PDA

View Full Version : Phillipines rotations expanded

crwchf16
05-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Looks like the Phillipines might be a viable rotation once again. Do any of the (and I hate to use the term) older vets here have any stories/advice to share with those of us who may soon be visiting? Were any of you present when Clark was effectively destroyed by Mt. Pinatubo?
http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140503/NEWS08/305030029/Agreement-paves-way-more-rotations-Philippines

BOSS302
05-05-2014, 09:04 AM
ASSOCIATED PRESS - In completely unrelated news, AAFES has doubled the size of their Human Resources (HR) department in anticipation of an influx of new employees in the next few years. An AAFES representative refused to comment on why one of the requirements to work in the expanded HR department was a fluency in Tagalog.

However, retired MSgt Raymond Henry, speaking by satellite phone from Angeles City, Phillipines, stated that it was "pretty fucking obvious" why this was happening.

Meanwhile, talent agencies based in the Phillipines have contacted their employees in Osan, Kunsan, Suwon, Seoul, and various shit holes around US Army camps in South Korea as they begin a general recall of all assets.

waveshaper2
05-05-2014, 09:54 AM
I will take this as a net positive for our Airman, especially after 13 years of war in places where its illegal to drink (heavily), get laid , and blow off steam. Never in the history of warfare has a western military force suffered such prohibitions for so long.

Caution/beware; A few timeless PI Scams, set-ups, traps, and illegal activities (chances are the local Gestapo is in on it) .

Red flags = Underage, cherry anything, street walkers/strangers, know the downtown safe zone/perimeter, gambling (particularly card games/poker), Billy boys/Bakla (unless that's your thing), drugs, kidnapping, local police, NPA, etc.

Now go have some fun.

Chief_KO
05-05-2014, 11:58 AM
I'm afraid that given today's climate, the AF will do everything in its power to ensure none of the "fun" of Clark AB, PI does not return. A special SATAF task force will be put in place (led be Gen (ret) Doc Fogelsong).
Recommendations: 1) PT gear worn while off duty, 2) 2300 curfew Sun - Thurs, 0100 curfew Fri - Sat, 3) Three beer limit on base, 4) Massive town patrol, 5) Multi-level "Combat ________" programs, 6) Wingman Cards.

Did you really think we could rewind the morale clock to 1989????

waveshaper2
05-05-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm afraid that given today's climate, the AF will do everything in its power to ensure none of the "fun" of Clark AB, PI does not return. A special SATAF task force will be put in place (led be Gen (ret) Doc Fogelsong).
Recommendations: 1) PT gear worn while off duty, 2) 2300 curfew Sun - Thurs, 0100 curfew Fri - Sat, 3) Three beer limit on base, 4) Massive town patrol, 5) Multi-level "Combat ________" programs, 6) Wingman Cards.

Did you really think we could rewind the morale clock to 1989????

Funny but there is probably some truth in what you say. I fully expect the first USAF personnel that deploy to the PI, under this new agreement, will be combat SAPR UTC's.

Some good news for any Veterans that happen to make their way to the PI.

The Philippines is unique when it comes to receiving VA benefits in a foreign country. It is the "ONLY" foreign country
that provides veterans living there the same level of medical benefits/care as those living in the U.S. The medical
facilities, care, and ability to get referrals to contract hospitals is similar to the U.S.
They also provide full VA benefits (with some exceptions) to eligible members of the Philippine Commonwealth Army,
Recognized Guerrillas, and Philippine Scouts.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/persona/veteran-abroad.asp

ChiefB
05-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Looks like the Phillipines might be a viable rotation once again. Do any of the (and I hate to use the term) older vets here have any stories/advice to share with those of us who may soon be visiting? Were any of you present when Clark was effectively destroyed by Mt. Pinatubo?
http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140503/NEWS08/305030029/Agreement-paves-way-more-rotations-Philippines

Well, you know it's for sure that the Negritos are rejoicing. They remember the famous "I shall return!" boast of a previous time.

I remember when Clark AB was a paradise for the single GI (they used to bus the ladies from the local villages to the NCO Club on the weekends for dancing, drinks and a very good time. The junior officers would hook up with young NCOs to gain surreptitious entrance to the club) and also a massive installation with a myriad of missions.

At one time the Negrito villagers were employed by the USAF as survival instructors and also sold handmade swords made from old WWII truck springs and varnished water buffalo horns from the front steps of the BX. All as part of MacArthur's WWII promise to employ and support them as reward for their clandestine activities in support of the U.S. and defense of the PI.

