PDA

View Full Version : New EPR Close out dates

Shaken1976
08-27-2014, 02:57 PM
I just have to say...this new close out for TSgts sucks. My EPR just closed out. Now they want bullets for a new EPR by 1 Sept. I have a few things and I sent them in. I got an e-mail back asking for more. Ummm... It has been one month since my EPR closed. I don't quite have more just yet. Seems this system is broke before it begins.

Now excuse me as I must go volunteer and do a few things.

sandsjames
08-27-2014, 03:03 PM
I just have to say...this new close out for TSgts sucks. My EPR just closed out. Now they want bullets for a new EPR by 1 Sept. I have a few things and I sent them in. I got an e-mail back asking for more. Ummm... It has been one month since my EPR closed. I don't quite have more just yet. Seems this system is broke before it begins.

Now excuse me as I must go volunteer and do a few things.If your EPR closed out after June 30th, then you shouldn't have been required to have an EPR. That's what happened here. Everyone with a 1 July or later date was put off until November. Maybe your leadership didn't get the word when this took place. That means that anyone before June 30 has 4 months, which was the minimum amount of time before for CROs anyway, so really there is no difference.

Does it suck? Yep. Especially since your EPR will be cometing directly with those who have a full years worth of stuff.

im4floridagtrz
08-27-2014, 03:12 PM
If your EPR closed out after June 30th, then you shouldn't have been required to have an EPR. That's what happened here. Everyone with a 1 July or later date was put off until November. Maybe your leadership didn't get the word when this took place. That means that anyone before June 30 has 4 months, which was the minimum amount of time before for CROs anyway, so really there is no difference.

Does it suck? Yep. Especially since your EPR will be cometing directly with those who have a full years worth of stuff.

FYI, the cutoff is 15 Aug not 30 Jun.

sandsjames
08-27-2014, 03:18 PM
FYI, the cutoff is 15 Aug not 30 Jun.

Gotcha...I'm retired so don't pay much attention to the specifics.

Measure Man
08-27-2014, 03:54 PM

This is a one-time deal for transition....so the "system" isn't broken. All future EPRs will have an entire year...so, no more 4-month EPRs during PCS of you or your boss, etc.

As mentioned if your EPR is within a certain time period then you don't need one...assuming yours isn't or they wouldn't be asking, yeah? All you can do is the best you can...I figure your squadron knows you well enough that they will rank you appropriately regardless of the "word picture"...have some confidence that your leadership will manage this transition time appropriately. As a leader, I knew who my best folks were regardless of who looked better on paper.

If I recall some of your issues correctly...being in the top 10 or 15% is not really in play anyway. I could be wrong there.

Sgt HULK
08-27-2014, 06:02 PM

You're still in?

LogDog
08-27-2014, 06:16 PM
With the new cutoff dates and many people who will receive two EPRS in a relatively short time, I hope when the SNCO boards meet and they see these close-dated EPRS, they will be clued-in not to put too much or too less weight on the close-dated EPR. Hopefully, when the CMSgts and Col's sitting on the Promotion Boards they will have guidence on this issue.

technomage1
08-28-2014, 11:49 AM
With the new cutoff dates and many people who will receive two EPRS in a relatively short time, I hope when the SNCO boards meet and they see these close-dated EPRS, they will be clued-in not to put too much or too less weight on the close-dated EPR. Hopefully, when the CMSgts and Col's sitting on the Promotion Boards they will have guidence on this issue.

This. It's not the member's fault this happened, the system is dictating it. Of course an EPR with 6 months is not going to be as strong as an EPR with 12.

Measure Man
08-28-2014, 01:59 PM
This. It's not the member's fault this happened, the system is dictating it. Of course an EPR with 6 months is not going to be as strong as an EPR with 12.

Seems silly to say this is a problem with the new system. under the old system 120 day EPRs happened ALL the time...PCS, rather PCS, other CRO, etc... under the new system this is a one-time transition thing.

sandsjames
08-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Seems silly to say this is a problem with the new system. under the old system 120 day EPRs happened ALL the time...PCS, rather PCS, other CRO, etc... under the new system this is a one-time transition thing.I never saw a lot of the 120 day EPRs. Not because they weren't warranted, but because the head shed would always figure out a way to change dates or CRO someone 3 times in a 2 month period in order to avoid getting the EPR shell.

technomage1
08-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Seems silly to say this is a problem with the new system. under the old system 120 day EPRs happened ALL the time...PCS, rather PCS, other CRO, etc... under the new system this is a one-time transition thing.

I never saw too many. We always did backflips to ensure this didn't happen.

