PDA

View Full Version : Parking in handi cap

spirit_eyes
04-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Pull into a parking lot, looking for a space. Young person parks in handicap, and jogs into the store ( but not in a way you'd think they're grabbing something for the handicap person.)
If I see an old couple, but no handicap, I look the other way.

TJMAC77SP
04-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Their seat in Hell is waiting............next to the older couple. It's about mobility, not age.

Gonzo432
04-06-2014, 01:01 AM
Their seat in Hell is waiting............next to the older couple. It's about mobility, not age.

Roger that, karma is a cruel b!tch!

Absinthe Anecdote
04-06-2014, 03:42 AM

You'd send grandma and grandpa to hell for parking in the wrong space? That eternal lake of fire where there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Kind of harsh, no?

TJMAC77SP
04-06-2014, 03:55 AM
You'd send grandma and grandpa to hell for parking in the wrong space? That eternal lake of fire where there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Kind of harsh, no?

We all engage in hyperbole from time to time. My message remains unchanged though

spirit_eyes
04-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Grandma who can barely walk? Nope she can park where she wants. Young punk using grandma's car? WALK! And be glad you CAN do it. Some of us limp or roll.
Even seen them with the Purple Heart plate. What's with that?

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
04-06-2014, 01:23 PM
I saw a suburban with Handicap plates park in a movie theater handicap spot. Out comes an adult female and four young teens, all who walked briskly into the theater so they wouldn't miss the show.

I guess the parking spot is for the vehicle with the plate, rather than the handicap owner (obviously was not the driver)? Nice example to set for the kids!

TJMAC77SP
04-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Grandma who can barely walk? Nope she can park where she wants. Young punk using grandma's car? WALK! And be glad you CAN do it. Some of us limp or roll.
Even seen them with the Purple Heart plate. What's with that?

See, if Grandma can hardly walk that is called a mobility issue..............................please note first part of my signature.

TJMAC77SP
04-06-2014, 04:05 PM
I saw a suburban with Handicap plates park in a movie theater handicap spot. Out comes an adult female and four young teens, all who walked briskly into the theater so they wouldn't miss the show.

I guess the parking spot is for the vehicle with the plate, rather than the handicap owner (obviously was not the driver)? Nice example to set for the kids!

If I won the lottery I would pay someone (or multiple someones) to go from parking lot to parking lot, videotaping asshats who misuse handicap spaces and post the video on a website entitled "Douche of the Day". It would include details of time, place and license plate.

garhkal
04-06-2014, 07:15 PM

That;s been my argument against the plates being assigned to the car, rather than the person who IS handicapped.
Too often i see those who are NOT handicapped (or not in a seeable way), use the spot just cause they can.

If I won the lottery I would pay someone (or multiple someones) to go from parking lot to parking lot, videotaping asshats who misuse handicap spaces and post the video on a website entitled "Douche of the Day". It would include details of time, place and license plate.

Good idea. I would join you!

TJMAC77SP
04-06-2014, 08:11 PM
That;s been my argument against the plates being assigned to the car, rather than the person who IS handicapped.
Too often i see those who are NOT handicapped (or not in a seeable way), use the spot just cause they can.

Many states have moved away from plates to the placards that hang from your mirror. Unfortunately that just makes it easier to spread the benefits. In some states (like MA) they put a photo on the placard but after complaints they allow you to put a white sleeve over that part of the placard. I have never seen a placard there without the sleeve.

MACHINE666
04-06-2014, 08:21 PM
I like taking a dump in the handicap bathroom stall. It's larger and usually so much more cleaner.

Here in Germany and across Europe, usually the handicap stall is in its own separate, private room. That way I can tear it up G.G. Allin style and nobody gets hurt.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

garhkal
04-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Many states have moved away from plates to the placards that hang from your mirror. Unfortunately that just makes it easier to spread the benefits. In some states (like MA) they put a photo on the placard but after complaints they allow you to put a white sleeve over that part of the placard. I have never seen a placard there without the sleeve.

What were the complaints about?

TJMAC77SP
04-06-2014, 10:01 PM
What were the complaints about?

Privacy issues with the holder's photo visible. I know it sounds shitty of me to say but I usually laughed when I heard the women complain about possible stalkers.................the women with handicapped placards..........................

garhkal
04-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Hu? So people have facebook/twitter/myspace photo's of themselves all over the place, and a pic on a plackard to prove they are entitled to that disability permit is a breech of their privacy? WTF over.

spirit_eyes
04-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Hu? So people have facebook/twitter/myspace photo's of themselves all over the place, and a pic on a plackard to prove they are entitled to that disability permit is a breech of their privacy? WTF over.

