PDA

View Full Version : Don't Get Out Of The Military And Become A Lazy Piece Of $#!+

Rusty Jones
06-04-2014, 04:24 PM
http://taskandpurpose.com/dont-get-military-become-lazy-piece-shit/

When you leave the military, resist the temptation to become a lazy piece of shit, or as I like to call it, an LPOS.

It’s so easy to do, you may not even realize it’s happening. The civilian world makes you soft, it infects you with that “anything goes” mindset that dangles an easy life right in front of your face. Don’t be fooled. If you’re not careful you’ll wake up one morning as a LPOS.

And that’s when General Mattis pops out of bushes and knifehands you. I’ve seen it: scary stuff.

No one wants to be an LPOS. It happens gradually, innocently — you’ll never see it coming. You stop working out, and gain a few pounds. You stop shaving regularly, or grow out a lumberjack beard. Then you discover a love of season-bombing on Netflix or HBO Go. The momentum builds.

A lot of this is a natural reaction to the systematic retardation that is the United States military. No one should stop you from enjoying your honeymoon period — embrace it. The problem is that you stop doing all the good stuff you learned, too. People value the skills you picked up; don’t discard them like a used condom. Employers want to hire folks who are flexible, show initiative, work well in teams, and all that happy horseshit.

Those skills matter. Without them you’re nothing. Don’t start thinking like an entitled veteran (more on that later). At that point, buddy, you’re on track to become a LPOS.

Getting out isn’t easy, we all know that. You may have done it once or twice, but I bet I got you beat. I left the Marine Corps three times: active duty in 2005, then the Individual Ready Reserve after an involuntary recall in 2008, and one last time (for Chesty) in the IRR in 2011. It got to the point where I knew the Transition Assistance Program class material better than the instructor, not that it helped much.

I did learn some stuff that’s useful, though. Turns out that the transition strategy everyone talks about — the resume you write, the college you go to, the profession you choose — matters a hell of a lot less than the tactics. It’s all about the fundamentals. Put one foot in front of the other.

This should makes sense to any noncommissioned officers out there. Get the little things right and a lot of the other stuff takes care of itself. Keep the shit that matters wired tight. You can have dust on the outside of your weapon, but the bolt assembly better be clean.

The military is a structured place. Like all of us, that’s probably part of the reason why you hate it. It’s the same way you think about a girlfriend right when you’re breaking up: All you see is flaws and faults. You just want to be out, to be done.

“After all,” you might say, “Why shouldn’t people be able to get up at the crack of noon, take a quick hit or sip a beer, and play video games until dinner? That’s what we fought for. That’s the American way.”

I get it, man. I really do.

Problem is, the same military habits that you love to complain about also help out a lot once you’re flying solo. Good habits are the equivalent of momentum, they keep you going. Everybody needs some of that, and it’s hard to keep up momentum when there aren’t consequences for your laziness.

In the civilian world, anything goes. That’s a blessing in some sense: There are no inspections, no one yells at you, you can leave when you don’t want to stand in a line, the list goes on.

But it can also be a curse. People complain without any good reason, everybody is hella fat, people dress like they just rolled out of bed. Pretty soon you’ll realize the sad truth: America is losing its edge.

Why? Lots of civilians are LPOSs, and they drag down the rest of us. The civilian sector craps out LPOSs like they were going out style. Don’t become one of them.

A LPOS doesn’t have a routine. He just slimes through life. You can be sure to find him on the path of least resistance, whether that’s being a C student in community college (or the ever-popular American military universities of the world) or trying to scam a PTSD rating from the VA by researching symptoms online before his claims appointment.

“That will never be me,” you think, or maybe you straight up mutter “Fuck you, bro — I was a Marine/soldier/whatever.” My response to that is I know a lot of vets who are LPOSs, and they hide behind their service when called out.

I’m not saying you’re going to be like that, but that’s the flavor of the month for vets. Chances are, you’re pretty entitled — I know I am.

You think your service makes you a big deal, like there aren’t over two million other people who deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan just like you. You are one of the crowd, so you better start working to stand out.

