PDA

View Full Version : Colorado to give drivers licenses to illegals.

garhkal
08-01-2014, 09:41 PM
So Colorado is joining a list of states who allow illegals to get drivers licenses. But since in Co (an other states) when you sign up for your DL< you also get signed up to vote, how will they stop illegals from voting? Also, since SSNs are needed for insurance, how will the CO police etc, ensure illegals who DO get drivers licenses, also get insurance (which is required by law)?
And lastly, will these illegals who get these DL's, be required to take the tests in english, or given it in their own language? What of the practical exams? Or won't they be required??

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/07/04/Democrat-Law-Giving-Colorado-Drivers-Licenses-To-Illegals-Overwhelms-DMV

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/us/colorado-lawmakers-approve-drivers-licenses-for-illegal-immigrants.html?_r=0

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/01/colo-to-offer-driver-licenses-for-illegal-immigrants/

Smeghead
08-01-2014, 11:43 PM
You're such a fucking racist.

/edit, I apologize. Let me give credit where credit's due.

Racist homophobe I should have said.

Measure Man
08-02-2014, 12:15 AM
So Colorado is joining a list of states who allow illegals to get drivers licenses. But since in Co (an other states) when you sign up for your DL< you also get signed up to vote, how will they stop illegals from voting?

You have to be a citizen to vote, don't you? How have they stopped LEGAL immigrants from voting all these years?

Also, since SSNs are needed for insurance, how will the CO police etc, ensure illegals who DO get drivers licenses, also get insurance (which is required by law)?

The same way they do it for everyone else. Some states you must show insurance to register a car, not to get a DL. Are SSNs required to get insurance? Maybe they are getting a DL to drive a work/farm truck that belongs to someone esle who has insurance.

And lastly, will these illegals who get these DL's, be required to take the tests in english, or given it in their own language? What of the practical exams? Or won't they be required??

I don't know for CO...I believe in CA anyone, legal resident or citizen can take the test in Spanish...which I have no problem with. I've had drivers licenses in the Philippines, Panama, Korea and Germany...I don't think I would have passed any of them if I had to take them in the host country language.

The road signs, etc. would be in the language of the host country, because you had to know what they mean when you see them...but the written questions and answers you could do in English. Like, I might know that "Alto" meant stop in Spanish...but to read and answer the question in spanish would have been difficult.

Chris_1991-2011
08-02-2014, 01:57 AM
FYI, it may be beneficial to read articles before posting them and asking questions; sometimes the articles contain the answers.

But since in Co (an other states) when you sign up for your DL< you also get signed up to vote, how will they stop illegals from voting?

From the NY Times article linked above: Under the bill, the licenses will be marked to prevent them from being used for federal identification or to vote.

From the Fox News article linked above: The identification documents will be marked to say they can't be used for voting or to obtain federal benefits.

From the Breitbart article linked above: For now, the licenses "will be marked to note [they] are not valid for voting or as federal identification."

Also, since SSNs are needed for insurance, how will the CO police etc, ensure illegals who DO get drivers licenses, also get insurance (which is required by law)?

The law in question governs the issuance of drivers licenses and (state) ID cards; not auto registration/insurance. As far as I know, insurance is a requirement to register a motor vehicle and isn't needed to get a license. Obviously if they've passed a law allowing the issuance of drivers licenses to illegals, they've also considered insurance and worked out/implemented something. You may be able to find an answer via Google.

And lastly, will these illegals who get these DL's, be required to take the tests in English, or given it in their own language? What of the practical exams? Or won't they be required??

From the Fox News article linked above: The documents must be renewed every three years, and to get licenses, people will have to pass driving tests.

I'm sure more info/answers can be obtained via Google, or maybe even the Colorado DMV http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1177024843078.

Max Power
08-02-2014, 05:29 AM
Needs more GOP USA links for credibility.

garhkal
08-02-2014, 06:44 AM
So i am a racist/homophobe for calling into question the legality of giving drivers licenses to illegals? Strange.

Capt Alfredo
08-02-2014, 06:47 AM
So i am a racist/homophobe for calling into question the legality of giving drivers licenses to illegals? Strange.

Drunk posting? (not you)

TJMAC77SP
08-02-2014, 03:47 PM
You have to be a citizen to vote, don't you? How have they stopped LEGAL immigrants from voting all these years?

The same way they do it for everyone else. Some states you must show insurance to register a car, not to get a DL. Are SSNs required to get insurance? Maybe they are getting a DL to drive a work/farm truck that belongs to someone esle who has insurance.