Doesn't make any sense. Pic of them, their kids. Tell the world you're going on vacation, etc and that's o.k.
But god forbid you prove with with a tiny pic you can park in a spot. I agree. WTF!

VCO
04-07-2014, 10:36 AM
I hate handicapped spots. They are the biggest waste of prime real estate on base, and for the most part they sit empty all day long. A favorite hang out of mine with limited parking had two spots erased and replaced with one handicapped spot for some douche nozzle not to long ago.

I say they replace all of the handicap/DV/Gen/CMSgt/pregnancy faking dependopotumous spots with one multi-use spot.

imported_AFKILO7
04-07-2014, 11:25 AM
We have a civilian worker here who was medically retired. He has a DV plate on his truck and parks in the handicap spots. Initially I didn't think anything of it, but then I noticed that he goes to PT; plays racquetball, basketball etc. When he gets to the building and the spots are full he parks on the grass. I am not sure how I feel about this but I do know he has drawn the ire from a couple of people in my unit. He has come downstairs at end of the day to find his truck completely surrounded by cones because he has parked in the grass. If you can go PT you can surely park in the parking lot like everyone else.

sandsjames
04-07-2014, 12:03 PM
People using the handicapped spots when not need, just because they have the plate or the placard, is just like the wife driving through the gate in her husband's staff car and expecting a salute.

However, I don't use the handicapped spots anyway so I really don't concern myself with it.

Chief_KO
04-07-2014, 12:25 PM
We have a civilian worker here who was medically retired. He has a DV plate on his truck and parks in the handicap spots. Initially I didn't think anything of it, but then I noticed that he goes to PT; plays racquetball, basketball etc. When he gets to the building and the spots are full he parks on the grass. I am not sure how I feel about this but I do know he has drawn the ire from a couple of people in my unit. He has come downstairs at end of the day to find his truck completely surrounded by cones because he has parked in the grass. If you can go PT you can surely park in the parking lot like everyone else.

One could take a picture of this handicapped "gentleman" playing sports, etc. and sending the photo to local media, state DMV, etc. He more than likely has the required % of VA disability to receive DV plates, but depending on the state that alone may not equate to handicapped privileges (parking). His actions are beyond belief and paint every truly disabled veteran in a negative way.

technomage1
04-07-2014, 12:35 PM
When he was alive, my grandfather had a handicap placard due to ill health. He truly needed it. Anyway, once on leave I borrowed his car to go to the store. I did not park in - or anywhere near - a handicap spot, but boy did I get nasty glares from people that I couldn't figure out until I remembered the placard. From then on I made sure to remove it from the rearview whenever I borrowed his car and put it back when I returned it. We only parked in handicap spaces when he was present in the car. If I took grandma somewhere we did not use the spots either.

I want to say the card is for the person, not the car, but I'm not sure what the law actually says. In any event, integrity should make people do what I did and not use the spaces. Handicap aside, it kills me the amount of hunting people will do for spaces to save themselves from - gasp - walking all the way across the parking lot. I park in the back and walk and inevitably wind up beating the space hunters in the door.

TJMAC77SP
04-07-2014, 12:52 PM

Doesn't make any sense. Pic of them, their kids. Tell the world you're going on vacation, etc and that's o.k.
But god forbid you prove with with a tiny pic you can park in a spot. I agree. WTF!

I agree

TJMAC77SP
04-07-2014, 12:55 PM

Worked with a guy at Hanscom who had a handicap placard. He did have issues with his legs. Mostly due to age. I know the feeling I have arthritis in my right hip and knee. There was some talk of hardscaping the center HQ building which would have moved the handicapped slots about 50 feet further from the building. He immediately went to the union and raised a stink.

I asked his what he did everyday at lunch...........his reply.........."Take a walk"...............the hypocrisy was completely missed by him.

TJMAC77SP
04-07-2014, 12:58 PM
When he was alive, my grandfather had a handicap placard due to ill health. He truly needed it. Anyway, once on leave I borrowed his car to go to the store. I did not park in - or anywhere near - a handicap spot, but boy did I get nasty glares from people that I couldn't figure out until I remembered the placard. From then on I made sure to remove it from the rearview whenever I borrowed his car and put it back when I returned it. We only parked in handicap spaces when he was present in the car. If I took grandma somewhere we did not use the spots either.

I want to say the card is for the person, not the car, but I'm not sure what the law actually says. In any event, integrity should make people do what I did and not use the spaces. Handicap aside, it kills me the amount of hunting people will do for spaces to save themselves from - gasp - walking all the way across the parking lot. I park in the back and walk and inevitably wind up beating the space hunters in the door.

