PDA

View Full Version : Now this is true equality...

SomeRandomGuy
12-04-2014, 08:06 PM
In Minnesota high school athletes can now play sports based on the gender they identify with as opposed to the gender they were born as. This is the kind of equality that has been missing for years. I'm 6'3 but my dreams of ever playing in the NBA were over a long time ago. I always thought I would stand a much better chance in the WNBA. Plus I have been told i play like a girl. too bad this wasn't around when I was in high school. I definitly could have been the starting center on my high school girls basketballe team.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/04/minnesota-high-school-league-votes-on-transgender-athletes-sport-policy/

sandsjames
12-04-2014, 08:14 PM
In Minnesota high school athletes can now play sports based on the gender they identify with as opposed to the gender they were born as. This is the kind of equality that has been missing for years. I'm 6'3 but my dreams of ever playing in the NBA were over a long time ago. I always thought I would stand a much better chance in the WNBA. Plus I have been told i play like a girl. too bad this wasn't around when I was in high school. I definitly could have been the starting center on my high school girls basketballe team.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/04/minnesota-high-school-league-votes-on-transgender-athletes-sport-policy/

I say screw it...let them play on whatever team they want. We had a very Tomboyish girl at our school. She was built pretty thick and quite masculine. She tried out for the football team. Day one of practice she hit the tackling dummy and separated her shoulder. It was pretty funny.

I definitely want to see more guys on the softball teams at school. Can you imagine how many chicks would end up getting line-drove in the face. Plus, the guys, even the small ones, would be hitting the ball 200 feet out of the park. It would be pretty awesome. I might pull my old cleats out of the garage.

USAF-Controller
12-04-2014, 08:26 PM
It looks like there is a fairly lengthy process and a clear history before someone who is transgendered can play for the opposite team. This will probably effect 20-30 kids a year, tops.

sandsjames
12-04-2014, 08:29 PM
It looks like there is a fairly lengthy process and a clear history before someone who is transgendered can play for the opposite team. This will probably effect 20-30 kids a year, tops.

Until the first lawsuit after some "deserving" kid gets denied...then the process will ease.

USAF-Controller
12-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Until the first lawsuit after some "deserving" kid gets denied...then the process will ease.

I doubt it. Proving you are transgendered takes years. The only way this program can succeed is if there is a strict screening process.

sandsjames
12-04-2014, 09:00 PM
I doubt it. Proving you are transgendered takes years. The only way this program can succeed is if there is a strict screening process.

I understand that...but the screening process will be determined to be infringing of someone's rights. Why should I have to prove my sexuality, sexual identity, or anything else?

I really don't care how it all plays out. I just see lawsuits taking place and restriction getting eased. Just an opinion.

USAF-Controller
12-04-2014, 09:09 PM
I understand that...but the screening process will be determined to be infringing of someone's rights. Why should I have to prove my sexuality, sexual identity, or anything else?

I really don't care how it all plays out. I just see lawsuits taking place and restriction getting eased. Just an opinion.

Based on what I know of the process of being transgendered, I suspect the only people who won't meet the criteria or won't want to have to prove it will be the ones doing it for show or because they can't hack it with their own gender's teams. I agree that there will be people who will sue and say they're being oppressed but you get that with anything nowadays.

sandsjames
12-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Based on what I know of the process of being transgendered, I suspect the only people who won't meet the criteria or won't want to have to prove it will be the ones doing it for show or because they can't hack it with their own gender's teams. You are obviously far more educated on the transgender process than I.

USAF-Controller
12-04-2014, 09:42 PM
You are obviously far more educated on the transgender process than I.

It's an interesting topic and I've done a lot of reading. We're all female at one point in the womb until an extra chromosome is introduced. Sometimes it is supposed to be introduced and for some reason, doesn't. Sometimes it's not supposed to get introduced and it does. Nature is not perfect.

garhkal
12-04-2014, 10:02 PM
I am wondering when this is all going to impact the Olympics!

efmbman
12-04-2014, 10:14 PM
I am wondering when this is all going to impact the Olympics!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the current policies of the International Olympic Committee will not be influenced by the decision of the Minnesota state governing body for high school athletics.

