PDA

View Full Version : "Obama salutes Marine with coffee cup, outrage ensues"

Bourne
09-24-2014, 03:04 PM
http://blogs.militarytimes.com/battle-rattle/2014/09/23/obama-salute-coffee/
On his way to participate in a United Nations talk on Climate Change, and coming from his national address on airstrikes in Syria, President Barack Obama stepped off Marine One and proceeded to salute Marines with a coffee cup in his hand.
White House aides later posted that video to Instagram, and that’s when things went downhill. The White House press department didn’t immediately respond to queries about the salute.
ABC published a story dubbing it the “Latte Salute.” Washington Times ran a headline that incorporated the words “Semper Latte.” Finally, a Daily Caller story cited the manual for Marine officer candidates stating the salute is “the most important of all military courtesies.”
Of course the comment sections in each of these posts featured more than a few disgruntled folks. Twitter also hosted a horde of trolls.
Obama isn’t the only president who’s had a salute snafu (or two). Then-President George W. Bush was somewhat infamously captured awkwardly saluting while holding his dog.
The presidential salute, while not required, has become somewhat of a protocol since the Reagan years.
Carey Winfrey, the retired editor of Smithsonian Magazine and a former Marine, wrote an outstanding article for the New York Times about the presidential salute. In it, he asserts, “when it comes to salutes (and one or two other matters), presidents deserved to be cut some slack.”

TJMAC77SP
09-24-2014, 04:23 PM
http://blogs.militarytimes.com/battle-rattle/2014/09/23/obama-salute-coffee/
On his way to participate in a United Nations talk on Climate Change, and coming from his national address on airstrikes in Syria, President Barack Obama stepped off Marine One and proceeded to salute Marines with a coffee cup in his hand.
White House aides later posted that video to Instagram, and that’s when things went downhill. The White House press department didn’t immediately respond to queries about the salute.
ABC published a story dubbing it the “Latte Salute.” Washington Times ran a headline that incorporated the words “Semper Latte.” Finally, a Daily Caller story cited the manual for Marine officer candidates stating the salute is “the most important of all military courtesies.”
Of course the comment sections in each of these posts featured more than a few disgruntled folks. Twitter also hosted a horde of trolls.
Obama isn’t the only president who’s had a salute snafu (or two). Then-President George W. Bush was somewhat infamously captured awkwardly saluting while holding his dog.
The presidential salute, while not required, has become somewhat of a protocol since the Reagan years.
Carey Winfrey, the retired editor of Smithsonian Magazine and a former Marine, wrote an outstanding article for the New York Times about the presidential salute. In it, he asserts, “when it comes to salutes (and one or two other matters), presidents deserved to be cut some slack.”

I have to agree with Winfrey. I don't think this shows anything other than someone trying to do the right thing having never served in the military and being ignorant of it's procedures. I do hope that he would call in one of his military aids and have then explain the uproar and protocol for saluting and therefore we won't see this kind of thing again.

Stalwart
09-24-2014, 04:56 PM
On one hand, he wasn't in the military and doesn't get the customs and courtesies ... at least he tried saluting.

On the other hand, he's been President for a while now, I would think someone may have explained it; as is pointed out, President Bush did something similar as well, and he had been in the military.

In all honesty, I have seen the same type stuff from folks IN UNIFORM too and have corrected a few people ... not many but a few. In all honesty, I can find a lot more to criticize about him than this if I would like.

LogDog
09-24-2014, 05:46 PM
There will be many people who will be outrage because of the salute but what they won't admit to is there is no requirement for the President to return a salute. The President isn't a member of the military and therefore not required to salute. Some will argue since he is the Commander-in-Chief he is part of the military but in reality he is a civilian which is in keeping with the framers of the Constitution wanting civilian control over the military.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
09-24-2014, 07:06 PM
The Community Organizer has been in office for almost 6 years. No excuse for the half-assed salute.

CJSmith
09-24-2014, 07:17 PM
The Community Organizer has been in office for almost 6 years. No excuse for the half-assed salute.

I've seen officers in double that time give crappier salutes.

Stalwart
09-24-2014, 07:36 PM
I've seen officers in double that time give crappier salutes.

No doubt. I was once saluted by a MSgt with a cigarette in his hand, also sub-par.

sandsjames
09-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Would be much better, IMO, if saluting was done for "official" reasons only. So annoying when there are 5 people walking one way and 5 walking the other and everyone is throwing their hands up. It just seems to take any meaning, respect, and tradition out of it. It's almost like the reflex "I love you" in a 20 year marriage...it's more of a habit than anything else. Once it's happening without meaning it's kind of pointless.

Measure Man
09-24-2014, 09:17 PM
Would be much better, IMO, if saluting was done for "official" reasons only. So annoying when there are 5 people walking one way and 5 walking the other and everyone is throwing their hands up. It just seems to take any meaning, respect, and tradition out of it. It's almost like the reflex "I love you" in a 20 year marriage...it's more of a habit than anything else. Once it's happening without meaning it's kind of pointless.

When I was a young airman in a gaggle walking to the chow hall, if we saw our sq officers approaching we would purposely spread out so they would have to salute 10 times individually...LOL.

Enlisted people only have to salute officers...officers have to salute everybody except their own rank! I am kind of surprised they haven't put the kibosh on it a long time ago.

BURAWSKI
09-25-2014, 12:16 AM
A tempest in a teapot. Not really that important. He is a civilian Commander in Chief. He probably shouldn't have bothered to try and salute with the latte in hand though, just out of professionalism. But hey, it's just my opinion.

garhkal
09-25-2014, 12:34 AM
When I was a young airman in a gaggle walking to the chow hall, if we saw our sq officers approaching we would purposely spread out so they would have to salute 10 times individually...LOL.

Enlisted people only have to salute officers...officers have to salute everybody except their own rank! I am kind of surprised they haven't put the kibosh on it a long time ago.