It is for the person not the car, that is one reason they went to placards. Some handicapped don't drive so therefore may ride in several different vehicles.

I also don't understand why anyone would give you the stink eye for the placard if you weren't parked in a handicapped slot. Well, actually I can understand.............some people are just weird.

technomage1
04-07-2014, 02:00 PM
It is for the person not the car, that is one reason they went to placards. Some handicapped don't drive so therefore may ride in several different vehicles.

I also don't understand why anyone would give you the stink eye for the placard if you weren't parked in a handicapped slot. Well, actually I can understand.............some people are just weird.

The only thing I can think of is they assumed the placard was mine and that I was gaming the system somehow. Though as you note they should've figured it out when I didn't use the spaces.

Stalwart
04-07-2014, 02:03 PM

And to be fair, a disability that would get you a plate or a placard doesn't necessary mean your mobility is impacted. I have seen people who were hearing impaired that had them (yes, I was surprised someone who was deaf had a driver's license).

technomage1
04-07-2014, 03:11 PM
And to be fair, a disability that would get you a plate or a placard doesn't necessary mean your mobility is impacted. I have seen people who were hearing impaired that had them (yes, I was surprised someone who was deaf had a driver's license).

Deaf I can deal with. Blind, no.

Measure Man
04-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Pull into a parking lot, looking for a space. Young person parks in handicap, and jogs into the store ( but not in a way you'd think they're grabbing something for the handicap person.)

Not all handicaps are readily apparent to the casual observer.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Wouldn't be nice if our parking lots were filled with roving vigilante gangs that scrutinized every persons credentials and handicap placards?

I think I would like that , and it would be doubly neat if they modeled themselves after the Basij in Iran. They could zoom around our parking lots on dirt bikes and give fierce beatings to anyone they deemed guilty of violating the sanctity of the handicap placard.

Seriously folks, are you guys that uptight that you are trying to keep track of who is using which parking space?

SomeRandomGuy
04-07-2014, 03:59 PM

A few weeks ago a friend of mine posted about this on Facebook. He has a bible study friend that is in his 80s. he takes him to various appointments. Last week he takes him to the doctor. Since he is a gentleman he drops the older guy off at the door and gos to park the car. He has the handicap placard so he says screw it why not just park in the handicap spot. He takes the last spot and as he gets out of the car here comes this little old lady looking for a spot. She gives him the dirtiest look and he felt like shit.

LogDog
04-07-2014, 05:54 PM
You could leave a note on his windshield saying you've taken a picture of the vehicle and license plate and forwarded it to the Security Police for them to take action. That will get the guy worrying for a couple of days that he'll have to explain to the First Sergeant or commander why he parked in a handicapped parking space.

sandsjames
04-07-2014, 05:58 PM
You could leave a note on his windshield saying you've taken a picture of the vehicle and license plate and forwarded it to the Security Police for them to take action. That will get the guy worrying for a couple of days that he'll have to explain to the First Sergeant or commander why he parked in a handicapped parking space.

Then you can stand around and wait until you see someone with their hat off and chase them across the parking lot.

TJMAC77SP
04-07-2014, 06:33 PM

Oh, believe me I know how stupidly easy it is to get a placard/plate. The point is what is right and wrong. For instance, what is the issue that would necessitate a deaf person needing to park as close to a building as possible?

TJMAC77SP
04-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Not all handicaps are readily apparent to the casual observer.

But mobility issues certainly are............................

TJMAC77SP
04-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Wouldn't be nice if our parking lots were filled with roving vigilante gangs that scrutinized every persons credentials and handicap placards?

I think I would like that , and it would be doubly neat if they modeled themselves after the Basij in Iran. They could zoom around our parking lots on dirt bikes and give fierce beatings to anyone they deemed guilty of violating the sanctity of the handicap placard.

Seriously folks, are you guys that uptight that you are trying to keep track of who is using which parking space?

I am very uptight about people with an inflated sense of entitlement. Now, the definition of uptight may vary from person to person. For example I have never (nor desired to) delivered a fierce beating to any asshat who wrongfully uses a handicapped parking space.

Measure Man
04-07-2014, 07:32 PM
But mobility issues certainly are............................

Not necessarily. The guy may have been missing a lung, or had a vascular condition, mulitple schlerosis...there are a lot of conditions that are not apparent, but warrant a handicap placard.

Of course, one of my favorite stories is the guy who used to park in the handicap spot at the gym only to go in and use the treadmill for an hour....lol.

