PDA

View Full Version : Questions/Concerns/Issues with Forum upgrade

Bourne
05-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Please post all your questions about the forum upgrade here.

Thanks

Capt Alfredo
05-09-2014, 09:42 PM
So what's new? What upgrades were enacted?

Bourne
05-09-2014, 10:19 PM
So what's new? What upgrades were enacted?

The forum design was upgraded - are you not seeing the new blue theme? The software was also upgraded to the latest patch level to secure it against hackers.
Lastly, the forum itself was relocated to a new server which will hopefully help restore the functions lost previously, and alleviate a lot of the issues we used to have with it.

Please let me know if you encounter any problems!

Bourne

efmbman
05-09-2014, 10:55 PM
The embedded ads in the posts certainly do a great job slowing down the loading of pages. Everything seems to run and load slower. Progress!

Absinthe Anecdote
05-09-2014, 11:06 PM
It renders pretty good on an iPad but the default fonts are a bit too thin, it needs a heavier font.

I know I can customize my views, but you want your default settings to be readable.

wxjumper
05-09-2014, 11:55 PM
How come all the posts on the first page for the Air Force forum are from 2013?

wxjumper
05-09-2014, 11:56 PM
And my post count was over 1000, it now shows 363:confused:

Mjölnir
05-10-2014, 12:15 AM
And my post count was over 1000, it now shows 363:confused:

I think posts older than a certain date did not transfer. I have noticed a few users whose post count went down.

Mjölnir
05-10-2014, 12:18 AM
It also looks like thanks & likes reset to zero.

OtisRNeedleman
05-10-2014, 03:10 AM
I'll add my voice...what happened to all the recent posts and threads?

Capt Alfredo
05-10-2014, 04:01 AM
Performance has deteriorated significantly, if today is any guide. Having to reload multiple times, slow load times, etc. Not to mention everything recent seems dead.

UH1FE
05-10-2014, 04:24 AM
Must have used the same company that created healthcare.gov for the upgrade..........

technomage1
05-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Recent posts gone, my # of posts went from 3K+ to 888, and I don't see any avatars (including mine).

Chief_KO
05-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Terrible. Seems like all the posts from the last year are gone. Definitely needs to be worked on. I've never been one to complain about moderators or get on the why is someone in banned camp, but this recent "upgrade" is terrible...

Stalwart
05-10-2014, 02:05 PM
'Theme' colors are very bright.

Post counts seem to have been cut (probably from whatever the 'cutoff' day for migration of data was ... and also some older posts seem to have disappeared.)

Likes, thanks, dislikes have reset to zero (leaderboards reset too.)

Also appears that while I can enter the 'edit post' option, the changes will not save.

retiredAFcivvy
05-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Probably just the old RC (resistance to change) factor setting in but I don't care for it.
Is there still a "whats new" that allows to see the latest postings?

Mjölnir
05-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Probably just the old RC (resistance to change) factor setting in but I don't care for it.
Is there still a "whats new" that allows to see the latest postings?

Yes. Upper right portion of the screen. It has a big icon that looks like an eye.

Max Power
05-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Likes, thanks, dislikes have reset to zero (leaderboards reset too.)

They probably did that to remove all traces of Tak on the boards.

retiredAFcivvy
05-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks, I did see it about the time you replied.

DannyJ
05-10-2014, 07:52 PM
A darker theme option would be greatly appreciated! Also seems like my profiles migration didn't go so well... Says this is my first post rather than somewhere in the thousand + arena.:bsflag:

Also, as above...the emocons aren't functional.

Avatars besides Mjolinor not showing. Admin aboose.

ChiefB
05-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Feels like a bus driver's forum. (not that there is any thing wrong with that.)
No AF or military feel to site.
Looks like a juvenile attempt at forum appearance and layout for office workers.
History...kaput.
Stats...kaput.
Friends?... kaput
PMs... None.
Most common response... "This page is not available".
Familiar feel and association?... little.
Improved user capability? None.
Smooth transition?...No.
In thread advertising?... Plenty.

Progress? Not really. Improvement for users? Not really.

Result: Loss of historical context. Boring interface, poor participation, loss of followership, continuing aggravation and deterioration of base numbers. Combined with recent moderation crackdown, bannings, criticisms, arbitrary removal and movement of subject matter...Epic fail.
JMHO

Capt Alfredo
05-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Feels like a bus driver's forum. (not that there is any thing wrong with that.)
No AF or military feel to site.
Looks like a juvenile attempt at forum appearance and layout for office workers.
History...kaput.
Stats...kaput.
Friends?... kaput
PMs... None.
Most common response... "This page is not available".
Familiar feel and association?... little.
Improved user capability? None.
Smooth transition?...No.
In thread advertising?... Plenty.

Progress? Not really. Improvement for users? Not really.

Result: Loss of historical context. Boring interface, poor participation, loss of followership, continuing aggravation and deterioration of base numbers. Combined with recent moderation crackdown, bannings, criticisms, arbitrary removal and movement of subject matter...Epic fail.
JMHO

Yeah, the worst thing about it is that the forums are...just...fading away. A sad death.

DannyJ
05-11-2014, 01:08 AM
Yeah, the worst thing about it is that the forums are...just...being moderated to death. A sad death.

Fixed it for ya.

Bourne
05-11-2014, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the comments. First, I'll say we know this new site is a shock. We are sorry, but it was necessary. Here's why:

The old forum was a mess. It comprised 9 Gigabytes of:
110,000 accumulated spam and inactive user accounts (for years), and their posts.
Data duplicated and distorted from at least two previous major updates and server upgrades.
Data that was injected into the database from at least two known hack attempts.
And a lot of other messy stuff that just had to go.

You all spent the last several months without proper messaging, without new members, and so on, all because the security vulnerabilities of this 9 GB of messy data forced our host to lock down our site. Even while locked down, we had to plead with them not to shut it down completely.

Security was main reason we did this move. The new site is a fresh install, a new host, and only 400 megabytes of content from 2012 forward.

I won't lie. Some content will never be brought back, generally determined by age. Some we will add as we are able to do so safely, without reintroducing any hacks or vulnerabilities.