Been there done that myself. I have often heard some people say they salute one officer , then run a little away and come back to resalute him, just to see if the officer returns the salute.

TJMAC77SP
09-25-2014, 01:15 AM

At Incirlik one of my friends got jammed up by a 2Lt who thought he wasn't saluted fast enough. After that we did the same thing you describe after every mid shift. All those officers walking to work from BOQ......

grimreaper
09-25-2014, 01:48 AM

LOL, while I was working at a MAJCOM HQ, I would intentionally seek out O's in the parking lot when I was walking into/out of the building either going to/coming from lunch or whatever. It was hilarious watching them try to intentionally avoid you as you got closer. It was like I was the same polarity magnet and as I got closer, they got pushed farther and farther away. I've no kidding had O's walk out into the middle of a grass area (off the sidewalk) just to avoid me. It was funny because I told the O's I actually worked with that I did it and they got a good laugh, but I think I acquired a reputation and a "be on the lookout for" this guy.

BURAWSKI
09-25-2014, 03:16 AM
LOL, while I was working at a MAJCOM HQ, I would intentionally seek out O's in the parking lot when I was walking into/out of the building either going to/coming from lunch or whatever. It was hilarious watching them try to intentionally avoid you as you got closer. It was like I was the same polarity magnet and as I got closer, they got pushed farther and farther away. I've no kidding had O's walk out into the middle of a grass area (off the sidewalk) just to avoid me. It was funny because I told the O's I actually worked with that I did it and they got a good laugh, but I think I acquired a reputation and a "be on the lookout for" this guy.

Reminds me of those that duck and run in order to avoid colors, just so they do not have to stop, stand and salute the flag. It is sort of along the same lines. But really I think the President is smart enough to know that he should give the military more respect. He makes a habit of saluting even when it is not required so why can't he do it right? Not because he doesn't really "know" how, but because he just doesn't respect the profession by being professional.

grimreaper
09-25-2014, 03:30 AM

Reminds me of those that duck and run in order to avoid colors, just so they do not have to stop, stand and salute the flag. It is sort of along the same lines. But really I think the President is smart enough to know that he should give the military more respect. He makes a habit of saluting even when it is not required so why can't he do it right? Not because he doesn't really "know" how, but because he just doesn't respect the profession by being professional.

My thing is that if you're going to do it, do it right, no matter who the President is. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all, since he's not required to do it anyway. If you've got a dog in your arm or a coffee cup in your saluting hand, save it for next time. We'll understand.

LogDog
09-25-2014, 04:47 AM
A tempest in a teapot. Not really that important. He is a civilian Commander in Chief. He probably shouldn't have bothered to try and salute with the latte in hand though, just out of professionalism. But hey, it's just my opinion.
I agree. A simple acknowledgement of the Marine's salute would be sufficient.

Bunch
09-25-2014, 05:38 AM

^^^ This totally!!!

sandsjames
09-25-2014, 10:34 AM
This is no big deal...it's really scraping the bottom of the barrel for his critics. It's nothing more than his critics taking advantage of the culture that has been created saying that military members are the "be all, end all" and deserve the ultimate respect. It's embarrassing for this to even be a topic.

Stalwart
09-25-2014, 10:40 AM
President Bush doing a rather bad one too:
http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/ea5421fd03.jpg

I am not much of a Star Trek fan, but thought this pretty funny:
http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-oval/2012/04/05/obama-startrekx-inset-community.jpg

efmbman
09-25-2014, 11:11 AM
This is no big deal...it's really scraping the bottom of the barrel for his critics. It's nothing more than his critics taking advantage of the culture that has been created saying that military members are the "be all, end all" and deserve the ultimate respect. It's embarrassing for this to even be a topic.

Obama could discover the cure for cancer and there would still be critics. I am not a fan of Obama, but this is a non-issue. There are plenty of real issues to choose from in my opinion.

giggawatt
09-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Obama could discover the cure for cancer and there would still be critics. I am not a fan of Obama, but this is a non-issue. There are plenty of real issues to choose from in my opinion.

But it would be based on Bush's research.

TJMAC77SP
09-25-2014, 01:01 PM
But it would be based on Bush's research.

You beat me to it.

Rusty Jones
09-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Just a few weeks ago, it was the tan suit. And it didn't take very long to for people to pull up pics of Reagan, Bush Sr, and Bill Clinton wearing tan suits during speeches or official functions.

The Air Force times posted a slideshow of shitty presidential salutes, some of them coming from presidents who actually DID serve (Bush Jr isn't the only one).

Presidents do off-kilter shit all the time, and no one notices until Obama does it. Lately, he's really had no incentive to maintain any kind of bearing... if he so much as breathes funny, people are going to be all over it (and, of course, there'll be video clips of previous presidents breathing funny too).

sandsjames
09-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Just a few weeks ago, it was the tan suit. And it didn't take very long to for people to pull up pics of Reagan, Bush Sr, and Bill Clinton wearing tan suits during speeches or official functions.

The Air Force times posted a slideshow of shitty presidential salutes, some of them coming from presidents who actually DID serve (Bush Jr isn't the only one).

Presidents do off-kilter shit all the time, and no one notices until Obama does it. Lately, he's really had no incentive to maintain any kind of bearing... if he so much as breathes funny, people are going to be all over it (and, of course, there'll be video clips of previous presidents breathing funny too).

I'll disagree that nobody noticed the other ones. I remember GWs being an issue. But, remember, before that there wasn't the social media to spread this shit around

TJMAC77SP
09-25-2014, 04:54 PM
I'll disagree that nobody noticed the other ones. I remember GWs being an issue. But, remember, before that there wasn't the social media to spread this shit around

Come on SJ. We all know Obama is the only President who has ever faced unwarranted criticism.

Besides, I relish saving these missives of tripe to bring up later. There is entertainment value here.

Rusty Jones
09-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Unwarranted criticism on policy or things that were said, maybe. But not on things as trivial as this.