Time for some ground truth, brothers and sisters. Civilians don’t care what you did in the military. Not really, anyway. Saying “Thank you for your service” means precisely dick. They aren’t going to give you a job, or do your homework, or take care of your kids. Sack up — life isn’t any easier in the civilian world, it’s just different. You need to take a lot more responsibility for your actions today, and in the future, precisely because there is so much freedom.

There is also one more thing you should know, but it’s a secret.

Come closer.

Are you listening? Good.

YOU DON’T GET PAID TO BE A CIVILIAN.

Treseder out.

...thoughts?

AJBIGJ
06-04-2014, 04:28 PM

...thoughts?

Blunt, a bit terse, definitely not political, but not incorrect either.

Rusty Jones
06-04-2014, 04:32 PM
I actually envy the people who have the ability to do this... i.e., those who managed to stay single during their stint.

Admittedly, had I stayed single and only did one term, I'd have likely moved back in with my parents not really giving two shits what I'd be doing for a living.

AJBIGJ
06-04-2014, 04:39 PM
I actually envy the people who have the ability to do this... i.e., those who managed to stay single during their stint.

Admittedly, had I stayed single and only did one term, I'd have likely moved back in with my parents not really giving two shits what I'd be doing for a living.

I will say, the wife and kids aspect definitely add constraints towards ones choices after transitioning. A big one are the constraints placed on ones ability to relocate. If you've bought a house and have a kid in school it adds stress that could otherwise be avoided. Unfortunately being unable to relocate is a major handicap when the transition does occur. There are some more difficult choices that are made available afterwards about whether to go the austerity route with the potential paycut or play ones hand as a geo-bachelor, or hope to find a way to handle the house and relocation while already under budgetary stressors.

TSgt"M"
06-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Very true, hope its not to late for me!

Rusty Jones
06-04-2014, 05:40 PM
I blew up when I got out. I'm 6'0", and I blew up to 285. I got back down to 185; since I stopped driving taxis back in October.

sandsjames
06-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Some good stuff and some bad.

The good: The truth about the feeling of entitlement that many vets have.

The bad: The assumption that most of us rely on the structure the military gave us or that the transition is difficult.

Oh...and life is MUCH easier in the civilian world...just my opinion.

AJBIGJ
06-04-2014, 05:59 PM
The bad: The assumption that most of us rely on the structure the military gave us or that the transition is difficult.

Let's be fair, there is a statistical backing towards such a statement, veteran unemployment tends to be higher, and for our relative ages we tend to be less savvy on marketing ourselves with a robust resume. This is a generalization that holds certain merit.

sandsjames
06-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Let's be fair, there is a statistical backing towards such a statement, veteran unemployment tends to be higher, and for our relative ages we tend to be less savvy on marketing ourselves with a robust resume. This is a generalization that holds certain merit.

My assumption was that he was speaking of the actual transition away from military life, structure, etc...not so much in the employment but in the "running your own life" area.

AJBIGJ
06-04-2014, 06:35 PM
My assumption was that he was speaking of the actual transition away from military life, structure, etc...not so much in the employment but in the "running your own life" area.

Also based in some modicum of truth, at least there are numbers of examples supporting that assertion, like any generalization it's only true until it's not.

Rainmaker
06-04-2014, 06:40 PM

...thoughts?

Excellent. This guy pretty much nails it with this statement.

"People complain without any good reason, everybody is hella fat, people dress like they just rolled out of bed. Pretty soon you’ll realize the sad truth: America is losing its edge."

Part of the TAP briefing should be a half day long field trip to the DMV in any large metro area. You should have to sit there with the shitbags of Honey boo boo America and then at the end the instructor says ' you know better. so, don't be like this".

sandsjames
06-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Also based in some modicum of truth, at least there are numbers of examples supporting that assertion, like any generalization it's only true until it's not.

I can only speak from personal experience and know that when I retired I had no issues being away from any of it. Not once did I struggle with, or miss, any part of it. I know some people are stressed out once they leave. I never had less stress in my life than waking up on June 24th, 2013, knowing that I could do as I pleased.

