PDA

View Full Version : Woman A Leading Authority On What Shouldn’t Be In Poor People’s Grocery Carts (Onion)

Rusty Jones
05-30-2014, 04:40 PM
NORTHAMPTON, MA—With her remarkable ability to determine exactly how others should be allocating their limited resources for food, local woman Carol Gaither is considered to be one of the foremost authorities on what poor people should and should not have in their grocery carts, sources said Thursday.

As verified by multiple eyewitness reports from supermarkets across the Northampton area, the real estate agent and mother of three is capable of scanning the contents of any low-income person’s basket and rapidly identifying those items which people like that don’t need to be buying, based on the products’ nutrition and cost. Additionally, Gaither, 48, is widely regarded as a leading expert in determining which groceries they would purchase instead if they had any common sense or restraint.

“There’s no reason she should be loading up on those pricey TV dinners if she’s getting the government to pay for it,” Gaither told reporters at a local Super Stop and Shop, training her prodigious faculties on a welfare recipient using a benefit card in front of her in the checkout line. “If I were on food stamps, I’d just buy two whole chickens and a bag of potatoes—you could feed a family for a week on that and still have money left over.”

“All that junk she’s buying is just loaded with sugar, too,” said Gaither, identifying with uncanny speed another critical flaw in her fellow shopper’s grocery selection. “No wonder her kids are acting out like that.”

Sources said that Gaither, in addition to being a noted scholar of how the indigent squander her tax dollars at the supermarket, is able to detect with astonishing frequency instances in which poor people claim they are unable to pay their own grocery bills yet, seconds later, pull out a brand-new cell phone that’s far nicer than the one Gaither herself owns. Moreover, as one of the most respected voices concerning the poor’s flawed eating habits, Gaither reportedly possesses the ability to instantly assess when people on public assistance keep coming back to the same fatty foods that pretty much explain how they came to look like that in the first place.

Despite her stature, Gaither has never shared her insights with any of these individuals, sources confirmed.

“The other day, I saw a woman who bought a box of name-brand Frosted Flakes because, apparently, the generic kind wasn’t fancy enough for her,” said Gaither, swiftly and decisively calculating that bagged cereal would have cost half as much. “And guess who’s going to be paying the difference in the end?”

“But then again, what do you expect?” Gaither added, making eye contact with the reporter.

As noted by her acquaintances, Gaither’s unrivaled expertise extends far beyond her appraisal of poor people’s shopping lists. Indeed, sources confirmed that she is also nothing short of a savant on such matters as whether young children should be given electronic gizmos to play with instead of a book, what homeless individuals are doing with the spare change you give them, and what on earth would motivate someone to go out in public like that.

Additionally, Gaither has earned wide commendation for putting forth a clear, straightforward solution to the behavioral problems she has identified as plaguing the poor population, suggesting simply that needy families stop popping out babies and focus on raising the ones they already have.

“No matter where you go, it always seems like Carol has some amazing new piece of insight about people around her,” said friend Gloria Ferris, who told reporters that she has often marveled at Gaither’s abilities on trips to the mall, the movies, and especially in restaurants. “Whether she’s analyzing exactly how a parent should go about disciplining their child or methodically dissecting the laziness of obese people who ride around in motorized carts, Carol’s on top of it. She just has a gift.”

“If only these people could be as perceptive as she is,” Ferris added.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/woman-a-leading-authority-on-what-shouldnt-be-in-p,35922/

TJMAC77SP
05-30-2014, 06:38 PM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/woman-a-leading-authority-on-what-shouldnt-be-in-p,35922/

It seems we have had something like this occur on the MTF before so let's put the disclaimer out there that The Onion is a satirical website with made up stories.

GeoDude
05-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Was this woman's name Ayn Rand by any chance? :D

Class5Kayaker
06-02-2014, 02:21 PM
It seems we have had something like this occur on the MTF before so let's put the disclaimer out there that The Onion is a satirical website with made up stories.

Yeah, let's go ahead start posting/quoting things from the DuffleBlog too.

Rusty Jones, were you just trying to share a funny article you knew was sattire, or did you think it was real? Not posting any comment about it and just pasting the article is confusing. :confused:

Rusty Jones
06-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Yeah, let's go ahead start posting/quoting things from the DuffleBlog too.

Rusty Jones, were you just trying to share a funny article you knew was sattire, or did you think it was real? Not posting any comment about it and just pasting the article is confusing. :confused:

Dude, look at the title of the thread. Did I not put "Onion" in the title? Look at the category that I put the thread in, i.e., "In Other 'News'". I did both of those things for a reason.

I know that people here are just DYING to point at someone and say "AH HA! You think it's REAL!" whenever someone posts a satire article; so I made indicators ahead of time to prevent this.