BENDER56
12-05-2014, 12:58 AM
I say screw it...let them play on whatever team they want. We had a very Tomboyish girl at our school. She was built pretty thick and quite masculine. She tried out for the football team. Day one of practice she hit the tackling dummy and separated her shoulder. It was pretty funny.

I definitely want to see more guys on the softball teams at school. Can you imagine how many chicks would end up getting line-drove in the face. Plus, the guys, even the small ones, would be hitting the ball 200 feet out of the park. It would be pretty awesome. I might pull my old cleats out of the garage.

"... line-drove ..."

That's a great word.

garhkal
12-05-2014, 07:17 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that the current policies of the International Olympic Committee will not be influenced by the decision of the Minnesota state governing body for high school athletics.
Maybe not for the 2014 olympics, but you can bet that the LGBT community will be pushing on them to change it for others.

sandsjames
12-05-2014, 11:14 AM
"... line-drove ..."

That's a great word.

I actually wavered between "line-drove" and "line-drived" a couple times...

USAF-Controller
12-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Maybe not for the 2014 olympics, but you can bet that the LGBT community will be pushing on them to change it for others.

They won't let athletes with prosthetic limbs compete so I doubt they'll let Transgendered people compete with their identified gender. It could happen but I don't think so.

Rusty Jones
12-05-2014, 04:33 PM
They won't let athletes with prosthetic limbs compete so I doubt they'll let Transgendered people compete with their identified gender. It could happen but I don't think so.

"Naive" doesn't even begin to describe this post...

Absinthe Anecdote
12-05-2014, 04:45 PM
I guess someone has never heard of Oscar Pistorius, or the East German swim team from back in the Cold War era.

Rainmaker
12-05-2014, 04:58 PM
It's an interesting topic and I've done a lot of reading. We're all female at one point in the womb until an extra chromosome is introduced. Sometimes it is supposed to be introduced and for some reason, doesn't. Sometimes it's not supposed to get introduced and it does. Nature is not perfect.

sounds like something right out of the Social Gospel Eugenicist Movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa_13KgABCI&app=desktop

sandsjames
12-05-2014, 05:07 PM

There is no extra chromosome. A female has an XX and a male has an XY. So there is no additional chromosome "added". Are you insinuating that an arm falls off of one of the X's and turns it into a Y?

Rusty Jones
12-05-2014, 05:22 PM
There is no extra chromosome. A female has an XX and a male has an XY. So there is no additional chromosome "added". Are you insinuating that an arm falls off of one of the X's and turns it into a Y?

USAF-Controller is right, but only by technicality. The sex has still already been determined to be XY, even though it may not be XY at the moment.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-05-2014, 08:06 PM
So, to accelerate this conversation into the inevitable back and forth about God, here are some monkeys talking about religion.

http://youtu.be/9r57EzBmlR0

sandsjames
12-05-2014, 09:00 PM
So, to accelerate this conversation into the inevitable back and forth about God, here are some monkeys talking about religion.

WTF does this have to do with anything close to the thread topic? Obvious troll is obvious.

USAF-Controller
12-05-2014, 09:27 PM

If I recall the theory correctly, it's that the Y chromosome has a big part in triggering the change from female to male. It is always possible to have a defective Y, or it's also possible for this trigger to be external. You do get the occasional girl with XY or boy with XX. It's rare, but it does happen. It's not necessarily fair to say that we all start out as female, but without this trigger we all would become female. It's just a LITTLE more complex than simply XY is male and XX is female. That's a good way to think about the basics, but the actual science runs deeper.

USAF-Controller is right, but only by technicality. The sex has still already been determined to be XY, even though it may not be XY at the moment.

Basically but as I said before, sometimes nature makes a mistake.

WTF does this have to do with anything close to the thread topic? Obvious troll is obvious.

Obviously...

UncaRastus
12-05-2014, 11:47 PM
In the case of 'an extra chromosome' (called trisomy), Down Syndrome come to mind, though that is only one of a larger set of affected humans.

BENDER56
12-06-2014, 01:24 AM
I actually wavered between "line-drove" and "line-drived" a couple times...

"Line-driven" might actually be grammatically correct, but doesn't sound a fraction as good as line-drove. Glad you went with it. I'm gonna create opportunities to use it.