PDA

View Full Version : Free pass?

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 12:19 AM
Why is it Jonah Hill gets a free pass? Forgiven so quickly...

To be clear, I don't care what he said...doesn't bother me, people are overly PC. But why is it all he has to do is apologize and everything is forgotten?

TJMAC77SP
06-06-2014, 12:49 AM

To be clear, I don't care what he said...doesn't bother me, people are overly PC. But why is it all he has to do is apologize and everything is forgotten?

I thought he said something so horrible as to be criminal.

I am not gay but is it really that horrible to have someone respond to a guy that has stalked you all day long and verbally taunted you by saying "Suck my dick faggot"?

That is a serious question btw. Not to you SJ but perhaps someone else could answer that.

grimreaper
06-06-2014, 12:53 AM

If I had to guess...because he a Hollywood liberal? I don't know that to be fact, but considering most are, I am making the assumption. Why do I feel safe making that assumption?...because if he was a known conservative, you know he wouldn't be let off quite so easily.

Remember, it's OK when they do it.

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 01:12 AM
If I had to guess...because he a Hollywood liberal? I don't know that to be fact, but considering most are, I am making the assumption. Why do I feel safe making that assumption?...because if he was a known conservative, you know he wouldn't be let off quite so easily.

Remember, it's OK when they do it.

That's what I was thinking, too...but then I thought of it this way...If he had said the "N" word instead he would be in a heap of shit.

I think the reason is that, although all the PC people like to talk about how homophobic and offensive that word it, they really don't believe it. It's just the "right side" to be on. If the Hollywood and media liberals really found it offensive, the circumstances around him using it wouldn't matter. Again, replace the "F" word with the "N" word and imagine the outcome.

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 01:13 AM
I thought he said something so horrible as to be criminal.

I am not gay but is it really that horrible to have someone respond to a guy that has stalked you all day long and verbally taunted you by saying "Suck my dick faggot"?

That is a serious question btw. Not to you SJ but perhaps someone else could answer that.

I don't think it is. But I also don't think it's that bad to call someone a retard if they are being stupid.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-06-2014, 02:22 AM
"Suck my dick, faggot"

It isn't really that good of an insult, it is only one level above saying, "Give me a reach-around, faggot"

Besides, if Jonah Hill is willing to stick his cock in a faggots's mouth, that's his business.

We shouldn't be passing judgement on him for that.

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 02:46 AM
"Suck my dick, faggot"

It isn't really that good of an insult, it is only one level above saying, "Give me a reach-around, faggot"

Besides, if Jonah Hill is willing to stick his cock in a faggots's mouth, that's his business.

We shouldn't be passing judgement on him for that.

We're talking about the use of the word. If people are as offended by that word as they are by the "N" word and as supportive of the gay community as they say, then why is it not an issue?

Absinthe Anecdote
06-06-2014, 03:53 AM
We're talking about the use of the word. If people are as offended by that word as they are by the "N" word and as supportive of the gay community as they say, then why is it not an issue?

Why are you bringing the N word into this?

It isn't even close to being the same thing. I'm offended that you are even comparing the two.

It is almost as if you are saying that N words and F words are the same thing, which doesn't make a lick of sense.

What Jonah Hill said isn't even half as offensive as the comparison you are making.

I think you owe a lot of people an apology, and perhaps a reach-around.

Moyen Escadrille
06-06-2014, 04:39 AM

It isn't even close to being the same thing. I'm offended that you are even comparing the two.

It is almost as if you are saying that N words and F words are the same thing, which doesn't make a lick of sense.

What Jonah Hill said isn't even half as offensive as the comparison you are making.

Faggot - informal offensive

A contemptuous term for a male homosexual

Nigger - informal offensive

A contemptuous term for black or dark-skinned person

Spic - informal offensive

A contemptuous term for a Spanish speaking person from Central or South America or the Caribbean

Kike - informal offensive

A contemptuous term for a Jewish person

Should I go on?