So please remember a couple key items:

1. We call this an "upgrade," but, in reality, the entire site was recreated. The old forum was too out of date and too messy to upgrade. So we built an entirely new site, and literally transplanted content. Unfortunately, any time you do that some content gets left behind, either because it is too old, too corrupt, or simply incompatible with the new site.

2. We consider this project ongoing. We didn't want to keep the forum offline for too long, so we opened it again to commenting, knowing some things would take longer to restore.
This means:
- Old content and history is NOT "lost" or "deleted." We have a backup. So, we will continue to restore data that makes sense and is safe to bring over, it'll just take time.
- We will work to speed up the forum if that is indeed a factor. We didn't encounter it during development, but will continue to look into it.
- We can and will still change things that don't make sense - font has been suggested, colors, etc.

With all of that said, other specific issues are addressed below:

Post counts going down
This is due to the archiving and removal of content pre-2012. This will go back up, as we are able to add the older content back to the site.

Missing 2013 content - It should be there, but may not be displaying for various reasons. We'll go back through and verify the database contents are as expected, and the search index is as expected.

Friends
We'll also check on this.

Likes/Thanks
Thanks and Likes were a part of an addon to the forum that should have been brought over from the old site. However, as it was a new install with new addons and software, the connection between the old thanks and likes appears to have broken and as yet we cannot find a way to restore it, but are aware and working on it.

Theme colors and Design
At the very bottom of the page, you can switch to one of a few different color options using the dropdown that says "Metro." Purple is probably closest to the old design.

Advertising
This was always there, albeit, there are more banners now outside threads as well. We had banners in threads previously though, or should have... Did you never actually have a banner displayed in your threads?

Bottom-line
We are sticking with "new." The old site was simply too horrendously fubar to keep (to use a movie cliche). However, we will do our best to make it a good experience. Some change is necessary, but hopefully we can make sure it is change for the better, not worse.

ChiefB
05-11-2014, 06:00 AM
[QUOTE]Thanks for the comments. First, I'll say we know this new site is a shock. We are sorry, but it was necessary. Here's why:

You are welcome. Your answers would have been so much more an amelioration of the results if having been given as a heads up shortly before/after the upgrade/redo depending on the subject.

The old forum was a mess. It comprised 9 Gigabytes of:
110,000 accumulated spam and inactive user accounts (for years), and their posts.
Data duplicated and distorted from at least two previous major updates and server upgrades.
Data that was injected into the database from at least two known hack attempts.
And a lot of other messy stuff that just had to go.

Understand.

You all spent the last several months without proper messaging, without new members, and so on, all because the security vulnerabilities of this 9 GB of messy data forced our host to lock down our site. Even while locked down, we had to plead with them not to shut it down completely.

Seems site management has been a bit remiss in their proper maintenance for no little while.

Security was main reason we did this move. The new site is a fresh install, a new host, and only 400 megabytes of content from 2012 forward.

Got it.

I won't lie. Some content will never be brought back, generally determined by age. Some we will add as we are able to do so safely, without reintroducing any hacks or vulnerabilities.

Good.

So please remember a couple key items:

1. We call this an "upgrade," but, in reality, the entire site was recreated. The old forum was too out of date and too messy to upgrade. So we built an entirely new site, and literally transplanted content. Unfortunately, any time you do that some content gets left behind, either because it is too old, too corrupt, or simply incompatible with the new site.

Seems that a lot of this comment we can expect to see in the near future. i.e. "...some content gets left behind, either because it is too old, too corrupt, or simply incompatible with the new site." This catch-all may get a little too convenient after a while. I hope not.

2. We consider this project ongoing. We didn't want to keep the forum offline for too long, so we opened it again to commenting, knowing some things would take longer to restore.
This means:

- Old content and history is NOT "lost" or "deleted." We have a backup. So, we will continue to restore data that makes sense and is safe to bring over, it'll just take time.

Good.

- We will work to speed up the forum if that is indeed a factor. We didn't encounter it during development, but will continue to look into it.

Good. Does this also include the many "unable to find that web page" notations?

- We can and will still change things that don't make sense - font has been suggested, colors, etc.

Good.

With all of that said, other specific issues are addressed below:

Post counts going down
This is due to the archiving and removal of content pre-2012. This will go back up, as we are able to add the older content back to the site.

Excellent.

Missing 2013 content - It should be there, but may not be displaying for various reasons. We'll go back through and verify the database contents are as expected, and the search index is as expected.

2013 at least will provide some backward continuity to current comments, positions and personalities.

Friends
We'll also check on this.

Good, because for many of us the friends list is the sole source of a poster's ability for SN contact ID and continuity.

Likes/Thanks
Thanks and Likes were a part of an add-on to the forum that should have been brought over from the old site. However, as it was a new install with new add-ons and software, the connection between the old thanks and likes appears to have broken and as yet we cannot find a way to restore it, but are aware and working on it.

Like/Thanks.:)

Theme colors and Design
At the very bottom of the page, you can switch to one of a few different color options using the dropdown that says "Metro." Purple is probably closest to the old design.

Colors are too stark, too bright. Need some subtlety. Some texture.

Advertising
This was always there, albeit, there are more banners now outside threads as well. We had banners in threads previously though, or should have... Did you never actually have a banner displayed in your threads?

Never had banners/adverts within individual posts until just recently. Used to be outside post frame,in right margin.

Bottom-line
We are sticking with "new." The old site was simply too horrendously fubar to keep (to use a movie cliche). However, we will do our best to make it a good experience. Some change is necessary, but hopefully we can make sure it is change for the better, not worse.

Thanks for a thoughtful reply. Good luck.

fourdegrees11
05-11-2014, 07:37 AM
I tried registering on this forum about 3 months ago. My account was created, but I was never able to post. I messaged several mods and the site admin help function. No response, no resolution. The day after this new forum is up I have a new account that works. This forum was previously impossible to join for new members...

Mjölnir
05-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Also, as above...the emocons aren't functional.

Avatars besides Mjolinor not showing.

My avatar did transfer, I did not reload it.

Emoticon test: :o :confused: :p edit: (it does look like most emoticons are still not working)

PM's should be working, I have tested a few with various members.

DannyJ
05-11-2014, 07:06 PM
My avatar did transfer, I did not reload it.