What's next? Is Obama gonna get caught on camera in a public restroom stall wiping his ass standing up and get ridiculed because everyone believes that you should wipe your ass sitting down? Is he going to open a Christmas gift on TV by tearing off the wrapping paper, and get criticised for not carefully opening it by gently undoing the tape and ensuring that the wrapping paper comes off in one piece and untorn?

It's getting to the point where he won't even be able to breathe, because someone is going to have something to say about the way he breathes.

sandsjames
09-25-2014, 06:06 PM
Unwarranted criticism on policy or things that were said, maybe. But not on things as trivial as this.

What's next? Is Obama gonna get caught on camera in a public restroom stall wiping his ass standing up and get ridiculed because everyone believes that you should wipe your ass sitting down? Is he going to open a Christmas gift on TV by tearing off the wrapping paper, and get criticised for not carefully opening it by gently undoing the tape and ensuring that the wrapping paper comes off in one piece and untorn?

It's getting to the point where he won't even be able to breathe, because someone is going to have something to say about the way he breathes.Do you remember the weeks (and still on many satirical shows) of videos and criticisms of G-dubs pronunciation "Nucular"? Is that not something that's pretty trivial? I have a hard time believing that it's any different for our current president than it has been for any president, but only seems much worse because of the prominence of social media and the 24 hour news cycles.

TJMAC77SP
09-25-2014, 06:17 PM

It's getting to the point where he won't even be able to breathe, because someone is going to have something to say about the way he breathes.

Which is why these statements always make me chuckle. To believe that Obama somehow stands alone in the amount of ridicule he garners from relatively minor shit is just plain silly.

efmbman
09-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Do you remember the weeks (and still on many satirical shows) of videos and criticisms of G-dubs pronunciation "Nucular"? Is that not something that's pretty trivial? I have a hard time believing that it's any different for our current president than it has been for any president, but only seems much worse because of the prominence of social media and the 24 hour news cycles.

I recall that several comments and statements were attributed to Sarah Palin, but were actually said by Tina Fey in the Palin character. I'm no fan of Palin, and based on her actual comments she probably deserved the teasing. Once one chooses a life of politics, all bets are off and those that oppose will always find a reason to nit-pick.

sandsjames
09-25-2014, 07:51 PM
I recall that several comments and statements were attributed to Sarah Palin, but were actually said by Tina Fey in the Palin character. I'm no fan of Palin, and based on her actual comments she probably deserved the teasing. Once one chooses a life of politics, all bets are off and those that oppose will always find a reason to nit-pick.

Exactly...it's just frustrating that now it seems almost taboo to do it because we have a black president.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
09-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Exactly...it's just frustrating that now it seems almost taboo to do it because we have a black president.

Well, it doesn't help that some of the more outspoken progressives have convinced their supporters that criticism of the POTUS in ANY form is based on racism and racism alone.

Rusty Jones
09-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Do you remember the weeks (and still on many satirical shows) of videos and criticisms of G-dubs pronunciation "Nucular"? Is that not something that's pretty trivial? I have a hard time believing that it's any different for our current president than it has been for any president, but only seems much worse because of the prominence of social media and the 24 hour news cycles.

Yeah, Bush was subject to mockery and ridicule for it - not anger, not outrage, not accusations of being disrepectful to the country, the troops, or anything like that. People just made fun of him. That's it.

Obama's two latest incidents - the coffee salute, and the tan suit - sparked anger and outrage. There's the difference.

sandsjames
09-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Yeah, Bush was subject to mockery and ridicule for it - not anger, not outrage, not accusations of being disrepectful to the country, the troops, or anything like that. People just made fun of him. That's it.

Obama's two latest incidents - the coffee salute, and the tan suit - sparked anger and outrage. There's the difference.

The don't speak anger and outrage...they speak idiocy from a small, loud group of people. Are there people who bitch about this stuff because they are racist? Absolutely. Do the majority agree that the suit or the coffee was a big deal? Not at all. Again, I'll use GW as a comparison, since he's the only other president in the prominent social media age. It's easy to say that his criticisms came because simply because of the way he sounded and fit the Texan stereotype. Did that impact some of the ridicule? Yes. But is it ultimately why his detractors criticized everything he did? Not at all. It's simply because, in this day and age, any slip up is going to be national news. Our presidents are celebrities...and the country can't wait to hear something bad about celebrities. It's ratings, it's readers, it's money. Unfortunately, if Hillary gets elected in 2016, we'll have to hear how all criticisms are happening because she is a woman.

TJMAC77SP
09-26-2014, 02:55 PM

Subject to ridicule not outrage.........?!?!

Come on. Jesus Christ.

There is no difference, except perhaps a preconceived difference in your mind. Hell, even though Bush served that was mentioned with derision because it was the ANG and because "Daddy got him out of the war". That isn't outrage and anger. Again, come on.......................

Rusty Jones
09-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Subject to ridicule not outrage.........?!?!

Come on. Jesus Christ.

There is no difference, except perhaps a preconceived difference in your mind.

So when you were a child, what would happen to you if walked into the house tracking mud on the carpet? Would your parents point at you and laugh? Is that how they reacted to behavior that would normally warrant a grounding or spanking in most other households?

Well, that shouldn't be a bad thing... afterall, what's the difference? There is none, right?

Hell, even though Bush served that was mentioned with derision because it was the ANG and because "Daddy got him out of the war". That isn't outrage and anger. Again, come on.......................

I don't understand what you just said here, but the point is... nothing about him that's been pointed out through nitpicking sparked outrage. Ridicule maybe, but not outrage.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 04:29 PM
"We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people." ~Paul Ryan

Paul Ryan did make this statement, but if you watch the longer video clip you can tell it was a slip of the tongue. The sentence right before this quote he claims certain policies are destroying the healthcare system and he wants to stop those. Then this sentence just appears to be accidentally missing a few words, something along the lines of "We're not going to give up on [stopping what we believe is] destroying the health care system..."
http://quotefail.com/quote/paul-ryan-were-not-going-give-destroying-health

Rusty is still trying to mislead us. @ Rusty: Why are you trying to mislead us?