We just had a new education center built here on base...after the row of handicap spots, there is another whole row of like 20-30 spaces reserved for high-efficiency vehicles (hybrid, electric, etc.)....not sure I get that one. Must be CA building code. First, I don't know how many they are expecting, but I never see more than 1 or 2 parked there. Second, I guess this is to encourage people to buy HEVs? I dunno, when I'm make a vehicle purchase, the ability to get front row parking is probably way down my list of priorities....maybe it's important for people who live in a big city or something.

Rusty Jones
04-07-2014, 07:48 PM
I have a handicapped placard on my car, but it's for my wife who's had toes amuputated. Do I use the handicapped space when she's not in the car? Yep. And I'll walk right into the building looking as healthy as I am, just DARING someone to come up to me and say something. Unless someone has the authority to enforce it, they can suck a fat dick.

Rusty Jones
04-07-2014, 08:05 PM
What I find is that those who are busy worrying about who's using handicapped spaces aren't usually worrying out of a sense of justice or concern for actual handicapped people. They're worried about other people getting away with something that they aren't.

TJMAC77SP
04-07-2014, 08:17 PM
What I find is that those who are busy worrying about who's using handicapped spaces aren't usually worrying out of a sense of justice or concern for actual handicapped people. They're worried about other people getting away with something that they aren't.

Wish I could be there the day your wife can't find a parking space because some asshat with your attitude walks into the building looking as healthy as they can. I am however once again amazed at your innate ability to know exactly what people are thinking and what motivates them.

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely no surprise here at this.

BTW: Did your wife lose her toes while you were getting that tattoo in SA? The one you can't remember any details about who and where it was.

TJMAC77SP
04-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Not necessarily. The guy may have been missing a lung, or had a vascular condition, mulitple schlerosis...there are a lot of conditions that are not apparent, but warrant a handicap placard.

Of course, one of my favorite stories is the guy who used to park in the handicap spot at the gym only to go in and use the treadmill for an hour....lol.

We just had a new education center built here on base...after the row of handicap spots, there is another whole row of like 20-30 spaces reserved for high-efficiency vehicles (hybrid, electric, etc.)....not sure I get that one. Must be CA building code. First, I don't know how many they are expecting, but I never see more than 1 or 2 parked there. Second, I guess this is to encourage people to buy HEVs? I dunno, when I'm make a vehicle purchase, the ability to get front row parking is probably way down my list of priorities....maybe it's important for people who live in a big city or something.

But it would be apparent. If there is no apparent mobility issue then there is no need to park in the handicapped space. For instance, the elderly person with arthritis who has one is having a good day.....he/she parks in a normal space; having a bad day.....utilizes the placard.

As to the HEV's.....It's a liberal, tree-hugging thing

((assume I inserted a smiley face.......or LOL))

Rusty Jones
04-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Wish I could be there the day your wife can't find a parking space because some asshat with your attitude walks into the building looking as healthy as they can. I am however once again amazed at your innate ability to know exactly what people are thinking and what motivates them.

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely no surprise here at this.

BTW: Did your wife lose her toes while you were getting that tattoo in SA? The one you can't remember any details about who and where it was.

No, she actually lost them due to complications with her diabetes. It was at Wilford Hall while I was deployed.

Anyhow, you wanna know how I feel about being on other side of this? Before my wife had her toes amputated, I couldn't count how many times I'd go to a store looking for a good parking spot; and someone with handicapped tags or placard takes a regular parking spot when there are so many handicapped spots open. You're telling me that you've never experienced this? The way I way I see it, if you have the ability to get steak and all I can get is hamburger... then get the damn steak, and don't take my hamburger.

Rusty Jones
04-07-2014, 08:34 PM
I am however once again amazed at your innate ability to know exactly what people are thinking and what motivates them.

But I don't see you denying that what I said applies to you. So go ahead. Deny it. Deny that your main concern is other people getting away with something that you're not, and not for the handicapped.

If it really does apply to you... you're not alone. Probably MOST people are like this.

TJMAC77SP
04-07-2014, 08:57 PM
No, she actually lost them due to complications with her diabetes. It was at Wilford Hall while I was deployed.

Anyhow, you wanna know how I feel about being on other side of this? Before my wife had her toes amputated, I couldn't count how many times I'd go to a store looking for a good parking spot; and someone with handicapped tags or placard takes a regular parking spot when there are so many handicapped spots open. You're telling me that you've never experienced this? The way I way I see it, if you have the ability to get steak and all I can get is hamburger... then get the damn steak, and don't take my hamburger.

So YOUR beef is with people who have handicapped placards but DON'T use them because YOU have to then park a little further away ?!?!?!? Of course now you just use your wife's placard so what's the beef?

Are you frapping kidding me? You really should hire someone to review your posts. Sometimes you make this too easy.