But... apparently, it doesn't work...

sandsjames
06-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Dude, look at the title of the thread. Did I not put "Onion" in the title? Look at the category that I put the thread in, i.e., "In Other 'News'". I did both of those things for a reason.

I know that people here are just DYING to point at someone and say "AH HA! You think it's REAL!" whenever someone posts a satire article; so I made indicators ahead of time to prevent this.

What makes it funny is that, even though it's not real, there are several people who feel the need to worry about these kind of things. What they don't realize is that people recieving aid are recieving a set amount so whether they spend it all on lobster or get thrifty with their shopping it makes no difference to how much money comes out of their pocket.

I guess that the poor shouldn't have the same freedoms as everyone else.

Class5Kayaker
06-02-2014, 02:51 PM

While many of us realize it's sattire, you'd be amazed at how many folks don't unless you point out that it's sattire....and even then some folks don't know the definition of sattire. Just read the comments section on the Onion or DuffleBlog article, or see the re-posts of articles on FaceBook and you'll be amazed at how stupid/naive people are out there believing it's true.

And to just post an article without saying a single word reminds me of Tak, Godfather, or whatever other screen name he used. If you want some discussion about something, at least say SOMETHING other than just copying and pasting an article.

Just my $.02 worth.....

sandsjames
06-02-2014, 02:54 PM
While many of us realize it's sattire, you'd be amazed at how many folks don't unless you point out that it's sattire....and even then some folks don't know the definition of sattire. Just read the comments section on the Onion or DuffleBlog article, or see the re-posts of articles on FaceBook and you'll be amazed at how stupid/naive people are out there believing it's true.

And to just post an article without saying a single word reminds me of Tak, Godfather, or whatever other screen name he used. If you want some discussion about something, at least say SOMETHING other than just copying and pasting an article.

Just my $.02 worth.....

That was a waste of $.02. Can't you find a better way to spend it?

Class5Kayaker
06-02-2014, 03:10 PM
That was a waste of $.02. Can't you find a better way to spend it?

Not according to the minimum wage debate thread.... ;)

TJMAC77SP
06-02-2014, 05:53 PM

Perhaps putting "(Satire)" instead of "Onion" would have served you better. Unless of course the aim was to generate some flame fest. In which case.....never mind.

Rainmaker
06-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Its a no brainer. Any headline that starts with "Woman a Leading Authority On" has to be satire.

WILDJOKER5
06-04-2014, 08:32 PM
What makes it funny is that, even though it's not real, there are several people who feel the need to worry about these kind of things. What they don't realize is that people recieving aid are recieving a set amount so whether they spend it all on lobster or get thrifty with their shopping it makes no difference to how much money comes out of their pocket.

I guess that the poor shouldn't have the same freedoms as everyone else.

No, Not when they use my money. Kind of like how I don't have the freedom for my son to eat a tasty meal at school because Ms Obama declared herself the queen of fitness. Arnold didn't go around making kids eat cardboard, he challenged them to be active and fit. Now we punish fathers who make their misbehaving 7 year olds walk a mile home from school with probation.

sandsjames
06-04-2014, 09:04 PM
No, Not when they use my money. Kind of like how I don't have the freedom for my son to eat a tasty meal at school because Ms Obama declared herself the queen of fitness. Arnold didn't go around making kids eat cardboard, he challenged them to be active and fit. Now we punish fathers who make their misbehaving 7 year olds walk a mile home from school with probation.

Just as I believe your kid shouldn't be forced to eat strictly "healthy" meals at school I also don't think that those receiving welfare should be forced to eat strictly "poor people" food.

WILDJOKER5
06-05-2014, 11:20 AM
Just as I believe your kid shouldn't be forced to eat strictly "healthy" meals at school I also don't think that those receiving welfare should be forced to eat strictly "poor people" food.

Theres a huge difference though I see, I am paying for my son's food at school. And I am also paying for those on EBT to eat better than I do at home. I come no where near the $350 monthly budget for food as those on EBT. I am a single father with the kids 75% of the time and still spend roughly $200-250 a month for healthy foods that I cook at home. Its been dicussed before, why should soda, chips, and ice cream, along with McDs and BK be able to be bought with EBT?

sandsjames
06-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Theres a huge difference though I see, I am paying for my son's food at school. And I am also paying for those on EBT to eat better than I do at home. I come no where near the $350 monthly budget for food as those on EBT. I am a single father with the kids 75% of the time and still spend roughly $200-250 a month for healthy foods that I cook at home. Its been dicussed before, why should soda, chips, and ice cream, along with McDs and BK be able to be bought with EBT?

Either way, you are still going to be paying the same taxes, whether Jim Bob eats oatmeal or steak and eggs.

Rusty Jones
06-05-2014, 12:52 PM

If you envy people on welfare, quit your job and go on it. Move yourself right into the projects, get those benefits... then please log on to MTF and tell everyone how much you're enjoying life. Let everyone know how green that grass is.