We operated an HF radio hookup from our command center at CINCPAC in Hawaii during the Mt. Pinatubo eruption to maintain contact with a GO who was there to coordinate the evacuation of Clark. The radio was our only communication with Clark because all power and comm there was down and covered in ash. One of the worlds largest antennae arrays located at Clark was also destroyed by the eruption of Pinatubo and considered a great loss to our spook community.

We ultimately evacuated or moved our U.S. assets from the PI after they upped the ante by billions for our continued stay in the islands. Since the resurgence of Chinese hegemony both U.S. and Philippine Gov'ts have evidently had a reconsideration of their past decisions.

I don't know if the grandiosity of our past presence will ever be reestablished but a tour in the PI, if your are so lucky, will be one to remember.

technomage1
05-05-2014, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't mind a tour in the PI. I've heard it was a neat tour, and not just because of the ladies as mentioned previously. Not that I have anything against that, but apparently the food is good and culture is pretty neat too. I'd like to see it, anyway.

TSgt"M"
05-05-2014, 02:27 PM
I've toyed with the idea of going down to live there awhile, can't say I'd retire permanently, but it might be nice for a couple of years.

imported_Sgt HULK
05-05-2014, 05:02 PM
please dear 8lb 6oz baby jesus, send me

Venus
05-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Well, you know it's for sure that the Negritos are rejoicing. They remember the famous "I shall return!" boast of a previous time.

I remember when Clark AB was a paradise for the single GI (they used to bus the ladies from the local villages to the NCO Club on the weekends for dancing, drinks and a very good time. The junior officers would hook up with young NCOs to gain surreptitious entrance to the club) and also a massive installation with a myriad of missions.

At one time the Negrito villagers were employed by the USAF as survival instructors and also sold handmade swords made from old WWII truck springs and varnished water buffalo horns from the front steps of the BX. All as part of MacArthur's WWII promise to employ and support them as reward for their clandestine activities in support of the U.S. and defense of the PI.

We operated an HF radio hookup from our command center at CINCPAC in Hawaii during the Mt. Pinatubo eruption to maintain contact with a GO who was there to coordinate the evacuation of Clark. The radio was our only communication with Clark because all power and comm there was down and covered in ash. One of the worlds largest antennae arrays located at Clark was also destroyed by the eruption of Pinatubo and considered a great loss to our spook community.

We ultimately evacuated or moved our U.S. assets from the PI after they upped the ante by billions for our continued stay in the islands. Since the resurgence of Chinese hegemony both U.S. and Philippine Gov'ts have evidently had a reconsideration of their past decisions.

I don't know if the grandiosity of our past presence will ever be reestablished but a tour in the PI, if your are so lucky, will be one to remember.

I for see a large influx of younger bagger's and clerk's at the commissaries and AAFES. Did they ever put in place a brewing standard for San Miguel beer? Stick with the village girls from good family's. Too much Philippine and American blood split together for us not to be together.

Chief_KO
05-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I for see a large influx of younger bagger's and clerk's at the commissaries and AAFES. Did they ever put in place a brewing standard for San Miguel beer? Stick with the village girls from good family's. Too much Philippine and American blood split together for us not to be together.

I sure hope they didn't. That was one of the great funs of drinking the "Expertly Brewed" Pale Pilsen...you never knew what to expect!!

Measure Man
05-05-2014, 08:37 PM

I was there for 4 years...left a few month prior to Pinatubo.

My advice is if you get the opportunity to go, do not pass it up under any circumstances.

I'm afraid that given today's climate, the AF will do everything in its power to ensure none of the "fun" of Clark AB, PI does not return.

The problem they are going to have with that is the "fun" has never left...the area outside the base still has all the entertainment to this day.

LogDog
05-05-2014, 09:48 PM
I wish I had stories to tell you but my assignment to the Philippines was cancelled because the person I was to replace had a billet created so she could do a join-spouse assignment there. When she was to PCS the billet was converted back to another AFSC. My commander, who was Filipino, had a house lined up for me from a nurse he knew who was leaving there and his father, a college professor in the Philippines, was selling his Corvette and was holding it for me until I got there. I got Osan as a replacement which was great because Mt. Pinatubo exploded about a month after I was suppose to arrive. I keep thinking about the possibilities I was missing by not getting that assignment to the Philippines but Osan was turned out to be a career booster for me.

