PDA

View Full Version : Ducks as "emotional assistance animals?

garhkal
10-30-2014, 05:36 AM
I can understand animals like dogs and cats being used for "emotional support, and even other needs like dogs do for epilepsy and such, but anyone EVER hear of ducks being used as 'support' animals??

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/10/29/west-lafayette-ohio--iraq-war-veteran-sentenced-for-raising-ducks.html

TJMAC77SP
10-30-2014, 12:59 PM
I can't pretend to walk in Welker's shoes but it seems that one or two ducks would suffice for the reasons he states he needs them. The other side of the question is why is the ordinance necessary? Is there a nuisance aspect to keeping the ducks?

At the end of the day the courts (more than likely) will have to rule on this. The term most often used when dealing with these situations is 'reasonable accommodation'. Is allowing him to keep the ducks in spite of the ordinance a reasonable accommodation (with the community as a whole being taken into consideration)?

Rainmaker
10-30-2014, 05:48 PM
I can't pretend to walk in Welker's shoes but it seems that one or two ducks would suffice for the reasons he states he needs them. The other side of the question is why is the ordinance necessary? Is there a nuisance aspect to keeping the ducks?

At the end of the day the courts (more than likely) will have to rule on this. The term most often used when dealing with these situations is 'reasonable accommodation'. Is allowing him to keep the ducks in spite of the ordinance a reasonable accommodation (with the community as a whole being taken into consideration)?

that Welker sounds like a real quack...

garhkal
10-30-2014, 07:08 PM

IIRC of the TV segment, the reason for the Ordinance, was that the town already had a law on the books against farm animals being kept in the town, which ducks for some reason come under. so they had to write the ordinance to "Give him his reasonable accommodation".
What i would like to know in situations like this is, what accommodation is being given to the neighbors who don't want to be annoyed by duck sounds day in and day out?

Also, what exactly constitutes an "Emotional support" animal? Is it any animal that tickles someone's fancy? Does it have to be off an established list?
Can they be taken into restaurants etc?

Rainmaker
10-30-2014, 07:28 PM
IIRC of the TV segment, the reason for the Ordinance, was that the town already had a law on the books against farm animals being kept in the town, which ducks for some reason come under. so they had to write the ordinance to "Give him his reasonable accommodation".
What i would like to know in situations like this is, what accommodation is being given to the neighbors who don't want to be annoyed by duck sounds day in and day out?

Also, what exactly constitutes an "Emotional support" animal? Is it any animal that tickles someone's fancy? Does it have to be off an established list?

Usually in Ohio it'd be Sheep..

TJMAC77SP
10-30-2014, 09:17 PM

I wondered about the annoyance to the neighbors which is why I thought maybe the ordinance was passed in the first place.

As to what constitutes an emotional support animal I suppose that one will most likely end up in the courts. I can picture being in the local Applebee's when this guy brings his ducks in.