Rusty Jones
06-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Sandsjames - here's a little piece of my life story, so pay attention. But this is really meant for WJ5:

See the buildings here?

http://www.newlondonfirefightersunion.org/CRYSTAL_AVE.JPG

I know it looks like one building, but it's actually two that are connected. The "B" building on the left, and the "A" building on the right. There's a third "C" building on the other side, depicted below:

http://www.newlondonfirefightersunion.org/pics/49%20CRYSTAL.jpg

These buildings are in New London, CT. Housing projects. Namely, Thames River Apartments, or referred to by the locals as the "crystal high rises" (because they're on Crystal Avenue). I spent my childhoom from the time I was a toddler to the age of seven here, when I was lucky enough to move into the townhouse projects right across the street from these.

Ever been inside a high-rise housing project building? If so, you probably have a good idea what's inside these buildings. If not, I'll explain:

I was lucky enough to have lived in the "A" building the entire time. Why? That's where "administration" for the complex was, in the lobby. Rental office, mail room, the maintence closets, and the staffed children's recreation center (what we called "the CRC") was. As such, people were less likely to fuck around in this building (though they STILL did, just not as much as they did in the other two buildings). The "B" building was second, the "C" building was the worst. Even more lucky... as these a 9-story buildings, I started out on the eighth floor, moved down to the fifth, and finally to the second. The second floor is probably the best floor you can ever live on in any high rise housing project. First, because that's only one floor that you have to go up and down; secondly, because all of the strange stuff that you see in the staircases... aren't there between the first and second floor. That's where you're more likely to get caught by any staff that might be in the building. Even better, because the elevators are even more disgusting than the staircases, and they get stuck all the time anyway (as is the case in any high rise housing project). So, you were better off taking the stairs... and there was no temptation to get into those elevators when you lived on the second floor.

What does this complex have in common with most other high rise housing projects?

-The buildings are severely infested with roaches, mice, and rats. Yes, I said RATS.
-The elevators constantly get stuck. The situation is actually worse in this complex, because in most other complexes, there are ways to open the doors and climb out. Not here. You're stuck until the elevators magically start working again, or the fire department comes and gets you out - but not until after maintence has exhausted all efforts on their part. Whenever that may be.
-People treat the elevators as their own personal toilet and trashcan, rolled into one. Yep, you'll be standing in piss and around shit and trash as you ride these elevators, hoping that you don't get stuck in them.
-There's graffiti and constant vandalism in the common areas (hallways, staircases, etc). People busting out lights, things like that. There's supposed to be a fire hose on each floor, but I've never seen ONE the whole time I've lived there, because they've all been taken out. No sense in replacing them either, because as soon as you do, someone is going to steal them again.
-Although the stairs aren't as bad as the elevators, there's still piss and shit in them. Not as much, but they don't get cleaned as often as the elevators, so it lingers longer.
-These buidings are on the outskirts of the city. They're basically warehouses for the poor. The location is designed to keep you away from everyone else, because they don't want to be around you. You can actually FEEL the isolation when you live in such a place. Like most others, they're surrounded by major streets and highways as well... to make it more difficult for you to casually stroll out and end up where you're not wanted, and to make it less likely that someone better than you won't make a wrong turn and end up in your neighborhood.

What makes these buildings not as bad as most high rise housing projects, mainly the ones in bigger cities, are the following:

-Not as much violent crime. The last murder that happened in these buildings was 2004 (it happened in the "B" building), and it wasn't gang or drug related or any type of "street" crime. It was a psycho who stabbed his ex-girlfriend and her kids; something that's equally as likely to happen anywhere.
-Lower violent crime means that if you need emergency services (i.e., ambulance, police), they actually COME. In most others in big cities, they're actually afraid.
-Lower violent crime also means that maintence is likely to happen, and the piss, shit, and trash eventually gets cleaned up. In most other places, they can't hire anyone to take these jobs because people are too scared to take them.
-Less vacancy. Vacancy is a problem in other places; vacancy leads to squatting, and people using vacant apartments as drug labs and brothels. Thankfully, this has never happened here (to my knowledge).

Now ask yourself... do you think people on welfare are living the easy life? Would you gladly take the $350 or whatever it is in food stamps every month - with your ability to eat "steak" and "lobster" and "McDonald's", knowing that you had to live similar conditions?

I bet that if I offered WJ5 $350 to spend ONE night in an apartment in these buildings, he'd turn around walk right back out as soon as he saw the elevator and staircase.

Hell, I actually LIVED in these buildings 30 years ago, and even I might turn down that offer myself!

WILDJOKER5
06-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Either way, you are still going to be paying the same taxes, whether Jim Bob eats oatmeal or steak and eggs.True, but if we are so worried about our kids eating "healthy" at school, why is there not the same standards for those on EBT with kids?