Emoticon test: :o :confused: :p edit: (it does look like most emoticons are still not working)

PM's should be working, I have tested a few with various members.

3 This seems to be the issue. Unless I'm completely not getting it. Where is the option to upload/select a pic for avatar?

Mjölnir
05-11-2014, 07:59 PM
3 This seems to be the issue. Unless I'm completely not getting it. Where is the option to upload/select a pic for avatar?

DannyJ

1. Left hand side of the screen, under <<My Settings>> select "Edit Avatar"

2. On the next screen, check the option for <<Use Custom Avatar>>
a. Option A is to use a photo from the web
b. Option B is to upload a photo from your computer

It looks like the photo you have uploaded is used as your profile picture vice your avatar. Let me know if you don't have the same options in my attached photo.

DannyJ
05-11-2014, 08:38 PM
DannyJ

1. Left hand side of the screen, under <<My Settings>> select "Edit Avatar"

2. On the next screen, check the option for <<Use Custom Avatar>>
a. Option A is to use a photo from the web
b. Option B is to upload a photo from your computer

It looks like the photo you have uploaded is used as your profile picture vice your avatar. Let me know if you don't have the same options in my attached photo.

I do not have the options as in your picture.

Max Power
05-11-2014, 08:55 PM

Ditto.
////

Mjölnir
05-11-2014, 09:15 PM

I was able to change your profile pic using the moderator control panel, which was also me testing if that was still a function. It looks like the User Options are allowing you to add a profile picture but not an avatar picture.

Ditto.
////

Same thing here, it looks like your signature picture is not being displayed either. Are you able to edit your signature?

Going to have to bump this to the SysAdmin. In the moderator control panel, there is an option to retain custom avatar and profile photos, but it is an admin override and I cannot change that.

Max Power
05-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Same thing here, it looks like your signature picture is not being displayed either. Are you able to edit your signature?

Going to have to bump this to the SysAdmin. In the moderator control panel, there is an option to retain custom avatar and profile photos, but it is an admin override and I cannot change that.

It looks like images and .GIFs in signatures is currently not allowed in the signature settings.

garhkal
05-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Does everyone's post have to have an ad in the post?

Bourne
05-12-2014, 01:22 AM

Not all, just the first and last post on a page.

Thank you for pointing out the issues with signatures and avatars. These should be corrected.

Please continue to let us know about things that aren't working as they should.

Best,

DannyJ
05-12-2014, 04:06 AM

Nope, but I do see this SPAM all over the darn place...5

Any chance admins could restrict how big signature lines can get to avoid this kind of thing?

AND it appears someone has fixed my avatar. Thanks!!

BISSBOSS
05-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Yeah, the worst thing about it is that the forums are...just...fading away. A sad death.

Concur... I have lost interest for fear of running afoul of some unpublished or unevenly applied policy or accidentally walking into a feud between moderators and users.

Really puts a choke-hold on expressing ideas or opinions freely.

Not as cool a place to hang out anymore.

-BB-

Mjölnir
05-12-2014, 01:39 PM
It looks like images and .GIFs in signatures is currently not allowed in the signature settings.

They are now. That is one of my better photos, but I do image better from a left profile.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
05-12-2014, 01:47 PM
About those ads. I'll agree to have them in all of my posts for 3% share of any profits.

TSgt"M"
05-12-2014, 02:20 PM
I keep getting a flag that says I'm using a proxy, but I'm not.

Bourne
05-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Nope, but I do see this SPAM all over the darn place...5

Any chance admins could restrict how big signature lines can get to avoid this kind of thing?

AND it appears someone has fixed my avatar. Thanks!!

Spam or not, this is a good point. Signatures of any size on a page would be daunting to read through, especially when there is more than one.

We have added a limit of 100px to signature images. Also, We have disabled the ability to add images to your signature with the IMG code.

To setup a signature image, simply upload it now from the User Control Panel:
Click Settings - http://forums.militarytimes.com/usercp.php
> Scroll Down
> Click "Edit Signature" on the left
> Scroll down past the entry box to "Signature Picture"

Sorry for those of you who will have to redo your signature Max Power.

Thanks for your suggestions and patience.

Bourne
05-12-2014, 02:30 PM
About those ads. I'll agree to have them in all of my posts for 3% share of any profits.

That's reasonable. You can start to expect the arrival of checks in amounts equal to or less than the stamp used to mail them, once every year or so. :p

Bourne
05-12-2014, 02:32 PM
I keep getting a flag that says I'm using a proxy, but I'm not.

Are you still seeing it?

TSgt"M"
05-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Are you still seeing it?

Nope, it seems to have gone away.

CJSmith
05-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Is it possible to change the thread default sort order back to the latest post? Currently (at least for me) whenever I click on the AF forums, the first thread that appears is "< One Month Left!". I have to click the Last Post By twice to view what thread was posted in last.

Bourne
05-12-2014, 07:32 PM
I'll add my voice...what happened to all the recent posts and threads?
We aren't sure, this was the bulk of the data we tried to preserve. The fact that its not showing is troubling.

However, please check that your likes & thanks have returned.
Mentions unfortunately we are not able to restore.

Cerberus
05-12-2014, 07:51 PM
We aren't sure, this was the bulk of the data we tried to preserve. The fact that its not showing is troubling.

The threads and posts are there. But some of the forums load in a different order than "newest first" when you click on a forum. Like CJSMith said, the AF forum does this, as do the others in "Military Service" section of the forum. The other sections of seem to all loads "newest first."

Bourne
05-12-2014, 08:31 PM
The threads and posts are there. But some of the forums load in a different order than "newest first" when you click on a forum. Like CJSMith said, the AF forum does this, as do the others in "Military Service" section of the forum. The other sections of seem to all loads "newest first."
Nice catch, all.

The "missing" content was simply displayed at the end. The sort order was "title" not "date"

This should be corrected now for all forums.

Thanks,

garhkal
05-12-2014, 08:35 PM

That would be sweet. As long as we have a say in which adverts appear in our posts!

Capt Alfredo
05-13-2014, 12:28 AM
That would be sweet. As long as we have a say in which adverts appear in our posts!

I've got adblock/adblock plus installed, so I don't see any of that crap.

wxjumper
05-13-2014, 12:36 AM
I've got adblock/adblock plus installed, so I don't see any of that crap.Yeah, I have no idea what these clowns are talking about. They must still be using IE6.

