PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous

sandsjames
07-16-2014, 12:56 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/fans-reflect-on-archies-heroic-death/

The only thing that would have made it worse was if Archie would have been killed by protesters trying to get Betty/Veronica into an abortion clinic.

garhkal
07-16-2014, 08:38 PM
I used to love the Archie comic. Now days, i can't stand to read it, and with this news, i doubt i ever will again.

USAF-Controller
07-16-2014, 09:45 PM
So if he had died protecting his "best friend" or "girl friend" you would have no issue with it?

Measure Man
07-16-2014, 10:05 PM
Ha ha ha ha...

...this morning on talk radio people were lamenting how the new Thor was a woman.

I don't get the whole deal about comics and stuff...never been into them. I mean, I might read one if it's sitting there on the coffee table in the Dentist office, but that's about it. I didn't even know Archie grew up.

...but on this, I could see that people might have the "issue with it" being that the author, created a narrative to make a certain political side seem courageous and heroic, with the other side being evil.

It's kind of like a strawman deal...as the author, he controls the whole of the universe, so if he can't actually argue with real political oppponents, he can create caricatures and misrepresentations of them and their positions in his story line, and then easily defeat them. Kind of like what goes on every day on cable news and social media...and maybe even around here :-)

TJMAC77SP
07-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Ha ha ha ha...

...this morning on talk radio people were lamenting how the new Thor was a woman.

I don't get the whole deal about comics and stuff...never been into them. I mean, I might read one if it's sitting there on the coffee table in the Dentist office, but that's about it. I didn't even know Archie grew up.

...but on this, I could see that people might have the "issue with it" being that the author, created a narrative to make a certain political side seem courageous and heroic, with the other side being evil.

It's kind of like a strawman deal...as the author, he controls the whole of the universe, so if he can't actually argue with real political oppponents, he can create caricatures and misrepresentations of them and their positions in his story line, and then easily defeat them. Kind of like what goes on every day on cable news and social media...and maybe even around here :-)

Not for nothing but I always thought Robin was a little gay..............

garhkal
07-16-2014, 11:38 PM
So if he had died protecting his "best friend" or "girl friend" you would have no issue with it?

Yes. It just seems that they are hamming up he 'protects his gay friend' to push a social agenda.

Mjölnir
07-16-2014, 11:43 PM

http://rubberchickensociety.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/thorsad.jpg

USAF-Controller
07-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Yes. It just seems that they are hamming up he 'protects his gay friend' to push a social agenda.

So his "best friend's" life or his "girl friend's" life is worth more than his "gay friend's" life? That's what I'm getting from your answer. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

garhkal
07-17-2014, 05:25 AM
Whether the friend is a gal, guy or otherwise, its worth (or should be) worth the same. BUT that they aer specifically making it the ONE gay guy is what i consider hamming it up.

sandsjames
07-17-2014, 12:24 PM

It's not about how he died. It's about that the press is making such a big deal about the fact that it was a gay friend. Why not just say it was a friend? Everybody who reads it knows the guy was gay. There was never a fuss made before about the guy being gay. Just that it's emphasized that he's a "hero" for saving his "gay friend". Could have just been his friend. Everyone who reads it knows he's gay.

Measure Man
07-17-2014, 04:03 PM
It's not about how he died. It's about that the press is making such a big deal about the fact that it was a gay friend. Why not just say it was a friend? Everybody who reads it knows the guy was gay. There was never a fuss made before about the guy being gay. Just that it's emphasized that he's a "hero" for saving his "gay friend". Could have just been his friend. Everyone who reads it knows he's gay.

Just from reading the internet about it....wasn't the guy also some kind of anti-gun crusader?

sandsjames
07-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Just from reading the internet about it....wasn't the guy also some kind of anti-gun crusader?Yeah...and reading an article on CBSNews the comments he made about it was that it was more about gun control then gays...then he turned around and said that it wasn't a political statement (not sure how he can say that with a straight face).

garhkal
07-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Yeah...and reading an article on CBSNews the comments he made about it was that it was more about gun control then gays...then he turned around and said that it wasn't a political statement (not sure how he can say that with a straight face).

That's another reason i find it being pushed. It hits 2 birds with one stone, both gun control (someone attempting to kill an outspoken anti gun activist, who just happens to also be gay) and gay rights..

Rainmaker
07-17-2014, 09:19 PM
That's another reason i find it being pushed. It hits 2 birds with one stone, both gun control (someone attempting to kill an outspoken anti gun activist, who just happens to also be gay) and gay rights..

Make no mistake. It's being pushed to it's target audience. Kids with unsuspecting parents, that just think they're buying their children a comic book. Homosexual behavior is not normal behavior. It's perverted behavior and it's sick.

sandsjames
07-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Make no mistake. It's being pushed to it's target audience. Kids with unsuspecting parents, that just think they're buying their children a comic book. Homosexual behavior is not normal behavior. It's perverted behavior and it's sick.

In all fairness, it's not on the comic...it's on the parents. No different than TV. If you don't like it, change the channel.

My issue isn't that it was in the comic, it's that the media is making such a big deal about how "heroic" the character was because of the circumstances and people involved.

Rainmaker
07-17-2014, 09:32 PM
In all fairness, it's not on the comic...it's on the parents. No different than TV. If you don't like it, change the channel.

My issue isn't that it was in the comic, it's that the media is making such a big deal about how "heroic" the character was because of the circumstances and people involved.

True. What passes for "art and entertainment" today is the sign of a decayed society and not the cause of it. Yes, it's on the parents to have read and watch everything before their children. That's why Rainmaker got rid of the boob tube years ago. However, there once was a time in this country when a parent could trust that a comic book wasn't going to be pushing some deviant queer agenda.

Measure Man
07-17-2014, 09:53 PM
True. What passes for "art and entertainment" today is the sign of a decayed society and not the cause of it. Yes, it's on the parents to have read and watch everything before their children. That's why Rainmaker got rid of the boob tube years ago. However, there once was a time in this country when a parent could trust that a comic book wasn't going to be pushing some deviant queer agenda.

"...if you don't find a rabbit in lipstick amusing, you and I have nothin' to say to each other." ~ Bugs Bunny

Stalwart
07-18-2014, 12:28 AM

I think anyone stepping in front of someone to protect them would be "heroic" regardless of who is being protected -- granted, we are talking about a comic book character.

What I read about this today was that there are several different Archie books, this one was not geared towards kids but was kind of "what happens when Archie grows up" and dealt with more mature themes and the next issue (taking place one year after Archie dies) will be the last of this title. It is obvious that the writer is making a couple of different statements with the theme and events, it is their prerogative, if it sells a lot of copies you can expect more of it in the future.

All that aside, who knew Archie was still being published?

Rainmaker
07-18-2014, 02:47 AM

"...if you don't find a rabbit in lipstick amusing, you and I have nothin' to say to each other." ~ Bugs Bunny

... I bet you say that to all the wabbits..

sandsjames
07-18-2014, 12:22 PM
I think anyone stepping in front of someone to protect them would be "heroic" regardless of who is being protected --

Exactly...and it's the writers perogative to do so. Again, that's not my point. My point is that the media had to jump on the "gay friend" "gun control" part of the whole thing. Could't have just been a friend being saved from a criminal?