PDA

View Full Version : The Untimely Passing of Common Sense

efmbman
04-23-2014, 12:43 PM
This was (so I've heard) printed as an obituary in the London Times. Seems humourous at first... then reality sets in. At least it did for me.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn’t always fair;
- And maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault. Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.
Common Sense was preceded in death,
-by his parents, Truth and Trust,
-by his wife, Discretion,
-by his daughter, Responsibility,
-and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 5 stepbrothers;
– I Know My Rights
– I Want It Now
– Someone Else Is To Blame
– I’m A Victim
– Pay me for Doing Nothing
Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

socal1200r
04-23-2014, 12:53 PM
I'd say Common Sense was killed by his nefarious step-sister, Political Correctness. In this age of PC, a lot of what used to be common sense things have fallen by the wayside. Yup, today's generation has no idea what it was like to grow up when Common Sense ruled the day, not PC.

Rusty Jones
04-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Even though I can agree with much of what's being said here, I normally don't egg this type of stuff on; as it reeks of self-righteousness and arrogance, as though people so say stuff like this believe themselves to be above the "sheeple."

No doubt, "everyone" will agree with this article when the whole point is that "not everyone" has common sense, and that means that there are those lacking among those who are egging this guy on.

Stalwart
04-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Rusty Jones has a good point that many will agree and opine for a day (in their past) when everyone worked harder, were smarter, had more common sense etc.

I won't argue that some facets of modern American education and society are left wanting (a decline in literacy, drops in mathematics ability, the social media generation etc.) but that is a perpetual argument. As I have matured I have grown and don't fool myself that at 18 or 20 I was chock-ful-o' common sense myself. I find it ironic that the referred to woman who spilled hot coffee in her lap and got a large settlement was an elderly woman and not a member of Generation X, Y or a millennial ...

As far as the step brothers of Common Sense I don't disagree that today there is an instant gratification mentality (I Want It Now), a lack of personal accountability (Someone Else is to Blame), a ‘whoa is me’ mentality (I'm a Victim), and larger portion of our society that wants as much as it can for as little work/sacrifice as possible (Pay me for Doing Nothing.) The one step brother I would say is vitally important is I Know My Rights. Absent of knowing your rights (civil, legal etc.) you are living your life at the whim of societal bullies (in many forms.)

Yes, times are in many ways easier today than in the past, and some aspect of our modern society I find confusing, mush how my parents didn't understand a lot of me and my friend in our youth and I would imagine my grandparents thought much of the same of my parents. I imagine the way my SNCO’s regarded us when I was a junior Marine mirrors the way modern SNCO’s shake their head at the juniors who seem overly interested in things like Jersey Shore, Facebook selfies or Twitter.

The only constant is change.

BENDER56
04-27-2014, 08:02 PM
I -- like most everyone, I suppose -- decry the examples given in the article and wonder how far we've lost our way and if we'll ever even find our way back.

But I don't think "common sense" has anything to do with it. I'm sure if asked, everyone would have his or her opinion regarding the reasons we've come to our current silly state of existence -- and I'm sure half of those reasons would directly contradict the other half depending upon the ideology each is rigidly beholden to.

If common sense were as special as everyone makes it out to be, it wouldn't be common, would it? Common sense is like the most basic of senses -- like the crawling stage of learning to walk. I don't know about you, but I've never heard anyone boast about how well they can crawl. But everyone seems proud to declare they have common sense. Well, duh.

Common sense tells me the world is flat. I mean, just look around and tell me I'm wrong. Common sense tells me I'm motionless here on Earth and the sun, moon and stars all move around me. Common sense tells me I should water my lawn in the middle of a hot day when it needs it the most. Common sense is often just wrong.

Most, maybe all, of the discoveries and advances in human knowledge were made by people with uncommon sense -- those who doubted and questioned the commonly held beliefs of their time and set out to find out for certain. Instead of trusting their common sense, they objectively observed and examined and analyzed using what we now know as the scientific method. Sometimes they merely confirmed what was already believed, but they also often showed that many of our assumed truths were flat-out wrong.

So, yeah. People around the world are subjected to some asinine policies today. But whatever "common sense" is or isn't, it has nothing to do with them.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-07-2014, 11:39 AM
That obituary for common sense was the kind of drivel one would find in the Reader's Digest, or perhaps in the early days of the internet, it would have been forwarded to endless string of AOLers.

More whiny nostalgia from a generation that is fading into the past, and trying to comfort themselves with fond memories.

Common sense, isn't that common, never has been, never will be. The future is bright in my opinion.