PDA

View Full Version : Janay Rice Believes Brutal Elevator Beating Was God’s Plan

Rusty Jones
12-02-2014, 04:28 PM
But you don't HAVE to accept God's plan! You can tell God to take his "plan," and shove it up his ass because you've got a better one. Christians do it all the time: it's called "prayer."

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/12/02/janay-rice-believes-brutal-elevator-beating-was-gods-plan-video/

On Friday, Ray Rice was reinstated into the NFL after being suspended in September for knocking out wife Janay Rice in a hotel elevator during an argument. Just three days after Ray won his appeal, Janay gave a tearful interview with Matt Lauer on NBC’s Today Show.

Accompanied by her mother Candy Palmer, Janay recounted the “horrible nightmare” that occurred during the February attack. Speaking to Lauer, Janay said she believed that she and Ray had been “chosen” to bring domestic violence to the forefront and begin a larger conversation about abuse.

"I feel like God chose me and Ray for a reason and it was definitely to bring awareness to what people are going through every day. You know it’s not what I am going through every day but you know it’s definitely brought this topic to the forefront…and we are okay with that.”

As the interview continued, Janay made sure to emphasize that the abuse Ray inflicted upon her was only a one-time event that had never happened before and will never happen again. For the most part, Janay blames the media for blowing the situation out of proportion:

“That’s been the hardest part, is having so much of your life made public and have it all be negative. That’s the hardest part. Is not having control over anything that has to do with you. It’s a natural thing for a human to want to come out and say, ‘No, no. That’s not me,’ or, ‘No, that’s not true.’ But it’s like a battle that we just can’t win.”

When Lauer asks Janay if Ray had ever hit her before, she answers:

“Not at all. Ray knows me. And there’s no way. He knows what he would have to deal with, you know, if this was something,” she says. “You know, I’m not going to sit there in silence and let something happen to me — and God forbid, in front of my child, just like, let it happen? There’s no way.”

sandsjames
12-02-2014, 04:36 PM
But you don't HAVE to accept God's plan! You can tell God to take his "plan," and shove it up his ass because you've got a better one. Christians do it all the time: it's called "prayer."

Let me make a related point, with some assumptions. Let's assume one is a Christian and is not going to tell God to "shove" his plan. Let's also assume that there is a God and he has a plan.

What always bothers me with people saying "It's God's plan" is this:

It's quite possible that "God's plan" in this was for her to do something about him knocking her out. Maybe the plan is that she leaves him, starts respecting herself, and get on with her life without him.

The "It's God's plan", IMO, does not mean that we just accept whatever happens without questioning it because that's what God wanted. It can mean that we are supposed to learn from the bad thing that happened in order to act and make a change.

Again, not to start another go-nowhere religious debate...that is why I'm making the assumptions based off of someone who is a believer.

Measure Man
12-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Interesting stuff in that interview:

"I feel like God chose me and Ray for a reason

A question I often pondered...in order to save us from our sins, Jesus had to be betrayed, crucified and risen. For God's plan to work, someone had to betray him and someone had to crucify him. Were Judas Iscariot and Pontius Pilate fullfilling God's plan in their lives?

“That’s been the hardest part, is having so much of your life made public and have it all be negative. That’s the hardest part. Is not having control over anything that has to do with you. It’s a natural thing for a human to want to come out and say, ‘No, no. That’s not me,’ or, ‘No, that’s not true.’ But it’s like a battle that we just can’t win.”

Have to agree with her here...the public and social media frenzy over stuff like this is crazy nowadays...and it does not matter how innocent or guilty a person might be, once a story is out there, it's uncontrollable.

“Not at all. Ray knows me. And there’s no way. He knows what he would have to deal with, you know, if this was something,” she says. “You know, I’m not going to sit there in silence and let something happen to me — and God forbid, in front of my child, just like, let it happen? There’s no way.”

In a way...this sounds as if she is blaming victims of domestic abuse for letting it happen.

SomeRandomGuy
12-02-2014, 04:48 PM
A question I often pondered...in order to save us from our sins, Jesus had to be betrayed, crucified and risen. For God's plan to work, someone had to betray him and someone had to crucify him. Were Judas Iscariot and Pontius Pilate fullfilling God's plan in their lives?

And right there lies the biggest problem with christianity. If you believe God has a master plan and is all knowing then you must also believe that in many ways your life is pre-ordainded. Based on this logic it seems kind of absurd for christians to judge anyone. Afterall, maybe God's plan is for that person to go to hell. Maybe it was simply God's plan for that person to be a homosexual, to get an abortion, to murder someone, etc.

There is even an example of this in the Bible.

Hebrews 12:16-17 Talks about how Esau sought a repentance but it was not accepted

…16that there be no immoral or godless person like Esau, who sold his own birthright for a single meal. 17For you know that even afterwards, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought for it with tears.

Why is it that Easu couldn't recieve his birthright even though he sought it with tears? Apparantly, it was god's plan and he couldn't repent.

Rusty Jones
12-02-2014, 04:56 PM
By praying to God, you are voicing disapproval of his plan if it doesn't go in your favor. You are, in fact, telling God that he should drop his plans and use yours.

sandsjames
12-02-2014, 05:02 PM
By praying to God, you are voicing disapproval of his plan if it doesn't go in your favor. You are, in fact, telling God that he should drop his plans and use yours.

Not necessarily. Of course, if a personal tragedy happens, people will generally show "disapproval". Many times, however, it's more of a need for an understanding of that plan.