Rusty Jones
09-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Paul Ryan did make this statement, but if you watch the longer video clip you can tell it was a slip of the tongue. The sentence right before this quote he claims certain policies are destroying the healthcare system and he wants to stop those. Then this sentence just appears to be accidentally missing a few words, something along the lines of "We're not going to give up on [stopping what we believe is] destroying the health care system..."
http://quotefail.com/quote/paul-ryan-were-not-going-give-destroying-health

Rusty is still trying to mislead us. @ Rusty: Why are you trying to mislead us?

Because it pisses you off.

TJMAC77SP
09-26-2014, 04:38 PM
So when you were a child, what would happen to you if walked into the house tracking mud on the carpet? Would your parents point at you and laugh? Is that how they reacted to behavior that would normally warrant a grounding or spanking in most other households?

Well, that shouldn't be a bad thing... afterall, what's the difference? There is none, right?

I don't understand what you just said here, but the point is... nothing about him that's been pointed out through nitpicking sparked outrage. Ridicule maybe, but not outrage.

As I said, it's a preconceived difference in your head only....................well, to be honest, you are not alone in this thinking but it is wrong nonetheless.

TJMAC77SP
09-26-2014, 04:39 PM

I understand why you keep it there NOW but why post it to begin with?

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 04:39 PM

(**giggle**)

Rusty Jones
09-26-2014, 04:40 PM
As I said, it's a preconceived difference in your head only....................well, to be honest, you are not alone in this thinking but it is wrong nonetheless.

Gee, I envy your children if you have any. If they do anything wrong, all they have to worry about is getting pointed to and laughed at. I wish I could've been that lucky.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 04:40 PM
I understand why you keep it there NOW but why post it to begin with?

Because he wants to mislead us.

Rusty Jones
09-26-2014, 04:43 PM

And here you go again with that "us" thing, still trying to drag others into something that only YOU care about.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 04:45 PM
And here you go again with that "us" thing, still trying to drag others into something that only YOU care about.

And you STILL didn't answer my question: Why are you trying to mislead us?

Rusty Jones
09-26-2014, 04:46 PM
And you STILL didn't answer my question: Why are you trying to mislead us?

And I'm not going to answer it. I'm just gonna leave you hanging. Sorry!

TJMAC77SP
09-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Gee, I envy your children if you have any. If they do anything wrong, all they have to worry about is getting pointed to and laughed at. I wish I could've been that lucky.

Honestly speaking here. Do you consider that a valid and cogent response? In truth it's a rhetorical question but sometimes I really wonder.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 04:50 PM
And I'm not going to answer it. I'm just gonna leave you hanging. Sorry!

Do you even understand that your quote of Paul Ryan is misleading?

TJMAC77SP
09-26-2014, 04:52 PM

I will repeat my last post but this time would really like an answer. Do you consider that a real response to a valid question?

If so, perhaps you could outline how he is trying to mislead us. I truthfully an not an expert on Paul Ryan and his budget plans except that they include cuts and lower caps in discretionary spending which quite frankly sounds prudent to me.

sandsjames
09-26-2014, 04:52 PM

I'm getting the feeling that this MRM site you linked to may be located in a compound somewhere in Waco, TX. Also, I'd like to know who "us" is. Very curious.

Rusty Jones
09-26-2014, 04:54 PM

How about... I don't give a fuck?

I will repeat my last post but this time would really like an answer. Do you consider that a real response to a valid question?

If so, perhaps you could outline how he is trying to mislead us. I truthfully an not an expert on Paul Ryan and his budget plans except that they include cuts and lower caps in discretionary spending which quite frankly sounds prudent to me.

Is it okay if I answer you through PM? I don't want to entertain USN-Retired's little obsession out here.

TJMAC77SP
09-26-2014, 04:58 PM
How about... I don't give a fuck?

Is it okay if I answer you through PM? I don't want to entertain USN-Retired's little obsession out here.

Look, USN is baiting you.......fine but if your quote attributed to Ryan is misleading and not correct perhaps you should correct it.

I don't carry any flags for Paul Ryan and quite frankly am not smart enough to fully understand the economics of his budgets but I do know that to say for example that he (or others) want to "end Medicare (Social Security) as we know it" is pure bullshit and scaremongering at its best.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Also, I'd like to know who "us" is.

Anyone on the forum who is interested in the truth. Does that not include you?

Rusty Jones
09-26-2014, 05:04 PM
So, about Obama and that coffee cup salute...

sandsjames
09-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Anyone on the forum who is interested in the truth. Does that not include you?

Ah, yes, one of those questions that doesn't leave an option for an answer...like the sales guy asking "Would you like to have more money in your pocket?"

Do you have any idea how crazy and brainwashed you sound? Seriously, I hope you are just trolling. Otherwise, you need to seek some help before you end up sitting in a big room drinking some kool aid with a group of like minded people.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Ah, yes, one of those questions that doesn't leave an option for an answer...like the sales guy asking "Would you like to have more money in your pocket?"

Do you have any idea how crazy and brainwashed you sound? Seriously, I hope you are just trolling. Otherwise, you need to seek some help before you end up sitting in a big room drinking some kool aid with a group of like minded people.

I'm just asking RJ why he has a misleading quote in his signature line.

sandsjames
09-26-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm just asking RJ why he has a misleading quote in his signature line.

I'll answer for him. It's for the same exact reason that you put your own spin on the Emma Watson speech. Too bad you can't see your hypocrisy.

Rusty Jones
09-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Look, I'll answer his question: I know that he made a mistake when he said it (so it's not technically a "misquote"), but so fucking what? Have you ever said something by mistake, but still got fucked with afterwards even though everyone knew it was a mistake?

That's why it's there. That quote has been there for at least a year, and it's long overdue for an update... and I was going to do it soon, but USN-Retired just breathed new life into it.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 05:24 PM
I'll answer for him. It's for the same exact reason that you put your own spin on the Emma Watson speech. Too bad you can't see your hypocrisy.

