PDA

View Full Version : Supervising someone but not being their rater

Shaken1976
07-31-2014, 06:34 PM
I have a SSgt that is working in my office. Operationally I am supervising him. But he is only here for 90 days so I am not his supervisor. After speaking to his supervisor I wrote out a "feedback" for him. But he just doesn't seem to get the job. He won't take notes on our tasks. He can't remember something he was trained on from one day to the next. He asks a million and one questions without trying to figure out how to do something.

He seems like he is a smart kid. But here he is dumb as box of rocks.

Gonzo432
07-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Hmmm, first question that comes to mind is, "Who made the drug-deal to stick him in your shop?" Second question: "Why did someone willingly give up this individual?" This sounds like CRO/EPR avoidance to me. Is he PCSing or going civilian below the zone? So many questions, just like your guy!! HA!

Shaken1976
07-31-2014, 07:07 PM
Hmmm, first question that comes to mind is, "Who made the drug-deal to stick him in your shop?" Second question: "Why did someone willingly give up this individual?" This sounds like CRO/EPR avoidance to me. Is he PCSing or going civilian below the zone? So many questions, just like your guy!! HA!

They rotate through my office for 90-180 days. We get all the box of rocks people. Drives me bonkers.

Mjölnir
07-31-2014, 11:53 PM
TWe get all the box of rocks people.

You probably have to be a certain age to get this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CZr1juTXExA/Tt-Vv3xOkwI/AAAAAAAAAiw/qs6Wdxa4qJM/s1600/Misfit+Toys.jpg

sandsjames
08-01-2014, 12:01 AM
You probably have to be a certain age to get this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CZr1juTXExA/Tt-Vv3xOkwI/AAAAAAAAAiw/qs6Wdxa4qJM/s1600/Misfit+Toys.jpg

My wife's favorite Christmas movie...

Gonzo432
08-01-2014, 01:21 AM
They rotate through my office for 90-180 days. We get all the box of rocks people. Drives me bonkers.

That's just plain dumb. Rocks need time to be polished into slightly shinier rocks, or have a folder thick enough to make them civilian rocks.

BENDER56
08-01-2014, 01:26 PM
... civilian below the zone ...

Ah, my favorite military euphemism.

Shaken1976
08-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Ah, my favorite military euphemism.

I like it too. They put these guys in here with us and then want me to write them a Diamond Sharp award, NCO of the quarter, or something. I guess since they all score 95 and up on their PT test it doesn't matter that they have to take off so their wife can have a hair appt. (Yes this was given to me as an appt). Then I am the mean one when I say no. Or when I tell them that we are swamped and PT today is on their own time.

technomage1
08-06-2014, 12:46 PM
I've done the same on both sides due to personnel swaps that would've triggered a "short" EPR on the indivudual, which since it hurts them I try to avoid or due to deployments. Anyway, the key is communication between the rater and supervisor, and also the super. I've gone so far as to write the EPR for someone I didn't rate but did supervise to ensure they got the rating they deserved. Any differences of opinion regarding the rating should be resolved prior to the EPR being routed, even if the super has to mediate...also keep in mind it's the rater's rater rankings that "matter" so getting that person on your side if you're the supervisor is key.

Also, how DARE you make them PT on their own time. PT is, at least according to the emphasis we place on it, the sole measure of an airman. Don't let that pesky mission stand in the way of true excellence! [/SARCASM]