I had a SSgt arrive in my flight about three months after I got to Osan and his assignment was changed because of Mt. Pinatubo.
Unfortunately, his household goods were shipped to the Philippines and because the base was effectively closed, his property was shipped back to the U.S. which then sent them back to the Philippines and then back to the U.S. A couple of months after his arrival and frustration at getting his household goods the day before he filed his claim with the Legal Officer he was told his household goods finally arrived at Osan.

Measure Man
05-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Guys that were at Clark during Pinatubo were evacuated to guam, okinawa and other bases. Once they landed, there was an assignments team there...asked them where they wanted to go and cut orders on the spot.

I was at Fairchild by this time...so, we had a guy come in to the shop and say he was our new guy. Thought this was odd since we did not have an inbound RIP on him. He was on leave enroute PCS to Clark. He called up AFPC wondering what he was going to do. They asked him "where are you?" He told them he was in Spokane on leave, so they said "Well, do you want to just stay there?" Sure did...so, they said okay, go report to Fairchild when you're ready, we'll send your orders.

Chief_KO
05-06-2014, 12:07 PM
I knew a guy who had orders to Clark, then came the volcano. AF told him to go to his home of record, contact CBPO at the nearest base, and wait for new orders. After about 2 weeks he heard nothing, so he called CBPO. They said to sit tight, his assignment would be coming from AFMPC soon. After another month, he called again...same answer. Now he was worried, so he put on his uniform and drove to the base (about 3 hours away). Went to the outbound assignment section at CBPO. They had a stack of about 50 of so Airmen in the same situation, and he was near the bottom of the stack. He asked if he could do anything around the base (he was getting very bored hanging at Mom & Dad's). Nope, just wait till you get a call or mail (no email back then). Well, about 2 months later he got orders (in the mail), with a RNLTD another 2 months later. He drove back to the base to request an earlier RNLTD...disapproved. All told he got about 6 months paid vacation.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-06-2014, 01:50 PM
I knew a guy who had orders to Clark, then came the volcano. AF told him to go to his home of record, contact CBPO at the nearest base, and wait for new orders. After about 2 weeks he heard nothing, so he called CBPO. They said to sit tight, his assignment would be coming from AFMPC soon. After another month, he called again...same answer. Now he was worried, so he put on his uniform and drove to the base (about 3 hours away). Went to the outbound assignment section at CBPO. They had a stack of about 50 of so Airmen in the same situation, and he was near the bottom of the stack. He asked if he could do anything around the base (he was getting very bored hanging at Mom & Dad's). Nope, just wait till you get a call or mail (no email back then). Well, about 2 months later he got orders (in the mail), with a RNLTD another 2 months later. He drove back to the base to request an earlier RNLTD...disapproved. All told he got about 6 months paid vacation.

Lucky dude...

I had orders to Clark when the volcano blew up, but I was about two weeks from my final out processing day. They promptly gave me orders to Crete about six months later, and those were later canceled when they decided to close Iraklion.

I ended up staying at Fort Meade for a long time, where I perfected the art of screwing with NSA civilians. It was in a cubical in OPS 2A that I first thought of soaking paper towels in the brine from a can of sardines and then hiding them behind the flipper cabinets of random civilians, perhaps one my greatest career accomplishments.

I probably would have been much happier carousing with beautiful Pinay Bar Girls, but it was simply not meant to be. Still, I did my part and eventually developed the perfect time delayed stink bomb for use in modular office furniture.

The perforated ziplock baggie filled with mashed potatoes, sauerkraut, and bakers yeast. You can simply fling it under a desk, but it is best deployed inside the frame of the modular office furniture.

No, I never got the chance to hop from one bar to another in Angeles City, sampling the delightful dark haired, doe-eyed beauties of the bar district.

Instead, I had to make do with making frumpy office workers sit in a stench filled office.

TJMAC77SP
05-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Guys that were at Clark during Pinatubo were evacuated to guam, okinawa and other bases. Once they landed, there was an assignments team there...asked them where they wanted to go and cut orders on the spot.

I was at Fairchild by this time...so, we had a guy come in to the shop and say he was our new guy. Thought this was odd since we did not have an inbound RIP on him. He was on leave enroute PCS to Clark. He called up AFPC wondering what he was going to do. They asked him "where are you?" He told them he was in Spokane on leave, so they said "Well, do you want to just stay there?" Sure did...so, they said okay, go report to Fairchild when you're ready, we'll send your orders.