You are dead wrong in lumping everyone or even a majority (or MOST) into any convenient container (which is, as I have often pointed out to you, ONE of your failings). I personally usually don't park close to a store even if there are spaces. I could qualify for a placard but figure a little extra walking is good for me. In heavy rain, maybe closer. I certainly don't envy anything about someone who has the personality to abuse a placard or a handicapped spot. I am admittedly projecting more than is plainly evident but my guess is they have other issues as well.

BTW: In case you couldn't understand what I wrote I certainly deny that ANYTHING you said applies to me.

garhkal
04-07-2014, 09:14 PM

To me that is an example of disability fraud. If he is fit enough and capable enough to play sports, he is not disabled enough to warrant having a plackard/tags..

Which to me is part of the issue.. So many things these days seem to qualify you for having them.. Being fat, being depressed (in some states i have heard).. To me if its not a physical disability, it should not count.

Oh, believe me I know how stupidly easy it is to get a placard/plate. The point is what is right and wrong. For instance, what is the issue that would necessitate a deaf person needing to park as close to a building as possible?

Exactly. The whole issue with having disabled spots, which are closer to the entrances of shops etc, is cause those who have that handicap/disability are unable to walk as far. So if your only disability is deafness, that in no way makes you unable to walk the same distance as someone else.

Well on base, you also have designated spots for Base CO, Squadron CO, CMC, SOY, SOQ etc..
Maybe the reason they are favoring hybreds are to get more people to buy them?

I have a handicapped placard on my car, but it's for my wife who's had toes amuputated. Do I use the handicapped space when she's not in the car? Yep. And I'll walk right into the building looking as healthy as I am, just DARING someone to come up to me and say something. Unless someone has the authority to enforce it, they can suck a fat dick.

Its cause of people like you we keep having these sorts of discussions rusty.

I worry about both, but this issue was brought up cause of a news story on the latter (those abusing it) issue.

Measure Man
04-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Well on base, you also have designated spots for Base CO, Squadron CO, CMC, SOY, SOQ etc..

Yeah, courtesy spots.

Maybe the reason they are favoring hybreds are to get more people to buy them?

Well, yeah, maybe...but could that possibly be effective? Would someone really lean towards a car purchase based off of this?

CA lets them ride in the carpool lane too....I guess for someone who commutes 2 hours in traffic everyday, that might be a selling point.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-07-2014, 10:36 PM
I am very uptight about people with an inflated sense of entitlement. Now, the definition of uptight may vary from person to person. For example I have never (nor desired to) delivered a fierce beating to any asshat who wrongfully uses a handicapped parking space.

Perhaps, but on the first page of this thread you did say that an old couple who parked in a handicap space without a placard would be sent to hell.

Since there really isn't a hell, are you sure that you don't want to reconsider my Basij idea?

Although the Basij might be too Iranian for your tastes, I can assure you that they are most effective in enforcing regulations on the street-level, or in this case a parking lot level.

TJMAC77SP
04-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Perhaps, but on the first page of this thread you did say that an old couple who parked in a handicap space without a placard would be sent to hell.

Since there really isn't a hell, are you sure that you don't want to reconsider my Basij idea?

Although the Basij might be too Iranian for your tastes, I can assure you that they are most effective in enforcing regulations on the street-level, or in this case a parking lot level.

You forgot..................."It's about mobility, not age"

Do you have first hand experience with the Basji? I had to Google it. Is that what you did? Maybe the Saudi Arabian equivalent, the Mutaween? I do have personal experience with them.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-07-2014, 11:30 PM
You forgot..................."It's about mobility, not age"

Do you have first hand experience with the Basji? I had to Google it. Is that what you did? Maybe the Saudi Arabian equivalent, the Mutaween? I do have personal experience with them.

Did you forget? Lilly Ghalichi is Iranian, so I know all about Iran.

TJMAC77SP
04-07-2014, 11:57 PM
Did you forget? Lilly Ghalichi is Iranian, so I know all about Iran.

That's right, I did forget that. I suppose you are broken hearted that she is engaged. (http://www.celebuzz.com/2014-04-07/all-the-details-on-shahs-of-sunset-star-lilly-ghalichis-over-the-top-1-2-million-engagement-ring/)

Rusty Jones
04-08-2014, 03:03 PM
So YOUR beef is with people who have handicapped placards but DON'T use them because YOU have to then park a little further away ?!?!?!? Of course now you just use your wife's placard so what's the beef?

Are you frapping kidding me? You really should hire someone to review your posts. Sometimes you make this too easy.

I make WHAT easy? I expressed a pet peeve about something that affects ME. In this case, my ability to get a good parking spot - or even one at all, if it's crowded and there are handicapped spots available that someone with a placard refuses to take.