Max Power
05-13-2014, 01:16 AM
Sorry for those of you who will have to redo your signature Max Power.

Thanks for your suggestions and patience.

http://makeameme.org/media/created/patriarchy-and-oppression.jpg

ChiefB
05-13-2014, 01:47 AM
I did none of these, never been to these threads:
05-06-2014

10:15 PM - ChiefB (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=12061) clicked Likes for this post: Re: Today's trick question (win a prize) (http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php/6629-Re-Today-s-trick-question-(win-a-prize)?p=285461#post285461) by Gunner007 (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=8400)
10:00 PM - ChiefB (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=12061) clicked Likes for this post: Re: Good resources for military-to-civilian resume writing? (http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php/6616-Re-Good-resources-for-military-to-civilian-resume-writing?p=284633#post284633) by Gunner007 (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=8400)
09:50 PM - ChiefB (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=12061) clicked Likes for this post: Re: Sensor Operator Retraining (1U0X1) (http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php/6455-Re-Sensor-Operator-Retraining-(1U0X1)?p=283987#post283987) by Michaep (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=11561)
09:49 PM - ChiefB (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=12061) clicked Likes for this post: Re: Sensor Operator Retraining (1U0X1) (http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php/6455-Re-Sensor-Operator-Retraining-(1U0X1)?p=283919#post283919) by

giggawatt
05-13-2014, 11:52 AM
How come there's only a navigation arrow to the last page of the thread? How do you navigate to the next page in a thread?

ChiefB
05-14-2014, 06:09 AM
05-06-2014

10:15 PM - ChiefB (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=12061) clicked Likes for this post: Re: Today's trick question (win a prize) (http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php/6629-Re-Today-s-trick-question-(win-a-prize)?p=285461#post285461) by Gunner007 (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=8400)
10:00 PM - ChiefB (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=12061) clicked Likes for this post: Re: Good resources for military-to-civilian resume writing? (http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php/6616-Re-Good-resources-for-military-to-civilian-resume-writing?p=284633#post284633) by Gunner007 (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=8400)
09:50 PM - ChiefB (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=12061) clicked Likes for this post: Re: Sensor Operator Retraining (1U0X1) (http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php/6455-Re-Sensor-Operator-Retraining-(1U0X1)?p=283987#post283987) by Michaep (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=11561)
09:49 PM - ChiefB (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=12061) clicked Likes for this post: Re: Sensor Operator Retraining (1U0X1) (http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php/6455-Re-Sensor-Operator-Retraining-(1U0X1)?p=283919#post283919) by

Hello, Bourne, et al... how can this happen? What can be done? Any suggestions?

Mjölnir
05-14-2014, 10:31 AM
How come there's only a navigation arrow to the last page of the thread? How do you navigate to the next page in a thread?

There should be an arrow ( > ) to the left of the LAST> button, do you not see that on your screen?

Mjölnir
05-14-2014, 10:40 AM
05-06-2014

Were those recent 'likes' or older ones (did you just get the notification about them)?

How does this happen?
1. Does anyone else have your password or access to your account?
2. If not, I recommend changing your password, since the times all look like someone did have access for at least 25 minutes. This was not a test of the moderators on the like system or anything like that (moderators cannot access user accounts to make posts/likes etc. or change your password to give us access. That is not in the permissions for our accounts.)

What can be done about it?
1. I cannot delete individual 'likes, dislikes or thanks', even editing the post does not give the option to remove a 'like.' The only thing I know that will remove the like is to delete the post it is attached to; I would prefer not to do that without the posts author giving the okay.

Mjölnir
05-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Bourne

It also seems that posting photos is not working as well.

Mjölnir
05-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Everyone,
please check your privacy settings and make sure you are not displaying any data on you that you do not want displayed. The upgrade may have set it back to the default

giggawatt
05-14-2014, 02:23 PM
There should be an arrow ( > ) to the left of the LAST> button, do you not see that on your screen?

It seems I was viewing the page on the wrong settings.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
05-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Everyone check your bios to see if your DOB is visible to the public. If it is, click on Forum Actions, Edit Profile to change your settings. Apparently the new format unhid the DOBs.

Bourne
05-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Everyone check your bios to see if your DOB is visible to the public. If it is, click on Forum Actions, Edit Profile to change your settings. Apparently the new format unhid the DOBs.

DOB should be hidden now by default.

Class5Kayaker
05-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the heads-up FLAPS!

It's NOT. I just checked mine and had to manually change it. Mods, you really need to get this fixed ASAP. That's PII and not many folks are reading this thread.

Bourne
05-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Bourne

It also seems that posting photos is not working as well.

What method are you attempting? Attachment, Insert image, or IMG code?

Thanks,

Mjölnir
05-14-2014, 04:19 PM
What method are you attempting? Attachment, Insert image, or IMG code?

Thanks,

Insert Image using the 'clicky' on the screen. It worked day before yesterday.

Stalwart
05-14-2014, 06:25 PM

I am not sure if it is supposed to be this way, I use Firefox and do not see any adds, on IE I do.

sandsjames
05-14-2014, 07:39 PM

Mine was not. Just checked it and changed it. Default is still showing date of birth.

Bourne
05-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Mine was not. Just checked it and changed it. Default is still showing date of birth.

This should be corrected now.

ChiefB
05-15-2014, 02:57 AM
Were those recent 'likes' or older ones (did you just get the notification about them)?

Just got the notification yesterday.

How does this happen?
. Does anyone else have your password or access to your account?

Not that I know of.

2. If not, I recommend changing your password, since the times all look like someone did have access for at least 25 minutes. This was not a test of the moderators on the like system or anything like that (moderators cannot access user accounts to make posts/likes etc. or change your password to give us access. That is not in the permissions for our accounts.)

Will do.

What can be done about it?

1. I cannot delete individual 'likes, dislikes or thanks', even editing the post does not give the option to remove a 'like.' The only thing I know that will remove the like is to delete the post it is attached to; I would prefer not to do that without the posts author giving the okay.

I don't need to have anything deleted. I just wanted to know how I can prevent it happening in future.