I din't put "my own spin" on it. I just reported the facts.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Look, I'll answer his question: I know that he made a mistake when he said it (so it's not technically a "misquote"), but so fucking what?

It is not a misquote, but it is a misleading quote.

, but USN-Retired just breathed new life into it.

Is that your way of thanking me?

If you don't like my posts, then you can add me to your ignore list.

sandsjames
09-26-2014, 05:34 PM
I din't put "my own spin" on it. I just reported the facts.

You reported the "facts" by making assumptions about what she meant instead of what the quote actually was. How is that anywhere remote to being "the facts"? What you meant to say is that you gave your opinion and assumption of what she meant because you choose to be anti-woman. Rusty chose to use his quote because he is anti-conservative. At least with Rusty's sig line, he used an actual quote. It is something that Ryan actually said, word for word.

Rusty Jones
09-26-2014, 05:35 PM
It is not a misquote, but it is a misleading quote.

Is that your way of thanking me?

If you don't like my posts, then you can add me to your ignore list.

Take it how you want. I'd have been content to just leave you hanging; but then you started baiting SJ into in your petty concerns, and no doubt would've baited others... that's why I answered your question. You have your answer... so go pat yourself on the back, beat your chest, or whatever is that you need to.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 05:57 PM
You reported the "facts" by making assumptions about what she meant instead of what the quote actually was. How is that anywhere remote to being "the facts"? What you meant to say is that you gave your opinion and assumption of what she meant because you choose to be anti-woman. Rusty chose to use his quote because he is anti-conservative. At least with Rusty's sig line, he used an actual quote. It is something that Ryan actually said, word for word.

Am I not allowed to make assumptions based on the facts of what she said and what she didn't say? Of note, I provided a link in my post about her, and that link had a link to her entire speech, so I am not trying to hide anything. What RJ is doing is completely different. He is providing us with a misleading quote by Paul Ryan, and RJ is doing it in every post of his.

And if you don't like my posts, please feel free to add me to your ignore list.

sandsjames
09-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Am I not allowed to make assumptions based on the facts of what she said and what she didn't say? Of note, I provided a link in my post about her, and that link had a link to her entire speech, so I am not trying to hide anything. What RJ is doing is completely different. He is providing us with a misleading quote by Paul Ryan, and RJ is doing it in every post of his.

And if you don't like my posts, please feel free to add me to your ignore list.

You provided a link to a site that is dedicated to "men's rights" (whatever that means) with editorials by contributors to that site and you don't think that those editorials didn't include spin?

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 06:07 PM
You provided a link to a site that is dedicated to "men's rights" (whatever that means) with editorials by contributors to that site and you don't think that those editorials didn't include spin?

I'm sure that they do have a spin. Just because they have a "spin", it doesn't mean that their "spin" is without merit.

OBTW, why are you responding to my post? I was hoping that you would have added me to your ignore list by now.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 06:16 PM
You provided a link to a site that is dedicated to "men's rights" (whatever that means)

Here's a balanced article about the men's rights movement:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_rights_movement

Of note to all forum readers: RJ and SJ will not see this post as I am on their ignore list.

sandsjames
09-26-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm sure that they do have a spin. Just because they have a "spin", it doesn't mean that their "spin" is without merit.

OBTW, why are you responding to my post? I was hoping that you would have added me to your ignore list by now.

Why would I add you to my ignore list? I love watching people spin out of control as they plummet into the land of conspiracy theories.

Rusty Jones
09-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Let's just call a spade a spade, here: USN-Retired hates poor people (and he can spare me his "tough love" bullshit), he hates women, and he comes here for the sole purpose of pestering others.

What this adds up to is USN-Retired being socially retarded. We all see how he interacts with other men, so I'd be pretty scared to see how he interacts with women. Why is he into MRM? Could it be that he has an ex-wife that took him to the cleaners after years of putting up with far more bullshit than we see from him on MTF? It wouldn't shock me in the slightest if got out that he used to beat the shit out of her.

sandsjames
09-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Here's a balanced article about the men's rights movement:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_rights_movement

Of note to all forum readers: RJ and SJ will not see this post as I am on their ignore list.

"In the 1980s and 90s, men's rights activists opposed societal changes sought by feminists and defended the traditional gender order in the family, schools and the workplace."

That quote, from the wiki article (has this country really fell that far as to be using wiki as a legitimate source for anything?), shows exactly what this "movement" is about.

Now, the quote has 2 possible interpretations. One possibility is that it's saying nothing more than it's ok for women to fill the traditional role, but not necessary. Or, the other possibility is that I can discount any good intentions, the route you took with the feminist speech, and claim it's stating that men and women have a role and that women shouldn't be doing anything outside of the traditional female role. It simply depends on the position one has coming into the discussion.

Can you not see this?

sandsjames
09-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Let's just call a spade a spade, here: USN-Retired hates poor people (and he can spare me his "tough love" bullshit), he hates women, and he comes here for the sole purpose of pestering others.

What this adds up to is USN-Retired being socially retarded. We all see how he interacts with other men, so I'd be pretty scared to see how he interacts with women. Why is he into MRM? Could it be that he has an ex-wife that took him to the cleaners after years of putting up with far more bullshit than we see from him on MTF? It wouldn't shock me in the slightest if got out that he used to beat the shit out of her.

I won't make any assumptions about how he treats women. I will say, though, that's it's scary to think that people with these sort of views actually have a vote that counts as much as everyone else.

It's almost as if his views on these topics are the exact same as the radical Islamists.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 06:44 PM
"In the 1980s and 90s, men's rights activists opposed societal changes sought by feminists and defended the traditional gender order in the family, schools and the workplace."

That quote, from the wiki article (has this country really fell that far as to be using wiki as a legitimate source for anything?), shows exactly what this "movement" is about.

