PDA

View Full Version : Surviving the Cut

giggawatt
07-30-2014, 03:22 PM
ERB results were released across the AF yesterday. I got retained but I know a few who weren't so lucky.

How did everyone else fare?

sandsjames
07-30-2014, 03:48 PM
ERB results were released across the AF yesterday. I got retained but I know a few who weren't so lucky.

I know of 3 Power Pro guys who are gone. A shame, too. 2 TSgts and a MSgt.

Measure Man
07-30-2014, 03:52 PM

Major league bummer...I think my old career field was taken off the list a month or two ago, so haven't heard of anyone getting done.

DannyJ
07-30-2014, 03:53 PM

Were specific individuals notified or was it posted somewhere?

giggawatt
07-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Were specific individuals notified or was it posted somewhere?

It was commander notification. All of us that got retained were notified at the same time and the CC gave us our retain letters.

I think I know those 2 techs.

sandsjames
07-30-2014, 05:08 PM
I think I know those 2 techs.Probably. The ones I'm talking about used to both be here at the schoolhouse...within the past 4 years or so.

giggawatt
07-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Probably. The ones I'm talking about used to both be here at the schoolhouse...within the past 4 years or so.

Well I guess I don't know both. I may know one of them you're talking about. The other one has been at the same base for over 5 years.

Sergeant eNYgma
08-01-2014, 12:35 PM
I was retained and got the email from my Commander to my deployed email.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-17-2014, 11:57 AM
I'd like to know how many of those who were marked as "do not retain" were new to their squadrons...the good old boy system at work again

We always hear about this "good old boy" club, but I'd be really curious to know how many of them are really "slugs" and should not be retained. Maybe it's just me, but I've never met a GOB member who wasn't well rounded.

Gonzo432
08-17-2014, 05:23 PM
We always hear about this "good old boy" club, but I'd be really curious to know how many of them are really "slugs" and should not be retained. Maybe it's just me, but I've never met a GOB member who wasn't well rounded.

Interesting point. De-slugging the force is a good thing. Are you saying the well-rounded (and protected) GOBs (B could be boy or babe in this case) are not the ones we need for the JOB?

Airborne
08-17-2014, 08:46 PM

When people talk about the good old boy system, it's not so much about the good dude vs the slug. In my opinion its more about the 2 good dudes and one may be of a different race or 2 good dudes and one isnt as "blue" as the other yet both are otherwise equal. The guy that the chief sees at the squadron bar on friday vs the one that has to high tail it to the CDC to pick up his kid and cant stay.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-17-2014, 09:19 PM
When people talk about the good old boy system, it's not so much about the good dude vs the slug. In my opinion its more about the 2 good dudes and one may be of a different race or 2 good dudes and one isnt as "blue" as the other yet both are otherwise equal. The guy that the chief sees at the squadron bar on friday vs the one that has to high tail it to the CDC to pick up his kid and cant stay.

I think it's human nature to "favor" those you know, preferably those you know who actually do a good job for you. That will never change, which is why just about every employment expert insists on "networking" as not only the primary means to find a job, but to also keep a job.

Those who are most effective at achieving the real goals of networking are many times labeled as "good old boys club" members by those who envy their success.

Airborne
08-18-2014, 12:12 AM
I think it's human nature to "favor" those you know, preferably those you know who actually do a good job for you. That will never change, which is why just about every employment expert insists on "networking" as not only the primary means to find a job, but to also keep a job.

Those who are most effective at achieving the real goals of networking are many times labeled as "good old boys club" members by those who envy their success.

I agree, and I myself have gotten jobs, schools, and reccommended coworkers based on networking. However, the Air Force prides itself on being fair and rewarding work and not good ole boy shenanigans. So now a black dude or female "could" perceive a certain rating as good ole boy in the new system where in our current system youre as promotable comparative to the effort you put into WAPS (enlisted). There are already complaints about racial/sexual impropriety in some sections of the officer side (especially rated flyers).