Bourne
05-15-2014, 03:35 PM
I don't need to have anything deleted. I just wanted to know how I can prevent it happening in future.

This is probably just due to the way we restored the Thanks/Likes. Mjölnir is right to ask you to secure your account as a first measure of safety. But, in this case, I'm almost certain the culprit is the migration of thanks/likes from the old system.

You should not worry.

Thanks,

CYBERFX1024
05-15-2014, 04:37 PM
How do I go and like a post now?

Mjölnir
05-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Some threads that appear to have not made it beyond the upgrade (have disappeared from the timelines/subforum timelines etc.) are still there. This worked even if the thread could not be found with the search tool.

IF YOU KNOW THE THREAD YOU ARE LOOKING FOR & SOMEONE WHO HAD POSTED IN IT:

1. look up their profile
2. View their post history / recent posts.
3. Scroll through and find the thread.
4. If you post in the thread, it has the effect of 'necroposting' the thread back into the timeline.

Right now it is a work around, but it may help a few people find content that would otherwise be lost for now.

ChiefB
05-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Any particular reason why the "Post Thanks/Like", "Thank, Like and dislike" selection bar has been removed from all my posts... for the past three days??

Bourne
05-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Any particular reason why the "Post Thanks/Like", "Thank, Like and dislike" selection bar has been removed from all my posts... for the past three days??

You will never see buttons for Thanks/Likes on your own posts. Only on the posts of others. Just like you, however, users can see Thanks/Like buttons on your posts, but not their own.

As you can see above, it is still possible to thank or like your content. If there is nothing in that area, it simply means someone has yet to Thank or Like it.

Bourne
05-16-2014, 09:35 PM
The brief outages today were due to server patches our web host was implementing, which required the servers to be restarted. The forum is fine otherwise, and operating as expected.

Thanks for your patience.

ChiefB
05-17-2014, 12:22 AM
You will never see buttons for Thanks/Likes on your own posts. Only on the posts of others. Just like you, however, users can see Thanks/Like buttons on your posts, but not their own.

As you can see above, it is still possible to thank or like your content. If there is nothing in that area, it simply means someone has yet to Thank or Like it.

Thanks... I thought the "Bar" was there regardless. I don't see any selection bar on your post #74 either.?? Added: The selection bar appeared when I posted just now. You guys are *&^%$ with me. :) (The emoticons don't work.)

GeoDude
05-19-2014, 12:23 PM
So some viking dude just messaged me and said I have been "warned" - could someone please explain to me what the heck he is talking about? I haven't touched my signature since I created my profile yesterday.

Dear GeoDude,

You have received a warning at Military Times Forums.

Reason:
-------
Spammed Advertisements

Your signature line contains two url's that could be considered advertising as well as I can see you tried to embed the link using a URL code. Both of these are not allowed per the community guidelines. Please edit your signature line and review the community guidelines.

Advertising and solicitation
Posts that include advertising, solicitation or promotions may be removed. Members intent on spamming our communities may find their posting privileges revoked without additional warning.

Hyperlinks
Including links to informative and helpful sites is part of Internet communication. Choosing to click on a link is your decision. We do not screen links. However, posts may be removed if a hyperlink is not in the following format -- www.wheredoesthislinkgo.com (http://www.wheredoesthislinkgo.com) or .org or any number of acceptable addresses. The key here is no hidden agendas. Tell us where the link goes so our members may make informed decisions on whether to click or not. Remember: We do not screen links in posts, but may remove a post if the link is determined to be inappropriate.
-------

Original Post:
http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?p=341539 (http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?p=341539#post341539)
This RobotChicken character sounds like a cool guy.

Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Military Times Forums

GeoDude
05-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Okay so I just figured out how to edit signatures... I didn't insert links in my signature - so I don't know where those came from.

technomage1
05-19-2014, 12:33 PM
I acutally can see ads in some of my posts (and others, too) that I know I didn't insert. Not sure what happened or if that's what happened in GeoDude's case, only reporting what I saw/know.

Mjölnir
05-19-2014, 02:12 PM
GeoDude

You did not insert the url ads into your signature line? That is not done by the new software, you may want to check that.

technomage1

Advertising is now inserted alongside the top and bottom posts on a page. Gotta pay the rent.

GeoDude
05-19-2014, 03:33 PM
@GeoDude (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=16521)

You did not insert the url ads into your signature line? That is not done by the new software, you may want to check that.

@technomage1 (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php?u=7974)

Advertising is now inserted alongside the top and bottom posts on a page. Gotta pay the rent.

No I did not. And as I cold tell they were completely generic adware or something like that - so even if I was trying to advertize my website or my blog, it wouldn't be those.

GeoDude
05-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Okay so apparently posting emails is an "infraction" for posting a public response to a private message. Which is hilarious because I can't send private messages in the first place. So I literally can't respond to these "violations" in any other way.

So here's my question Viking Dude - I've been here less than a day and you're already trying to get rid of me. Why?

No. And if I did insert links, they would be to something useful - like my Tumblr blog or online store - not for slipcovers or whatever that one link was for.

Mjölnir
05-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Okay so apparently posting emails is an "infraction" for posting a public response to a private message. Which is hilarious because I can't send private messages in the first place. So I literally can't respond to these "violations" in any other way.

So here's my question Viking Dude - I've been here less than a day and you're already trying to get rid of me. Why?

Prior to the recent upgrade to the software, we lost the ability to use infractions, warnings or private messages which meant forum moderation had to be done publicly; which is not good for users, moderators or the community in general. Your ability to send private messages may not be working correctly, so will answer you here. Glad to have you back and am not at all trying to get rid of you; if that was the case banning is a couple of clicks but I have no desire to do that unless it is necessary. That said, I suggest you review the Community Guidelines since you seem to not be familiar with them.

GeoDude
05-19-2014, 04:27 PM

No, and I'm not affiliated with either of the websites that were linked. What's strange is they look so generic, I didn't even look at them, I assumed they were ads embedded in the page. I inserted them below, with a "break" in the address so it won't post as a link.

http://www. BREAK flashdrivesusb.com] BREAK Flash Drives USB
http://www.surefitslipcovers. BREAK org]Sure Fit Slipcovers

Bourne
05-19-2014, 11:34 PM
"Newbies" cannot Private Message.
GeoDude - Please look at a minor infraction like this more like an official communication.
We only have a couple ways to reach individual users: Private Messages and infractions.
A Private Message, as you put it, from "some Viking Dude," doesn't immediately indicate to users that a corrective action is requested. PMs can be ignored or missed altogether. So, we use infractions as a means to alert users that a change is requested, in a way that is official and attention-grabbing.