I don't know for CO...I believe in CA anyone, legal resident or citizen can take the test in Spanish...which I have no problem with. I've had drivers licenses in the Philippines, Panama, Korea and Germany...I don't think I would have passed any of them if I had to take them in the host country language.

The road signs, etc. would be in the language of the host country, because you had to know what they mean when you see them...but the written questions and answers you could do in English. Like, I might know that "Alto" meant stop in Spanish...but to read and answer the question in spanish would have been difficult.

MM you had a DL issued by the government of Germany? In my day we took the sign test and were issued a USAREUR DL.

WILDJOKER5
08-04-2014, 12:16 PM

I thought requiring everyone to have an ID was racist? At least it is if you want them to vote. But just coming here and giving them an DL, nah, thats cool.

Measure Man
08-04-2014, 03:04 PM
MM you had a DL issued by the government of Germany? In my day we took the sign test and were issued a USAREUR DL.

Same for me....what I'm saying is the test was in English

You don't think the German govt. authorized that?

TJMAC77SP
08-06-2014, 03:06 AM
Same for me....what I'm saying is the test was in English

You don't think the German govt. authorized that?

No in truth they agreed (via the SOFA) to allow the US Army in Europe to issue their own DL's based on a sign test of standard European signs in common usage. The German government in turn allows holders of that license to operate vehicles on German roads. Much like they do holder of International Driver Permits, which in the US can be issued by AAA.

Look, your citation of your DL in Germany confused me. Truth is you never took any test which was given or overseen by the German government (so such a test would never be in German). I can't speak to the other countries you cited but I can tell you that no such test is needed in Turkey, Israel, The UK, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, or Saudi Arabia.

Measure Man
08-06-2014, 05:55 AM
No in truth they agreed (via the SOFA) to allow the US Army in Europe to issue their own DL's based on a sign test of standard European signs in common usage. The German government in turn allows holders of that license to operate vehicles on German roads. Much like they do holder of International Driver Permits, which in the US can be issued by AAA.

Look, your citation of your DL in Germany confused me. Truth is you never took any test which was given or overseen by the German government (so such a test would never be in German). I can't speak to the other countries you cited but I can tell you that no such test is needed in Turkey, Israel, The UK, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, or Saudi Arabia.

I don't see how any of this is relevant unless you are trying to make a point that non-English speakers can drive here as long as their DL is issued by someone other than a U.S. govt entity.

My point is one does not need to speak the host country language to drive safely.

garhkal
08-07-2014, 01:41 AM
Maybe not speak it. But imo they should be able to read it!

TJMAC77SP
08-08-2014, 03:19 AM
I don't see how any of this is relevant unless you are trying to make a point that non-English speakers can drive here as long as their DL is issued by someone other than a U.S. govt entity.

My point is one does not need to speak the host country language to drive safely.

I thought your point was that many foreign countries allow people to take their DL test in English and that without that, you wouldn't have been able to drive in those countries cited.

Measure Man
08-08-2014, 06:03 PM
I thought your point was that many foreign countries allow people to take their DL test in English and that without that, you wouldn't have been able to drive in those countries cited.

I don't know about many. But, I've driven in quite a few.

You could say my original point was to reply to the question about tests in English...to point out that, at least in some places, tests are already given in Spanish to legal residents and even US citizens if that's what they prefer...and that I see no problem with this.

I piggy-backed this point by illustrating that I've had drivers licenses in several countries where I did not speak the host country language...I don't see it as relevant as to which authoritiy issued that license...at some level, the host country agreed to it, but it's not important

TJMAC77SP
08-08-2014, 07:49 PM
I don't know about many. But, I've driven in quite a few.

You could say my original point was to reply to the question about tests in English...to point out that, at least in some places, tests are already given in Spanish to legal residents and even US citizens if that's what they prefer...and that I see no problem with this.

I piggy-backed this point by illustrating that I've had drivers licenses in several countries where I did not speak the host country language...I don't see it as relevant as to which authoritiy issued that license...at some level, the host country agreed to it, but it's not important

Ok. It just seemed to me that to make the point relevant (with regard to a government entity offering a test in a language other than the native language) then the comparison should be about foreign governments.

For instance, we have already eliminated Germany. Did you take a test in English, given by the respective government in the Philippines, Panama, or Korea to drive in those countries? Were you issued a DL by that country as any citizen would be (or were your driving privileges covered under the SOFA - such as mine were in Israel)?

Measure Man
08-09-2014, 02:14 AM
Ok. It just seemed to me that to make the point relevant (with regard to a government entity offering a test in a language other than the native language) then the comparison should be about foreign governments.

