PDA

View Full Version : US personnel in Bahrain prepare for Ramadan

MACHINE666
06-27-2014, 01:15 PM
This is bulls#!t.

http://www.stripes.com/news/middle-east/us-personnel-in-bahrain-prepare-for-ramadan-1.290721

socal1200r
06-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Don't know what's got your panties in a bunch. We're guests in that country, and it's only common sense to get a briefing like that about that country's customs. Would be pretty stupid for a US service member to get detained, fined, or ticketed for doing something during Ramadan that could've been easily prevented by attending a brief like this. Most foreign countries I've deployed to had a country briefing as part of the in-processing.

Rusty Jones
06-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Maybe we should cut a deal... if they let us ignore Ramadan in Bahrain, we'll let them beat their wives in the US.

sandsjames
06-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Maybe we should cut a deal... if they let us ignore Ramadan in Bahrain, we'll let them beat their wives in the US.

Agree (not with your analogy because it's not even close to being the same thing) witht the point you are trying to make. We choose to be there so we follow their laws...but even better is we get the fuck out of there.

Rusty Jones
06-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Agree (not with your analogy because it's not even close to being the same thing) witht the point you are trying to make. We choose to be there so we follow their laws...but even better is we get the fuck out of there.

Of course it's not the same thing. Slapping your wife versus giving a deity the finger! What else should we let them do on top of beating their wives in order to make it more even?

sandsjames
06-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Of course it's not the same thing. Slapping your wife versus giving a deity the finger! What else should we let them do on top of beating their wives in order to make it more even?

I see what you did there...

SomeRandomGuy
06-27-2014, 06:33 PM

I'm ok with letting them practice suicide bombings. We can create a bomb range where they can blow themselves up to make sure it will work.

garhkal
06-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Don't know what's got your panties in a bunch. We're guests in that country, and it's only common sense to get a briefing like that about that country's customs. Would be pretty stupid for a US service member to get detained, fined, or ticketed for doing something during Ramadan that could've been easily prevented by attending a brief like this. Most foreign countries I've deployed to had a country briefing as part of the in-processing.

Exactly. I was stationed there for 2 years from oct 99 to jan 02, and had those briefings. Heck during that time, we were allowed to use the road way by the grand mosque for PT and PRT's, but during Ramadan, if you wanted to go run that route, you had to wear sweat pants. NO matter the temp.

Rainmaker
06-27-2014, 07:56 PM
This is bulls#!t.

http://www.stripes.com/news/middle-east/us-personnel-in-bahrain-prepare-for-ramadan-1.290721

All these restrictions on what to wear must be confusing for the cross dressers celebrating on base.
I'm sure the administration will negotiate some kind of waiver for them with our host nation partners.

sandsjames
06-27-2014, 08:08 PM
All these restrictions on what to wear must be confusing for the cross dressers celebrating on base.
I'm sure the administration will negotiate some kind of waiver for them with our host nation partners.

Great point. Seems like it would be a violation of civil rights to deploy a cross dresser to a location that didn't let them express themselves.

Stalwart
06-27-2014, 11:24 PM
This is bulls#!t.

Is it? Our military are their guests, and in that regard it seems like we want to be there much more than they really want us to be there. Yes, we pay a lot of money for the base and pier/port fees ... but Bahrain is not hurting for cash either.

Getting a briefing on the local customs, and trying to be a good guest may help the 'image' of the US or the military over there, but really it is trying to keep the individual service member from a HUGE amount of inconvenience and legal issues if they do something against the Bahraini laws. Whether or not I agree with how they observe their holiday, it is their country, their government and their laws ...

I am sure a foreign military member stationed in the US who did something we found objectionable on the 4th of July, Sept 11th etc. would make headline news as well. The big difference is in the US the foreign guest would likely just be breaking rules of decorum and not the law.

garhkal
06-28-2014, 06:24 AM
Part of the reason i feel some think this is BS< is cause when their folk are over in our country, we seem to bend over backwards to accommodate THEM, but they force us to accommodate their ways when we are in their country.

sandsjames
06-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Part of the reason i feel some think this is BS< is cause when their folk are over in our country, we seem to bend over backwards to accommodate THEM, but they force us to accommodate their ways when we are in their country.

I used to feel this way too. But after thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that this is something we should be proud of. It's what made this the land of opportunity.

And I don't think we generally "accommodate" them (though there are some instances). I think we allow everyone to choose how they live.