CJSmith
08-28-2014, 11:20 PM
Any ideas how promotions will be handled? For instance, I've got a SrA that we are anticipating will put SSgt on in Jan. the SCOD for SrA is 31 Mar, but if he sews on 1 Jan will he have a new SCOD of 31 Jan with all the other SSgts? I know nothing official has been released, just curious what folks think might happen. And yes, I'll be prepared to have it closed out in Jan just in case.

Niirs
08-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Any ideas how promotions will be handled? For instance, I've got a SrA that we are anticipating will put SSgt on in Jan. the SCOD for SrA is 31 Mar, but if he sews on 1 Jan will he have a new SCOD of 31 Jan with all the other SSgts? I know nothing official has been released, just curious what folks think might happen. And yes, I'll be prepared to have it closed out in Jan just in case.

According to the SCOD implementation plan, all E5s will close out 31 jan; your SrA will put on SSgt 1 Jan and his EPR will close out 31 Jan. For individuals who have evals that close out right before the cut off date before they slide to the SCOD - they should be trying to CRO to close out their evals a few months earlier than their normal close out date. That would prevent them from having that 3 or 4 month EPR at the SCOD. Next year everything will even out and everyone will simply close out at the members PCOD. This part won't be the big issue, the problems will all occure from forced quotas on ratings.

technomage1
08-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Another issue with the standard dates and the racking and stacking is PCSing...in my case, my DEROS is August and my EPR will be due in Sept. So who will accomplish and sign the EPR? The unit that had me for 11 months or the unit that had me for 1? I'm going to assume the new one...how can I be fairly compared in the new unit when I've just signed in? The CC probably won't even know my name at that point. I assume an LOE or draft EPR will follow me from my old unit, but am I truly going to get a fair shake at my new one when being compared to established people? And I'm guessing I have no shot at endorsement higher than my squadron.

I'm not saying the old system was perfect, but I think the new one has plenty of problems too.

Capt Alfredo
08-29-2014, 11:00 AM
Another issue with the standard dates and the racking and stacking is PCSing...in my case, my DEROS is August and my EPR will be due in Sept. So who will accomplish and sign the EPR? The unit that had me for 11 months or the unit that had me for 1? I'm going to assume the new one...how can I be fairly compared in the new unit when I've just signed in? The CC probably won't even know my name at that point. I assume an LOE or draft EPR will follow me from my old unit, but am I truly going to get a fair shake at my new one when being compared to established people? And I'm guessing I have no shot at endorsement higher than my squadron.

I'm not saying the old system was perfect, but I think the new one has plenty of problems too.

There will probably be an accounting date well in advance. This is how they do PRFs for Officer Promotions.

Shaken1976
08-29-2014, 09:39 PM
We don't have many TSgts in our squadron. One is out soon as in next month. One know one ever sees because he is always gone to appointments or whatever. One just PCS'd into the squadron. Then there is me.. Not sure how I can rack and stack against the rest of the TSgts.

Shaken1976
08-29-2014, 09:41 PM
You're still in?

Yup. I have another year and a half until retirement.

Measure Man
08-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Another issue with the standard dates and the racking and stacking is PCSing...in my case, my DEROS is August and my EPR will be due in Sept. So who will accomplish and sign the EPR? The unit that had me for 11 months or the unit that had me for 1? I'm going to assume the new one...how can I be fairly compared in the new unit when I've just signed in? The CC probably won't even know my name at that point. I assume an LOE or draft EPR will follow me from my old unit, but am I truly going to get a fair shake at my new one when being compared to established people?

Yes, you will get an LOE from your previous base and your new base will do the EPR.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get a fair shake...once you sign in, you are theirs also.

As I mentioned in another thread...and this was a problem with SREs before, people need to put it in their heads that being #1 in 2014 and going to #2 is 2015 should not be looked at as "moving downward"...maybe, as you say, someone else just PCS'ed in from the war zone with a chestful of medals. Look at the person as good as any other #2.

And I'm guessing I have no shot at endorsement higher than my squadron.

Again, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to compete faily. I'm sure they'll review your total record and if deserving, I'm sure your supervisor will put you forward "this guy is new, but has a great record..."

BENDER56
08-30-2014, 08:46 PM
I never saw too many. We always did backflips to ensure this didn't happen.

That's how I remember it, too. CRO dates were fudged to ensure there wasn't enough supervisory time under any one rater to require a report before the annual was due.

BENDER56
08-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Yup. I have another year and a half until retirement.

Awesome. I thought you said in another thread that you had gotten medically boarded.

Also, best wishes on your upcoming nuptials.

technomage1
08-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Yes, you will get an LOE from your previous base and your new base will do the EPR.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get a fair shake...once you sign in, you are theirs also.

