PDA

View Full Version : Short tour to Turkey

fufu
04-30-2014, 08:58 PM
After 9 yrs at Base X, I got orders to Incirlik AB today, rnltd of August. I've never been to Turkey(closest was the Deid). As this point, I'll be doing the unaccompanied 15 mo tour. As a MSgt, I figure it should be a fun trip...where I'll spend my time finishing my degree and playing golf.

What kind of "beenies" can I expect?

Any info on Space A/rotator flights for travel?

Base itself?

Please feel free to provide any information you have.

Stalwart
04-30-2014, 09:06 PM
I was there in 2009 for 6 months ... it was okay.

Be sure to visit Cappadocia while there, it was pretty interesting.

Measure Man
04-30-2014, 09:14 PM
I haven't been to Incirlik, but I spend a really nice 6 week TDY to Turkey on a FMS assistance with the Turkish AF.

It was great. A really neat country with a ton of history and cool places...when they say history, they are talking thousands of years, not a couple hundred like the U.S.

If out and about among the Turks, they do have some strange customs and things to get used to, but you will love it. I'm sure you'll be briefed on all that when you get there.

imported_KnuckleDragger
04-30-2014, 09:21 PM
I was there in the tents on deployment around Y2K. IT WAS A BLAST! The Turks were some of the friendliest people I have met. The sightseeing was amazing. The shopping in the "alley" was fun. One of our guys got engaged to a local(and soon married). Drinking/grilling every night.

That being said, I'm sure things have changed in 15 years...lol. Permanent party is probably different than travelling through as well.

swp
05-01-2014, 02:16 AM
Nice area, lots to do. PM sent.

Airborne
05-01-2014, 02:17 AM
While we lock ourselves inside the gates and have curfews, remember the Europeans are vacationing there so make sure you get and see the sights and interact as much as you can depending on the current (perceived) threatcon. Some of the best food Ive had was from Turkey.

im4floridagtrz
05-01-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm currently stationed at Incirlik, it's not too bad. Great weather for golfing year round!

Ripcord
05-02-2014, 03:39 AM
I was there from 01-03. Best Assignment yet. That place is a gem and I'd go back in a heart beat. Especially for the food!

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
05-02-2014, 04:02 AM
I was there a few years ago. Best assignment of my career. Food is unbeatable too!

John Jameson
05-02-2014, 12:22 PM
I was there about 14 years ago, so I'm sure a lot has changed. As others have said, the food is outstanding and the sightseeing is superb. Get to as many different places as you can during your tour or you'll regret it down the road. Take a reliable car (that gets good gas mileage) with you and spend the weekends road tripping.

meatbringer
05-02-2014, 01:24 PM
I've been to Turkey a couple times, but I have never visited the base. The few cities that I have been to were really nice, and the one that sticks out in my mind is Konya, the holy capital. Overall, Turkey was an awesome country to visit. Everyone was extremely nice, the food was out of this world (If you love their type of food, which I do), and the women were absolutely gorgeous. If you are married, the jewelry and gold that they make over there is like no other that you have encountered in your travels. Your wife will love it. They also have a knack for making really extravagant chocolates and deserts, which is my weakness. I am jealous of your new assignment, and I wish that my career field could be stationed there. Have fun!

LogDog
05-05-2014, 09:50 PM
I knew people who've been there in the 70s, 80s, and 90s and none of them had a bad word to say about Turkey. Sounds like you've got a good assignment.

fufu
05-07-2014, 07:09 PM
My follow-on preferences:

DM
Luke
Hill
Beale
Holloman
Whiteman
Hurlbert Field
Seymour Johnson

OConus:
Alaska
Hawaii

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Sergeant eNYgma
05-27-2014, 12:09 PM

DM
Luke
Hill
Beale
Holloman
Whiteman
Hurlbert Field
Seymour Johnson

OConus:
Alaska
Hawaii

I'm down the road from Hurbie, it's way smaller than Eglin which is also here but it's just as nice and even nicer in some aspects. I hear it's not good to be stationed at for my job in particular but I'd still try it for it. There are worse places to be.

I heard Beale was not good since it's all the way North in Cali in the middle of nowhere. If that doesn't bother you than good to go.

I hear Hill, DM, and Luke are ALL great places and I wouldn't mind being at any of the 3. Heard nothing about the other places though.

Airborne
05-27-2014, 11:45 PM

DM
Luke
Hill
Beale
Holloman
Whiteman
Hurlbert Field
Seymour Johnson

OConus:
Alaska
Hawaii

All depend on your AFSC and your preference. As stated above, on paper NW Florida should be a desirable assignment, but Eglin for my job is 'avoid at all costs' for example. I would avoid Seymour Johnson as it's always voted as one of worst assignments no matter the afsc. All of the others a matter of personal preference.