Your point was something about government entities, not mine. I don't care who gives the test...the govt entity or someone authorized by them...I don't care. I just don't think the test needs to be given in English.

For instance, we have already eliminated Germany.

Eliminated them from what?

Did you take a test in English, given by the respective government in the Philippines,

As I recall, in the Philippines I took a test on base also...it was in English, but was given by a Filipino...not sure who he worked for. But, it worked like a lot of things there...he gave me the answer sheet and the answer key, told me to mark two wrong and I'm done.

Panama, or Korea to drive in those countries?

Panama...I believe if you had a valid U.S. license you could just get issued a Panama license without a test. I don't remember what it took in Korea...U.S. govt issued license I believe.

Were you issued a DL by that country as any citizen would be (or were your driving privileges covered under the SOFA - such as mine were in Israel)?

Again...you are the one caught up on who issued it, not me...I don't care. I do know that to drive in Germany I had to take a test, and that test was in English. Whether or not they allow civilians to test in English, I don't know, I would think so as English is so widely used throughout Europe....but, for us here in the US, I have no problem giving driving license tests in Spanish or whatever language for areas that have a large population of whatever.

TJMAC77SP
08-09-2014, 04:38 AM
Your point was something about government entities, not mine. I don't care who gives the test...the govt entity or someone authorized by them...I don't care. I just don't think the test needs to be given in English. …..

Actually your assertion was that government entities in foreign countries allowed you to obtain DL’s in their country after taking a test in English. Did I misunderstand your words?..............

…I don't know for CO...I believe in CA anyone, legal resident or citizen can take the test in Spanish...which I have no problem with. I've had drivers licenses in the Philippines, Panama, Korea and Germany...I don't think I would have passed any of them if I had to take them in the host country language…..

Eliminated them from what?

From the assertion that you took any test administered by any entity of the German government. Was I not clear on that point?

As I recall, in the Philippines I took a test on base also...it was in English, but was given by a Filipino...not sure who he worked for. But, it worked like a lot of things there...he gave me the answer sheet and the answer key, told me to mark two wrong and I'm done.

So a Filipino, employed by the US government (are you REALLY not sure who he worked for?) administered a test in English on a US base?

Panama...I believe if you had a valid U.S. license you could just get issued a Panama license without a test. I don't remember what it took in Korea...U.S. govt issued license I believe.

So, another example of a US license being valid in a foreign country without taking any test for the Korean government?

Again...you are the one caught up on who issued it, not me...I don't care. I do know that to drive in Germany I had to take a test, and that test was in English. Whether or not they allow civilians to test in English, I don't know, I would think so as English is so widely used throughout Europe....but, for us here in the US, I have no problem giving driving license tests in Spanish or whatever language for areas that have a large population of whatever.

No, I am simply ‘caught up’ in you wording. Perhaps I misunderstood. Your original post seemed to indicate that you took tests, administered in English, under the auspices of a foreign government to obtain a DL issued by that foreign government for the purposes of driving within their country. Perhaps you can point out where in this post I went wrong in my thinking?

…I don't know for CO...I believe in CA anyone, legal resident or citizen can take the test in Spanish...which I have no problem with. I've had drivers licenses in the Philippines, Panama, Korea and Germany...I don't think I would have passed any of them if I had to take them in the host country language…..

Measure Man
08-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Actually your assertion was that government entities in foreign countries allowed you to obtain DL’s in their country after taking a test in English. Did I misunderstand your words?..............

I never said anything about government entities...that's all you. So, yes, you misunderstood my words, I suppose. The quote you posted is pretty clear, I think....if you see something in there about government entities...you are seeing something that, I think, no one else does.

However...a quick google search informed me that civilian english-speakers can, in fact, take the test from the German government in English

Here is one example of a forum post indicated as much:

http://thriftytravelmama.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/getting-my-german-drivers-license-the-test/

From the assertion that you took any test administered by any entity of the German government. Was I not clear on that point?

Again, a point I never asserted. All I said was i took the test in English, and if I had to have taken in it German, I'm sure I would not have passed.

So a Filipino, employed by the US government (are you REALLY not sure who he worked for?) administered a test in English on a US base?

Well, I'm not sure if he was employed by the US government or not, but, yes, that's right, test in English on base.

So, another example of a US license being valid in a foreign country without taking any test for the Korean government?

I don't recall how i got a license to drive in Korea for sure...I'm sure that it was on base or I probably would have remembered it. I'm not sure if i had to take a test or not.