If you envy people on welfare, quit your job and go on it. Move yourself right into the projects, get those benefits... then please log on to MTF and tell everyone how much you're enjoying life. Let everyone know how green that grass is.

Who said I was envious? If you want to say I am envious of those taking my money and eating "better" than I do, your definition of envy is screwed up. Its not that I am envious, its that people like you think those who dont work for what they get should be treated to better things than those who work and provide the money for the poor. And then say that those who have even more than the poor didnt really earn what they have and should pay more to those who have less. Its nuts really.

WILDJOKER5
06-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Sandsjames - here's a little piece of my life story, so pay attention. But this is really meant for WJ5:

See the buildings here?

http://www.newlondonfirefightersunion.org/CRYSTAL_AVE.JPG

I know it looks like one building, but it's actually two that are connected. The "B" building on the left, and the "A" building on the right. There's a third "C" building on the other side, depicted below:

http://www.newlondonfirefightersunion.org/pics/49%20CRYSTAL.jpg

These buildings are in New London, CT. Housing projects. Namely, Thames River Apartments, or referred to by the locals as the "crystal high rises" (because they're on Crystal Avenue). I spent my childhoom from the time I was a toddler to the age of seven here, when I was lucky enough to move into the townhouse projects right across the street from these.

Ever been inside a high-rise housing project building? If so, you probably have a good idea what's inside these buildings. If not, I'll explain:

I was lucky enough to have lived in the "A" building the entire time. Why? That's where "administration" for the complex was, in the lobby. Rental office, mail room, the maintence closets, and the staffed children's recreation center (what we called "the CRC") was. As such, people were less likely to fuck around in this building (though they STILL did, just not as much as they did in the other two buildings). The "B" building was second, the "C" building was the worst. Even more lucky... as these a 9-story buildings, I started out on the eighth floor, moved down to the fifth, and finally to the second. The second floor is probably the best floor you can ever live on in any high rise housing project. First, because that's only one floor that you have to go up and down; secondly, because all of the strange stuff that you see in the staircases... aren't there between the first and second floor. That's where you're more likely to get caught by any staff that might be in the building. Even better, because the elevators are even more disgusting than the staircases, and they get stuck all the time anyway (as is the case in any high rise housing project). So, you were better off taking the stairs... and there was no temptation to get into those elevators when you lived on the second floor.

What does this complex have in common with most other high rise housing projects?

-The buildings are severely infested with roaches, mice, and rats. Yes, I said RATS.
-The elevators constantly get stuck. The situation is actually worse in this complex, because in most other complexes, there are ways to open the doors and climb out. Not here. You're stuck until the elevators magically start working again, or the fire department comes and gets you out - but not until after maintence has exhausted all efforts on their part. Whenever that may be.
-People treat the elevators as their own personal toilet and trashcan, rolled into one. Yep, you'll be standing in piss and around shit and trash as you ride these elevators, hoping that you don't get stuck in them.
-There's graffiti and constant vandalism in the common areas (hallways, staircases, etc). People busting out lights, things like that. There's supposed to be a fire hose on each floor, but I've never seen ONE the whole time I've lived there, because they've all been taken out. No sense in replacing them either, because as soon as you do, someone is going to steal them again.
-Although the stairs aren't as bad as the elevators, there's still piss and shit in them. Not as much, but they don't get cleaned as often as the elevators, so it lingers longer.
-These buidings are on the outskirts of the city. They're basically warehouses for the poor. The location is designed to keep you away from everyone else, because they don't want to be around you. You can actually FEEL the isolation when you live in such a place. Like most others, they're surrounded by major streets and highways as well... to make it more difficult for you to casually stroll out and end up where you're not wanted, and to make it less likely that someone better than you won't make a wrong turn and end up in your neighborhood.

What makes these buildings not as bad as most high rise housing projects, mainly the ones in bigger cities, are the following:

-Not as much violent crime. The last murder that happened in these buildings was 2004 (it happened in the "B" building), and it wasn't gang or drug related or any type of "street" crime. It was a psycho who stabbed his ex-girlfriend and her kids; something that's equally as likely to happen anywhere.
-Lower violent crime means that if you need emergency services (i.e., ambulance, police), they actually COME. In most others in big cities, they're actually afraid.
-Lower violent crime also means that maintence is likely to happen, and the piss, shit, and trash eventually gets cleaned up. In most other places, they can't hire anyone to take these jobs because people are too scared to take them.
-Less vacancy. Vacancy is a problem in other places; vacancy leads to squatting, and people using vacant apartments as drug labs and brothels. Thankfully, this has never happened here (to my knowledge).

Now ask yourself... do you think people on welfare are living the easy life? Would you gladly take the $350 or whatever it is in food stamps every month - with your ability to eat "steak" and "lobster" and "McDonald's", knowing that you had to live similar conditions?

