PDA

View Full Version : Odd things you find when remodeling

Stalwart
12-02-2014, 02:42 PM
So, a couple years ago we bought an older house and I have been consistently remodeling ever since. Things I have found so far:

-Very ... VERY incorrectly wired baseboard heaters (they are all gone now anyway ... but were crazy unsafe.

-In the yard, 2 feet to a cast-iron claw-foot tub -- now are doorstops

-Outside the window of what had been their daughter's room, under a bunch of yard crap, a Foreigner tape and a Poison tape, probably been out there since the 80's.

-Now I am remodeling the downstairs bathroom (really a powder room) and in the wall when I ripped it out, some magazines from the early 60's. Not smut, just regular local magazines sealed up between the studs. Odd.

sandsjames
12-02-2014, 03:43 PM
So, a couple years ago we bought an older house and I have been consistently remodeling ever since. Things I have found so far:

-Very ... VERY incorrectly wired baseboard heaters (they are all gone now anyway ... but were crazy unsafe.

-Outside the window of what had been their daughter's room, under a bunch of yard crap, a Foreigner tape and a Poison tape, probably been out there since the 80's.

-Now I am remodeling the downstairs bathroom (really a powder room) and in the wall when I ripped it out, some magazines from the early 60's. Not smut, just regular local magazines sealed up between the studs. Odd.

We redid our bathtub. It was an old cast-iron tub. Our house is on a concrete slab, so there is a square cut out around the drain down into the dirt. When we pulled the old tub out, there was dirt packed up pretty solid underneath it. We found out that gophers had been tunneling in there for years. It took 7 full wheelbarrow loads to remove all the dirt from the bathroom.

Also, while redoing walls, I found that the majority of our outlets are still two wire with the 3 prong covers over them. Very unsafe. In addition, most of the wiring is extremely old and worn.

Rainmaker
12-02-2014, 06:52 PM

about 10 years ago Rainmaker and his brothers did some work on his Grandmother's (RIP) house that was built in the 20's. they had used newspapers between the studs for insulation. Thankfully, there was never a fire. anyhow, was cool reading them. Wife is pretty crafty and did some decoupage stuff with it.

who, knows Maybe you'll get lucky and come across the treasured Honus wagner baseball card or Marylin Monroe playboy issue and strike it rich!

Stalwart
12-02-2014, 06:56 PM
about 10 years ago Rainmaker and his brothers did some work on his Grandmother's (RIP) house that was built in the 20's. they had used newspapers between the studs for insulation.

I have seen that ... these magazines were just placed in there ... 4 of them ... I wonder if some worker set down his lunchtime reading and some other guy put the wall in over them?

garhkal
12-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Wow. One wonders how some of this stuff made it in there.