PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal

Smeghead
05-28-2014, 11:08 PM
Anyone heard about this?

MEMORANDUM FOR AF/A1

SUBJECT: Establishment of a Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal

After careful consideration, the proposal to create the Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal is approved. The medal's intent and criteria support the recognition of Airmen dedicated to our nation's strategic objectives in nuclear deterrence. The effective date of this medal is 27 May 2014. Eligibility for this medal will be made retroactive for currently serving active, guard, and reserve Airmen.

Signed,
Deborah Lee James, SECAF

Moyen Escadrille
05-29-2014, 03:20 AM
Wow, I bet this will really light a fire under the butts of those in the nuke world. If I was still in I'd consider PCS'ing to one of those locations just to get that little nifty ribbon.

Another joke and knee jerk reaction by leadership. It's just another feel good ribbon.

giggawatt
05-29-2014, 06:47 AM
I guess it's something for those missile folks that never get to deploy or get many other opportunities, to earn a little recognition.

Gonzo432
05-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Ok, I could have swore I posted this last night.

Medals: when tater tots aren't enough. It's a Band-Aid on a traumatic amputation.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
05-29-2014, 11:59 AM
If a terrorist nuke went off in one of our cities, our nukes would not be used. If a nation state nuked us, chances are Obama would not retaliate. If the medals make our folks feel good about their jobs, then I'm all for it though.

waveshaper2
05-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Do you get a Light Brown Tater Tot Cluster for subsequent awards?

Measure Man
05-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Anyone heard about this?

MEMORANDUM FOR AF/A1

After careful consideration, the proposal to create the Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal is approved. The medal's intent and criteria support the recognition of Airmen dedicated to our nation's strategic objectives in nuclear deterrence. The effective date of this medal is 27 May 2014. Eligibility for this medal will be made retroactive for currently serving active, guard, and reserve Airmen. Signed,
Deborah Lee James, SECAF

So no retroactive eligibility for retired/separated?

Hmmm...I'm sure I read differently elsewhere, but this memo is from the SECAF!

sandsjames
05-29-2014, 03:09 PM
I guess they needed to catch up with the drone operators. When do I get my special CE Power Production medal? Who is it that provides the emergency power to ensure these operations don't fail? I should get a Nuclear Deterrence Operations Support Service Medal. Can we just issue everyone a "Good Sportsmanship" or "Perfect Attendance" award and get it over with?

CrustySMSgt
05-29-2014, 04:04 PM
So no retroactive eligibility for retired/separated?

Hmmm...I'm sure I read differently elsewhere, but this memo is from the SECAF!

Howdy Strangers!

This awesomeness brought me out of the shadows... lol

Yes, seperated/retired folk can apply through AFPC to get theirs... how many are gonna crack open that dusty shadow box and buy a new rack to sport this spiffy new bauble?

Smeghead
05-29-2014, 04:08 PM
That medal makes me think of Jimmy Neutron. The big "N" doesn't help either.

CrustySMSgt
05-29-2014, 04:12 PM
That medal makes me think of Jimmy Neutron. The big "N" doesn't help either.

The N is for the super special folks who actually worked in the missile field. So the egg flipper in the kitchen can tell war stories about how their awesomeness deterred the commies single handedly... and they'll have the N to prove it!!

DannyJ
05-29-2014, 04:13 PM
The N is for the super special folks who actually worked in the missile field. So the egg flipper in the kitchen can tell war stories about how their awesomeness deterred the commies single handedly... and they'll have the FONT=Arial Black]N[/FONT] to prove it!!

HE LIVES! Man, thought you dropped of the face of the planet.

CrustySMSgt
05-29-2014, 04:16 PM
HE LIVES! Man, thought you dropped of the face of the planet.

My ADD only allows me to focus on one thing at a time... I was off hanging out on car forums, supporting my addiction to my "year in Afghanistan" present to myself! :love_heart:

SomeRandomGuy
05-29-2014, 04:35 PM
I guess they needed to catch up with the drone operators. When do I get my special CE Power Production medal? Who is it that provides the emergency power to ensure these operations don't fail? I should get a Nuclear Deterrence Operations Support Service Medal. Can we just issue everyone a "Good Sportsmanship" or "Perfect Attendance" award and get it over with?

Can I get a "Travel Pay Deterrence" Medal? I spent several years doing quite about to deter people from collecting their travel pay.

Measure Man
05-29-2014, 04:52 PM

Howdy Strangers!

This awesomeness brought me out of the shadows... lol

Yes, seperated/retired folk can apply through AFPC to get theirs... how many are gonna crack open that dusty shadow box and buy a new rack to sport this spiffy new bauble?

I don't know about cracking open the shadow box, but I'll probably apply for one...someday my grandkids might think it's neat.

CrustySMSgt
05-29-2014, 05:07 PM
I don't know about cracking open the shadow box, but I'll probably apply for one...someday my grandkids might think it's neat.

