PDA

View Full Version : Animals in government buildings

USAF-Controller
09-18-2014, 09:19 PM
We have contractors in our building and they are always bringing dogs to work with them and keeping them in their office. Is there an AFI that governs this? Is it even legal?

sandsjames
09-18-2014, 11:59 PM
We have contractors in our building and they are always bringing dogs to work with them and keeping them in their office. Is there an AFI that governs this? Is it even legal?

No AFI, I'm sure...pretty much would come down to Commander's policy and enforcement.

Do the dogs bother people? Are they a health or safety hazard? If not, I'd say it's no big deal.

technomage1
09-19-2014, 09:04 AM
I agree with sandsjames. As long as the dogs aren't bothering anyone and doesn't pose a hazard, then no harm, no foul.

crwchf16
09-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Do squadrons still have mascots? Maybe there is a rule to govern that practice. Bio-environmental or Public Health would be a good place to ask about it.

Stalwart
09-19-2014, 11:17 AM
I am not aware of any DoD policy or instruction, it probably is a commander's discretion thing -- or it may be something the commander is wholly unaware of. If your have a problem with it due to allergies, fear of getting bit, hygiene etc. you should bring it up regardless of the existence of an instruction -- it is your workplace too. If it is that you don't like it/think it unprofessional I would say you should check with your facility manager who can probably get you the (if any) instruction or local policy right away.

When I worked on Capitol Hill, bringing in dogs to the office was REALLY common, as long as the boss was okay with it. One of the big, blustery members from the mid-west was kind of funny, he had this little toy poodle ... didn't really match his personality but he loved the hell out of that dog.

Drackore
09-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Anything that raises morale needs to be eliminated immediately.

Niirs
09-23-2014, 01:49 AM
Anything that raises morale needs to be eliminated immediately.

Sure, lets just let everyone do whatever they want to raise morale - what could go wrong? Pets shouldn't be in a professional work center, it's not about morale.

Mikan
09-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Interesting question...

Be knowledgable about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prior to discussing your concerns with a contractor. Most dog owners are fully aware of the law and are not afraid to use it. Furthermore, ensure you consult with the Contracting Officer prior to directing a contractor to do ANYTHING outside of the scope of their PWS/SOW. A contractor can (and would be entitled to) invoice the Government for anything you direct them outside of the PWS/SOW... No matter how trivial or innocent you may think it is.

sandsjames
09-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Sure, lets just let everyone do whatever they want to raise morale - what could go wrong? Pets shouldn't be in a professional work center, it's not about morale.Better than letting people do whatever they want to kill morale.

Measure Man
09-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Interesting question...

Be knowledgable about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prior to discussing your concerns with a contractor.

Good point....they could be service dogs. The idea of service dogs has broadened out way beyond the seeing eye dog. People now have them for everything from epilepsy to anxiety. There are also some rules regarding what you can ask about with respect to the dog...i.e. you can not ask what medical condition the person has, but I think you can ask simply if it is a service dog.

Of course, like any good thing, people abuse it and get service dog certification from some internet company...lol. So, it's a minefield these days.

OtisRNeedleman
09-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Good point....they could be service dogs. The idea of service dogs has broadened out way beyond the seeing eye dog. People now have them for everything from epilepsy to anxiety. There are also some rules regarding what you can ask about with respect to the dog...i.e. you can not ask what medical condition the person has, but I think you can ask simply if it is a service dog.

Of course, like any good thing, people abuse it and get service dog certification from some internet company...lol. So, it's a minefield these days.

Yup. And from what I see, some people need "thinking brain" dogs.

Niirs
09-23-2014, 11:00 PM
Better than letting people do whatever they want to kill morale.

Touché... well played.

Stalwart
09-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Yup. And from what I see, some people need "thinking brain" dogs.

It would probably be a Jack Russell, those things are creepy intelligent.

KnuckleDragger
09-24-2014, 10:08 PM

Mine must have been absent that day, lol.

Stalwart
09-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Mine must have been absent that day, lol.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qci8aYcFAnc/TthaznivmcI/AAAAAAAABlM/j4veCWON_Bs/s640/funny-dog-pictures-dog-is-flying.jpg

OtisRNeedleman
09-25-2014, 12:58 AM

Probably more intelligent than most of the government employees I worked with during my brief stint as a contractor.