Now, the quote has 2 possible interpretations. One possibility is that it's saying nothing more than it's ok for women to fill the traditional role, but not necessary. Or, the other possibility is that I can discount any good intentions, the route you took with the feminist speech, and claim it's stating that men and women have a role and that women shouldn't be doing anything outside of the traditional female role. It simply depends on the position one has coming into the discussion.

Can you not see this?

I never said that men's rights activists are perfect. The wiki article that I posted gives the good and the bad about the men's rights movement, i.e. a balanced view. Of course, you are just "cherry picking" from the bad.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 06:48 PM

@ RJ: That's some big talk, and probably one of the most amusing ad hominem attacks that I have seen on this forum. Didn't you once say that your ex-wife hen-pecked you into re-enlisting into the military? Perhaps you are trying to project your insecurities as a man onto me.

@ moderators: I know that we are getting a bit out of control here, but please give us a warning before you start banning people.

sandsjames
09-26-2014, 06:58 PM
I never said that men's rights activists are perfect. The wiki article that I posted gives the good and the bad about the men's rights movement, i.e. a balanced view. Of course, you are just "cherry picking" from the bad.

I didn't cherry pick from the bad. I grabbed a quote that could be taken two different ways, and even stated the two interpretations, in order to make a point about your comments on the feminist speech...nothing more, nothing less...yet you again infer something that was never implied. Seems to be a habit of yours.

USN - Retired
09-26-2014, 07:12 PM
I didn't cherry pick from the bad. I grabbed a quote that could be taken two different ways, and even stated the two interpretations, in order to make a point about your comments on the feminist speech...nothing more, nothing less...yet you again infer something that was never implied. Seems to be a habit of yours.

Okay. I now understand what you were saying. Does that mean that we are free to discuss different interpretations? It seems that if someone's interpretation of a speech, comment, etc is different than your interpretation, you tend to respond with personal attacks. RJ responds in the same way too.

sandsjames
09-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Okay. I now understand what you were saying. Does that mean that we are free to discuss different interpretations? It seems that if someone's interpretation of a speech, comment, etc is different than your interpretation, you tend to respond with personal attacks. RJ responds in the same way too.

All I'm saying about any of this (and where it started) is that the statements made in that speech seemed like a step in the right direction in trying to rid the world of the man-hating feminist in order to validate the "equal-rights" movement for women. I didn't interpret what she said, I quoted it word for word. Without knowing how someone thinks, the only fair option is to take it at face value until they prove otherwise. If that doesn't happen, then you end up with a non-stop cycle of criticism about anything anybody says, from his/her opponents, and no progress can be made in finding a middle ground.

TJMAC77SP
09-26-2014, 07:54 PM

I am not sure where you can show where USN 'hates poor people'. That smacks of blatant hyperbole and detracts from whatever point you are making.

Even worse is an assumption that he 'used to beat the shit' out of his ex-wife.

What is more likely and something I have always believed is that USN lost a good chunk of his retirement to his ex-wife and he feels this isn't right. I can understand that completely. While my personal reaction has been different I nonetheless can at least see where he is coming from. He has undoubtedly allowed this to color his opinion of women in general and I have pointed out his own hyperbole in the past but I will refrain from making such incredible statements regarding his hatred for any group or having beat anyone. There simply isn't anything to back up those assertions.

Awhile back I wrote how a former friend on FB (his myopic bullshit got too much for me and I unfriended him) accused me of being part of the Tea Party simply because I highlighted the absurdity of a headline pulled from the HuffPost regarding an attempt by Sarah Palin at being humorous. In order to promote their own agenda they chose to ignore the obvious humor in her statement and promote it as straight news. My 'friend' picked up this ball and added to it. I called bullshit and so, of course I became a Tea Party member. That is the kind of absurd assertion in the absence of actual proof that creates these multi-page threads which say and do nothing.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-27-2014, 07:18 PM
I am not sure where you can show where USN 'hates poor people'. That smacks of blatant hyperbole and detracts from whatever point you are making.

Even worse is an assumption that he 'used to beat the shit' out of his ex-wife.

What is more likely and something I have always believed is that USN lost a good chunk of his retirement to his ex-wife and he feels this isn't right. I can understand that completely. While my personal reaction has been different I nonetheless can at least see where he is coming from. He has undoubtedly allowed this to color his opinion of women in general and I have pointed out his own hyperbole in the past but I will refrain from making such incredible statements regarding his hatred for any group or having beat anyone. There simply isn't anything to back up those assertions.

Awhile back I wrote how a former friend on FB (his myopic bullshit got too much for me and I unfriended him) accused me of being part of the Tea Party simply because I highlighted the absurdity of a headline pulled from the HuffPost regarding an attempt by Sarah Palin at being humorous. In order to promote their own agenda they chose to ignore the obvious humor in her statement and promote it as straight news. My 'friend' picked up this ball and added to it. I called bullshit and so, of course I became a Tea Party member. That is the kind of absurd assertion in the absence of actual proof that creates these multi-page threads which say and do nothing.

Do you posses even the slightest amount of humor? It seems you would prefer it if every comment made in here was devoid of any color, character, or flair.

People engage in hyperbole, and add a bit of irreverence to their posts.

Deal with it, and stop crying about it.

Using words like hyperbole and crying that you a victim of an ad hominem attack doesn't make you sound smart or give you the upper hand.

TJMAC77SP
09-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Do you posses even the slightest amount of humor? It seems you would prefer it if every comment made in here was devoid of any color, character, or flair.

People engage in hyperbole, and add a bit of irreverence to their posts.

Deal with it, and stop crying about it.

Using words like hyperbole and crying that you a victim of an ad hominem attack doesn't make you sound smart or give you the upper hand.

Did someone call you a bad name today? What the fuck are you talking about? I have to again ask if you actually read my post. My former FB friend's lack of a sense of humor is exactly what I commented about and NO I will not 'get over' blatant and ridiculous hyperbolic tripe. For example your use of the word 'crying' would be a very good example of that.