Also, I don't see the "plan" as a laid out time table for what is definitely going to happen. I think the "plan" changes depending on certain situations. It's like a football game. There is a start and a finish, but in between there are several factors that vary the situation.

Of course, the "plan" is also another factor that weighs heavily on the minds of many of us, as it's hard to understand how there can be a being who knows all and sees all yet our lives aren't predetermined.

Rusty Jones
12-02-2014, 05:03 PM
In a way...this sounds as if she is blaming victims of domestic abuse for letting it happen.

Maybe it IS the victim's fault. Afterall:

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

~John 14:13

If she would have asked the Father, in Jesus' name, for Ray Rice not to beat her; we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. But she failed.

Rusty Jones
12-02-2014, 05:06 PM
I think the "plan" changes depending on certain situations. It's like a football game. There is a start and a finish, but in between there are several factors that vary the situation.

Are you saying that God needs a "Plan B, maybe a "Plan C,", etc, etc? Don't you only need those if you're not omniscient?

Mata Leao
12-02-2014, 06:10 PM
People are talking about domestic violence. That doesn't mean it will stop, but people are talking. Maybe that is the plan.

Rusty Jones
12-02-2014, 06:17 PM
People are talking about domestic violence. That doesn't mean it will stop, but people are talking. Maybe that is the plan.

You mean getting people to talk about bad shit, when you're the one who planned out the bad shit to happen in the first place?

sandsjames
12-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Are you saying that God needs a "Plan B, maybe a "Plan C,", etc, etc? Don't you only need those if you're not omniscient?

Unfortunately you omitted this part of my post that answered, or explained why I don't have an answer, your question

"Of course, the "plan" is also another factor that weighs heavily on the minds of many of us, as it's hard to understand how there can be a being who knows all and sees all yet our lives aren't predetermined."

Rusty Jones
12-02-2014, 06:30 PM
So are you saying that our lives aren't predetermined according to the Bible?

Guess what? You're actually right. The very few verses in the Bible that are used to justify the concept of God having a "plan" are verses that were taken out of context (look at Isaiah 14:24, for example).

HOWEVER... technically, God being omniscient DOES mean that everything goes according to a plan. If he knows everything that's going to happen, and he's omnipotent, he has the ability alter it whenever HE sees fit. Again, whenever HE - not some individual Christian, Jew, or Muslim - sees it. That makes it a plan.

Rainmaker
12-02-2014, 07:06 PM

Guess what? You're actually right. The very few verses in the Bible that are used to justify the concept of God having a "plan" are verses that were taken out of context (look at Isaiah 14:24, for example).

HOWEVER... technically, God being omniscient DOES mean that everything goes according to a plan. If he knows everything that's going to happen, and he's omnipotent, he has the ability alter it whenever HE sees fit. Again, whenever HE - not some individual Christian, Jew, or Muslim - sees it. That makes it a plan.

in the end. All things are ordered and correct.

sandsjames
12-02-2014, 07:07 PM

Again, refer to my previous post. I don't have the answer and am not smart enough to offer an explanation.

Rainmaker
12-02-2014, 07:09 PM
STOP WAITING FOR THE PHYSICAL JESUS TO RETURN. START FOLLOWING THE GOLDEN RULE AND SAVE YOURSELVES BITCHES!!!

There are worlds (stories) within worlds (stories)

The bible has nothing to do with secular history, it's allegory people. The characters in the bible never walked the face of the earth. and like Abs says the fairy tale goes back to the bronze age (at least). Even though it's fiction. There is no fiction. It is divinely inspired.

Now, The characters in the bible symbolize the spiritual battle going on within every man.

"Two nations are in your womb and two people born of you shall be divided; one shall be stronger than the other and the elder shall serve the younger."

The first son (Esau) must serve the second (Jacob). Yes, It's predestination. But, it's up to the individual (via free will) to decide when it happens.

BENDER56
12-02-2014, 07:37 PM
As an apatheist, I couldn't care less what others believe. If people believe in some "God's plan" and it allows them to cope and navigate through the travails of life then, yay! Good for them.

But the problem I personally have with the "Gods plan" hypothesis is that it can equally be used to justify any and all outcomes equally, arbitrarily and capriciously.

sandsjames
12-02-2014, 07:54 PM
As an apatheist, I couldn't care less what others believe. If people believe in some "God's plan" and it allows them to cope and navigate through the travails of life then, yay! Good for them.

But the problem I personally have with the "Gods plan" hypothesis is that it can equally be used to justify any and all outcomes equally, arbitrarily and capriciously.

Some people believe in fate. Some people believe in Karma. Some people believe in a "plan". This definitely isn't limited to Christianity.

BENDER56
12-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Some people believe in fate. Some people believe in Karma. Some people believe in a "plan". This definitely isn't limited to Christianity.

No, it isn't limited to Christianity, but I didn't mean to imply that it was. Even in non-religious, philosophical circles, the theory of determinism holds that humans have little, if any, free will. That is, our life is pre-programmed before our birth.

Absinthe Anecdote
12-02-2014, 08:40 PM

When one prays for something, there are three possible outcomes:

Yes - The prayer is answered immediately

No - The prayer is never answered

Wait - The prayer is answered after a considerable amount of time

All three outcomes could be attributed to a "plan."

Oh, and it doesn't matter who or what you are praying to, God and a fire hydrant both answer prayers in the same manner.