PDA

View Full Version : All's well that ends well

omertalifestyle
07-17-2014, 11:47 PM
So very soon I will be medically retired from the Air Force, retired at the rank I should have never lost to begin with (getting the retroactive back pay is still in the works). Seems like anything and everything that could have been thrown at me had been, and I'm coming out with a lot of wisdom and the promise to myself that I will do anything I possibly can to ensure my kids never ever join the military.

At one time I did bleed blue, but that ship has sailed. I will be starting a new job soon and I'm excited to start. Yes the chance that I could find myself unemployed at some point is there, but now I know how to prepare for that and I will never look at anything as a sure thing. Now my work performance and only my work performance will be judged.

My demotion is still being worked to be overturned outright, all EPRs and paperwork that came with it will be wiped as well. I have also asked for a consideration for promotion to TSgt based on the fact that I tested for rank 13 days prior to the PT test that ultimately demoted me and that now that the test has been overturned and the demotion overturned, the consideration should be there because that would have caused 2 full test cycles to pass where I was unable to WAPS test because of a wrongful demotion. It's a longshot I know, but if you never try, you'll never know.

sandsjames
07-18-2014, 11:25 AM
So very soon I will be medically retired from the Air Force, retired at the rank I should have never lost to begin with (getting the retroactive back pay is still in the works). Seems like anything and everything that could have been thrown at me had been, and I'm coming out with a lot of wisdom and the promise to myself that I will do anything I possibly can to ensure my kids never ever join the military.

At one time I did bleed blue, but that ship has sailed. I will be starting a new job soon and I'm excited to start. Yes the chance that I could find myself unemployed at some point is there, but now I know how to prepare for that and I will never look at anything as a sure thing. Now my work performance and only my work performance will be judged.

My demotion is still being worked to be overturned outright, all EPRs and paperwork that came with it will be wiped as well. I have also asked for a consideration for promotion to TSgt based on the fact that I tested for rank 13 days prior to the PT test that ultimately demoted me and that now that the test has been overturned and the demotion overturned, the consideration should be there because that would have caused 2 full test cycles to pass where I was unable to WAPS test because of a wrongful demotion. It's a longshot I know, but if you never try, you'll never know.

Congratulations...and best of luck on getting things overturned. As you said, can't hurt to try. And get ready for your quality of life and enjoyment to improve by leaps and bounds. Welcome to the world of not being somebody else's property.

socal1200r
07-18-2014, 12:35 PM
I finally got fed up with all the BS and submitted my application for retirement, effective 31 Dec. Started back in 1986, all Guard and Reserve time, with numerous active duty tours thrown in the mix over the years. I told myself that as long as I enjoyed it, I would stay in. Well, like the OP has said, that ship has sailed.

From a Reserve member perspective, the next six months involves less than two weeks' worth of drill days. I informed my orderly room staff of my pending retirement, and that I was going to treat my remaining time as "terminal leave without pay", so I had no intention of doing any more drills, AT days, etc., I'm done with the Reserves, and they can go pound sand for all I care. Yet, they still sent me my Officer Performance Brief to review for a Col board that's meeting in a few months, and wanted me to submit a Promotion Recommendation Form. I told them I'm retiring at the end of the year, I don't have a Master's degree or a War College done, don't intend on doing either, so I'm not going to waste my time or the board's. They're also bugging me to get another PT test done, submit some OPR bullets, etc. It's this kind of administrative and bureaucratic BS that pushed me over the edge. Does no one have any common sense anymore in the military?!

Today's DoD is a far cry from what it was then I joined back in 1986, and not in a good way. All this politically correct BS, embracing "diversity" BS, senior leaders not having any balls, etc., made it easy to decide to pop smoke and get the hell out. When I went thru Army basic training at Fort Sill (combat arms, field artillery), we still did the Jody calls (since we didn't have any women), and I still remember them fondly..."I wish that all the ladies, were bells in a tower, and I was a hunchback, I'd bang 'em every hour..." Yup, those were the days, not today's DoD, where they actually promote and sponsor an LGBT "pride" month, allow women on submarines, are paying for Bradley Manning's gender reassignment (I refuse to refer to him as "Chelsea", freak...), the list goes on and on. I'm SO looking forward to getting out, since it embarasses me to no end to put on the uniform now, and have no pride whatsoever in serving. And of course, the USAFR screwing me over five years ago, which caused me to hire a lawyer and appeal my case all the way to the Air Force Board for the Correction of Military Records, who ruled IN MY FAVOR, and where I'm still waiting for all the backpay I'm owed from DFAS, etc., further validated my decision to get out.

Good luck to all of those that decide to stay in, but I've had enough, and it's time to get out...

Measure Man
07-18-2014, 02:23 PM
."I wish that all the ladies, were bells in a tower, and I was a hunchback, I'd bang 'em every hour..."

Ha! We did that one in basic, too.

If all of the ladies
Were bricks in a pile
And I was a mason
I'd lay 'em for awhile

Good luck...and thanks for your service.

Measure Man
08-04-2014, 01:58 PM
on 20 Sept. After all the crap I went through with my ex it is so nice to have a good guy. I just thought I would share. Our kids are super excited. My daughter is excited to have siblings. She loves my fiance. He adores her. He has a good job with USAA. Just got a promotion last week. He does side work as a plumber to help out friends when they need it. He has an amazing family.

We had planned on just a small wedding but it has grown into a huge thing. We are currently picking out all the music for the wedding. Open to ideas.... It takes us hours to pick a song for each thing.

soooooo...if you are in San Antonio on 20 Sept....come on over....

When I got married, our 'First Dance' was to 'Why don't we get drunk and screw' by Jimmy Buffett...set a nice tone for the reception :-)

Shaken1976
08-04-2014, 02:42 PM
When I got married, our 'First Dance' was to 'Why don't we get drunk and screw' by Jimmy Buffett...set a nice tone for the reception :-)

Weird. This was supposed to be its own post.

socal1200r
08-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Ha! We did that one in basic, too.

If all of the ladies
Were bricks in a pile
And I was a mason
I'd lay 'em for awhile

Good luck...and thanks for your service.

I wish that all the ladies,
were pies on a shelf.
And I was a baker,
I'd eat 'em all myself.

I wish that all the ladies,
were holes in a road.
And I was a dump truck,
I'd fill 'em with my load.

Ah, those were the days, lol...

CYBERFX1024
08-11-2014, 02:43 PM
I miss those cadences now. When I was with an Infantry unit we would sing those all the time. But when I PCS's to Parris Island I did that one time and I got counseled for it.