Here is the first page of the message with instructions

DannyJ
05-29-2014, 05:20 PM
My ADD only allows me to focus on one thing at a time... I was off hanging out on car forums, supporting my addiction to my "year in Afghanistan" present to myself! :love_heart:

Very nice! I just can't buy a sports car or anything like that. I'd drive it like it's supposed to be driven and end up dead.

Smeghead
05-29-2014, 05:35 PM

Are you done now? I just got here. This place sucks.

raider8169
05-29-2014, 06:04 PM
What is the criteria for it going to be? I worked in the PRP world for 3 years as the COMSEC manager. Would this mean I have to update my rank for it as well?

CrustySMSgt
05-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Are you done now? I just got here. This place sucks.

I got back Aug of last year.

Very nice! I just can't buy a sports car or anything like that. I'd drive it like it's supposed to be driven and end up dead.

It is hard to resist using all 556 HP all the time! lol

What is the criteria for it going to be? I worked in the PRP world for 3 years as the COMSEC manager. Would this mean I have to update my rank for it as well?

eligibility is in the doc I posted. If you were assigned to a missle/bomb wing, it is a quick kill. If not you may have to spell it out to whatever CC you present your docs to to get approved.

LogDog
05-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Anyone heard about this?

MEMORANDUM FOR AF/A1

After careful consideration, the proposal to create the Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal is approved. The medal's intent and criteria support the recognition of Airmen dedicated to our nation's strategic objectives in nuclear deterrence. The effective date of this medal is 27 May 2014. Eligibility for this medal will be made retroactive for currently serving active, guard, and reserve Airmen.

Signed,
Deborah Lee James, SECAF
So this will take the place of the sign at the front gate saying " XXX Mushroom Cloud-Free Days."

raider8169
05-29-2014, 07:30 PM
eligibility is in the doc I posted. If you were assigned to a missle/bomb wing, it is a quick kill. If not you may have to spell it out to whatever CC you present your docs to to get approved.

I saw that you posted an attachment however I failed to see anything that I could do with it. All I see is that is said attached images with a paper clip image but nothing that I could click on.

CrustySMSgt
05-29-2014, 07:48 PM
I saw that you posted an attachment however I failed to see anything that I could do with it. All I see is that is said attached images with a paper clip image but nothing that I could click on.

Try this... the site here won't let me upload the full PDF :/

sandsjames
05-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Can I get a "Travel Pay Deterrence" Medal? I spent several years doing quite about to deter people from collecting their travel pay.

You should indeed. We all deserve medals for doing our jobs, even if it's done poorly. Just no AFCMs.

raider8169
05-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Try this... the site here won't let me upload the full PDF :/

So I had to log off of my account, click on the link and log back in in order to view it. Thank you. From reading that I will get it as well. Though no "N" for me. Im ok with that though, I dont want more devices to worry about.

DWWSWWD
05-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Given that the beginning of the eligibility period for this is 1992, otherwise known as 3 months after DW left the missile field, the ONLY way this makes any kind of damn sense is if they are going to throw a cold war victory medal at us SAC warriors. It has to be.....

Measure Man
05-29-2014, 10:55 PM
Given that the beginning of the eligibility period for this is 1992, otherwise known as 3 months after DW left the missile field, the ONLY way this makes any kind of damn sense is if they are going to throw a cold war victory medal at us SAC warriors. It has to be.....

The start date is interesting...it's on or about the time that SAC closed and Nuke forces went to ACC.

I guess the thinking is that since Nuke mission was overlooked beginning about that time, that is the time they need to start the recognition for it.

The rest of us have SAC patches to flash!

I was at Fairchild during this time and transitioned from SAC to ACC...it was still B-52s on alert with the 92nd Bomb Wing at that time...so I guess I get both...SAC patches and this medal.

No need to put it in my shadow box though...as I have my SAC Master Technician badge already in there :-)

waveshaper2
05-30-2014, 12:44 AM

We had no nuclear weapons prior to 1992 and what is this thing you speak of called SAC?
This is just one more method the current crop of leaders is using to permanently erase/cleanse the USAF of any remaining SAC history/heritage and its forgotten warriors.

Chief_KO
05-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Great opportunity for cost savings.
Medal: $30
Leather jacket: $300
Flight Suit: $275 each
Unless they plan on riding the missile ala Slim Pickens, time to eliminate the obvious waste of $$.

TSgt"M"
05-30-2014, 12:14 PM
:mad:
We had no nuclear weapons prior to 1992 and what is this thing you speak of called SAC?
This is just one more method the current crop of leaders is using to permanently erase/cleanse the USAF of any remaining SAC history/heritage and its forgotten warriors.

Yep, I was in the last Titan II wing when it closed in 87. No medal for me.