Do you see a pattern forming? Offensive is offensive but what you find offensive might not be offensive to others. Personally I can't stand it when someone says faggot where I work and I politely tell them to cease from saying that as well as any other type of bigotry. I have many gay members in my family and do see it as derogitory as nigger or any other word in that falls into that type of speak. I will even go as far to say that dyke is offensive as well. For you to say that faggot and nigger aren't equally offensive shows what kind of person you are.

Certain types of hate and bigotry are okay in your eyes.

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 11:43 AM

LOL...nice...

Media has made us try to believe the words have the same impact. Media has tried to compare the "civil rights" issues of gays comparable to the civil rights issues of blacks.

I'd love to hear your honest, non tongue in cheek answer to how the comparisons can be made, yet the use of the most degrading word for one group doesn't compare to the most degrading word for the other.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-06-2014, 02:08 PM
LOL...nice...

Media has made us try to believe the words have the same impact. Media has tried to compare the "human rights" issues of gays comparable to the human rights issues of blacks.

I'd love to hear your honest, non tongue in cheek answer to how the comparisons can be made, yet the use of the most degrading word for one group doesn't compare to the most degrading word for the other.

Tongue-in-cheek?

You just can't stop yourself from making obtuse sexual references with me, can you? I'm kind of used to it, after all, I'm a handsome, charismatic guy and I'm used to people of all types of races, creeds, and genders trying to get me in the sack. Sorry SJ, you aren't my type, you'll need to hit the gym and get that lean & cut look before I would even consider it. Plus, do something about that wardrobe! I know you think buying your clothes from Target puts you on a higher social rung than the Walmart crowd, but it doesn't. Mosey on down to the expensive end of the mall, Nordstrom's or at least Banana Republic. Don't get your hopes up, I'm way out of your league.

Ok, I'll step out of character to answer your question in a moment, but before I do, let's clarify some of the terms you are using.

You used the term human rights, but I think you should have said civil rights. In the context of the conversation, civil rights is more appropriate. When you say media, I think you mean news media. Now that we have that settled, on to your question.

It is very simple to see why a gay rights group would pressure a Hollywood celebrity into making a public apology. It is an easy victory for them, no matter how small and insignificant that victory is, it creates publicity for them and puts their agenda in the spotlight.

As far as linking gay rights to the civil rights movement of African Americans, it is easy to see why LGBT activists would want the two linked. After all, equal employment rights and marriage rights, are indeed basic civil rights. LGBT activists are no doubt envious of the power and influence the the African American civil rights movement wields.

Now let's talk about the N word and the F word in the arena of public opinion. Both are clearly derogatory slurs, but the F word just doesn't carry the negative stigma that the N word does.

Why? The F word has not had the spotlight put on it they way the N word has in the past 60 years. When I say spotlight, I mean it in the sense of how the issue is portrayed across the spectrum of news, film, literature, music, academia, and politics.

What does all that equate to in terms of public opinion for usage of the N word? It carries an extreme negative stigma and is even considered taboo in most settings. It's use is only socially acceptable in very narrow settings and by only a few cultural groups.

The F word clearly doesn't carry such a stigma across the spectrum of American culture. LGBT activists want to change that, but they have a long way to go before it is on par with the N word.

The news media is merely covering the Jonah Hill story, but from their perspective, the story doesn't have legs. It's only worth one or two days coverage unless another aspect develops.

It is true that news media outlets have political and social agendas of their own, but they are largely driven by ratings. They simply can not generate the amount of coverage on the Jonah Hill story as they can on the Donald Sterling story because the public opinion that will equate to high ratings isn't there. Hence, the story has no legs.

There are many voices in our culture; true, the news media is a voice of it's own, but they report and comment own various segments of our culture.

While most news outlets are supportive of the LGBT cause from an editorial perspective, they still operate on ratings.

Hope you enjoyed that, but I'd better get back in character.

When you say, "Media has made us try to believe the words have the same impact." You aren't developing your sentences very well.

If you ever hope to stand a chance of getting tongue-in-cheek with a guy like me, you need to be articulate in addition to being cut and well dressed.

Oh, by all means go get a manicure! All that oil and grease under your finger nails from those small generators and light-all carts you work on is disgusting.

