PDA

View Full Version : restaurant stops offering discount for prayers before meals, due to lawsuit

garhkal
08-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Hm. Didn't even hear about this restaurant offering customers a discount for 'praying before eating' till it was mentioned on the show "Outnumbered" at lunchtime cause it has stopped doing it due to a lawsuit against it.
So what's everyone's thoughts on this? Should a restaurant be allowed to offer a discount for praying? Should any discounts for 'specific' groups also be banned, such as military discount, or AARP, or ladies nights at bars (which was one of the things mentioned IN the news clip on outnumbered)?

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/26225207/prayer-discount-ends

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/07/restaurant-changes-prayer-discount-after-lawsuit-north-carolina/13725317/

efmbman
08-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Any commercial business practice based on religion is a quick ticket to lawsuits, protests, boycotts, etc. The fact that businesses still do this speak volumes for the ignorance of the American public to sue and win the judicial lottery.

LogDog
08-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Hm. Didn't even hear about this restaurant offering customers a discount for 'praying before eating' till it was mentioned on the show "Outnumbered" at lunchtime cause it has stopped doing it due to a lawsuit against it.
So what's everyone's thoughts on this? Should a restaurant be allowed to offer a discount for praying? Should any discounts for 'specific' groups also be banned, such as military discount, or AARP, or ladies nights at bars (which was one of the things mentioned IN the news clip on outnumbered)?

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/26225207/prayer-discount-ends

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/07/restaurant-changes-prayer-discount-after-lawsuit-north-carolina/13725317/
I read about this last week and thought any restaurant that encourages praying before eating their food is a place I don't think I'd like to eat. I mean, what's wrong with the food that you have to encourage praying before eating?

USAF-Controller
08-11-2014, 09:43 PM
I am an Athiest and I think the lawsuit is stupid. There are discounts for many groups of people already. Who cares if you offer one for prayer. How someone could find fault with it is beyond me. That's the kind of crap that gives Athiests a bad name.

LogDog
08-11-2014, 09:56 PM
I am an Athiest and I think the lawsuit is stupid. There are discounts for many groups of people already. Who cares if you offer one for prayer. How someone could find fault with it is beyond me. That's the kind of crap that gives Athiests a bad name.
I too, am an Athiest and I don't care if they give a discount for praying. However, if they request or insist I pray before my meal I'll refuse the meal and refuse to pay for it. If I wanted the discount, then I could bow my head and mumble anything I wanted.

It would be interesting to see their reaction if someone from a Devil worshiping cult prayed to the Devil and insisted upon the discount.

Chief_KO
08-11-2014, 09:56 PM

I agree...I don't think the restaurant mandated audible prayers to a particular Deity...nothing stopping anyone from closing their eyes and bowing their head for a half minute and recite their ABCs or think about baseball or just meditate.

garhkal
08-12-2014, 05:52 AM
I too, am an Athiest and I don't care if they give a discount for praying. However, if they request or insist I pray before my meal I'll refuse the meal and refuse to pay for it. If I wanted the discount, then I could bow my head and mumble anything I wanted.

It would be interesting to see their reaction if someone from a Devil worshiping cult prayed to the Devil and insisted upon the discount.

Or prayed to the all mighty Cthulhu.

Capt Alfredo
08-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Or prayed to the all mighty Cthulhu.

Peace be unto him