Of course I did get dragged back into it when I got a phone call telling me there was a position open and that I should apply.

AJBIGJ
06-04-2014, 06:58 PM
I can only speak from personal experience and know that when I retired I had no issues being away from any of it. Not once did I struggle with, or miss, any part of it. I know some people are stressed out once they leave. I never had less stress in my life than waking up on June 24th, 2013, knowing that I could do as I pleased.

Of course I did get dragged back into it when I got a phone call telling me there was a position open and that I should apply.

Yeah, it's one of those things you have to run the whole gamut of airmen, sailors, soldiers, marines, coasties, what-have-you and keep it in consideration. One has to take into consideration all of those who can't even complete their first enlistment before their BCD all the way to the thirty-five year retiring brass. If a person can't make it in regularly to a muster, clean-shaven, in the appropriate uniform at an appointed time one has to wonder how they'll handle themselves when they don't have things laid out in neatly ordered steps out for them. For those who've been married, living out in town, paying rent/mortgage, utilities, etc. it's usually not quite the culture shock it is for some others.

Rusty Jones
06-04-2014, 08:05 PM
It is entirely possible that the military itself could be responsible for such mentalities after they get out.

Most slobs I know (my ex-wife, for example) had parents who were Monk-type germophobic neat-freaks (I was afraid to touch anything when I was at their house).

If external motivation is the primary motivator to get something done, then nothing gets done when that external motivation is taken away. And with the constant threats of NJPs and liberty being taken away, external motivation is king in the military.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
06-05-2014, 02:12 AM

...thoughts?

I draw a well-earned pension, so yeah, I get paid to be a civilian...and a non-working one if I choose.

ChiefAD
06-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Funny, that the former Devil Dog uses an overweight Army Doggie to illustrate his point. :)

Moyen Escadrille
06-06-2014, 01:32 AM
I think he is painting the civilian populace with a pretty broad brush. Now with that being said there are plenty of Honey Boo-Boo, sweat pant wearing, Wal-Mart cruising, wife-beater wearing, fatties out there in the civilian world. Guess what, there is plenty of that in the military since the military is just a smaller sub-set of the society that is out there. Yes I get it that the military has standards set forth for grooming and physical fitness but we have all seen that airman fresh out of tech school that fears the 1.5 mile run, push-ups and sit-ups. How about that SNCO or 20+ year officer that has a belly that rivals Octomom during her days of pumping out litters? The PT test is a joke yet people in this "physically fit" military fear it.

There is plenty of structure as well in the civilian world and it also depends on your job as well. You have a time to be there, accomplish tasks, meet deadlines and clock out. Yes you don't get paid to be a civilian but you get paid to do your job as a civilian. In the military you aren't paid to put on the uniform you are paid to accomplish the job that is within your MOS/AFSC. Yes the military is not hourly it is salary and because of that members get paid leave, paid on days of quarters and such. With that also comes the tempation of cutting out early on a Friday or coming in late on a Monday since your pay won't be docked at all. We've all done it at some point. I have yet to have a Sexual Assault stand down day at my civilian job. I hope we don't have one because I won't get paid.

How many of us have grown that beard on leave, not shaved on the weekends, worn our peircings while off duty and lounged around in sweatpants all day on the weekend? Plenty of us have but I am sure one person in here adheres to all standards 24/7 as well as all the core values day and night. I'll call BS on you now so save your breath.

All in all I think it depends on what class of people you are looking at when coming the conclusions the writer has reached. If you cruise Wal-Mart in Mobile Alabama you are probably going to see a bunch of NASCAR fans with old beat up pick up trucks that haul their 8 kids (Cuz that's Dale Jr's number) and fat wife around.

If you go to a Macy's in Beverly Hills you won't see that. You may see the occasional fatty but most of the time they are drinking wheat grass and eating salads with no dressing. The military as a whole is a sub-set of the working middle class of America. When we get out we go back to the class and see what the civilian side of that is. It's the knuckle busting, beer drinking, pay check to pay check living family. I can see why the writer thinks how thinks. If I went back to where I grew up I would see it. Instead I live in a big city, walk to my job and live in the lower upper class society. I see a different side I guess.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-06-2014, 02:32 PM
My favorite line in the OP was the part about General Mattis jumping out of the bushes to knife-hand you.