Same thing happened to the folks at Homestead after Hurricane Andrew. I was at Tyndall and we ended up with a handful of people.

ttribe
05-07-2014, 06:08 PM
It's about time. The Asian dependent "mafia" is aging and not nearly as strong on military bases as it was in 82'. I doubt there was a services related operation on base not staffed by these ladies. Stuff got done right. The 80 year old Korean lady that still bags at our commissary can out load any of the lazy brats doing the same work. She is probably a secret millionaire from all the tips she hauls in.

Airborne
05-08-2014, 01:13 AM
Go in raw and pull out.

Gonzo432
05-10-2014, 02:40 AM
I remember her! About 4' 10", always wore gloves and long sleeves? She could bag some groceries. I won't ask what base, she was at all of them.

zeke7142003
05-10-2014, 05:50 PM
It will not be like the old days at Clark. With the emphasis on human trafficking there will probably not be any "bar fines". Even contractors who work for the military are forbidden from partaking in the fun. Yes, there are still bars in the old entertainment district and there is some fun but there have been raids on the bars by the police/govt. Also, the Koreans are buying up everything and establishing that area as their turf. There are rumors of the Korean "mafia" running the show. I was stationed at Clark from Dec '88 until after Pinatubo blew up in Jun '92. There was an evacuation prior to the eruption with most people going to Subic Bay and Cubi Point NAS. I was one of them along with my wife (Filipina). They were asking people to open their homes so people had a place to stay. I had orders already and could not get out because the airport in Manila was closed. Eventually after camping out on Cubi Point they announced that anyone with orders had "front of the line" privilege to the line of people waiting to get on the ships. I was put on the USS Abraham Lincoln, an aircraft carrier. We sailed to Mactan AB, on an island south of the main island of Luzon. Once there we were boarded on to a plane headed to Guam. Once at Guam my wife had to do the visa clearance and we were put up in abandoned dormitories for a day or two. From there we flew to McChord AFB to process. If I would not have had orders I could have chosen any base I wanted. Some people were even given the option to separate. I got my tickets and flew home to my parents' house. If I remember right, I was ordered to stay there until further notice and was given "free" leave. The whole experience was unreal. Thanks to the crews that stayed behind at Clark (mostly single) we were able to get our household goods, and my motorcycle. I forgot to mention that while we were evacuated to Subic those that had orders were allowed to take a bus to Clark to retrieve more of our belongings. While there, that's when the first eruption happened. What an amazing sight.
http://s184.photobucket.com/user/zeke7142003/media/ck_desktop002.jpg.html
It will not be like the old days at Clark. With the emphasis on human trafficking there will probably not be any "bar fines". Even contractors who work for the military are forbidden from partaking in the fun. Yes, there are still bars in the old entertainment district and there is some fun but there have been raids on the bars by the police/govt. Also, the Koreans are buying up everything and establishing that area as their turf. There are rumors of the Korean "mafia" running the show. I was stationed at Clark from Dec '88 until after Pinatubo blew up in Jun '92. There was an evacuation prior to the eruption with most people going to Subic Bay and Cubi Point NAS. I was one of them along with my wife (Filipina). They were asking people to open their homes so people had a place to stay. I had orders already and could not get out because the airport in Manila was closed. Eventually after camping out on Cubi Point they announced that anyone with orders had "front of the line" privilege to the line of people waiting to get on the ships. I was put on the USS Abraham Lincoln, an aircraft carrier. We sailed to Mactan AB, on an island south of the main island of Luzon. Once there we were boarded on to a plane headed to Guam. Once at Guam my wife had to do the visa clearance and we were put up in abandoned dormitories for a day or two. From there we flew to McChord AFB to process. If I would not have had orders I could have chosen any base I wanted. Some people were even given the option to separate. I got my tickets and flew home to my parents' house. If I remember right, I was ordered to stay there until further notice and was given "free" leave. The whole experience was unreal. Thanks to the crews that stayed behind at Clark (mostly single) we were able to get our household goods, and my motorcycle. I forgot to mention that while we were evacuated to Subic those that had orders were allowed to take a bus to Clark to retrieve more of our belongings. While there, that's when the first eruption happened. What an amazing sight.

http://s184.photobucket.com/user/zeke7142003/media/ck_desktop002.jpg.html

Sergeant eNYgma
05-21-2014, 09:41 AM
I would go in a heartbeat, I have an assignment to Osan currently and Guam is on my Follow On list...