PDA

View Full Version : Short Tour Leave Policy

Shadowless
06-24-2014, 02:45 AM
Does anyone know the official short tour leave policy? When someone is on a short tour assignment do they have to take a mid tour all at once? For example, does a person have to take a mid tour at a certain point or can they actually travel to Asian countries and take like one week at random times? Of course this all assumes the manning is fine and the mission will not suffer because of it. I know the policy is no more then 30 days off pen at a time but do you have to take all 30 days at once or can you spread it out as much as you desire?

Any feedback or information would be appreciated.

LogDog
06-24-2014, 03:13 AM
Does anyone know the official short tour leave policy? When someone is on a short tour assignment do they have to take a mid tour all at once? For example, does a person have to take a mid tour at a certain point or can they actually travel to Asian countries and take like one week at random times? Of course this all assumes the manning is fine and the mission will not suffer because of it. I know the policy is no more then 30 days off pen at a time but do you have to take all 30 days at once or can you spread it out as much as you desire?

When I was in Korea, '91-'92, people asked the same question. The answer was there is no such thing as short tour leave and whether or not you get leave is dependent upon the mission and manning.

pocketkings
06-24-2014, 11:47 AM

I was at Kunsan 2010-2011 and was able to break up my leave in two increments, 4 months in and 9 months in. The rule, then, was you couldn't take leave in your DEROS month and you couldn't take over 30 days, as you stated above. Had friends that would take a week here and there throughout their tour.

Chief_KO
06-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Plus there is usually a policy in place that no more than 1/3 of any org can be on leave at any time. Leave was well managed, but I never knew anyone that was denied leave...although their desired dates were sometimes shifted a week or so.
Biggest issue in Korea is not relying solely on Space A...saw a few folks get in trouble for not getting back on time.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-24-2014, 12:42 PM
When you take leave is up to your boss....or bigger boss. Same as anywhere else. Annual Leave is annual leave.

BENDER56
06-24-2014, 05:34 PM
I doubt there exists any one, official, AF-wide leave policy for short tours. AFI 36-3003 is the only official AF-wide policy. As Flaps said, leave is leave.

However, It seems likely that a short tour location could have a supplement that delineates further guidelines. If you don't know how to find such guidance at your location, ask your supervisor, 1st Sgt, or commander's support staff (if those still exist).

When I was at Thule, we could take up to five weeks of leave during our year-long tour. How you broke it up was up to you. I took two separate leaves -- one of three weeks and one of two. Our XO lived in Baltimore (where our weekly rotator flew out of) and took five leaves of one week each.

Cache Trogle
06-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Same deal at Osan '10-11. The biggest eye opener to me was that you had to pay for travel. The rotator stopped for part of my tour.
I went ahead and bought my own tickets. Roundtrip Seoul to SFO cost me about $700. I thought it was worth it when I factored in (1. I would have had to pay for travel from SeaTac to California / 2. Not having to rely on rotator gave me the opportunity to pick my own travel dates. Well worth it.)

And there was no leave policy that really looked any different from a normal tour.
I think on other tours, like a desert 365, the msn dictates that you go home for 30days for both a recharge and as an incentive.
Korea is just like a home station, if not in many aspects, better.

wxjumper
07-02-2014, 03:32 PM
The official policy is whatever policy the Commander gives you when you arrive.