PDA

View Full Version : Navy Senior Enlisted Academy Required for E9

BURAWSKI
12-15-2014, 05:20 AM
http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/careers/navy/2014/12/14/navy-senior-enlisted-academy-overhaul-e9/20258857/

Bad move on the part of the MCPON making the SEA mandatory for promotion to Master Chief Petty Officer. It is just another bureaucratic check in the block that undermines the integrity of the process. A selection board is already in place as part of the process for selecting Master Chief Petty Officers so requiring mandatory attendance at the SEA serves no useful purpose. Oh, and btw, just in case the MCPON is not aware, but there is NO TEST required for Senior Chief Petty Officers for consideration for selection to Master Chief Petty Officer. Attendance at the SEA should remain optional. This is an example of the MCPON making a change solely for changes sake. This guy is a piece of work.

Stalwart
12-15-2014, 12:12 PM
http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/careers/navy/2014/12/14/navy-senior-enlisted-academy-overhaul-e9/20258857/

Bad move on the part of the MCPON making the SEA mandatory for promotion to Master Chief Petty Officer. It is just another bureaucratic check in the block that undermines the integrity of the process. A selection board is already in place as part of the process for selecting Master Chief Petty Officers so requiring mandatory attendance at the SEA serves no useful purpose. Oh, and btw, just in case the MCPON is not aware, but there is NO TEST required for Senior Chief Petty Officers for consideration for selection to Master Chief Petty Officer. Attendance at the SEA should remain optional. This is an example of the MCPON making a change solely for changes sake. This guy is a piece of work.

I will say that I think making formal professional military educated for enlisted leaders should take place way before eligibility for E9.

But, on this change there is some background:

This has been pending for some time and has ben discussed at OPNAV since at least 2012 that I personally know of, and word from the staff is the reasoning is actually a pretty good one:

Feedback from Master Chief selection boards has been that Senior Chiefs who have attended SEA are considered more competitive ... does that make it a de-facto requirement ... maybe. I don't like de-facto requirements, but it is what it is. Now, let's say Senior Chief Jones wants to compete for Master Chief, but Captain Smith has not freed him up to attend SEA for legitimate or otherwise reasons:

1. lack of TADTAR funds
2. busy schedule
3. lack of depth in Senior Chief Jones' division / department.

Now Senior Chief Jones may be less competitive at the board than someone else because of the lack of SEA.

By making SEA a requirement, if Senior Chief Jones wants to compete for Master Chief and voices that to his chain of command the command is pseudo-obligated to send him, because Captain Smith does not want to be the subject of an IG complaint that he is hindering the opportunity for advancement of some of his people.

I would say, based on that, it sounds like the MCPON is less interested in undermining the process than trying to look out for folks. Now, whether or not SEA makes someone a better candidate, or should make them more competitive in the tank is another issue & a valid issue but it is what it is for now.

Rusty Jones
12-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Now Senior Chief Jones may be less competitive at the board than someone else because of the lack of SEA.

By making SEA a requirement, if Senior Chief Jones wants to compete for Master Chief and voices that to his chain of command the command is pseudo-obligated to send him, because Captain Smith does not want to be the subject of an IG complaint that he is hindering the opportunity for advancement of some of his people.

I would say, based on that, it sounds like the MCPON is less interested in undermining the process than trying to look out for folks. Now, whether or not SEA makes someone a better candidate, or should make them more competitive in the tank is another issue & a valid issue but it is what it is for now.

If I recall correctly, a similar argument was made when MCPON Scott established the requirement for an associate's degree to make Senior Chief. With Senior Chiefs making up just over 2% of the enlisted force, it really didn't seem like much to ask of those who hoped to be among the elite few that would make it there.

Then we had MCPON Campa. He was hell bent on making things "old school," and his first order of business was to yank that requirement - and if anyone thinks he did anything other than delay the inevitable, then they're delusional.

Of course, the Navy could be one MCPON away from SEA no longer being a requirement to make Master Chief. Will be interesting to keep an eye out on.

Stalwart
12-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Of course, the Navy could be one MCPON away from SEA no longer being a requirement to make Master Chief. Will be interesting to keep an eye out on.

That is always a possibility.

My gut says this will be permanent or at least last a bit longer, since the Navy is formally putting money, facilities and people/billets into SEA. But, who knows.

BURAWSKI
12-15-2014, 09:36 PM
There must be a lot of detailed justification for doing this that I missed. However, I am of the opinion that it should not be a requirement for advancement just for the sake of making candidates for Master Chief Petty Officer more competitive. But, hey I understand your arguments about this. I mean, I think it is already mandatory for those electing to go the CMC route and I have to ask myself has that really made a positive difference? I think not. Anyway, I just haven't been convinced that it is all that necessary. Seems like the idea of a senior officer that somehow put a bug in the ear of the MCPON who just decided to say "Roger that, sir!". Again, just my opinion on it.

Salty Old Dog
12-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Just more erosion of the "learn to lead by example" route that most guys had in the past. Of course, with the seemingly endless stories of "bad boy" Master Chiefs, XO's and CO's, maybe it's a good idea to stop letting them learn to lead by the example of their superiors?

Of course, it could just be that the Navy wants to be like the Air Force, which requires Airman Leadership School to become an NCO, NCO academy to become a senior NCO, and senior NCO academy to put on E8 or E9, if I remember right. Brainwash 'em early and often, right?