PDA

View Full Version : Destroyer Williams' commanding officer, CMC and former XO reassigned

BURAWSKI
09-17-2014, 03:07 PM
http://www.navytimes.com/article/20140916/NEWS/309160076/

The above article was in the Navy Times today. I think the atmosphere lends itself to the zero-defect mentality. With regard to the command climate problem, it would seem that anyone complaining about anything today can put their command leadership under the spotlight, despite whether accusations are fully vetted/investigated. It seems the investigation isn't complete and already 3 senior leaders have found their careers either derailed or totally curtailed. What has changed to create such an atmosphere? Can it be fixed? Will any officers be motivated to ever seek surface warfare command at sea qualification in this day and age? I doubt it. Regardless, and no matter what anyone says, something is seriously wrong with the Navy today.

http://cmsimg.navytimes.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=M6&Date=20140916&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=309160076&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Destroyer-Williams-commanding-officer-CMC-former-XO-reassigned-amid-investigation
Cmdr. Curtis Calloway, left, CMC Travis Biswell and Cmdr. Ed Handley, former XO, (not pictured) of the guided-missile destroyer USS James E. Williams (DDG 95) have been reassigned amid an investigation, the Navy announced. (Navy)

Stalwart
09-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Being under the spotlight ( a place I have been twice) is different than getting relieved. I have a few times seen the preliminary investigating officer's report (before he JAGMAN) trigger a relief for cause. I have also seen a really poor command climate that was reported & validated but was judged not serious enough to trigger a relief, so it does cut both ways.

As far as striving for command at sea, many still are pushing for it; four former shipmates screened this summer ... Great people all around.

Overall, the process does well (about 1% of Commanders are relieved -- more than I would care for; but a statistic that is constant for he past 60 years.

MikeKerriii
09-17-2014, 04:05 PM
http://www.navytimes.com/article/20140916/NEWS/309160076/

The above article was in the Navy Times today. I think the atmosphere lends itself to the zero-defect mentality. With regard to the command climate problem, it would seem that anyone complaining about anything today can put their command leadership under the spotlight, despite whether accusations are fully vetted/investigated. It seems the investigation isn't complete and already 3 senior leaders have found their careers either derailed or totally curtailed. What has changed to create such an atmosphere? Can it be fixed? Will any officers be motivated to ever seek surface warfare command at sea qualification in this day and age? I doubt it. Regardless, and no matter what anyone says, something is seriously wrong with the Navy today.

http://cmsimg.navytimes.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=M6&Date=20140916&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=309160076&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Destroyer-Williams-commanding-officer-CMC-former-XO-reassigned-amid-investigation
Cmdr. Curtis Calloway, left, CMC Travis Biswell and Cmdr. Ed Handley, former XO, (not pictured) of the guided-missile destroyer USS James E. Williams (DDG 95) have been reassigned amid an investigation, the Navy announced. (Navy)

Commanders should always be under the spotlight, they have too much power to operate in shadow

BURAWSKI
09-19-2014, 12:32 AM
Saw this article today:

http://www.militarycorruption.com/curtiscalloway.htm

I didn't realize that the CMC had reached that position in as little as 12 years. Seems that could be a problem when promotions are made at the expense of experience. Book smart is one thing. Experience is another.

Gonzo432
09-19-2014, 02:58 AM
Guilty until proven innocent. By then it doesn't matter, you were guilty at one point and that's what everyone remembers. This is concerning, a culture that creates back-stabbing sheep.

Stalwart
09-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Saw this article today:

http://www.militarycorruption.com/curtiscalloway.htm

I didn't realize that the CMC had reached that position in as little as 12 years. Seems that could be a problem when promotions are made at the expense of experience. Book smart is one thing. Experience is another.

I have some preliminary information (i.e. rumor) about this, it isn't really pretty.

A MCPO / CMC in 12 years is really fast; I have seen a 7 year CPO who was a 11 year SCPO and a 15 year MCPO; I like to think that in the vast majority of cases the system gets 'it' right; I don't know this CMC so I don't really know or have an opinion on him; but again, based on what I have through the SWOrmor-mill this was a command that was suffering some very poor leadership.

Military Corruption, very interesting.

Rusty Jones
09-19-2014, 12:15 PM
I have some preliminary information (i.e. rumor) about this, it isn't really pretty.

A MCPO / CMC in 12 years is really fast; I have seen a 7 year CPO who was a 11 year SCPO and a 15 year MCPO; I like to think that in the cast majority of cases the system gets 'it' right; I don't know this CMC so I don't really know or have an opinion on him; but again, based on what I have through the SWOrmor-mill this was a command that was suffering some very poor leadership.

Military Corruption, very interesting.

