PDA

View Full Version : Salem mayor goes after religious college

garhkal
07-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Hmm.. Seems Salem's Mayor thinks a religious school, which prohibts sex between any pupils who ALL sign off on a morality clause to attend the school (like all those working there), is only discriminating against homosexuals. And as such has revoked their contract to run the old town hall building, even though in the time the school has run it, not ONE group has ever been denyed use of it..

What do you all think?
Is she right, or wrong?

http://www.salemnews.com/local/x1927850793/Salem-mayor-Kim-Driscoll-cuts-ties-with-Gordon-College-over-gay-rights

sandsjames
07-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Hmm.. Seems Salem's Mayor thinks a religious school, which prohibts sex between any pupils who ALL sign off on a morality clause to attend the school (like all those working there), is only discriminating against homosexuals. And as such has revoked their contract to run the old town hall building, even though in the time the school has run it, not ONE group has ever been denyed use of it..

What do you all think?
Is she right, or wrong?

http://www.salemnews.com/local/x1927850793/Salem-mayor-Kim-Driscoll-cuts-ties-with-Gordon-College-over-gay-rightsNot sure if it was just my browser at work or not, but I didn't see anything saying that everyone (gay and straight) signed the clause so it's hard to comment on this specifically.

I will say that if ALL students are required to sign a "clause" about not having sex with anyone then it's fine. However, if the clause specifically says that they will not engage in homosexual sex then it's discriminatory.

Always two minds about this, though. Why would someone want to attend a college that was against their beliefs?

garhkal
07-22-2014, 10:16 PM
I had to dig into the school itself, but it was mentioned on the GOP USA site, that the school makes everyone (student and teacher) sign a morality clause about sex outside of marriage. Regardless if gay or not. Guess i should have linked that too.

Stalwart
07-23-2014, 01:16 AM
IMO, Gordon College is a private institution and has every right to set standards of conduct for it's staff & students. The mayor of Salem, as the city's chief executive has every right to enter into or cancel contracts with organizations that do not reflect the senses or values of the community of the city of Salem.

The college has long had their standards of conduct and it seems the president of the college signed a letter to President Obama requesting inclusion of a religious exemption in an executive order that would ban organizations from receiving federal contracts if they discriminate against gays and lesbians in their hiring practices -- again something that President Obama as the federal chief executive has every right to do.

The article also states that the city was due to take over management of the Town Hall in August anyway ... so this basically advances that by a week or two. In the long run the college will likely not be impacted and niether will the town.

Why would someone want to attend a college that was against their beliefs?

For the most part I wonder the same thing. I could see that if that school is providing the best education around (regardless of their moral stance on an issue) that someone may want to go there to get a quality education.

This case is similiar:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/student-expelled-college-gay-marriage-24560977

A 22-year old student at Southwestern Christian University was expelled for getting married to her same-sex partner. She wants to return and graduate from SwCU, The expulsion took place before her senior year which may impact her ability to transfer all of her credits to another university.

"Minard admitted that she violated her signed student conduct code, known as a lifestyle principal, which prohibits homosexual relationships. The code also includes prohibitions on smoking, drinking, cheating, premarital sex, discrimination, harassment and profanity."

On that point, she signed a student code, she broke the code and seeing that SwCU is a private school she should follow their rules or transfer to a university without the same restrictions.

"I do acknowledge to breaking that covenant," Minard said, but she said other students break the code without facing consequences."

On that point, she may very well have a point, but as with other discussions, the best way to address the disparity is likely not going to be to say "everyone else is breaking other rules and don't get punished" -- two wrongs don't make a right. Since it is a private school they are allowed to establish standards of conduct that a public school could not; attending doesn't necessarily mean you agree with their stance on an issue -- they cannot regulate your thought but can regulate your actions. It may be a matter of the school only being able to enforce rules that they know get broken, or her not knowing someone was punished for something ... don't know. Being that it is a southern Christian school, I would also assume they regard a violation of their code pertaining to homosexuality to be more severe than taking a drag off a cigarette or dropping some profanity.

garhkal
07-23-2014, 07:41 AM
On that point, she may very well have a point, but as with other discussions, the best way to address the disparity is likely not going to be to say "everyone else is breaking other rules and don't get punished" -- two wrongs don't make a right. Since it is a private school they are allowed to establish standards of conduct that a public school could not; attending doesn't necessarily mean you agree with their stance on an issue -- they cannot regulate your thought but can regulate your actions. It may be a matter of the school only being able to enforce rules that they know get broken, or her not knowing someone was punished for something ... don't know. Being that it is a southern Christian school, I would also assume they regard a violation of their code pertaining to homosexuality to be more severe than taking a drag off a cigarette or dropping some profanity.

I heard of that linked case too. IMO she knew what she was getting into when she signed up. If she didn't like it (the marrying a same sex partner) why couldn't she wait?

Stalwart
07-23-2014, 10:02 AM
IIf she didn't like it (the marrying a same sex partner) why couldn't she wait?

Or ... if she didn't like it she could have transferred to another university.

I am very much in favor of treating people equally and fairly. I am not a member of a golf course since I don't like to golf. She was attending a private, religious (Christian) university with a pretty clear and defined code of conduct & standards. As I said in another forum, that university may have the greatest [whatever her program was] department, but they are also in their right to establish their standards of conduct for their private university. If people don't like their stance on that issue or any other, they certainly could enroll somewhere else.

garhkal
07-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Or ... if she didn't like it she could have transferred to another university.

I am very much in favor of treating people equally and fairly. I am not a member of a golf course since I don't like to golf. She was attending a private, religious (Christian) university with a pretty clear and defined code of conduct & standards. As I said in another forum, that university may have the greatest [whatever her program was] department, but they are also in their right to establish their standards of conduct for their private university. If people don't like their stance on that issue or any other, they certainly could enroll somewhere else.

Egads. Me and Stalwart see eye to eye on a subject. Been a while since we did that S..

Stalwart
07-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Egads indeed.