I bet that if I offered WJ5 $350 to spend ONE night in an apartment in these buildings, he'd turn around walk right back out as soon as he saw the elevator and staircase.

Hell, I actually LIVED in these buildings 30 years ago, and even I might turn down that offer myself!

And the moral of this story is if you give people no incentive to move out of a place that isnt theirs being treated as such, you get generational welfare reciepients and a staunch voting block who all you have to do is say "if you vote for the other guy, they will take away your Lobster dinners from you". So, for those 30+ years, those cities are ran by democrats and the conditions only get worse.

Rusty Jones
06-05-2014, 04:07 PM
And the moral of this story is if you give people no incentive to move out of a place that isnt theirs being treated as such, you get generational welfare reciepients and a staunch voting block who all you have to do is say "if you vote for the other guy, they will take away your Lobster dinners from you". So, for those 30+ years, those cities are ran by democrats and the conditions only get worse.

Actually, the moral of the the story is twofold:

1. Unless you lived the life of a particular group of people who are on the lower rungs of society yourself, you have no business telling them how to live or telling them what they should or shouldn't have.

2. Regardless of how "unfair" you say it is, they are not - by any means - living a better life than you. Not by a long shot. I wouldn't wish this life on my worst enemy, let alone the kind of life that those who live in far worse housing projects than these lead. Though, I WOULD wish that everyone could experience a week in the life. If I could, I'd actually make a TV reality show out of it. I guarantee you... you walk a mile in their shoes, you will never say the things you're saying again.

sandsjames
06-05-2014, 04:29 PM
True, but if we are so worried about our kids eating "healthy" at school, why is there not the same standards for those on EBT with kids?

I agree. We should not be worried about either. But if we are going to worry about it then we better start giving those on EBT more money.

WILDJOKER5
06-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Actually, the moral of the the story is twofold:

1. Unless you lived the life of a particular group of people who are on the lower rungs of society yourself, you have no business telling them how to live or telling them what they should or shouldn't have.Says an advocate for higher taxes and "the evil rich" propagandist. Doesnt matter what rung of society you are on, you still havent lived the life of someone else.

2. Regardless of how "unfair" you say it is, they are not - by any means - living a better life than you. Not by a long shot. I wouldn't wish this life on my worst enemy, let alone the kind of life that those who live in far worse housing projects than these lead. Though, I WOULD wish that everyone could experience a week in the life. If I could, I'd actually make a TV reality show out of it. I guarantee you... you walk a mile in their shoes, you will never say the things you're saying again.

I didnt say they were living a better than me, just that they get the same or better things than me with my money when they dont try to improve themselves. I dont need to "experience" that life to know I never want to live there. I wasnt rich and neither were my parents. But my parents made the sacrifices needed to keep my brother and I in a home. They waited 6 years till they could afford to have my brother, and another 6 to have me. They ensured they were fiscally responsible enough that my mom could stay home with us for the first 3 years. I dont need the experience other peoples mistakes to know not to make them. That is how humans have become the dominant species on the planet. A lot of people have also used the history of failure to gain power off the poor by promising "goodies" in exchange for a vote.

WILDJOKER5
06-05-2014, 05:31 PM
I agree. We should not be worried about either. But if we are going to worry about it then we better start giving those on EBT more money.

Why? It costs less to eat healthy than it does to eat junk? Not the crap that says "all natural" BS. But go to a store and buy a 2 lb bag of carrots and large bag of chips and tell me which cost less. Or coke vs water/cool-aid. McD vs 1 lb of ground chicken and chicken helper. All much better for you and cost way less than the "junk".

Rusty Jones
06-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Says an advocate for higher taxes and "the evil rich" propagandist. Doesnt matter what rung of society you are on, you still havent lived the life of someone else.

Higher taxes for YOU? No. Higher taxes for the rich? Yes. And whether you want to acknowledge it or not, you're not rich enough to not benefit from higher taxes.

I didnt say they were living a better than me, just that they get the same or better things than me with my money when they dont try to improve themselves.

It's not "your" money. It it was, paying taxes would be optional.

So they get $100 more dollars in SNAP more than what you budget for groceries. Great. But look at the trade off. Is that what you want?

I dont need to "experience" that life to know I never want to live there.

No, but you might need to experience that life to know that a little extra money in SNAP than what you think they should have; in no way, shape, or form makes up for the lives that they're leading.

Oh, let me tell you something else about the apartment complex I lived in: there is only one store near there; about a half a mile away. It's a small Indian/Pakistani owned mom & pop grocery store, about the same square footage as a dollar store. Not very much selection, and the prices in these types of stores are pretty high.

Most of the residents don't have cars; so there's no way for them to get to the grocery stores. These projects are right across the street from the shore of the Thames River, one the extreme east end of New London. The only two major grocery stores in the city - Shop Rite and Stop & Shop - are on the other ends of the city, near the Waterford city limits.