On one DDG I had served on, we had a Warrant Officer onboard - one who was a prior Master Chief, and he made Master Chief in 12 years. And he really knew his shit, inside and out.

Obviously if someone makes CMDCM that fast, they had what the board was looking for... but I really do believe that there needs to be a much stronger push for fast trackers like the ones you're talking about to look into the LDO/CWO program. People have it in their minds that the CPO Mess is the place to be, so I think that the LDO/CWO program is extremely downplayed.

Stalwart
09-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Agree that there is if there is a truly 'hot runner'; we should not hold them back because the 'average' guy moves a little slower. I have sort of experienced this, I was a below zone selectee to LCDR and passed people about 20 months ahead of me in career progression.

As far as the CPO route vice the LDO/CWO route, I have talked to many Sailors about this (I will caveat this with "I a not an LDO") and my advice usually hinges around the question of "what do you want to be doing in 10-years?" question. There is going to come a point as an officer (even as a CWO) that your interaction with individuals Sailors is going to decrease ... this is my least favorite part of my most recent promotion. Base pay be damned, if you aren't doing what you want to be doing then what is the point?

For some people, the CPO Mess is the right place for their talents and desires, for others it is the Wardroom; there is nothing wrong with that or with either organization. The best commands I have seen are those where the Mess and Wardroom work complimentary to each other and there is not an adversarial relationship. I was a GySgt and never saw the animosity between SNCO's and Officers that I have seen in the Navy between some Messes and Wardrooms.

My second Chief had a really confrontational attitude with the previous DIVO and started that way with me. I told him "we can keep circling each other like dogs sniffing asses and measuring dicks, or work on getting things done." We came to have a decent working relationship but less than ideal, I have also had some really incredible Chiefs who have mentored up and down the chain of command.

BURAWSKI
10-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Navy Times article has a follow up to this issue:

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20141010/NEWS/310100055/Destroyer-leaders-disciplined-duty-dereliction

Seems unprecedented that now instead of just the CO being fired, the entire leadership triad gets it as well. I haven't seen this before. The number of firings from various commands reflects on the Navy's low morale.

Stalwart
10-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Navy Times article has a follow up to this issue:

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20141010/NEWS/310100055/Destroyer-leaders-disciplined-duty-dereliction

Seems unprecedented that now instead of just the CO being fired, the entire leadership triad gets it as well. I haven't seen this before. The number of firings from various commands reflects on the Navy's low morale.

It is not at all unprecedented, (without using Google: COWPENS this year, CO & XO of JACKSONVILLE in 2013 and STOUT in 2011 was the CO, XO & CMC.) It is not as common as a solo relief but I have seen it a few times (maybe 10 or so) in 12 years.

In the Marine Corps, when a Marine is promoted to 1stSgt there is a new item tracked in their record: "Relief of Commanders" that actually tracks if the 1stSgt's or SgtMaj's CO get relieved for cause. The general feeling is that most of the time if the CO was doing something egregious (not personal misconduct--DUI etc.) the senior enlisted should have known and done something about it.

BURAWSKI
10-10-2014, 10:32 PM
It is not at all unprecedented, (without using Google: COWPENS this year, CO & XO of JACKSONVILLE in 2013 and STOUT in 2011 was the CO, XO & CMC.) It is not as common as a solo relief but I have seen it a few times (maybe 10 or so) in 12 years.

In the Marine Corps, when a Marine is promoted to 1stSgt there is a new item tracked in their record: "Relief of Commanders" that actually tracks if the 1stSgt's or SgtMaj's CO get relieved for cause. The general feeling is that most of the time if the CO was doing something egregious (not personal misconduct--DUI etc.) the senior enlisted should have known and done something about it.

I don't think it was as common during the 1970' and 1980's. At least I don't remember hearing about it. The only thing that came close to what I am seeing now is the infamous Tailhook Scandal in 1991. It is just my feeling that there are way too many happening and something is very, very wrong.

Stalwart
10-10-2014, 10:51 PM
I don't think it was as common during the 1970' and 1980's. At least I don't remember hearing about it. The only thing that came close to what I am seeing now is the infamous Tailhook Scandal in 1991. It is just my feeling that there are way too many happening and something is very, very wrong.

I would agree, any reliefs for cause are too many. They will always happen, but I have a petty high expectation of CO's, XO's & CMC's etc. I don't expect them to be flawless but some of the things are mind boggling.

I worked on a research project for the boss when in DC and statistically the numbers are fairly consistent 91 & 92 had an uptick in the aviation community -- Tailbook) going back to the 50's; the fact that hey are more widely (ie publicly) reported, and the ability of Tyne whole world to know about it is what is different.