PDA

View Full Version : Suing a school and complaining about quality education

WILDJOKER5
07-29-2014, 06:18 PM
I am sorry for the parents loss, but what does suing the school or the district really accomplish? For one, it drains the resources that other students will have to accomadate what these parent feel they are owed. Two, it says these parents are selfish and think their kid could do no wrong. I mean seriously, the investigation hasnt shown any wrong doing, but yet the parents are going to waste the money of the schools by dragging them to court.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/29/parents-sue-georgia-school-system-in-gym-mat-death/?intcmp=latestnews

Measure Man
07-29-2014, 06:34 PM
I am sorry for the parents loss, but what does suing the school or the district really accomplish?

I don't know if holding SOMEONE accountable is some way helps the parents "feel better", "get closure" or whatever. Apparently, they believe foul play was involved, and are not getting any satisfaction from the investigative process...

I think, logically, it's easy to say "well, the investigation didn't turn up anything, so this is closed"...but if a parent's intuition is telling them something else...it's probably not that easy to just let it go.

For one, it drains the resources that other students will have to accomadate what these parent feel they are owed.

Okay. But, if you felt the school was negligent and "owed" you something...how much would it bother you that what was owed you was being taken away from other kids?

Two, it says these parents are selfish and think their kid could do no wrong.

Not sure how you got that out of this case.

I mean seriously, the investigation hasnt shown any wrong doing, but yet the parents are going to waste the money of the schools by dragging them to court.

I've been fortunate that I haven't lost anyone close to me under suspicious circumstances like this...so I can't really say how it feels.

I think, for instance, the Goldman family felt some satisfaction in winning their civil case against OJ Simpson, even though he was acquitted in the criminal case...even if they've never collected a dime...just to hear the court say "OJ is responsible", I think gave them some satisfaction.

On this case, I'm not sure how and why the school should be held responsible, if at all,...but, that's what the trial is for. The death does seem kind of suspicious, but I have only cursory knowledge of the facts, if that.

Stalwart
07-29-2014, 07:35 PM
I am sorry for the parents loss, but what does suing the school or the district really accomplish? For one, it drains the resources that other students will have to accomadate what these parent feel they are owed. Two, it says these parents are selfish and think their kid could do no wrong. I mean seriously, the investigation hasnt shown any wrong doing, but yet the parents are going to waste the money of the schools by dragging them to court.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/29/parents-sue-georgia-school-system-in-gym-mat-death/?intcmp=latestnews

I don't think they are suing over quality of education, but over the death of their kid on school grounds ... during the school day.

Now, I have heard about this off and on in the news for a few months, and I gather that they are frustrated with what they perceive the lack of a thorough investigation. In many ways when I heard about it, I thought "yeah, they can't accept a tragic accident." I will say, the photos of the body are disturbing and would cause me to wonder how this happened. My first thought when I saw the photos was that the body was either beaten, or was suspended upside down and blood settled into the head and face, but looking at the photos on the second link, the body was horizontal ... so I don't know.

Family page: http://kjmemorial.wordpress.com/

Here are some photos of the scene:

Headline News: http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/10/10/kendrick-johnson-georgia-gym-mat-death-evidence

As far as draining resources of the school, IF ... IF the school is found negligent the judgment would come out of insurance (sure ... premiums will likely go up) ... but money would not come out of the resources or education fund.

garhkal
07-29-2014, 09:28 PM
I know some people, who even when seeing the facts of the matter, can't drop their Belief that something else was what went on. SO i can understand this family being the same in relation to thinking their kid was done wrong.