We are not trying to get rid of you. Mjölnir is just following protocol for alerting you that the sig needed needed to be changed.

It is my fault for not alerting Mjölnir to the new permissions change that limits the private messaging for "Newbies"

I'll look into why it had the spam links in it.

GeoDude
05-20-2014, 12:33 AM
No, I don't know how the links appeared in the sig. I've never heard of that happening to anyone else either. :/

Stalwart
05-21-2014, 10:47 AM
On the activity screen, the ad seems to overlay the entire page, any link I try to click opens a new page for 5-hour energy. On the forum home page this is not happening.

Chief_KO
05-21-2014, 01:18 PM
The Five Hour energy ad is taking over. I have to try multiple forum updates before I can find one that lets me in. Most go to a full page 5-hour ad that you can't minimize or anything but close.

Measure Man
05-21-2014, 03:47 PM
The Five Hour energy ad is taking over. I have to try multiple forum updates before I can find one that lets me in. Most go to a full page 5-hour ad that you can't minimize or anything but close.

I was sitting on the toilet this morning using the ipad...and I noticed whenever I clicked on a link from the "Activity Stream" it went straight to the 5-hour Energy ad.

From my desktop, it does not do that.

I must say it has worked...annoying pop-up ads really motivate me to buy their product.

I'm all for advertisers coming here and hawking their wares...I just don't think disruption is the best way to do it.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-21-2014, 08:32 PM
I was sitting on the toilet this morning using the ipad...and I noticed whenever I clicked on a link from the "Activity Stream" it went straight to the 5-hour Energy ad.

From my desktop, it does not do that.

I must say it has worked...annoying pop-up ads really motivate me to buy their product.

I'm all for advertisers coming here and hawking their wares...I just don't think disruption is the best way to do it.

Remind me to never borrow your iPad.

I am an iPad user and the five-hour energy add is very annoying, it sometimes activates a pop-up window from the entire forum. I suspect the HTML for the ad has faulty line of code.

Bourne
05-22-2014, 12:02 AM
Wow. That was annoying.

Sorry for the oversight there. It should be corrected now. The wallpaper campaign that is running on the current military sites was also trying to run here mistakenly.

sandsjames
05-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Seems like the longer user names are bleeding over into the posts. For some reason it's not having them "wrap around" or decreasing the font size. I'm on a PC, so not sure if phones are having the same issue. Makes it difficult to read the first couple lines of a post.

Mjölnir
05-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Seems like the longer user names are bleeding over into the posts. For some reason it's not having them "wrap around" or decreasing the font size. I'm on a PC, so not sure if phones are having the same issue. Makes it difficult to read the first couple lines of a post.

I am not seeing what you are describing. Shove_your_stupid_meeting would be one I can think of, but for me is wrapping (I am using Firefox BTW)

Can you screenshot this?

sandsjames
05-23-2014, 02:36 PM
I am not seeing what you are describing. Shove_your_stupid_meeting would be one I can think of, but for me is wrapping (I am using Firefox BTW)

Can you screenshot this?

He is the one that's not wrapping around for me. Using IE at work. I'll try to get a screen shot.

Mjölnir
05-23-2014, 04:34 PM

He is the one that's not wrapping around for me. Using IE at work. I'll try to get a screen shot.

Got them. I am not sure, I opened MTF with IE as well and it appears to be working for me. Let me try a couple versions of IE.

sandsjames
05-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Got them. I am not sure, I opened MTF with IE as well and it appears to be working for me. Let me try a couple versions of IE.

Like I said, I'm at work, so I'm using IE8. Way to keep up to date DOD!

Mjölnir
05-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Like I said, I'm at work, so I'm using IE8. Way to keep up to date DOD!

Did it do the same thing on your browser at home? I can't replicate that error with older versions of IE (we have several different computers with a variety of browsers.)

sandsjames
05-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Did it do the same thing on your browser at home? I can't replicate that error with older versions of IE (we have several different computers with a variety of browsers.)

I will check later. Probably doesn't. No biggy, just wanted to bring it to your attention just in case someone else was having the same problem.

Thanks for checking.

Rizzo77
05-24-2014, 03:48 AM
WTF is the deal with the advertisements? I do not like them.

Rizzo77
05-25-2014, 03:54 AM
Hello, crickets?

PTB, be advised that if my posts are all going to be associated with advertisements, I must cease participation on the site.

Mjölnir
05-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Hello, crickets?

PTB, be advised that if my posts are all going to be associated with advertisements, I must cease participation on the site.

Only the first and last posts should have ads in them so the ads are not associated to the poster.

As said before, have to pay the rent.

Bourne
05-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Only the first and last posts should have ads in them so the ads are not associated to the poster.

As said before, have to pay the rent.
Rizzo77
Yes, it affects everyone, so there is no reason people should associate the ads with you. Obviously, if you just made a post, that will be the last one on the page for a given thread, but it will go away once someone else posts.

GeoDude
06-11-2014, 02:29 AM
Just out of curiosity - why are moderators allowed to publicly discuss bannings, but members are not?

sandsjames
06-11-2014, 02:31 AM
Curious about a thread that was here...then gone. Was it in the wrong area? Or is the question thread only for questions that don't question Mods?

Mjölnir
06-11-2014, 02:57 AM
/thread merged

If you mean questions or discussion, then discuss away. If you mean using veiled profanity or just bashing the moderators, that is disruptive.

As I have said, if you have criticism please bring it up. But there is a difference between being critical and confrontational.

sandsjames
06-11-2014, 11:28 AM
/thread merged

If you mean questions or discussion, then discuss away. If you mean using veiled profanity or just bashing the moderators, that is disruptive.

As I have said, if you have criticism please bring it up. But there is a difference between being critical and confrontational.

Ok...here is a critical question regarding a recent banning. How can one person be banned for comments that were made by three different people while the other two people making the same comments in the same conversation are not?