You? You're getting pissed off about things that DO NOT concern YOU. You're worried about someone else getting away with something, when you need to worry about yourself. Maybe that person has a condition that doesn't concern you, or maybe not and they'll get theirs later... either way, it's not YOUR problem.

You are dead wrong in lumping everyone or even a majority (or MOST) into any convenient container (which is, as I have often pointed out to you, ONE of your failings). I personally usually don't park close to a store even if there are spaces. I could qualify for a placard but figure a little extra walking is good for me. In heavy rain, maybe closer. I certainly don't envy anything about someone who has the personality to abuse a placard or a handicapped spot. I am admittedly projecting more than is plainly evident but my guess is they have other issues as well.

BTW: In case you couldn't understand what I wrote I certainly deny that ANYTHING you said applies to me.

And, like I said, because the situation doesn't concern you, your denial is pretty dubious.

TJMAC77SP
04-08-2014, 03:19 PM
I make WHAT easy? I expressed a pet peeve about something that affects ME. In this case, my ability to get a good parking spot - or even one at all, if it's crowded and there are handicapped spots available that someone with a placard refuses to take.

You? You're getting pissed off about things that DO NOT concern YOU. You're worried about someone else getting away with something, when you need to worry about yourself. Maybe that person has a condition that doesn't concern you, or maybe not and they'll get theirs later... either way, it's not YOUR problem.

And, like I said, because the situation doesn't concern you, your denial is pretty dubious.

I would have thought MBA programs would include plenty of critical thinking.

If you don't see the complete idiocy of your 'pet peeve' that should answer the question about what exactly you make too easy.

We all do now however, understand even more about you. It would seem the common thread in your life and how you lead it is YOU and very little else. Before the placard you are pissed about YOU being unable to find a 'good parking space' now with placard available and with illegal use of same YOU blithely park wherever YOU wish and just carry on unaffected by anyone else's issues.

How I first reacted to realizing this trait of yours...................

Rusty Jones
04-08-2014, 03:24 PM
I would have thought MBA programs would include plenty of critical thinking.

If you don't see the complete idiocy of your 'pet peeve' that should answer the question about what exactly you make too easy.

We all do now however, understand even more about you. It would seem the common thread in your life and how you lead it is YOU and very little else. Before the placard you are pissed about YOU being unable to find a 'good parking space' now with placard available and with illegal use of same YOU blithely park wherever YOU wish and just carry on unaffected by anyone else's issues.

In any case, I'm minding my OWN business. Maybe you should take notes.

TJMAC77SP
04-08-2014, 03:27 PM

Yeah, in any case.

Good response.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Rusty and TJ,

Can't we all get along? Let me try a little citizen moderation to quell the disharmony.

Rusty contends that TJ is being a busy body and not minding his own business over parking spots that are no concern to him. I have to agree on that point, and that it is not unlike when Rusty gets upset because the "One Percenters" can afford better lawyers than Joe the Plumber.

Both of you would be much happier if you joined my spiritual knowledge cult. All you have to do is donate 5 percent of your net worth to me, and in return, I promise you enlightenment and everlasting gobstoppers in my father's kingdom.

Think about it.

USN - Retired
04-08-2014, 08:58 PM

I'm sure he is. And tonight, if TJMAC77SP should happen to see me when I am breaking into your house to steal all of your stuff, I do hope that he minds his own business. And it is okay for me to steal from you because I plan to pawn all of your stuff and give the money to the poor. Is all of your stuff insured?

Rusty Jones
04-08-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm sure he is. And tonight, if TJMAC77SP should happen to see me when I am breaking into your house to steal all of your stuff, I do hope that he minds his own business. And it is okay for me to steal from you because I plan to pawn all of your stuff and give the money to the poor. Is all of your stuff insured?

Come on over if you want. Because then it's my business.

Mjölnir
04-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Can't we all get along? Let me try a little citizen moderation to quell the disharmony.

What he said.

sandsjames
04-08-2014, 11:26 PM

Wow...been a long time since you invited someone to come see you to take care of things. I thought you were above that now.

Mjölnir
04-08-2014, 11:56 PM
second warning, back to topic and stop the personal back and forth. Even if you were involved in it before don't egg it on now.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-09-2014, 12:13 AM
Great news wannabe parking enforcers!

Austin Texas might allow average citizens to take a four hour class and write real tickets with their smart phones!

