PDA

View Full Version : Help me & my children travel to the Vietnam War Memorial to see my father's name

TaraOGrady
06-10-2014, 08:38 AM
4/24/14 Devastated today~ I put so much work and effort over the past few years into getting my dad Col. O'Grady POW/MIA from Vietnam home for a proper burial with full military honors and all hope is now gone.
It has been a roller coaster ride of emotions for so many years. For 40 years we had no information, not even sure if he was alive or dead.. Finally we were given information that he survived the plane crash & been captured. he later died and his captors told our government where he was buried, In May 2012 JPAC went to the site and started excavating the site. Then I was misled by my older sister, who called me from Vietnam stating he had been found, Two days later I discover that was not true and JPAC had suspended the excavation.
Then I worked tirelessly for 2 years to get JPAC to return to the site and finish the excavation. I started petitions, websites, events and put hundreds of hours into spreading the word. They went back in Early May 2014 and just finished yesterday.
Now they tell me they are closing the site permanently because they did not find anything. All hope is gone for ever finding my dad, he will now stay in an unmarked grave 8,000 miles away, and I will never get my funeral and goodbye.
I really wanted my dad to be returned to American soil. His last letter said he wanted to come home more than anything else in the world. I tried to bring you home daddy. Sorry I failed. I am trying to at least go to the Vietnam Wall to see his name, you can help me fund that trip at go fund. This hit me harder than I ever thought it would.
http://www.gofundme.com/coloneljohnogrady

Absinthe Anecdote
06-10-2014, 11:32 AM
While I have the utmost respect for Colonel John O'Grady's service and sacrifice for our country, I'm not sure that you are going about this request for funding the right way.

I suggest that you change the thread title to read only, Colonel John O'Grady. Then post a bio of his career, and a description of his last mission.

Do not ask for funds directly in this thread as you are currently doing, but merely have links to your fund raising website.

I think you should also approach the local chapters of the VFW and American Legion for help in raising funds.

The way you have this thread set up currently might rub people the wrong way.

Create a thread that pays tribute to your father, and do not ask for funds directly.

I would be 100 times more likely to make a small donation to fund your trip if you approached it in this manner.

I am a little offended by the way you are currently asking for money.

Please consider revising this thread.

I will be forever grateful for Colonel John O'Grady's sacrifice, and I sincerely hope that JPAC is able to recover his remains one day.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-14-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm glad to see you added more information about Colonel O'Grady to your original post.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Your goal is $1500, which doesn't seem to be too out of reach. What part of the country are you going to travel from? How many kids are you taking? Are they minors or adults? How long do you want to stay in DC during this trip?

Absinthe Anecdote
06-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Your goal is $1500, which doesn't seem to be too out of reach. What part of the country are you going to travel from? How many kids are you taking? Are they minors or adults? How long do you want to stay in DC during this trip?

All great points!

I'd like to also suggest that the DC Chapters of VFW and the American Legion could be approached to cover lodging and transport expenses.

This might actually help you obtain your real goal of visiting the Vietnam Memorial faster than by asking for merely cash donations.