Do you actually agree with Rusty that USN 'hates poor people' and that he 'used to beat the shit' out of his ex-wife? Jesus, you are out of your ever-loving mind !

Again, you are the only talking about the 'upper hand' in anonymous internet discussions, but, feel free to put this down as a 'win' in your spread sheet.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Did someone call you a bad name today? What the fuck are you talking about? I have to again ask if you actually read my post. My former FB friend's lack of a sense of humor is exactly what I commented about and NO I will not 'get over' blatant and ridiculous hyperbolic tripe. For example your use of the word 'crying' would be a very good example of that.

Do you actually agree with Rusty that USN 'hates poor people' and that he 'used to beat the shit' out of his ex-wife? Jesus, you are out of your ever-loving mind !

Again, you are the only talking about the 'upper hand' in anonymous internet discussions, but, feel free to put this down as a 'win' in your spread sheet.

Oooh! Do tell us more about your little circle of FB friends; I'll bet that's one hell of an Algonquin Round Table.

I doubt that Rusty actually thinks USN hates the poor, or used to beat the shit out of his wife.

It is one of those things people say primarily to add humor, or color to their posts. While Rusty might have a general impression of the real USN based on his internet persona, I doubt he actually believes that.

Lighten the fuck up.

TJMAC77SP
09-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Oooh! Do tell us more about your little circle of FB friends; I'll bet that's one hell of an Algonquin Round Table.

I doubt that Rusty actually thinks USN hates the poor, or used to beat the shit out of his wife.

It is one of those things people say primarily to add humor, or color to their posts. While Rusty might have a general impression of the real USN based on his internet persona, I doubt he actually believes that.

Lighten the fuck up.

Ok, so you have nothing of substance to add so the sarcastic (attempted) humor shows up. So..........is that another win?

I can't say what Rusty believes but I surely believe that it was in no way an attempt at humor. I am also pretty sure you don't either but the alternative is just too distasteful isn't it?

And if those comments were funny to you we have found another word you and I have different definitions of.

USN - Retired
09-27-2014, 10:12 PM

But SJ said...

Without knowing how someone thinks, the only fair option is to take it at face value until they prove otherwise.

-----------------

I have never been insulted by any of RJ's posts. Here's why...

Dealing with Insult the Buddha Way: The Teaching of Buddha

One day Buddha was walking through a village, a very angry and rude young man came up and began insulting him. "You have no right teaching others!" he shouted. "You are as stupid as everyone else. You are nothing but a fake!"

Buddha was not upset by these insults; instead he asked the young man: "Tell me, if you buy a gift for someone and that person does not take it, to whom does the gift belong?" The man was surprised to be asked such a strange question and he answered, "It would belong to me because I bought the gift."

The Buddha smiled and said, "That is correct. And it is exactly the same with your anger. If you become angry with me and I do not get insulted, the anger falls back on you. You are then the only one who becomes unhappy, not me. All you have done is hurt yourself."

If you want to stop hurting yourself, you must get rid of your anger and become loving instead. When you hate others, you yourself become unhappy. But when you love others, everyone is happy.

sandsjames
09-28-2014, 12:08 AM
I have never been insulted by any of RJ's posts. Here's why...

Dealing with Insult the Buddha Way: The Teaching of Buddha

One day Buddha was walking through a village, a very angry and rude young man came up and began insulting him. "You have no right teaching others!" he shouted. "You are as stupid as everyone else. You are nothing but a fake!"

Buddha was not upset by these insults; instead he asked the young man: "Tell me, if you buy a gift for someone and that person does not take it, to whom does the gift belong?" The man was surprised to be asked such a strange question and he answered, "It would belong to me because I bought the gift."

The Buddha smiled and said, "That is correct. And it is exactly the same with your anger. If you become angry with me and I do not get insulted, the anger falls back on you. You are then the only one who becomes unhappy, not me. All you have done is hurt yourself."

If you want to stop hurting yourself, you must get rid of your anger and become loving instead. When you hate others, you yourself become unhappy. But when you love others, everyone is happy.Great quote. So why are you so angry with Rusty's sig line?

Rusty Jones
09-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Just to set the record straight on what I believe about USN-Retired:

1. Do I believe that he "beat the shit out of his ex-wife"? I never accused him of doing it. I just said it wouldn't surprise me if word got out that he did. However, I will say that if he's divorced, I do believe he has serious personality flaws that led to it.

2. Do I believe that he hates poor people? That all depends: does he actually believe what he says about poor people here, or does he say the things he says in order to stir the pot? The hateful things that he says - to be honest - I have a hard time believing that anyone can actually feel that way. If there's a benefit of the doubt to be given to USN-Retired, that's what it would be based on. Otherwise, if he believes what he posts here, then - yes - I believe he hates poor people.

TJMAC77SP
09-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Just to set the record straight on what I believe about USN-Retired:

1. Do I believe that he "beat the shit out of his ex-wife"? I never accused him of doing it. I just said it wouldn't surprise me if word got out that he did. However, I will say that if he's divorced, I do believe he has serious personality flaws that led to it.

2. Do I believe that he hates poor people? That all depends: does he actually believe what he says about poor people here, or does he say the things he says in order to stir the pot? The hateful things that he says - to be honest - I have a hard time believing that anyone can actually feel that way. If there's a benefit of the doubt to be given to USN-Retired, that's what it would be based on. Otherwise, if he believes what he posts here, then - yes - I believe he hates poor people.

So............you weren't trying to be funny. Got it. Thanks for at least setting that record straight.

I still don't fathom the incredible leap in logic you made to come to your conclusions but in the end it really doesn't matter.

Rusty Jones
09-28-2014, 04:22 PM
So............you weren't trying to be funny. Got it. Thanks for at least setting that record straight.

I still don't fathom the incredible leap in logic you made to come to your conclusions but in the end it really doesn't matter.