I wasn't a Marine, but I was in a briefing room with him at CENTCOM years ago. He is a very impressive individual and capable of verbally demolishing an unprepared briefer.

I read a book about the 2003 invasion of Iraq and General Mattis knife-hand several field commanders also.

You certainly don't want someone like General Mattis thinking you are a LPOS.

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 02:58 PM
My favorite line in the OP was the part about General Mattis jumping out of the bushes to knife-hand you.

I wasn't a Marine, but I was in a briefing room with him at CENTCOM years ago. He is a very impressive individual and capable of verbally demolishing an unprepared briefer.

I read a book about the 2003 invasion of Iraq and General Mattis knife-hand several field commanders also.

You're right. I wake up every morning concerned with what General Mattis (whoever the hell he is) thinks of me.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-06-2014, 03:55 PM
You're right. I wake up every morning concerned with what General Mattis (whoever the hell he is) thinks of me.

Trust me, you don't want a bad mother fucker like General Mattis knowing who you are because you screwed something up.

I realize it is probably hard for a glorified AGE mechanic mechanic to relate to having your shit together.

If you forget to put gas in that tiny Briggs & Stratton engine, all you have to do is go grab a five gallon can off the truck and fill it up before your supervisor figures out what happened.

Things are a bit more complicated outside the small generator and lawn mower engine repair shop.

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Trust me, you don't want a bad mother fucker like General Mattis knowing who you are because you screwed something up.

I realize it is probably hard for a glorified AGE mechanic mechanic to relate to having your shit together. "Mechanic mechanic? Yeah...that is something I could never be.

If you forget to put gas in that tiny Briggs & Stratton engine, all you have to do is go grab a five gallon can off the truck and fill it up before your supervisor figures out what happened.

Things are a bit more complicated outside the small generator and lawn mower engine repair shop.

Briggs and Stratton? We can't afford that shit. Plus, they are a little overkill for what we deal with. All that's really needed is something to power up the coffee pot and the Xbox.

Rainmaker
06-08-2014, 04:30 PM

so, Rainmaker just realized Abs be an Intel weenie! Let's argue both sides of a wet paper bag and at the end of the day tell them just what they thought in the first place. It all makes perfect sense now.

Rainmaker
06-08-2014, 04:32 PM
I think he is painting the civilian populace with a pretty broad brush. Now with that being said there are plenty of Honey Boo-Boo, sweat pant wearing, Wal-Mart cruising, wife-beater wearing, fatties out there in the civilian world. Guess what, there is plenty of that in the military since the military is just a smaller sub-set of the society that is out there. Yes I get it that the military has standards set forth for grooming and physical fitness but we have all seen that airman fresh out of tech school that fears the 1.5 mile run, push-ups and sit-ups. How about that SNCO or 20+ year officer that has a belly that rivals Octomom during her days of pumping out litters? The PT test is a joke yet people in this "physically fit" military fear it.

There is plenty of structure as well in the civilian world and it also depends on your job as well. You have a time to be there, accomplish tasks, meet deadlines and clock out. Yes you don't get paid to be a civilian but you get paid to do your job as a civilian. In the military you aren't paid to put on the uniform you are paid to accomplish the job that is within your MOS/AFSC. Yes the military is not hourly it is salary and because of that members get paid leave, paid on days of quarters and such. With that also comes the tempation of cutting out early on a Friday or coming in late on a Monday since your pay won't be docked at all. We've all done it at some point. I have yet to have a Sexual Assault stand down day at my civilian job. I hope we don't have one because I won't get paid.

How many of us have grown that beard on leave, not shaved on the weekends, worn our peircings while off duty and lounged around in sweatpants all day on the weekend? Plenty of us have but I am sure one person in here adheres to all standards 24/7 as well as all the core values day and night. I'll call BS on you now so save your breath.

