PDA

View Full Version : Feds to house undocumented people at 3 star resort. Right or wrong??

garhkal
07-16-2014, 07:55 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/16/feds-to-house-illegal-immigrants-at-multimillion-dollar-hotel/

First off, how can the fed take over a place like this, when as a resort facility, they have people from all over with bookings for vacations etc.
2nd, since it does have swimming facilities, are they also going to provide lifeguards? WHO pays?
What of food and medical care while in it?
And when they all leave, who pays for the repairs?

sandsjames
07-16-2014, 08:05 PM
And when they all leave, who pays for the repairs? That's assuming they leave any time in the foreseeable future.

If they do want to house them, why don't we have a couple CE squadrons set up a tent city for them. Should only take a week or so. I know we've still got a bunch of old GP mediums in the supply system, and plenty of cots.

Rainmaker
07-16-2014, 08:24 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/16/feds-to-house-illegal-immigrants-at-multimillion-dollar-hotel/

First off, how can the fed take over a place like this, when as a resort facility, they have people from all over with bookings for vacations etc.
2nd, since it does have swimming facilities, are they also going to provide lifeguards? WHO pays?

Follow the money. It will come out of the emergency $3.7 billion which, they WILL pass. so, this new $3.7B they spend this quarter may be enough to get the GDP positive (0%.1) and keep us from technically slipping into a recession going into the fall election cycle. None of the incumbents in either party wants that because, they know they'll be getting thrown out on their asses if the press starts talking about another recession.

USAF-Controller
07-16-2014, 08:54 PM

Did you read the article? The facility is being bought so there would not be a "take over". Why would you assume that the hotel would be damaged when people left anyway? Also, the swimming pools are being filled in. The article also addresses the food and medical care needs.

garhkal
07-16-2014, 10:37 PM
That's assuming they leave any time in the foreseeable future.

If they do want to house them, why don't we have a couple CE squadrons set up a tent city for them. Should only take a week or so. I know we've still got a bunch of old GP mediums in the supply system, and plenty of cots.

It works for Sheriff Aripio.

Measure Man
07-16-2014, 10:47 PM
The facility is being bought so there would not be a "take over". Why would you assume that the hotel would be damaged when people left anyway? Also, the swimming pools are being filled in. The article also addresses the food and medical care needs.

The purchase has been cancelled.

USAF-Controller
07-16-2014, 10:51 PM

Then this thread is dead, although hopefully another venue can be found. I don't see how we can just turn all those children away. I know if I were in their parents position and they were MY children, I would want them to be cared for.

Stalwart
07-16-2014, 11:17 PM
It works for Sheriff Aripio.

It does, for him in his county. Apply the same tactic to a national issue (regional?) involves a lot more people (detainees and residents ... voters), a lot more issues (to include foreign policy implications.)

Not saying it is a bad idea, but saying what works for Sheriff "Joe" would work on that level (at keeping it that simple) isn't realistic.

garhkal
07-17-2014, 04:27 AM

Good. Wonder if it was cause of public pressure that it was cancelled.

Then this thread is dead, although hopefully another venue can be found. I don't see how we can just turn all those children away. I know if I were in their parents position and they were MY children, I would want them to be cared for.

If these parents cared about their kids so much, why did they either A) abandon them to come to the US in the first place, or B) let them go on their own to come here?

Chris_1991-2011
07-17-2014, 05:30 AM
Good. Wonder if it was cause of public pressure that it was cancelled.

Like USAF-Controller asked above: Did you read the article?

Thread title "Feds to house undocumented people at 3 star resort. Right or wrong??," and the title of the article you linked to "Fed-backed group drops plan to buy fancy hotel to house illegals." The article title indicates the plan was dropped, so nobody is being housed. The organization behind the plan has a contract with the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to run camps at Lackland and Fort Sill. Are they considered the "Feds" because they have a contract with the DHHS? A three star resort was never mentioned in the article. In the article, in large bold font, it says, "The Palm Aire Hotel is not exactly Club Med…." It may be a nice hotel, but a 3 star resort or "fancy" as the title of the article says? http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56865-d73121-Reviews-Palm_Aire_Hotel_Suites-Weslaco_Texas.html

And yes, it would seem that (public) pressure is the reason it was cancelled (from the end of the article):

But images of the hotel's amenities generated a backlash that officials said could not be overcome.

"We are not going to continue with trying to purchase that hotel," a source close to the plan told Fox News. "It was just too controversial. We should have known better, no matter what the cost."

Just curious. :)

garhkal
07-17-2014, 07:38 PM
No i didn't read the article. I just did a quick google search and took the first link i could grab. But on the network news site which reported it first, there was no mention of the plans being 'stopped' to buy the place. Just talk about the place was being looked into to rent/take over to house the illegals.