PDA

View Full Version : Extension question....freaking out

Shaken1976
04-30-2014, 02:14 PM
I have been on 18.5 years. I was JUST returned to duty yesterday from my MEB that has been going on forever. My enlistment is up next week. I still have to wait on my 469 to get processed. Had an appt this morning. According to my ortho doc I still need 6 months of rehab. My question is... If this 469 takes as long as my others have I may not have everything done by the end of next week. What happens then? Because...it seems a bit crazy they waited this long to return me to duty. Then I barely have time to scramble to get stuff done. I can't get anything done until I have that 469. I was coded so I couldn't re-enlist or extend.

Would hate for 18.5 years to go down the drain because of this.

Any ideas?

imported_Sgt HULK
04-30-2014, 02:16 PM
easily one of the more high maint individuals ive seen in the usaf. good luck to ya

Rainmaker
04-30-2014, 03:00 PM
I have been on 18.5 years. I was JUST returned to duty yesterday from my MEB that has been going on forever. My enlistment is up next week. I still have to wait on my 469 to get processed. Had an appt this morning. According to my ortho doc I still need 6 months of rehab. My question is... If this 469 takes as long as my others have I may not have everything done by the end of next week. What happens then? Because...it seems a bit crazy they waited this long to return me to duty. Then I barely have time to scramble to get stuff done. I can't get anything done until I have that 469. I was coded so I couldn't re-enlist or extend.

Would hate for 18.5 years to go down the drain because of this.

Any ideas?

This is a good strategy, when dealing with the MPF. If you wait until the last minute. It only takes them a minute to do it.

Measure Man
04-30-2014, 03:40 PM
What is a 469?

Walk it through...stand and wait at each person's office/desk until they do what they need to do.

Shaken1976
05-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Update--- So I got all the appropriate paperwork. It is sitting on the CC's desk awaiting signature. Meanwhile...my enlistment is up Saturday. Everything just came down yesterday.

Now the CC is reviewing everything to deicde on my extension. But after reading 36-2606...it said that lengthy service airman can't be denied an extension that doesn't take them past 20 years. I have no other codes preventing re-enlistment other than I am close to HYT....hence the extension.

So what happens if I get all this signed and it isn't updated in the system in time? Does it count as a break in service? Will I have to out-process in a day? Just to in-process? Arrgghhh... Will my pay be jacked?

Measure Man
05-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Update--- So I got all the appropriate paperwork. It is sitting on the CC's desk awaiting signature. Meanwhile...my enlistment is up Saturday. Everything just came down yesterday.

Now the CC is reviewing everything to deicde on my extension. But after reading 36-2606...it said that lengthy service airman can't be denied an extension that doesn't take them past 20 years. I have no other codes preventing re-enlistment other than I am close to HYT....hence the extension.

So what happens if I get all this signed and it isn't updated in the system in time? Does it count as a break in service? Will I have to out-process in a day? Just to in-process? Arrgghhh... Will my pay be jacked?

No, as long as you get the CC signature, you'll be fine.

SomeRandomGuy
05-07-2014, 06:37 PM

I hate to throw more problems your way but you likely will not get a paycheck on the 15th. DFAS cutoff is always at least a week before the actual payday. That means it was either yesterday or it is today. When you are within 20 days of Separation your pay record reverts to "T" status. This means that your paycheck is held for manual computation. Normally, that manual computation would be your final paycheck including your leave if you were actually separating. You will probably have to get with finance and have them send you a "partial pay" on the 15th for the same amount as what your check should have been. They should be able to do it as long as MPF gets your extension in and it gets updated in MILPDS. Sorry to throw this on your plate and add more stress just wanted to make you aware. Don't be surprised if you check MyPay and your 15th pay advice says $0.

Shaken1976
05-07-2014, 07:18 PM
I hate to throw more problems your way but you likely will not get a paycheck on the 15th. DFAS cutoff is always at least a week before the actual payday. That means it was either yesterday or it is today. When you are within 20 days of Separation your pay record reverts to "T" status. This means that your paycheck is held for manual computation. Normally, that manual computation would be your final paycheck including your leave if you were actually separating. You will probably have to get with finance and have them send you a "partial pay" on the 15th for the same amount as what your check should have been. They should be able to do it as long as MPF gets your extension in and it gets updated in MILPDS. Sorry to throw this on your plate and add more stress just wanted to make you aware. Don't be surprised if you check MyPay and your 15th pay advice says $0.

I kind of figured this would happen. Which sucks. I am doing everything I can....bugging everyone I can.

Tooltime
05-10-2014, 07:16 AM
I kind of figured this would happen. Which sucks. I am doing everything I can....bugging everyone I can.

As far as your pay goes, I had a similar situation. I re-enlisted, received my new ID card and PCS'd. I arrived near the 1st of the month, and received $0.00 in my paycheck. Not a big deal since we had all of our travel pay, but it was interesting to receive a LES with a big "ZERO".

Went to finance and they said my re-enlistment was good, but paperwork at my last base (Shaw - go figure) didn't make it from MPF to Finance. They fixed the discrepancy immediately, and offered to either cut me a check or wait my pay to catch up on the 15th. I opted for the latter, and received a huge paycheck on the 15th (included normal pay X2, and travel voucher money dropped the same day).

Anyway, I hope this fix is as easy for you as if was for me. I had some very good Finance troops helping me, and they genuinely cared about my problem. Keep us up to date!