The same that SJ used when he concluded that USN-Retired is a misogynist. To be honest with you, I actually didn't notice it until SJ pointed that out - and likely, the reason I didn't really notice it much is because SJ is probably more conscious of the unearned privileges that he enjoys as a male, moreso than I am.

Looking at his posts, he does have very strong negative feelings towards women and poor people. Hell, he's a negative person in general. But especially towards those two groups.

He brought up my mentioning of my ex-wife cajoling me into reenlisting on active duty, in order to invalidate what I said about his divorce likely being a result of him mistreating his ex-wife.

Nice try. When I talk about that particular situation, it's in the context of reenlisting and why some people choose to stay or go. It's not in the context of bashing her, or women in general. I'm not bitter towards her about it (I reenlisted twice after I separated from her - three times if you count me joining the Air Force Reserve). That marriage is over, and has been for nine years - I've moved on with my life, and even when I was still in financial recovery stage during the separation process; I never attributed any negative experiences that I've had with her to the fact that she's a woman. I'm not into the MRM (I do hold many beliefs that result in me being considered a "red piller," but they all have to do with behavioral changes on the part of men that I believe need to be made), or any of that woman-hating bullshit.

So for USN-Retired to bring up my ex-wife cajoling me into reenlisting was a poor attempt at a red herring.

TJMAC77SP
09-28-2014, 05:11 PM
The same that SJ used when he concluded that USN-Retired is a misogynist. To be honest with you, I actually didn't notice it until SJ pointed that out - and likely, the reason I didn't really notice it much is because SJ is probably more conscious of the unearned privileges that he enjoys as a male, moreso than I am.

Looking at his posts, he does have very strong negative feelings towards women and poor people. Hell, he's a negative person in general. But especially towards those two groups.

He brought up my mentioning of my ex-wife cajoling me into reenlisting on active duty, in order to invalidate what I said about his divorce likely being a result of him mistreating his ex-wife.

Nice try. When I talk about that particular situation, it's in the context of reenlisting and why some people choose to stay or go. It's not in the context of bashing her, or women in general. I'm not bitter towards her about it (I reenlisted twice after I separated from her - three times if you count me joining the Air Force Reserve). That marriage is over, and has been for nine years - I've moved on with my life, and even when I was still in financial recovery stage during the separation process; I never attributed any negative experiences that I've had with her to the fact that she's a woman. I'm not into the MRM (I do hold many beliefs that result in me being considered a "red piller," but they all have to do with behavioral changes on the part of men that I believe need to be made), or any of that woman-hating bullshit.

So for USN-Retired to bring up my ex-wife cajoling me into reenlisting was a poor attempt at a red herring.

I have no issue with characterizing USN having a very negative attitude towards women and perhaps to go as far as being a misogynist but I find the leap to saying he beat his ex wife (or intimating that he did or was capable of that) is just going too far.

I can't speak at all to the MRM as until mentioned in the MTF recently I have never heard of the group.

USN - Retired
09-28-2014, 06:00 PM
because SJ is probably more conscious of the unearned privileges that he enjoys as a male, moreso than I am.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Lunch-atop-a-skyscraper-c1932.jpg

USN - Retired
09-28-2014, 07:13 PM
So why are you so angry with Rusty's sig line?

Me? Angry? Just because you and RJ are angry doesn't mean that I am angry.

Just to set the record straight on what I believe about USN-Retired:...
However, I will say that if he's divorced, I do believe he has serious personality flaws that led to it.
Otherwise, if he believes what he posts here, then - yes - I believe he hates poor people.

You might also "believe" that I am a Dark Lord of the Sith, but just because you "believe" it doesn't necessarily make it so.

I obviously touched a nerve there. I hope that I haven't gone too far. I am afraid that my posts have made you so angry and flustered that you may now hurt yourself.

Rusty Jones
09-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Me? Angry? Just because you and RJ are angry doesn't mean that I am angry.

You might also "believe" that I am a Dark Lord of the Sith, but just because you "believe" it doesn't necessarily make it so.

I obviously touched a nerve there. I hope that I haven't gone too far. I am afraid that my posts have made you so angry and flustered that you may now hurt yourself.

Yep, angry.

All this coming from someone who always has something negative to say. Someone who never says anything positive or constructive and, frankly, contributes absolutely nothing to MTF - yet everyone here is angry, but you.

Please. I'd like to say that you're not convincing anyone here but yourself, but I doubt you could even do that with the big mismatch between what you're saying here and your overall demeanor that you've always displayed on MTF.

USN - Retired
09-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Yep, angry.

All this coming from someone who always has something negative to say. Someone who never says anything positive or constructive and, frankly, contributes absolutely nothing to MTF - yet everyone here is angry, but you.

Please. I'd like to say that you're not convincing anyone here but yourself, but I doubt you could even do that with the big mismatch between what you're saying here and your overall demeanor that you've always displayed on MTF.

“You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” ~Buddha

See more at: http://quotesnsmiles.com/quotes/calming-buddha-quotes/#sthash.3lWwcMiC.dpuf

OBTW, did you read post #80 on this thread?

Rusty Jones
09-28-2014, 08:14 PM
“You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” ~Buddha

See more at: http://quotesnsmiles.com/quotes/calming-buddha-quotes/#sthash.3lWwcMiC.dpuf

OBTW, did you read post #80 on this thread?

If you want to convince others here that you're not angry, then say something positive for once. Until then, your efforts are wasted.

If you wanna have a pissing contest over who is angry, you go on and have it with yourself. You seem to be the one who is the most concerned - and self-conscious - about that. I'm done.

USN - Retired
09-28-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm done.

Who here on this forum really believes that RJ is "done"?

Measure Man
10-01-2014, 03:40 AM
My thing is that if you're going to do it, do it right, no matter who the President is. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all, since he's not required to do it anyway. If you've got a dog in your arm or a coffee cup in your saluting hand, save it for next time. We'll understand.

Yeah, yeah...we get it...but not exactly "the end of the America we love" and all that.