My mother used to make it work by taking the bus over there, and taking a taxi back with all of the groceries. Of course, she had to have the taxi wait there as we took multiple trips upstairs with the groceries.

Not everyone there agreed that that was the best way to spend money; as some felt that they were better off just dealing with the higher prices at the store down the street.

In some housing projects, sometimes that store down the street is the only option.

I imagine that extra money for EBT recipients exists because that was taken into consideration.

I wasnt rich and neither were my parents. But my parents made the sacrifices needed to keep my brother and I in a home. They waited 6 years till they could afford to have my brother, and another 6 to have me. They ensured they were fiscally responsible enough that my mom could stay home with us for the first 3 years. I dont need the experience other peoples mistakes to know not to make them. That is how humans have become the dominant species on the planet. A lot of people have also used the history of failure to gain power off the poor by promising "goodies" in exchange for a vote.

Great, your parents played by all the rules and lived the white picket fence in surburbia lifestyle. Good for them.

But you, having grown up there, don't seem to realize... life happens. It doesn't always go as planned, and not everyone is there to observe how things are done in the "ideal" scenario that you were brought up in.

They're trying to fix that with mixed-income communities. You know, those things that you're so dead set against?

sandsjames
06-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Why? It costs less to eat healthy than it does to eat junk? Not the crap that says "all natural" BS. But go to a store and buy a 2 lb bag of carrots and large bag of chips and tell me which cost less. Or coke vs water/cool-aid. McD vs 1 lb of ground chicken and chicken helper. All much better for you and cost way less than the "junk".

I can play that game.

Go to a store and buy the ingredients for a nutritional salad. Then go to the store and buy a few bags of chips, a two liter bottle of soda, a couple boxes of Egos, and a can of Spam and tell me which cost less.

Greg
06-05-2014, 05:52 PM

Not really, especially if the carrots are GMO, and the ground chicken has been injected with antibiotics.

WILDJOKER5
06-05-2014, 06:15 PM
I can play that game.

Go to a store and buy the ingredients for a nutritional salad. Then go to the store and buy a few bags of chips, a two liter bottle of soda, a couple boxes of Egos, and a can of Spam and tell me which cost less.The salad by far. Volume and generics beats junk every time. If you go to the proclaimed "all natural" section, then of course you are going to spend more. But a head of lettus, carrots, and dressing is going to go a lot farther and cost a lot less. I do the shopping for my family, I know the prices. Even the prices of generic chip, waffles, and two liter. And yes, water with or without kool aid is still way cheaper.

Not really, especially if the carrots are GMO, and the ground chicken has been injected with antibiotics.Are you saying that Junk food is all natural?

WILDJOKER5
06-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Higher taxes for YOU? No. Higher taxes for the rich? Yes. And whether you want to acknowledge it or not, you're not rich enough to not benefit from higher taxes.Have you lived in the life of the rich you propose to tax?

I am not sure what school of economics you come from, but not a single "rich" person who is running a store pays those higher taxes. Its the consumers, forever and always. When you raise the sales tax, who pays more? When you raise gas tax, who pays more? When you raise tobacco tax, who pays more? When you raise income tax, you pays more? It always gets pushed down to the consumer. Look at any leftist billionare who clammers for higher taxes, do they even pay what the established tax rate is now for their income? Does Obama? Warren Buffet? Bill Gates? Soros? And if you try to go to capital gains tax, you are also advocating for anyone that put money into an IRA, or 401k account to be taxed higher when they retire.

It's not "your" money. It it was, paying taxes would be optional.So I am a slave and the government can take from me all they want with threat of force and imprisionment? Glad you are showing what you really believe. If its not "my" money (compensation for my labor), then "my" labor is not really my own either. If I am not compensated for my labor, then that means I am a slave. And just tell me that the condidtions in Jail are not the same as they were for slaves before the end of the civil war. Except there arent women in jail I could father children with.

So they get $100 more dollars in SNAP more than what you budget for groceries. Great. But look at the trade off. Is that what you want?They dont pay rent either. Their cell phones are free. Internet is a "basic human right". Medical is free. Seriously, why would someone really give up a free ride when everything is taken care of? You and I think those conditions are diplorable, but when you are raised that way, you may not know any better and dont want it to change. You think I am full of it? Look at Iraq and Afgahnistan, even though we have trampled through those countries up and down with our advancing devices, computers and show them "our way of life", but is it accepted and implemented on everyone? Even when we think of their life style as diplorable? No. The culture and the way people grow up typically sticks with them. Especially if its not too terribly bad and not much effort is involved in maintaining that life style. There are always exceptions to the rules.

