PDA

View Full Version : Possible evacuation of Americans infected with Ebola triggers fears in U.S.

efmbman
08-01-2014, 02:24 PM
So there is an operation underway to bring the two Americans infected with Ebola to the US for treatment:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/01/health/ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Thoughts? Is this the humanitarian thing to do? Or is this incredibly irresponsible to risk possible exposure to our population?

Measure Man
08-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Yikes...I sure hope they know what they're doing.

My instinct says they shouldn't be transported internationally.

efmbman
08-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Yikes...I sure hope they know what they're doing.

My instinct says they shouldn't be transported internationally.

Well, the folks that are infected supposedly knew what they were doing, too.

Measure Man
08-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Well, the folks that are infected supposedly knew what they were doing, too.

Solid point.

LogDog
08-01-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm not worried about this. The spread of the Ebola virus is by means of contact with blood or secretions of the infected patient. The spread of the disease in West Africa is due mainly to families caring for those infected with the Ebola virus having no universal precautions (masks,gowns, gloves). The West Africa region has poor medical and healthcare facilities unlike their American and European counterparts.

The patient(s) coming to the U.S. can be "isolated" while in flight; the medical personnel treating them can take universal precautions, and the aircrew (pilots) can be physically separated from the patient and use an internal oxygen system.

The U.S. has had patients with extremely infectious diseases before and transported them safely from one location to another. I have no doubt they'll use the highest level of care to transport these patients.

BENDER56
08-01-2014, 08:22 PM
... The U.S. has had patients with extremely infectious diseases before and transported them safely from one location to another. I have no doubt they'll use the highest level of care to transport these patients.

Oh yeah? Apparently you haven't been watching "The Strain." I know this one guy who knows someone who swears it's based on a true story but it was covered up by the gummint. So what do you have to say now? When we're all bleeding out of our eyes and ears it'll be your fault.

Gonzo432
08-01-2014, 08:44 PM
So, we're going to bring people into the country who have an incredibly deadly (90%??) virus that they contracted while treating patients with the virus and using all the protective equipment, that keeps you from contracting the virus?

Oh yeah, nothing can go wrong here.

garhkal
08-01-2014, 08:47 PM
So there is an operation underway to bring the two Americans infected with Ebola to the US for treatment:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/01/health/ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Thoughts? Is this the humanitarian thing to do? Or is this incredibly irresponsible to risk possible exposure to our population?

Irresponsible. Heck imo they should have stopped all international flights into and out of those countries where Ebola has broken out in, quarantine the place.

efmbman
08-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Irresponsible. Heck imo they should have stopped all international flights into and out of those countries where Ebola has broken out in, quarantine the place.

There are many that feel that way. But I ask: who is "they"? Interesting to note that a munition was exploded near a runway in Israel and the FAA suspended flights for about 24 hours. No one in a position to make such a decision seems to think this is a worse scenario for disaster.

Measure Man
08-01-2014, 09:09 PM
There are many that feel that way. But I ask: who is "they"? Interesting to note that a munition was exploded near a runway in Israel and the FAA suspended flights for about 24 hours. No one in a position to make such a decision seems to think this is a worse scenario for disaster.

Different situation...FAA is interested/concerned expert for flight safety, not disease control.

I don't think Ebola is a threat to flight safety.

The FAA would be way out of their lane restricting flights for disease control....I think that would be more of a CDC/WHO/State Dept. undertaking...so completely different people.

garhkal
08-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Different situation...FAA is interested/concerned expert for flight safety, not disease control.

The FAA would be way out of their lane restricting flights for disease control....I think that would be more of a CDC/WHO/State Dept. undertaking...so completely different people.

CDC or WHO imo would be the "They" making the call.

efmbman
08-01-2014, 09:44 PM

Completely different people in the same government all working for the same guy.