PDA

View Full Version : New VA scheduling?

sandsjames
06-09-2014, 09:35 PM
I just got a call for my VA medical evaluation. I submitted my papers last October. Initially I was supposed to be getting scheduled through the VA hospital in Oklahoma City (about 2 hours away) but they called today to schedule an appointment with a "local provider". Apparently, they are scheduling with a "contract" provider at local hospitals.

Is this a new thing or have others had this in the past?

I'm curious as to whether this is the new method for getting rid of the backlog with all the recent bad publicity the VA has had.

Either way, it's going to make things much easier for me to not to have to drive 120 miles to get the evaluation.

Funny that we were just discussing this option recently in another thread.

efmbman
06-09-2014, 10:33 PM
It's a combination of all of the above. It's not specifically in response to the backlog of appointments (wait lists) nor will have an impact on the resolution of claims (that's VBA, not VHA). At least that's what I have heard in the halls at my VAMC.

sandsjames
06-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Just saw this morning that a bill was passed on this very thing, so I guess it does have to do with the current situations. Anyone who has to travel more than 40 miles can now see a non-VA doctor.