PDA

View Full Version : Headline worthy?

sandsjames
09-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Why is the Oscar Pistorius case in the headlines at all?

1. He's from South Africa and has no impact on anything inside our country.

2. Would he get the same press if he wasn't disabled?

3. Is it patronizing to other disabled people to focus on a story that involves a "common crime" just because a disabled person is involved?

Measure Man
09-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Why is the Oscar Pistorius case in the headlines at all?

...because he is a celebrity

1. He's from South Africa and has no impact on anything inside our country.

2. Would he get the same press if he wasn't disabled?

Well, if he weren't disabled he would've just been one of a few thousand Olympians. But if he were the same celebrity, but not disabled, then yes it would still be in the press.

3. Is it patronizing to other disabled people to focus on a story that involves a "common crime" just because a disabled person is involved?

It's not a story "because a disabled person is involved." It's a story because a celebrity is involved. He is not just another disabled person, even though his disability is what made him a celebrity. His being a disabled Olympian is what made him a celebrity...

For right or wrong, people feel like we know celebrities...or know of them, etc. It's just like if someone you know what being tried for a serious crime...chances are you would talk about that with other people that know him, but probably wouldn't if you didn't know the person.

sandsjames
09-12-2014, 03:58 PM
...because he is a celebrity

Well, if he weren't disabled he would've just been one of a few thousand Olympians. But if he were the same celebrity, but not disabled, then yes it would still be in the press.

It's not a story "because a disabled person is involved." It's a story because a celebrity is involved. He is not just another disabled person, even though his disability is what made him a celebrity. His being a disabled Olympian is what made him a celebrity...

For right or wrong, people feel like we know celebrities...or know of them, etc. It's just like if someone you know what being tried for a serious crime...chances are you would talk about that with other people that know him, but probably wouldn't if you didn't know the person.

Gotcha...so...if he wasn't disabled, it wouldn't be a story.

Measure Man
09-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Gotcha...so...if he wasn't disabled, it wouldn't be a story.

I guess. If OJ wasn't a great football player, his trial wouldn't have been news either.

Was that patronizing to other football players?

sandsjames
09-12-2014, 04:20 PM
I guess. If OJ wasn't a great football player, his trial wouldn't have been news either.

Was that patronizing to other football players?

That's my point...OJ was a great football player with celebrity status within the U.S.

Pistorius is not a great athlete. He didn't even medal. Had he won a gold medal then it might be different. He is famous merely for being handicapped and showing up. I can see the hype during the olympics, because it was new. But for any focus to remain on him afterwards seems crazy to me.

I'm trying to figure out whether viewership causes ratings or whether ratings causes viewership.

We had 2 F-18s crash in the Pacific today. I can't find a single blurp about it on the CNN homepage. The big headline? "GUILTY".

Measure Man
09-12-2014, 04:29 PM
That's my point...OJ was a great football player with celebrity status within the U.S.

Pistorius also has celebrity status...just for a different reason.

Pistorius is not a great athlete. He didn't even medal. Had he won a gold medal then it might be different. He is famous merely for being handicapped and showing up.

Well, he did qualify for the Olympics...pretty big accomplishment for a guy with no legs.

I can see the hype during the olympics, because it was new. But for any focus to remain on him afterwards seems crazy to me.

Well, I think coverage of him after the Olympics did drop down...until he was accused of murder. Now you've got a celebrity with a dramatic trial...pretty compelling story.

I'm trying to figure out whether viewership causes ratings or whether ratings causes viewership.

I do wonder this a lot also. Though I think that there is enough competition on the news programs that if something else was going to work better/draw more ratings, then they'd be doing that. I think people are interested in celebrity stories...

Same with music. Are the "hits" hits because people like them...or because it's what the record companies choose to play over and over. Of the albums I've had over the years, I always find some songs on there that are like..."What? why wasn't this a single, this song is great!"

We had 2 F-18s crash in the Pacific today. I can't find a single blurp about it on the CNN homepage. The big headline? "GUILTY".

Yeah.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/12/us/navy-jet-pacific-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

TJMAC77SP
09-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Pistorius also has celebrity status...just for a different reason.

Well, he did qualify for the Olympics...pretty big accomplishment for a guy with no legs.

Well, I think coverage of him after the Olympics did drop down...until he was accused of murder. Now you've got a celebrity with a dramatic trial...pretty compelling story.

I do wonder this a lot also. Though I think that there is enough competition on the news programs that if something else was going to work better/draw more ratings, then they'd be doing that. I think people are interested in celebrity stories...

Same with music. Are the "hits" hits because people like them...or because it's what the record companies choose to play over and over. Of the albums I've had over the years, I always find some songs on there that are like..."What? why wasn't this a single, this song is great!"

Yeah.

I wonder about the chicken and egg thing with news coverage as well. During the Ferguson trouble all the outlets had discussions on whether their coverage was effecting the events yet none of them changed a single thing.

In fairness to SJ that headline and story about the F-18's was less than 15 minutes old when he posted that comment. If he had last checked CNN at 1100 it wouldn't have been there.

sandsjames
09-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Yeah.

It's there now...but still...look at the headline...big letters...then a little link on the side about the jets. I guess it's just our culture now.

I remember when we first got to England and almost all of their big newspapers were nothing more than celebrity gossip, tabloid crap. I was so thankful that our news wasn't like that. Sure, we had tabloids, but they weren't the main news. How fast things change.

USAF-Controller
09-12-2014, 05:42 PM
What we should be asking is if it's not headline worthy then why is it thread worthy?

Measure Man
09-12-2014, 05:58 PM
I think figuring out what people are interested in and what will make them tune-in, click-on or otherwise engage in a story is a valuable skill that people will pay you a lot of money for, if you do it well.

There are many thousands of people who spend their days trying to come with something that will "go viral"...some succeed, some don't...some do it without even trying.

Sitting up casting judgements on what people SHOULD be interested in instead...doesn't pay nearly as well.

sandsjames
09-12-2014, 06:04 PM
I think figuring out what people are interested in and what will make them tune-in, click-on or otherwise engage in a story is a valuable skill that people will pay you a lot of money for, if you do it well.

There are many thousands of people who spend their days trying to come with something that will "go viral"...some succeed, some don't...some do it without even trying.

Sitting up casting judgements on what people SHOULD be interested in instead...doesn't pay nearly as well.

Of course it doesn't pay as well...it's just a shame that that's what it's all about. I'm not saying I don't watch and read some dumb shit too...just saying that when the most educational news programs are shows like "The Daily Show", "Colbert Report", and "Last Week Tonight" that we are in pretty big trouble.

sandsjames
09-12-2014, 06:06 PM
What we should be asking is if it's not headline worthy then why is it thread worthy?

I guess if you want to compare a thread meant to discuss how poor news reporting is killing the education of a country and promoting celebrities as the people we aspire to a news site having a handicapped celebrity murderer as it's main headline then your are missing the point.

garhkal
09-12-2014, 08:55 PM

Well look at some of the thread's i have started in the past 2-3 months. Many of those stories i wouldn't have considered news worthy but CNN/FOX did, Or it was the opposite, they were imo very news worthy but the mainstream media didn't.

IMO its all in what "sells" Scandals, celebraties, racial riots all sell. Black on other violence, and the like doesn't seem to sell as much..