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Ok, I'll step out of character to answer your question in a moment, but before I do, let's clarify some of the terms you are using.

You used the term human rights, but I think you should have said civil rights. In the context of the conversation, civil rights is more appropriate. Actually, if you take a look, I caught my mistake and edited it to "civil rights" before your post.

I don't dispute anything you said here. I do believe, however, that if it had been Mel Gibson instead of Jonah Hill it would have driven a much larger backlash

Oh, by all means go get a manicure! All that oil and grease under your finger nails from those small generators and light-all carts you work on is disgusting.I've said this to my wife several times. They aren't as small as you think.

Now I'm trying to figure out which of my posts got deleted and why...

Absinthe Anecdote
06-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Actually, if you take a look, I caught my mistake and edited it to "civil rights" before your post.

I don't dispute anything you said here. I do believe, however, that if it had been Mel Gibson instead of Jonah Hill it would have driven a much larger backlash

If Mel Gibson had said, "Suck my dick, faggot" it would have driven a more vehement response from LGBT activists and supporters.

Given Mel Gibson's history of drunken anti-semitic rants it might have got a little more coverage, but I don't think it would have stayed in the news more than a day or two.

Why? A story like that doesn't have legs.

You should really get off the AM Radio talk show host narrative that mainstream media is biased for liberals.

Stop parroting Hannity & Limbaugh talking points and think for yourself.

I've said this to my wife several times. They aren't as small as you think.

Now I'm trying to figure out which of my posts got deleted and why...

Oh god, you've got size envy issues too. Why am I not surprised?

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 05:28 PM
If Mel Gibson had said, "Suck my dick, faggot" it would have driven a more vehement response from LGBT activists and supporters.

Given Mel Gibson's history of drunken anti-semitic rants it might have got a little more coverage, but I don't think it would have stayed in the news more than a day or two.

Why? A story like that doesn't have legs.

You should really get off the AM Radio talk show host narrative that mainstream media is biased for liberals.

Stop parroting Hannity & Limbaugh talking points and think for yourself. Don't forget about Beck.

Oh god, you've got size envy issues too. Why am I not surprised?No, she has the issues with it, not me.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Don't forget about Beck.

No, she has the issues with it, not me.

Is Glen Beck your "go to" guy? I haven't watched him since he left Fox and went to the internet, although I do check out The Blaze once in a while.

If I am reading you correctly, your real beef is that there is an organized effort to vilify anyone who is conservative or Christian in the news media.

I concede that one can certainly predict what the editorial reaction will be from a particular news outlet whenever a conservative makes a gaffe or gets into trouble.

I would hardly frame that as a ominous underlying secret, as you appear to be doing. Partisan coverage of the news dates back to the earliest days of newspapers in this country.

Although print media is in decline, newspapers have always openly endorsed political candidates and social causes. It is nothing new and it is hardly hidden.

Rhetoric is clearly part of human communication, it is one of the ways we try to determine what is salient in any discussion.

He who sets the salient points of a discussion, controls the agenda.

Both American political parties are firmly entrenched in American news media. The left and the right each have sympathetic outlets in their camps. The left has a few more, depending on how one defines left and right.

I submit to you that the real flaw (if there is a flaw) is our two party system in American politics, not a biased news media.

You certainly don't expect news outlets to be devoid of any opinion, do you?

When Mel Gibson drunkenly bad mouthed Jews a few years ago, news outlets reported it and then commented on it according to their editorial opinion.

When Jonah Hill said, "Suck my dick, faggot" news outlets reported it and then commented on it according to their editorial opinion.

Why are you trying to characterize it as something unfair?

PS

If you want a fun exercise, pick a few news outlets at random and then look up their parent companies. In some cases you have to trace it back a few steps.

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Is Glen Beck your "go to" guy? I haven't watched him since he left Fox and went to the internet, although I do check out The Blaze once in a while. Probably heard him 3 times in my life

If I am reading you correctly, your real beef is that there is an organized effort to vilify anyone who is conservative or Christian in the news media. No

I concede that one can certainly predict what the editorial reaction will be from a particular news outlet whenever a conservative makes a gaffe or gets into trouble.