As I mentioned in another thread...and this was a problem with SREs before, people need to put it in their heads that being #1 in 2014 and going to #2 is 2015 should not be looked at as "moving downward"...maybe, as you say, someone else just PCS'ed in from the war zone with a chestful of medals. Look at the person as good as any other #2.

Again, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to compete faily. I'm sure they'll review your total record and if deserving, I'm sure your supervisor will put you forward "this guy is new, but has a great record..."

Guess we've had different experiences over the years. I'm suprised - pleasantly so - when I'm given a fair and objective shake, because I don't see it happening too often.

giggawatt
09-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Well this is gonna be interesting. My EPR closed out May 1st. I was TDY to the school house the whole month of June and on leave virtually the whole month of August. They'll be asking for a draft any day now. Guess I got some work to do.

Can I work fishing into a bullet somewhere?

- Supreme fisherman! Fished 3 days straight; garnered 10 SMB/5 LMB--finished with 21"/ 5lb LMB!

SMB- small mouth bass
LMB- large mouth bass

Shaken1976
09-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Well this is gonna be interesting. My EPR closed out May 1st. I was TDY to the school house the whole month of June and on leave virtually the whole month of August. They'll be asking for a draft any day now. Guess I got some work to do.

Can I work fishing into a bullet somewhere?

- Supreme fisherman! Fished 3 days straight; garnered 10 SMB/5 LMB--finished with 21"/ 5lb LMB!

SMB- small mouth bass
LMB- large mouth bass

I like it. However.... Did you teach a man to fish? Did you donate the fish to some homeless guy who was hungry? Did you also pick up some garbage along the shoreline?

I wonder if I can use.. Led 8 people in planning a wedding; fed 142 people 300+ tacos, didn't marry a loser.

11 days and counting.

And on the EPR front....just started a new job. Fun stuff. My EPR is gonna be a mess.

sandsjames
09-09-2014, 04:22 PM
I was TDY to the school house the whole month of June and on leave virtually the whole month of August.

You were here? Did we run into each other????

giggawatt
09-09-2014, 04:27 PM
I like it. However.... Did you teach a man to fish? Did you donate the fish to some homeless guy who was hungry? Did you also pick up some garbage along the shoreline?

I wonder if I can use.. Led 8 people in planning a wedding; fed 142 people 300+ tacos, didn't marry a loser.

11 days and counting.

And on the EPR front....just started a new job. Fun stuff. My EPR is gonna be a mess.

To answer your questions...

I taught my brother some tips and bought him a lure that garnered some bass. I also did not leave my beer bottles on the shore.

As for your bullet, good impact just need better action verbage.

giggawatt
09-09-2014, 04:28 PM
You were here? Did we run into each other????

Yes we did actually. The day I left.

sandsjames
09-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Yes we did actually. The day I left.

Hmmmm...interesting.

giggawatt
09-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Hmmmm...interesting.

I think you were sitting in the office chatting with Mr. Whitley. I came in to drop off a book or something.

sandsjames
09-09-2014, 08:50 PM
I think you were sitting in the office chatting with Mr. Whitley. I came in to drop off a book or something.

That sounds like it...that pretty much what happens when I'm not on the schedule to teach.

And you knew it was me, huh? Maybe I just made up the part about being at the schoolhouse to throw people like you off my trail!!!

Oh...wait a second...you came in the office to drop off the study guide that you had forgotten in your room...right? Now I remember.

giggawatt
09-10-2014, 10:58 AM
That sounds like it...that pretty much what happens when I'm not on the schedule to teach.

And you knew it was me, huh? Maybe I just made up the part about being at the schoolhouse to throw people like you off my trail!!!

Oh...wait a second...you came in the office to drop off the study guide that you had forgotten in your room...right? Now I remember.

That's it. We talked briefly about our different tours in England and being stationed with a very high TIG SSgt that is now a TSgt/civilian select.

coloringoutsidethelines
09-29-2014, 06:02 PM
I wish they would release the guidance on folks with line numbers/msgt close out dates. I'm hoping I don't get hit with a 2 month epr.

Niirs
09-30-2014, 05:29 AM
I wish they would release the guidance on folks with line numbers/msgt close out dates. I'm hoping I don't get hit with a 2 month epr.

I think the guidance is pretty clear; if you are a TSgt on 30 Nov you will have an EPR close-out. If you are a MSgt on 30 Sept you will have an EPR close-out. The system is built so there is no reason you would have less than a 120 day EPR?

Airborne
09-30-2014, 02:33 PM
I think the guidance is pretty clear; if you are a TSgt on 30 Nov you will have an EPR close-out. If you are a MSgt on 30 Sept you will have an EPR close-out. The system is built so there is no reason you would have less than a 120 day EPR?

And it's a one time situation. Even though it's the military, you would think that the system would be understanding of people with doubled up EPRs etc.