All in all I think it depends on what class of people you are looking at when coming the conclusions the writer has reached. If you cruise Wal-Mart in Mobile Alabama you are probably going to see a bunch of NASCAR fans with old beat up pick up trucks that haul their 8 kids (Cuz that's Dale Jr's number) and fat wife around.

If you go to a Macy's in Beverly Hills you won't see that. You may see the occasional fatty but most of the time they are drinking wheat grass and eating salads with no dressing. The military as a whole is a sub-set of the working middle class of America. When we get out we go back to the class and see what the civilian side of that is. It's the knuckle busting, beer drinking, pay check to pay check living family. I can see why the writer thinks how thinks. If I went back to where I grew up I would see it. Instead I live in a big city, walk to my job and live in the lower upper class society. I see a different side I guess.

How would you define "lower upper class of society"? Do you live in D.C.?

Capt Alfredo
06-08-2014, 09:13 PM
so, Rainmaker just realized Abs be an Intel weenie! Let's argue both sides of a wet paper bag and at the end of the day tell them just what they thought in the first place. It all makes perfect sense now.

With all of AA's talk of Ft Meade and security clearance jobs and whatnot, and you're just NOW figuring this out? You, my friend, are obviously NOT an intel weenie.

Moyen Escadrille
06-08-2014, 09:56 PM
How would you define "lower upper class of society"? Do you live in D.C.?

No, I live on the canal in downtown Tampa. Is it as high end as DC? Absolutly not but there is a lot of money flowing down through that area and it shows by the class of people that are there in the downtown area. I very rarely see these blimped out LPOS that the OP posted about but I am sure they are around. A majority of the time it is well dressed business men and women who take great pride in how they represent themselves and who they work for. I don't consider myself to be the in anyform of upper class, it's just where I placed myself do to personal goals. Like I said, if I went back home to the mid-west I would see something totally different and I know it would be the shit kicking, wife beater wearing farm boys. Nothing wrong with that, just different locations bring in different types of people.

Rainmaker
06-09-2014, 02:58 AM
With all of AA's talk of Ft Meade and security clearance jobs and whatnot, and you're just NOW figuring this out? You, my friend, are obviously NOT an intel weenie.

Rainmaker a little slow on the uptake durin weekend benders

Chief_KO
06-09-2014, 03:42 AM
Isn't "Intel wienie" redundant?? (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Rainmaker
06-17-2014, 05:32 PM
No, I live on the canal in downtown Tampa. Is it as high end as DC? Absolutly not but there is a lot of money flowing down through that area and it shows by the class of people that are there in the downtown area. I very rarely see these blimped out LPOS that the OP posted about but I am sure they are around. A majority of the time it is well dressed business men and women who take great pride in how they represent themselves and who they work for. I don't consider myself to be the in anyform of upper class, it's just where I placed myself do to personal goals. Like I said, if I went back home to the mid-west I would see something totally different and I know it would be the shit kicking, wife beater wearing farm boys. Nothing wrong with that, just different locations bring in different types of people.

Rainmaker familiar with the "Upper class" Tampons South of Kennedy "who take great pride in how they represent themselves and who they work for". Areas been transformed by supplemental dollars and Housing bubble (neither of which is sustainable without massive debt) and Transplanted Yankees that started calling it Soho and ruined some quality good strip clubs wiff their silly "6 foot rule" attempt. Rainmaker now commute 45 miles to his Old Florida cracker house and property off a private marl road, complete with chickens and blonde haired, barefoot, Private school educated, Christian kids playing outside, where he can "kick shit in his wife beater shirt". good luck with your personal goals.

ConfusedAirman
06-18-2014, 01:12 AM
What about those still in the military who are LPOSs?

Absinthe Anecdote
06-18-2014, 01:30 AM
Isn't "Intel wienie" redundant?? (sorry, couldn't resist!)

An Intel Kielbasa is more of an accurate description in my case.

What about those still in the military who are LPOSs?

What about them?

They spend their time whining about PT for the most part.

Capt Alfredo
06-18-2014, 01:53 AM
An Intel Kielbasa is more of an accurate description in my case.