"Austin, Texas, is looking at creating a program where people can use smartphones to write tickets after taking a 4-hour class and become sworn in, deputized meter maids and employ the program to write enforceable tickets.. If the smartphone ticket program catches on in Austin, it is likely that many more cities will adopt it as a way to stem parking violation and increase revenue."

http://blog.therohogroup.com/index.php/2012/04/accessible-parking-etiquette-tips/

Before all of you move to Austin, might I suggest that you consider joining my spiritual enlightenment cult. In my fathers kingdom, I promise that you'll all be handicapped with visible and unquestionable ailments, plus, you can write all the tickets you want, if that's your thing.

Vrake
04-09-2014, 12:18 AM
^^^ "increase revenue" says it all.

Just like red light cameras and the other city scams out there it's all about money. Some city's charge you for a recycle bin when they are making money off the contents.

USN - Retired
04-09-2014, 12:37 AM

So if you and your family are not home while I am stealing stuff from your house and TJMAC77SP should happen to see me stealing stuff from your house, should TJMAC77SP just "mind his own business"?

TJMAC77SP
04-09-2014, 02:04 AM

Austin Texas might allow average citizens to take a four hour class and write real tickets with their smart phones!

"Austin, Texas, is looking at creating a program where people can use smartphones to write tickets after taking a 4-hour class and become sworn in, deputized meter maids and employ the program to write enforceable tickets.. If the smartphone ticket program catches on in Austin, it is likely that many more cities will adopt it as a way to stem parking violation and increase revenue."

http://blog.therohogroup.com/index.php/2012/04/accessible-parking-etiquette-tips/

Before all of you move to Austin, might I suggest that you consider joining my spiritual enlightenment cult. In my fathers kingdom, I promise that you'll all be handicapped with visible and unquestionable ailments, plus, you can write all the tickets you want, if that's your thing.

For someone who doesn't really care about all this you are getting your Google fix in for the day about it.

Of course I notice that this usually happens when you feel it necessary to come to the aid of Rusty.

BTW: I for one have written my life's quota of citations.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-09-2014, 09:10 AM
For someone who doesn't really care about all this you are getting your Google fix in for the day about it.

Of course I notice that this usually happens when you feel it necessary to come to the aid of Rusty.

BTW: I for one have written my life's quota of citations.

Yeah Brother,

It isn't so much about the actual parking issue, and even less about protecting Rusty. It is more about poking my finger in your eye, and of course, my Spiritual Enlightenment Cult.

I hope you decide to join, because I'd be willing to set you up high in my father's kingdom, which is a junkyard in Lexington, NC.

TJMAC77SP
04-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Yeah Brother,

It isn't so much about the actual parking issue, and even less about protecting Rusty. It is more about poking my finger in your eye, and of course, my Spiritual Enlightenment Cult.

I hope you decide to join, because I'd be willing to set you up high in my father's kingdom, which is a junkyard in Lexington, NC.

And I thought you just wanted us all to get along?

No multi-paragraph diatribes about inclusiveness and acceptance?

BTW: How is this long-running joke concerning your cult a 'stick' in my eye. I am missing the joke evidently.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-09-2014, 02:54 PM
And I thought you just wanted us all to get along?

No multi-paragraph diatribes about inclusiveness and acceptance?

BTW: How is this long-running joke concerning your cult a 'stick' in my eye. I am missing the joke evidently.

Who are you kidding? You enjoy a good scrap just as much as I do.

That stuff about my cult and my father's kingdom is my newest schtick designed to entice Brother Sandsjames into a tussle; however, he is being a good boy and leaving it alone since his recent banning.

Now that I think about it, we'd better get back on topic before Viking Boy comes in here with a pickled herring and an admonishment.

TOKEN ON-TOPIC COMMENT:

In regards to civilian enforcement of parking violations, like the Austin initiative, I see it as activism and social justice, strangely merged with with revenue generation at the municipal-level.

I think it is a disturbing trend that I hope fails. Thankfully, I see the program as being vulnerable to lawsuits in civil courts and I think that is what will cause programs like it to fail. Hopefully municipalities will not see this as a cash cow and we will be spared from having to contend with a bunch of "busy body" housewives in our parking lots.

I'd almost rather deal with the Basij than I would a loudmouth housewife with ticket writing powers.

Your views?

TJMAC77SP
04-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Who are you kidding? You enjoy a good scrap just as much as I do.

That stuff about my cult and my father's kingdom is my newest schtick designed to entice Brother Sandsjames into a tussle; however, he is being a good boy and leaving it alone since his recent banning.

Now that I think about it, we'd better get back on topic before Viking Boy comes in here with a pickled herring and an admonishment.

TOKEN ON-TOPIC COMMENT:

In regards to civilian enforcement of parking violations, like the Austin initiative, I see it as activism and social justice, strangely merged with with revenue generation at the municipal-level.