No, but you might need to experience that life to know that a little extra money in SNAP than what you think they should have; in no way, shape, or form makes up for the lives that they're leading.Its their choice. Guess where poor whites choose to live? Poor Asians or mexicans or middle easterners? Each have their own "choice" living accomadations, and typically if they dont own it, they dont keep up with them. But you keep proving my point that your vote is typically bought through government perks to make you forget where you live through the threat that "if you vote for the other guy, your lobster dinner once a month will be taken away."

Oh, let me tell you something else about the apartment complex I lived in: there is only one store near there; about a half a mile away. It's a small Indian/Pakistani owned mom & pop grocery store, about the same square footage as a dollar store. Not very much selection, and the prices in these types of stores are pretty high.Sob stories all around, great.

Most of the residents don't have cars; so there's no way for them to get to the grocery stores. These projects are right across the street from the shore of the Thames River, one the extreme east end of New London. The only two major grocery stores in the city - Shop Rite and Stop & Shop - are on the other ends of the city, near the Waterford city limits.Sounds like a great site for a wal-mart. Wonder why there isnt one there? Plenty of labor and people to man the registers and a constant influx of people who would have free money to spend. Why is there none close by, or even in town I wonder?

My mother used to make it work by taking the bus over there, and taking a taxi back with all of the groceries. Of course, she had to have the taxi wait there as we took multiple trips upstairs with the groceries.Where were you or her husband?

Not everyone there agreed that that was the best way to spend money; as some felt that they were better off just dealing with the higher prices at the store down the street.Convience over sacrifice. Smart busness owners.

In some housing projects, sometimes that store down the street is the only option.

I imagine that extra money for EBT recipients exists because that was taken into consideration.Possibly. But since I am going off what someone gets in my area, and by george, there is a grocery store on just about every block, I doubt that is the reason here since its based on states and localities.

Great, your parents played by all the rules and lived the white picket fence in surburbia lifestyle. Good for them.Did I say that? Actually, the first house I was born into was small and on the wrong side of town. But hey, that is what happens when you plan for the future and are responsible.

But you, having grown up there, don't seem to realize... life happens. It doesn't always go as planned, and not everyone is there to observe how things are done in the "ideal" scenario that you were brought up in.So whos fault it that? The rich? The middle class? White people? Men? They sure get the brunt of the blame and punishment of heavier tax burdens.

They're trying to fix that with mixed-income communities. You know, those things that you're so dead set against?
Because why should it matter if someone worked hard all their lives to move to a nice area? Everyone has to feel like they "made it" even when they drop out of school or have a kid at 15. Can't wait till my approval for the subsidy request to help me purchase Michael Jacksons home comes through. I want to feel accomplished with absolutely no talent like Mike.

Rusty Jones
06-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Have you lived in the life of the rich you propose to tax?

I am not sure what school of economics you come from, but not a single "rich" person who is running a store pays those higher taxes. Its the consumers, forever and always. When you raise the sales tax, who pays more? When you raise gas tax, who pays more? When you raise tobacco tax, who pays more? When you raise income tax, you pays more? It always gets pushed down to the consumer.

Income tax is not a consumer tax. You know what the great thing is though? Some states and local areas are smart enough to not have regressive taxes. And that's the way it should be.

And no, I haven't lived the life of the rich... but there are plenty of those who are, that are doing the work for me. Combine that with the fact that that was already the way of the world once upon a time (up until Reagonomics changed that), and we have a precedent to follow.

Look at any leftist billionare who clammers for higher taxes, do they even pay what the established tax rate is now for their income? Does Obama? Warren Buffet? Bill Gates? Soros?

Nope, and many of them have spoken out against it. What do you think made Warren Buffet has been known for lately?

And if you try to go to capital gains tax, you are also advocating for anyone that put money into an IRA, or 401k account to be taxed higher when they retire.

Exceptions can be made for that.

So I am a slave and the government can take from me all they want with threat of force and imprisionment? Glad you are showing what you really believe. If its not "my" money (compensation for my labor), then "my" labor is not really my own either. If I am not compensated for my labor, then that means I am a slave. And just tell me that the condidtions in Jail are not the same as they were for slaves before the end of the civil war. Except there arent women in jail I could father children with.

That's not the way I'd put it, but if that's how you want to put it to justify your objection to it, then by all means...

They dont pay rent either.

Talking out of your ass once again.

Their cell phones are free.

With strict limitations, that many still have to get a paid service anyway...

Internet is a "basic human right".

So if someone has children, but no internet in the house... I can call child protective services on them and have their children put into foster care?

Medical is free.

I'll give you that.

Seriously, why would someone really give up a free ride when everything is taken care of? You and I think those conditions are diplorable, but when you are raised that way, you may not know any better and dont want it to change. You think I am full of it? Look at Iraq and Afgahnistan, even though we have trampled through those countries up and down with our advancing devices, computers and show them "our way of life", but is it accepted and implemented on everyone? Even when we think of their life style as diplorable? No. The culture and the way people grow up typically sticks with them. Especially if its not too terribly bad and not much effort is involved in maintaining that life style. There are always exceptions to the rules.