TJMAC77SP
05-30-2014, 03:33 PM
The start date is interesting...it's on or about the time that SAC closed and Nuke forces went to ACC.

I guess the thinking is that since Nuke mission was overlooked beginning about that time, that is the time they need to start the recognition for it.

The rest of us have SAC patches to flash!

I was at Fairchild during this time and transitioned from SAC to ACC...it was still B-52s on alert with the 92nd Bomb Wing at that time...so I guess I get both...SAC patches and this medal.

No need to put it in my shadow box though...as I have my SAC Master Technician badge already in there :-)

I was wondering who after 1 June 1992 our nuclear stockpile has 'deterred'.

wxjumper
05-30-2014, 11:00 PM
lol, now that the Cold War is long gone and Nuclear Deterrence is really not that important anymore, they decide to make a medal? They are about 50 years too late.

wxjumper
05-30-2014, 11:01 PM
I was wondering who after 1 June 1992 our nuclear stockpile has 'deterred'.

lol, my point exactly.

Gonzo432
05-31-2014, 01:25 AM
Fellow retirees,
I support those of you who earned this medal to go forth and get one, you earned it. HOWEVER, as far as attaching this to your "Retired USAF" hat, I recommend waiting for the small "metal-medal" to be released and attaching that to your hat.

I personally only wear the "small dog-tag with POW/MIA emblem with small chain" or a small metal TAC patch on my "USAF Retired" hats. Many of you sport metal rank insignia, chrome (and some old-school nickel) specialty badges and the like on your hats. A ribbon or 2 are ok, but full-sized medals are best left for mess-dress. Just sayin...

DWWSWWD
06-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Fellow retirees,
I support those of you who earned this medal to go forth and get one, you earned it. HOWEVER, as far as attaching this to your "Retired USAF" hat, I recommend waiting for the small "metal-medal" to be released and attaching that to your hat.
.. If you've got to choose a medal to pin to your USAF Retired hat, maybe pass on the "thanks for breathing" ones.

ChiefB
06-03-2014, 01:30 AM

It is simply a way to give the ground around Gen Lemay's grave that "freshly turned" effect.

ChiefB
06-03-2014, 03:15 AM

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608023509351072507&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0Done

CrustySMSgt
06-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Fellow retirees,

I personally only wear the "small dog-tag with POW/MIA emblem with small chain" or a small metal TAC patch on my "USAF Retired" hats. Many of you sport metal rank insignia, chrome (and some old-school nickel) specialty badges and the like on your hats. A ribbon or 2 are ok, but full-sized medals are best left for mess-dress. Just sayin...

As someone who will be retiring in the next year, can I get an advanced copy of the retired equivalent of 36-2903? I'm sure it is blue card mafia restricted, but I just want to be sure I'm ready to roll through the aisles of the commissary in proper retiree accoutrements! ;)

TJMAC77SP
06-10-2014, 04:30 PM
As someone who will be retiring in the next year, can I get an advanced copy of the retired equivalent of 36-2903? I'm sure it is blue card mafia restricted, but I just want to be sure I'm ready to roll through the aisles of the commissary in proper retiree accoutrements! ;)

Any service related hat with as much bling on it as possible should do the trick.

Gonzo432
06-11-2014, 12:40 AM

Much like those other Mafias, we try to avoid writing stuff down. It makes deniability easier.

Commissary aisles require practice. Angle your cart to block most of the aisle, then stand in the area not blocked by the cart. Retiree hat, calf-high black socks with khaki shorts (without cargo pockets, those are considered "cool" by young whipper-snappers) and brown shoes will cause the shoppers to go the other direction. "Excuse me" from a shopper is code for "tell me a story about a base that closed before I was born".

IYAAYAS
06-11-2014, 05:34 AM
I've had my share of time working around the weapons. It is not my career field and I've never stepped foot near a missile silo. As pointless as the medal is, it rewards people like me for putting up with PRP and the games that go along with that mission. Call it a participation medal or whatever you want, but means something to the people that suffer through the bullshit.

weezy
08-08-2014, 05:24 AM
So it has been three months and still nothing. Is it really that hard to update everybody's Virtual? Oh I forgot the Air Forces networks aren't that automatic.

hgarmorer
09-10-2014, 05:28 AM
I talked to our J1 awhile back and they are waiting on AFPC to "update" MILPDS. They said if it happens before January, they'd be very surprised.

Stalwart
09-10-2014, 01:41 PM
I see the jokes about tater tots a lot and the nuclear guys in the AF?

Euphemism for something else or inside joke?

Capt Alfredo
09-11-2014, 10:49 AM
I see the jokes about tater tots a lot and the nuclear guys in the AF?

Euphemism for something else or inside joke?

A former squadron commander wrote a propaganda piece where she argued morale was high amongst missile units, largely due to their "signature dish," which included tater tots. It was a AF Times article, so you could easily find it.