PDA

View Full Version : Idiocy is everywhere

TJMAC77SP
08-21-2014, 04:39 PM
SomeoneI know on FB (stationed with previously a lifetime ago) posted a link to aHuffpost article on Sarah Palin's comments about Tina Fey's portrayal of her(and SNL's treatment of her in general) during the 2008 election. Here iswhat she said....

In a new edition of the book Live From New York by Tom Shales and JamesMiller, Palin says Fey might owe her one.

"You need to at least pay for my kids' braces or something from all the money that you made off of pretending that you're me! My goodness, you capitalized onthat," Palin said she would tell the "30 Rock" actress if sheencountered her today, according to a book excerpt published in the HollywoodReporter. "Can't you contribute a little bit? Jeez!"

Now, keep in mind that the headline for that story in the HuffPost was"Sarah Palin Calls Out Tina Fey Again"

Putting aside the obvious bias of the HuffPost what I read was an attempt athumor by Palin. Saying this doesn't mean I support the woman. It just isn't as salacious a comment as the HuffPost tried to paint it. Perhaps there are parts of her new book that are but if so I am pretty certain they would have published those.

In any case this acquaintance posted a link to the article and said somethingto the effect that Tina Fey should give the "Johnny Football one finger salute to Palin".

I posted a comment explaining that I don’t know why Fey would be angry aboutanything Palin said and that it was an obvious attempt at humor (I will not argue how effective the attempt was as I don’t hold a very high opinion of Palin).

My acquaintance then posted a comment expressing puzzlement as to why “y’all” continue tosupport her.I responded by explaining that pointing out the truth of the situation is hardly ‘supporting’ Palin andasked who he was referring to as “y’all”.His response was “the Tea Party”.When then asked if he thought I was a member of the Tea Party he said that based on my comments that yes he thought I was.

I have seen this on the MTF as well. I most often balk at people’s use of hyperbole and rhetoric when attempting to make or bolster a position. In my opinion that is usually indicative that the position is logically flawed or at the very least the attempt is disingenuous. Sometimes I agree with the position in general but the hyperbole or rhetoric is an attempt to add or further another agenda and/or narrative.

Why we want to jump to a conclusion that some person has to embrace the whole of some end of the political spectrum based on one or a few comments is beyond me.

Now, in truth I have come to some definitive conclusions as to the mindset and biases of this FB acquaintance (and they are ugly) but I have come to that conclusion based on a lot more than one of two comments and will generally keep them to myself.

BENDER56
08-21-2014, 10:15 PM
I don't know, man. If your friend thinks you're in the Tea Party, then it must be true. What reason would he have to lie about it?

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-22-2014, 01:30 AM
If you ARE a member of the Tea Party, then you must be a racist homophobe who wants old people and children to go hungry. I know this because Rachel Maddow said it and the Huffington Post backs her up.

TJMAC77SP
08-22-2014, 02:08 AM
If you ARE a member of the Tea Party, then you must be a racist homophobe who wants old people and children to go hungry. I know this because Rachel Maddow said it and the Huffington Post backs her up.

That must be it.

garhkal
08-22-2014, 07:44 AM

It does seem like the HP and many of the people on MSNBC do think that way. That all tea partiers are racist homophobes against any handouts.