Mjölnir
06-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Ok...here is a critical question regarding a recent banning. How can one person be banned for comments that were made by three different people while the other two people making the same comments in the same conversation are not?

The person who was banned already had current infractions. The other two did not.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-11-2014, 12:09 PM

The exact same thing happens in kindergartens every day. Why just this morning, I was out for a morning walk and passed by a Kindergarten school yard.

Little Billy, Johnny, and Tommy were calling Little James of the Sandbox a poopie-face; right on cue, the play ground supervisor ran over to the sandbox and made little Billy go inside.

Little James, bless his heart, was having none of that and started shouting they said poopie-face too! When the playground supervisor ignored little James, he became quite irate, he was stamping his feet, shouting "punish them too!" His face turned blue, snot was running down his nose, and then he pissed his pants.

I shouted, "way to go, Snot Nose James!" and ran away as the children started chanting in unison, " Snot nosed James! Snot nosed James!"

sandsjames
06-11-2014, 12:22 PM
The person who was banned already had current infractions. The other two did not.

Okie dokie...

GeoDude
06-11-2014, 03:21 PM

First off that's false - I didn't have "current" infractions - mine were all expired.

Secondly - why weren't the other offending posts at least deleted or edited?

Thirdly - my "infraction" was when I was accused of putting ads next to posts - that's not even related to being "offensive".

Rusty Jones
06-11-2014, 03:39 PM
I've learned awhile back that moderators - and not just on MTF, but in general - cannot be reasoned with. They're going to do whatever they're going to do, and that's that.

I've lost many facebook friends over the years. Why?

It really irks me when facebook friends make a status update announcing that they're going to scrub their friends list, and warning people not to be mad if they're among the ones to be deleted. And then I find it humorous, when people post comments asking "I'm safe, right?"

Even if I probably wasn't going to be deleted, I'll go right up to those statuses and post a smart ass comment, or rip them a new one for making such an announcement. Seriously: who in the FUCK are YOU that your "friendship" is so fucking valuable that people will beg you not to take it away from them, and that they'll hold on for dear life just to keep it? Are you really that fucking special?

Or, someone might warn that if you say this, or joke about that, then they'll block you. I'll go right ahead and do it, and get blocked - not giving two shits, either way.

I don't care. A facebook account holder might "own" their page, and a moderator may "own" or be a steward of a message board... but they don't own ME, and I will NEVER behave as if they do. So all this begging and pleading with moderators? Don't do it. Your dignity is more important.

TJMAC77SP
06-11-2014, 05:15 PM
I've learned awhile back that moderators - and not just on MTF, but in general - cannot be reasoned with. They're going to do whatever they're going to do, and that's that.

I've lost many facebook friends over the years. Why?

It really irks me when facebook friends make a status update announcing that they're going to scrub their friends list, and warning people not to be mad if they're among the ones to be deleted. And then I find it humorous, when people post comments asking "I'm safe, right?"

Even if I probably wasn't going to be deleted, I'll go right up to those statuses and post a smart ass comment, or rip them a new one for making such an announcement. Seriously: who in the FUCK are YOU that your "friendship" is so fucking valuable that people will beg you not to take it away from them, and that they'll hold on for dear life just to keep it? Are you really that fucking special?

Or, someone might warn that if you say this, or joke about that, then they'll block you. I'll go right ahead and do it, and get blocked - not giving two shits, either way.

I don't care. A facebook account holder might "own" their page, and a moderator may "own" or be a steward of a message board... but they don't own ME, and I will NEVER behave as if they do. So all this begging and pleading with moderators? Don't do it. Your dignity is more important.

Rusty, Every once in awhile we find ourselves on the same side of an issue. This is one of those times.

sandsjames
06-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Rusty, Every once in awhile we find ourselves on the same side of an issue. This is one of those times.

"It's the end of the world as we know it."

TJMAC77SP
06-11-2014, 05:20 PM
"It's the end of the world as we know it."

Naaaa, it's happened once (maybe twice) before. Of course the full moon is tomorrow so there might be an explanation there.

Chris_1991-2011
06-27-2014, 02:23 AM
I have questions that aren’t related to the Forum upgrade, but since I’m a Newbie (restricted account) I can only reply to posts/threads. (I’m also unable to send messages, so I can’t contact a mod.) How does this site work? Do you have to have a certain number of posts to become a member? If so how many….and how? I replied to a thread in the AF forum on the 16th or 17th. After hitting “submit reply” there was a message about the post needing to be reviewed by a mod. How long does it take to review a post?

I’ve searched the site for an FAQ that explains how to become a member/have an un/less restricted account without luck. On 5/15 I was able to send a message to Mjolner and received a reply the same day. (His advice/help didn’t work.) For whatever reason I can no longer message anyone. I’ve sent several messages to the site admin via the “contact us” link without a reply. I’m at my wits end as it appears this site is geared to prevent people from joining. Assuming this post actually posts/shows up I’m looking for a way to get some help/answers. Thanks in advance.

Chris_1991-2011
06-27-2014, 02:28 AM
:o Please disregard last post. (Obviously I did something wrong when attempting to reply to the thread in the AF forum.) My bad. (I'd edit/delete previous post if I could.)

Mjölnir
06-27-2014, 06:11 AM
:o Please disregard last post. (Obviously I did something wrong when attempting to reply to the thread in the AF forum.) My bad. (I'd edit/delete previous post if I could.)

No worries. I remember sending you a PM with some instructions, you said it didn't help?

I haven't seen a post that needed approval (which is normal or new joins.) Your post above looks to have posted without approval, so the issue may have worked out.

Chris_1991-2011
06-28-2014, 12:54 AM
No worries. I remember sending you a PM with some instructions, you said it didn't help?

I haven't seen a post that needed approval (which is normal or new joins.) Your post above looks to have posted without approval, so the issue may have worked out.

To say your instructions didn’t help is true in that, as it turns out, nothing was actually wrong. Somewhere along the line I think something confused me and/or didn’t seem right, and I thought something was wrong with my account or with the registration process. Regarding the e-mail (needing approval) I don’t know what to say other than I must have been daydreaming and imagined seeing something about my post needing approval or, more than likely, I did something wrong. So basically the only “issue” I had was…..me, and everything appears to be as it should. I appreciate your response/assistance. Thanks.

