PDA

View Full Version : Effective gun control ad?

Chris_1991-2011
07-12-2014, 05:38 AM
Wasn't sure where to post this, so if it's wrong..my bad. Someone liked this on my FB page and I thought I'd share it:

(For some reason the video is slightly off/narrow. It can be viewed in the article linked below.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKHeXC7L85s
Play things: kids find everything. Their play things....and yours. Have a gun? Lock it up.

Here is the page that was liked on FB: http://www.bustle.com/articles/29652-evolve-together-gun-safety-groups-ad-uses-sex-toys-to-get-its-message-across?utm_source=FBTraffic&utm_medium=fijifrost&utm_campaign=CMfacebook

I'm not sure how effective the add is, but personally I found it quit humorous. Thoughts?

Rainmaker
07-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this, so if it's wrong..my bad. Someone liked this on my FB page and I thought I'd share it:

(For some reason the video is slightly off/narrow. It can be viewed in the article linked below.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKHeXC7L85s
Play things: kids find everything. Their play things....and yours. Have a gun? Lock it up.

Here is the page that was liked on FB: http://www.bustle.com/articles/29652-evolve-together-gun-safety-groups-ad-uses-sex-toys-to-get-its-message-across?utm_source=FBTraffic&utm_medium=fijifrost&utm_campaign=CMfacebook

I'm not sure how effective the add is, but personally I found it quit humorous. Thoughts?

Yes it's clever.... lock up your dildos ladies.... It would be even more effective if instead of standing there like a moron the mother started beating the crap out of the kids. But, i guess this is what we've come to. Rainmaker can remember a time when trucks in the High School parking lot had rifles hanging up in the gun racks during deer season. Every house you went to had unlocked guns in the living room gun cabinets. we hunted squirrels with .22s in the woods after school and no one cared much. yet, somehow as crazy as it sounds no one ever got shot. Why? Because our parents would have beaten us senseless if we did anything stupid with them

Greg
07-13-2014, 01:13 AM
At the age of ten years, I had a .22 bolt-action rifle, laying across a row of nails pounded into some wooden framing down in the basement, behind the rec-room's bar. My father's shotgun was there also, with boxes of ammo for both weapons.

My mother kept a two shot derringer under her mattress of the bed she shared with my father.

At an early age I was taught to shoot, breakdown, and clean these weapons. My father was a big city cop, and would take me with him to the local LEO's gun range.

Anytime I wanted to take my .22 rifle out to shoot in a field or woods, all I had to do was ask permission.

Two words: "parental" and "supervision."

Chris_1991-2011
07-13-2014, 01:49 AM
Because our parents would have beaten us senseless if we did anything stupid with them

Two words: "parental" and "supervision."

The video, at least in my opinion, is funny, but it's also sad. As Rainmaker said above "this is what we've come to." From the article linked above:

The ad is a humorous look at a very serious issue. Sponsored by the gun-control group Evolve Together, it really drives home the need for parents to lock up their guns and keep them out of the hands of kids. And this is a serious issue.

To me the serious issue that should be driven home is the need for parents to actually parent/raise their kids. Spend time at home WITH their kids, get to know them, and teach them right from wrong, responsibility (including taking responsibility for their actions), actions/stupidity have consequences, and honesty. If you have guns in the home take steps to properly secure/safeguard them (IMO), but also teach them about the guns. Use, safety, responsibility, and consequences. Talking on their cellphones, texting/sexting, social media, TV, and the internet etc. are not proper tools/methods for raising children.

Capt Alfredo
07-13-2014, 06:44 AM
Yes it's clever.... lock up your dildos ladies.... It would be even more effective if instead of standing there like a moron the mother started beating the crap out of the kids. But, i guess this is what we've come to. Rainmaker can remember a time when trucks in the High School parking lot had rifles hanging up in the gun racks during deer season. Every house you went to had unlocked guns in the living room gun cabinets. we hunted squirrels with .22s in the woods after school and no one cared much. yet, somehow as crazy as it sounds no one ever got shot. Why? Because our parents would have beaten us senseless if we did anything stupid with them

No one ever got shot in your specific instance, but I'm not sure you can accurately draw that across all experiences. In fact, I remember a kid who lived down the street killing himself with his dad's hunting rifle in the 80s because he was able to get into that unlocked gun cabinet. Now maybe he would have found another way, but still. There, now my anecdote counterbalances your anecdote.

Rainmaker
07-13-2014, 03:27 PM
No one ever got shot in your specific instance, but I'm not sure you can accurately draw that across all experiences. In fact, I remember a kid who lived down the street killing himself with his dad's hunting rifle in the 80s because he was able to get into that unlocked gun cabinet. Now maybe he would have found another way, but still. There, now my anecdote counterbalances your anecdote.

Yes, There's always a risk where something can go wrong. Rainmaker had a friend lose a foot when a lawnmower rolled over it as he was mowing a hillside. Perhaps, only if the lawn mower had been locked away Jimmy wouldn't walk with a permanent limp. This nanny state we have is what happens when your society becomes feminized and values safety and security over Freedom (which, requires self reliance and personal responsibility).

How do you stop your kids from touching a hot stove, or running with scissors or smashing each other over the head with hammers or taking your car keys and driving or drinking paint thinner? should all those things be locked away too? Now, Rainmaker personally locks his firearms. Mainly to prevent theft. But, the whole premise that the nanny state needs to tell us that by showing commercials with kids sword fighting with Dildos is ridiculous. This country is going down the shitter, thanks to men acting like women and entertaining this liberal garbage.

TJMAC77SP
07-13-2014, 05:22 PM
What's the score now? I lost track.

Rainmaker
07-13-2014, 06:11 PM
What's the score now? I lost track.

All tied up and comin' down to the wire. Don't touch that dial sportsfan, cause we're boff masterdebators. NomSayin?