No, I am simply ‘caught up’ in you wording. Perhaps I misunderstood. Your original post seemed to indicate that you took tests, administered in English, under the auspices of a foreign government to obtain a DL issued by that foreign government for the purposes of driving within their country. Perhaps you can point out where in this post I went wrong in my thinking?

No, you are caught up in wording you are imagining because it apparently gives you something to disagree with. I simply said I took the tests in english...and you keep on arguing about government entities something I never said and could not care less about.

TJMAC77SP
08-09-2014, 02:11 PM
I never said anything about government entities...that's all you. So, yes, you misunderstood my words, I suppose. The quote you posted is pretty clear, I think....if you see something in there about government entities...you are seeing something that, I think, no one else does.

However...a quick google search informed me that civilian english-speakers can, in fact, take the test from the German government in English

Here is one example of a forum post indicated as much:

http://thriftytravelmama.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/getting-my-german-drivers-license-the-test/

Again, a point I never asserted. All I said was i took the test in English, and if I had to have taken in it German, I'm sure I would not have passed.

Well, I'm not sure if he was employed by the US government or not, but, yes, that's right, test in English on base.

I don't recall how i got a license to drive in Korea for sure...I'm sure that it was on base or I probably would have remembered it. I'm not sure if i had to take a test or not.

No, you are caught up in wording you are imagining because it apparently gives you something to disagree with. I simply said I took the tests in english...and you keep on arguing about government entities something I never said and could not care less about.

Ok, I get it. Evidently I did misread your post. You obtained your driving privileges in foreign countries via the SOFA in place in each country and not via the foreign government's procedure for everyone else. My mistake in thinking your citations of examples of places that offer their DL tests in English as a counterpoint made in reference to the possibility of CO offering their DL test in another language….

“And lastly, will these illegals who get these DL's, be required to take the tests in english, or given it in their own language? What of the practical exams? Or won't they be required??”

My mistake in assuming that your example would directly relate to the original point made and not cite procedures in place for US military forces stationed overseas.

Measure Man
08-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Ok, I get it. Evidently I did misread your post. You obtained your driving privileges in foreign countries via the SOFA in place in each country and not via the foreign government's procedure for everyone else. My mistake in thinking your citations of examples of places that offer their DL tests in English as a counterpoint made in reference to the possibility of CO offering their DL test in another language….

“And lastly, will these illegals who get these DL's, be required to take the tests in english, or given it in their own language? What of the practical exams? Or won't they be required??”

My mistake in assuming that your example would directly relate to the original point made and not cite procedures in place for US military forces stationed overseas.

My post directly relates to the post I replied to...which also makes no mention of govt. entities, etc or who administers the test and whether or not that is an important issue..

So, you throw in a bunch of irrelevant information about SOFAs and USAFEUR licenses and claim I'm not on topic?

Whatever...

His question was whether or not illegal aliens would have to take the test in English or be allowed to take it in their own language.

Why not allow them to take it in their own language? IMO, it is not a safety issue as long as they understand the road signs. For supporting information, I offer that I have had licenses to drive in 4 different countries...not to mention an International Drivers License valid in many more...one does not need to speak the host country language to drive safely....so why should they be required to in order to take a drivers license test? Assuming, of course, that a sufficient population exists to justify the creation of the test.

TJMAC77SP
08-10-2014, 01:39 AM
My post directly relates to the post I replied to...which also makes no mention of govt. entities, etc.

So, you throw in a bunch of irrelevant information about SOFAs and USAFEUR licenses and claim I'm not on topic?

Whatever...

His question was whether or not illegal aliens would have to take the test in English or be allowed to take it in their own language.

Why not allow them to take it in their own language? IMO, it is not a safety issue as long as they understand the road signs. For supporting information, I offer that I have had licenses to drive in 4 different countries...not to mention an International Drivers License valid in many more...one does not need to speak the host country language to drive safely....so why should they be required to in order to take a drivers license test? Assuming, of course, that a sufficient population exists to justify the creation of the test.

The bolded text in your first post would have gotten the message across without anyone thinking that you had taken DL tests in English in the countries you cited. Of course it could be that I am the only one reading this thread who made that assumption as to what you were saying..................

Measure Man
08-10-2014, 01:41 AM
Of course it could be that I am the only one reading this thread who made that assumption as to what you were saying..................

LOL...I think that's a pretty safe bet.

TJMAC77SP
08-10-2014, 05:20 AM
LOL...I think that's a pretty safe bet.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. I have a higher opinion of the MTF readers..................