A fatty piece of leftover Polish scraps stuffed into a casing made of intestines? Interesting.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-18-2014, 02:01 AM
A fatty piece of leftover Polish scraps stuffed into a casing made of intestines? Interesting.

Yep, that's about the size of it.

giggawatt
06-19-2014, 03:12 AM

I realize it is probably hard for a glorified AGE mechanic mechanic to relate to having your shit together.

We never forget to put fuel in any engine and we never run out of fuel. However, fuel system malfunctions are common.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-19-2014, 05:04 PM
We never forget to put fuel in any engine and we never run out of fuel. However, fuel system malfunctions are common.

Smart way to spin it, but my sources sent me this video clip of an actual Power Pro troop troubleshooting a fuel system malfunction.

http://youtu.be/G-tCIRJH9p0

sandsjames
06-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Smart way to spin it, but my sources sent me this video clip of an actual Power Pro troop troubleshooting a fuel system malfunction.

This is indeed a rare video as the majority of the time the majority of Power Pro troops just remove and replace until the problem is fixed. If removing and replacing doesn't work then turn it in and order a new one.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Here is another rare video of a Power Pro garage band blowing off steam after work.

http://youtu.be/swwjTfdOjo4

sandsjames
06-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Here is another rare video of a Power Pro garage band blowing off steam after work.

http://youtu.be/swwjTfdOjo4

I could post some videos of Intel troops blowing off some stuff too, but it's not appropriate for the sight.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-19-2014, 05:17 PM
I could post some videos of Intel troops blowing off some stuff too, but it's not appropriate for the sight.

I agree, we are far too intellectual, the average forum reader wouldn't get our humor, and would be jealous of how we all resemble Adonis.

sandsjames
06-19-2014, 05:32 PM
I agree, we are far too intellectual, the average forum reader wouldn't get our humor, and would be jealous of how we all resemble Adonis.

I was a Power Pro troop assigned to the Intel Squadron at Beale. I've seen who you resemble and I'd relate it much more to the Pagan Easter Bunny than the Greek God Adonis.

BTW, how many WoW characters do you have?

socal1200r
06-20-2014, 01:47 PM
After putting up with AFRC nonsense for the last 5 years, I finally decided to put in for retirement from the AF Reserves. Been in since 1986, did numerous OCONUS active duty tours (Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Iraq, Pakistan, Djibouti, Italy, Spain, etc), been involved with OEF, OIF, OSW, ONE, etc., and the ridiculousness of today's military just broke the camel's back. I'm actually looking forward to not having to deal with all the administrative and bureaucratic BS like OPRs, AFPTs, PRFs, CBTs, ADLS, E-I-E-I-O, etc. Today's military is a FAR cry from what it was when I joined, with the repeal of DADT, LGBT Pride month, color guards marching in LGBT parades, people getting awards like a Bronze Star who never set foot in an actual combat zone, I could go on and on and on and on. I have lost ALL faith and confidence in senior leadership, from CSAF - SECAF - CJCS - SECDEF - POTUS. They can all go pound sand for all I care. I told myself I would stay in as long as I enjoyed it. Well, I stopped enjoying it back in Oct 2009, when AFRC decided to screw me over, and I've been fighting them ever since. I take no pride whatsoever in wearing the uniform, and am actually embarassed to wear it. That's it, I'm done, I'm hanging up the spurs and riding off into the sunset quietly. No retirement ceremony, no end of career award or decoration, just let me leave quietly and with my dignity intact. But I bet between now and 31 Dec, AFRC will still screw with me. Good thing they're not anywhere near me, because I'd have the means, motive, and opportunity to have a "come to Jesus" event with them. Hopefully, between now and 31 Dec, which is only 12 UTA training days, and which I've referenced as "terminal leave without pay" to my superiors, they'll let me go quietly. One can always hope...

As for getting out and becoming a lazy POS, I say why not, I've earned it!

hustonj
06-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Thank you for your service.

Reading this post, though, I don't think you are trying to go quietly. You seem to have quite a bit that you want to have heard as you leave.

giggawatt
06-24-2014, 03:11 AM

Intel and Adonis?

http://i.imgur.com/CnKRpzJ.gif