deployment movie.

Sounds like a recipe for getting into trouble for showing a "movie of questionable taste" at work. If you were the AF, you'd probably get fired and written up. I'm sure there was foul language and perhaps even some nudity. Someone would have claimed to have been offended and it would have been curtains for you.

Stalwart
12-29-2014, 01:05 AM
Definitely foul language. If anyone had a problem with it I would not have allowed it.

Our J3 was in for a while and watched about 10 minutes, he has a couple more stars on the collar than me ... He did not seem to care.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-29-2014, 02:13 AM
Definitely foul language. If anyone had a problem with it I would not have allowed it.

Our J3 was in for a while and watched about 10 minutes, he has a couple more stars on the collar than me ... He did not seem to care.

Are you working in the NMJIC?

Stalwart
12-29-2014, 03:30 AM
Are you working in the NMJIC?

Nope ... different watchfloor ... different command.

Rainmaker
12-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Called it.

Seems some experts are questioning the FBIs finding that North Korea was responsible. Instead, they believe it was an insider attack.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/did-the-fbi-get-it-wrong-on-north-korea/

Yep...You sure as hell did!

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/fbi-briefed-on-alternate-sony-hack-theory-113866.html

So, what do you know...You mean our government and media scapegoated some folks? to cover up for some racist Hollywood execs and boost the shitty acting career of that vile, disgusting comedic genius/sarc from the vancouver talmud torah day school?

TJMAC77SP
12-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Yep...You sure as hell did!

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/fbi-briefed-on-alternate-sony-hack-theory-113866.html

So, what do you know...You mean our government and media scapegoated some folks? to cover up for some racist Hollywood execs and boost the shitty acting career of that vile, disgusting comedic genius/sarc from the vancouver talmud torah day school?

The last part of the article is most telling. It is a supposition piece. Very typical of hackers and counter-hackers. A lot of back and forth all claiming to be the final word.

Rainmaker
12-30-2014, 07:22 PM
The last part of the article is most telling. It is a supposition piece. Very typical of hackers and counter-hackers. A lot of back and forth all claiming to be the final word.

Makes you wonder how much of this garbage being reported in the media is just blowback from our own misinformation that they're sowing all over the world?

Never let a crisis go to waste........the "Axis of Evil" did it...Yes........must.... have........ internet.... kill..... switch....to...... keep... us safe......

Measure Man
12-31-2014, 08:00 PM
Hmmmmm...the "Guardians of Peace" threatening CNN.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2892872/Sony-hackers-threatening-CNN-FBI-warns-demand-network-turn-Wolf-Blitzer.html

I'm not in favor of these hackers, at all...they cause enormous damage, but I found it pretty hilarious that their demand is to turn over Wolf Blitzer in 24 hours.

I find it hard to believe that N. Korea has that kind of a sense of humor. If this is somehow tracked to the same people that did in Sony, would seem unlikely that it is N. Korea.

"Give us the Wolf"

TJMAC77SP
12-31-2014, 08:35 PM
Hmmmmm...the "Guardians of Peace" threatening CNN.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2892872/Sony-hackers-threatening-CNN-FBI-warns-demand-network-turn-Wolf-Blitzer.html

I'm not in favor of these hackers, at all...they cause enormous damage, but I found it pretty hilarious that their demand is to turn over Wolf Blitzer in 24 hours.

I find it hard to believe that N. Korea has that kind of a sense of humor. If this is somehow tracked to the same people that did in Sony, would seem unlikely that it is N. Korea.

"Give us the Wolf"

I am not saying the FBI is right or wrong but we could now be seeing copycat groups or individuals. That would be very typical of that community and would certainly muddy the waters.

I agree that North Korea doesn't seem to have the sense of humor apparent here. Unless of course there is no intended humor in the demand.

Measure Man
12-31-2014, 09:01 PM
I am not saying the FBI is right or wrong but we could now be seeing copycat groups or individuals. That would be very typical of that community and would certainly muddy the waters.

I agree that North Korea doesn't seem to have the sense of humor apparent here. Unless of course there is no intended humor in the demand.

Yeah...copycat possible. I'm not smart enough to know if they could trace this threat to the original hack somehow...

TJMAC77SP
12-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Yeah...copycat possible. I'm not smart enough to know if they could trace this threat to the original hack somehow...

Neither am I but I hope they could. I just looked at the article again. Seems it was a hoax. That is an update right? Either that or I am definitely slipping into dementia.

In any case IT security baffles me. I regret not getting formal training years ago. I missed the train on that one and that is my bad. It is an integral part of the any company's security posture now.

Measure Man
12-31-2014, 11:00 PM
Neither am I but I hope they could. I just looked at the article again. Seems it was a hoax. That is an update right? Either that or I am definitely slipping into dementia.

In any case IT security baffles me. I regret not getting formal training years ago. I missed the train on that one and that is my bad. It is an integral part of the any company's security posture now.

ah...yep, that is an update.

LOL...good one, though. "Give us the Wolf"...ha ha, that's been cracking me up all day for some reason.

TJMAC77SP
01-01-2015, 01:12 AM
ah...yep, that is an update.

LOL...good one, though. "Give us the Wolf"...ha ha, that's been cracking me up all day for some reason.

Good. I looked quickly at the article earlier.

I personally think NK would surrender if they ever did get Wolf as a hostage.