I would hardly frame that as a ominous underlying secret, as you appear to be doing. Partisan coverage of the news dates back to the earliest days of newspapers in this country.

Although print media is in decline, newspapers have always openly endorsed political candidates and social causes. It is nothing new and it is hardly hidden.

Rhetoric is clearly part of human communication, it is one of the ways we try to determine what is salient in any discussion.

He who sets the salient points of a discussion, controls the agenda.

Both American political parties are firmly entrenched in American news media. The left and the right each have sympathetic outlets in their camps. The left has a few more, depending on how one defines left and right.

I submit to you that the real flaw (if there is a flaw) is our two party system in American politics, not a biased news media.

You certainly don't expect news outlets to be devoid of any opinion, do you?

When Mel Gibson drunkenly bad mouthed Jews a few years ago, news outlets reported it and then commented on it according to their editorial opinion.

When Jonah Hill said, "Suck my dick, faggot" news outlets reported it and then commented on it according to their editorial opinion.

Why are you trying to characterize it as something unfair?

PS

If you want a fun exercise, pick a few news outlets at random and then look up their parent companies. In some cases you have to trace it back a few steps.

I'm not talking about anything being unfair. I don't think any of these instances are news. And I'm not really even talking about the news stations reporting on it. I'm talking about the way Hollywood has so quickly accepted it, and the apology. No comments from the usual suspects like Sean Penn and his ilk. So it's not the "news" media that irritates me. It's the double standard that the LGBT supporters of Hollywood are using.

Personally, I'm glad there wasn't a big issue made out of it. As long as they don't make a big deal out of similar things from people they don't like.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Probably heard him 3 times in my life

No

I'm not talking about anything being unfair. I don't think any of these instances are news. And I'm not really even talking about the news stations reporting on it. I'm talking about the way Hollywood has so quickly accepted it, and the apology. No comments from the usual suspects like Sean Penn and his ilk. So it's not the "news" media that irritates me. It's the double standard that the LGBT supporters of Hollywood are using.

Personally, I'm glad there wasn't a big issue made out of it. As long as they don't make a big deal out of similar things from people they don't like.

Ok Pal,

You know I enjoy bantering about topics with you, but in this case, you sure as hell did a crummy job explaining yourself when you set up the thread.

From the cryptic thread title of Free Pass? To the OP being devoid of any links and it lacked any sort of coherent explanation of who the fuck you were irritated with. Plus, a couple of posts ago you did reference the news media, now it is Hollywood. WTF?

The Gwyneth Paltrow thread is just as bad.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to give you two demerits for these shoddy threads.

It is almost like a LPOS created them, you'd better hope that General Mattis doesn't come along and knife-hand you for these lousy threads.

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Ok Pal,

You know I enjoy bantering about topics with you, but in this case, you sure as hell did a crummy job explaining yourself when you set up the thread.

From the cryptic thread title of Free Pass? To the OP being devoid of any links and it lacked any sort of coherent explanation of who the fuck you were irritated with. Plus, a couple of posts ago you did reference the news media, now it is Hollywood. WTF?

The Gwyneth Paltrow thread is just as bad.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to give you two demerits for these shoddy threads.

It is almost like a LPOS created them, you'd better hope that General Mattis doesn't come along and knife-hand you for these lousy threads.

I disagree completely. I think I set up the threads perfectly. It was done in such a way that I could easily flip-flop depending on the conversations that arose.

As far as General Mattis and his LPOS thoughts, he can KMBWA.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-06-2014, 09:29 PM
I disagree completely. I think I set up the threads perfectly. It was done in such a way that I could easily flip-flop depending on the conversations that arose.

As far as General Mattis and his LPOS thoughts, he can KMBWA.

Once again, you have been thoroughly trounced in a thread. I also, steamrolled you in the Seattle thread today.

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Once again, you have been thoroughly trounced in a thread. I also, steamrolled you in the Seattle thread today.

You're on fire. You must have refreshed yourself while you were away.