P.S. I typed the above post in Word before logging in. I just logged in and found that I had a notification (New Post Quotes). Your quote is listed along with this:

06-17-2014

10:38 PM - Chris_1991-2011 (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php/16517-Chris_1991-2011) quoted fufu (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php/9153-fufu) in post Deleted Posts
10:37 PM - Chris_1991-2011 (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php/16517-Chris_1991-2011) quoted fufu (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php/9153-fufu) in post Deleted Posts

So I guess I may, or may not, have imagined getting some sort of message regarding my post needing approval. Given that with my accounts current permissions, I can only post replies; I could not have deleted my posts. (I can’t even edit my posts with current permissions.) So something is wrong and/or a bit off. Oh well I guess…

Chris_1991-2011
06-28-2014, 12:58 AM
To say your instructions didn’t help is true in that, as it turns out, nothing was actually wrong. Somewhere along the line I think something confused me and/or didn’t seem right, and I thought something was wrong with my account or with the registration process. Regarding the e-mail (needing approval) I don’t know what to say other than I must have been daydreaming and imagined seeing something about my post needing approval or, more than likely, I did something wrong. So basically the only “issue” I had was…..me, and everything appears to be as it should. I appreciate your response/assistance. Thanks.

P.S. I typed the above post in Word before logging in. I just logged in and found that I had a notification (New Post Quotes). Your quote is listed along with this:

06-17-2014

10:38 PM - Chris_1991-2011 (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php/16517-Chris_1991-2011) quoted fufu (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php/9153-fufu) in post Deleted Posts
10:37 PM - Chris_1991-2011 (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php/16517-Chris_1991-2011) quoted fufu (http://forums.militarytimes.com/member.php/9153-fufu) in post Deleted Posts

So I guess I may, or may not, have imagined getting some sort of message regarding my post needing approval. Given that with my accounts current permissions, I can only post replies; I could not have deleted my posts. (I can’t even edit my posts with current permissions.) So something is wrong and/or a bit off. Oh well I guess…

(If this post appears/posts, then posts that quote other members need moderator approval. I just quoted Mjölnir's last post and got a message about it needing mod approval. My first 2 posts above posted without issue.)

Mjölnir
06-28-2014, 01:17 AM
(If this post appears/posts, then posts that quote other members need moderator approval. I just quoted Mjölnir's last post and got a message about it needing mod approval. My first 2 posts above posted without issue.)

That may be the issue.

As a moderator, I don't have the ability to see what permissions are given to a new member vice a junior or senior members.

I did see that the two posts above both required moderator approval (done) so the next step to get beyond that may be to comment on the boards to move from being a new member (newbie-restricted) to a junior member.

Sorry you had a difficult start to the Forums, but welcome nonetheless.

Chris_1991-2011
06-28-2014, 01:21 AM
Something is defiantly screwy with this site. First 2 times I try and post something (6/17) I get a message indicating they need mod approval. Ten days later I’m notified they were apparently deleted. Yesterday I successfully and without issue post my first 2 posts on this site. A few minutes ago I quoted Mjölnir and got the message regarding mod approval. Then I tried posting the same message, not quoting, I get the message regarding Mod approval, and now under Mjölnir’s post it sort of looks like I posted except it says “Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.”

IMHO this site has a few issues. First there should be some type of FAQ that explains the registration process, what restrictions a newly registered account/member has, and what must be done to gain full permissions/become a member. Second is change/alter the permissions a newly registered account has. I understand the need to restrict what/how a newbie posts, but a new account should have the ability to seek help. On 5/15 I was able to PM Mjölnir and receive his response. Now, I can’t PM anyone and using the “contact us” link yields crickets. There should be an avenue, FAQ and/or ability to PM, for people to get answers/help. Third issue is outlined in the above paragraph. Sometimes a newbie’s posts appear, sometimes they disappear/get deleted…

Mjölnir
06-28-2014, 02:00 AM
Something is defiantly screwy with this site.

"screwy" is one way of putting it. I am still adjusting to the new version of the site as well.

IMHO this site has a few issues. First there should be some type of FAQ that explains the registration process, what restrictions a newly registered account/member has, and what must be done to gain full permissions/become a member.

This is a really good suggestion. I will work with the other moderator and the admin to start this up.

Second is change/alter the permissions a newly registered account has. I understand the need to restrict what/how a newbie posts, but a new account should have the ability to seek help. On 5/15 I was able to PM Mjölnir and receive his response. Now, I can’t PM anyone and using the “contact us” link yields crickets.

I am not sure about the permissions a newly registered member may have. The Forum software was upgraded and the boards essentially rebuilt right before the time period you are talking about.

Normally a new member does not have the permissions to send PM's so would need to post in the Questions Forum. I remember your PM from last month, so not sure if the permissions were getting tweaked when you sent it or not.

There should be an avenue, FAQ and/or ability to PM, for people to get answers/help. Third issue is outlined in the above paragraph. Sometimes a newbie’s posts appear, sometimes they disappear/get deleted…

I like the suggestion for a FAQ thread. In lieu of being able to send a PM, you did the next best available thing and posted in the forum. Your most recent post (that does not have a quote) appeared without moderator approval, so it may be that posts with attachments or quotes are what is restricted initially. I can imagine it would be frustrating and I will see what I can do to apply some lessons learned.

EDIT: I think I know where some of your posts "disappeared" to. There is an option in the control panel for Moderators to approve moderated posts. We used to get a notice for this, but it doesn't look like that happens any longer. I just approved a couple of posts that had been queued up for a while.

Again, thanks for your patience and suggestions.

dberns
12-29-2014, 09:59 PM
how do you edit your profile?

Mjölnir
12-29-2014, 11:08 PM
how do you edit your profile?

In the tool bar on your screen, click on the link that says "FORUM ACTIONS", the option to edit your profile is there.

Welcome to MTF!

dberns
12-30-2014, 02:03 AM
there is no where on the page that says forum actions

dberns
12-30-2014, 02:07 AM
In the tool bar on your screen, click on the link that says "FORUM ACTIONS", the option to edit your profile is there.

Welcome to MTF!

Nevermind I found it.

the site kept showing up in mobile mode with all the blue bubbles.