I knew better. Why wouldn't they?

Its their choice. Guess where poor whites choose to live? Poor Asians or mexicans or middle easterners? Each have their own "choice" living accomadations, and typically if they dont own it, they dont keep up with them. But you keep proving my point that your vote is typically bought through government perks to make you forget where you live through the threat that "if you vote for the other guy, your lobster dinner once a month will be taken away."

Please... I really wish conservatives would get off of that "people on SNAP are buying steak and lobster with their EBT card" bullshit. It's an urban legend that came from a magazine article in 1993, and conservatives took that ball and have been running with it since.

For one thing, most poor people - those who grew up poor - don't even have the palate for lobster, because they weren't raised on it. Crabs and shrimp? Maybe. But not lobster. Second... if you're in a grocery store and the fact that the customer in front of you happens to be a black or Hispanic woman has your spidey-senses tingling, and it prompts you to inspect her shopping cart and method of payment for those groceries... you might want to take a closer look at the cuts of steak that she's buying. Chances are, it's not a ribeye or a porterhouse. It's likely some cheap hockey puck steak.

Sob stories all around, great.

Sounds like a great site for a wal-mart. Wonder why there isnt one there? Plenty of labor and people to man the registers and a constant influx of people who would have free money to spend. Why is there none close by, or even in town I wonder?

New London is a fully developed city, with nowhere to build anything. The only way to put a Walmart in that city is to tear some other store down. The nearest Walmart is across the Thames in Groton. Even less practical to get to than Shop Rite or Stop & Shop.

Where were you or her husband?

I stated I helped with the groceries.

Convience over sacrifice. Smart busness owners.

Possibly. But since I am going off what someone gets in my area, and by george, there is a grocery store on just about every block, I doubt that is the reason here since its based on states and localities.

Possibly. Every place I've lived, grocery stores tend to be in the working class neighborhoods. The projects are out of the way, so that us "better" folk don't have to be around them. So the likelihood of grocery stores being near the projects just isn't there. Middle class and up don't want to be around grocery stores and strip malls... all that noise and traffic. So the working class have to deal with that.

Did I say that? Actually, the first house I was born into was small and on the wrong side of town. But hey, that is what happens when you plan for the future and are responsible.

Good for your parents. Every play in their book worked out... they got their first downs everytime, and their drives always ended with a touchdown; maybe the occasional field goal. No turnovers, no having to punt. Every play went as planned. Good for them.

However, life doesn't work out for everyone like that. You don't seem to understand that.

So whos fault it that? The rich? The middle class? White people? Men? They sure get the brunt of the blame and punishment of heavier tax burdens.

I wasn't trying to point fingers. The point is, life happens. It doesn't always seemingly operate in a vacuum the same way it did for your parent.

Because why should it matter if someone worked hard all their lives to move to a nice area? Everyone has to feel like they "made it" even when they drop out of school or have a kid at 15. Can't wait till my approval for the subsidy request to help me purchase Michael Jacksons home comes through. I want to feel accomplished with absolutely no talent like Mike.

But don't you want them to see what people like your parents did, and emulate that?

Something's gotta give, WJ5. Which is it?

Absinthe Anecdote
06-06-2014, 12:42 AM
I can play that game.

Go to a store and buy the ingredients for a nutritional salad. Then go to the store and buy a few bags of chips, a two liter bottle of soda, a couple boxes of Egos, and a can of Spam and tell me which cost less.

Am I too late to play in the game?

I want to tell WJ5 to go to the cut-rate liquor store and buy a carton of Newports and 40 ounce bottle of Colt 45 malt liquor.

Oh, and pick me up a couple of scratch-off lottery tickets while you're at it.

sandsjames
06-06-2014, 12:44 AM
Am I too late to play in the game?

I want to tell WJ5 to go to the cut-rate liquor store and buy a carton of Newports and 40 ounce bottle of Colt 45 malt liquor.

Oh, and pick me up a couple of scratch-off lottery tickets while you're at it.

You're right on time...and you caught on like you hadn't missed a second.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-06-2014, 01:07 AM
You're right on time...and you caught on like you hadn't missed a second.

Yeah, it looks like I've been missing out on all the fun in here.

That lady in the Onion article isn't that special. Lots of people have the ability to make sweeping judgements about a person's character based on the contents of their shopping cart.

I just got back from Belfast, Ireland and was hanging out with a bunch of Catholics who would beat the shit out of Protestants coming out of the drug store with condoms and other birth control products.

They even had this cool little song about how every sperm is sacred.

Every sperm is sacred
Every sperm is great
If a sperm is wasted
God gets quite irate

Let the heathen spill theirs
On the dusty ground
God shall make them pay for
Each sperm that can't be found.