I think it is a disturbing trend that I hope fails. Thankfully, I see the program as being vulnerable to lawsuits in civil courts and I think that is what will cause programs like it to fail. Hopefully municipalities will not see this as a cash cow and we will be spared from having to contend with a bunch of "busy body" housewives in our parking lots.

I'd almost rather deal with the Basij than I would a loudmouth housewife with ticket writing powers.

Your views?

I do enjoy a good scrap.

I think the Austin initiative is a very bad idea.

Thanks for explaining the cult references. I obviously was ignorant to the whole train of thought.

efmbman
04-09-2014, 03:47 PM
^^^ "increase revenue" says it all.

Just like red light cameras and the other city scams out there it's all about money...

Certainly, many cities and towns count on traffic citations as a large part of revenue. However, it is an additional tax only for those willing to pay it. If you do not run red lights, you will not be cited. If you do not speed, you will not get cited. The simple truth is that law enforcement agencies and their city masters know that people will run red lights and speed. This is not a revenue generator without the willing participation of the citizens.

SomeRandomGuy
04-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Certainly, many cities and towns count on traffic citations as a large part of revenue. However, it is an additional tax only for those willing to pay it. If you do not run red lights, you will not be cited. If you do not speed, you will not get cited. The simple truth is that law enforcement agencies and their city masters know that people will run red lights and speed. This is not a revenue generator without the willing participation of the citizens.

Yep it's only a tax on the people willing to pay it. If not enough people are willing to pay we just make them more willing by ummm.................shortening yellow lights.....

http://news.msn.com/us/are-cities-shortening-yellow-light-times-to-make-money

sandsjames
04-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Yep it's only a tax on the people willing to pay it. If not enough people are willing to pay we just make them more willing by ummm.................shortening yellow lights.....

If people stopped at yellow instead of speeding up, this also wouldn't be an issue.

retiredAFcivvy
04-09-2014, 04:29 PM

When you decide to turn/go through on a yellow light, I think you are knowingly taking a risk (at least I do).
I think as far as the "speed traps" if you are issued a citation for a reasonable speed over (accounting for speedometer and/or radar discrepancy then its totally a revenue issue.
Not sure if it's the same where you are, but a lot of those stops for minor things i.e. tail light, license plate light, etc., are done so they can check for valid insurance/registration and outstanding warrants.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-09-2014, 04:36 PM

Or by not calibrating the speed cameras.

BTW, the mobile speed cam business is a great business to get into as long as you've got political connections at the state or local level to win contracts.

The operators of the cameras get a percentage of each ticket in most states.

Rusty Jones
04-09-2014, 04:38 PM
AA "protecting" me? Please. I've caused major "rucki" here on numerous occasion, and rolled with whatever flack came with it... and I've been doing that here for years.

The problem is, I can't have anyone here who agrees with me (or, at least, appears to) without people bitching about it. Now, it's AA. Before, it used to be Joe Bonham - hell, it was worse, because people would bitch that we "teamed up" on people and, worse yet, some people even accused us of being the same person. Remember?

Meanwhile, how many times have I been taking on USN-Retired and WJ5 simultaneously - ON MY OWN - without complaint? How many times have I done the same with sandsjames on JD on religious discussions, back when JD was here? Hell, you can even add Wildman into that mix. There are numerous other instances that I can think of at the moment... but, gawd forbid, someone actually agrees with Rusty on something. Now, someone is protecting him, they're ganging up on people, or *gasp* they're the same person!

If people stopped at yellow instead of speeding up, this also wouldn't be an issue.

If you stop at the yellow, you run the risk of getting rear-ended. Me? I've got no problem passing on the left to get around someone who stops at a yellow light.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-09-2014, 04:41 PM

I am so proud of you!

You are all about following every rule and regulation above and beyond the minimum requirements.

I'm truly impressed, would you care to go to another thread and discuss the PT program?

Rusty Jones
04-09-2014, 04:44 PM
I am so proud of you!

You are all about following every rule and regulation above and beyond the minimum requirements.

I'm truly impressed, would you care to go to another thread and discuss the PT program?

Yeah, what a square.

SomeRandomGuy
04-09-2014, 04:47 PM

As far as I know the standard length for a yellow light is supposed to be 4 seconds. The way I was taught to drive is that you anticipate yellow lights as you approach the intersection. In my mind I roughly know where the point of no return is as I approach an intersection. If teh light turns yellow and I can safely stop I do. If the light turns yellow but I will easily clear the intersection I neither speed up or slow down. I just continue on through as I was already doing. Also for what it's worth here in Ohio most busy intersections have a 4 second yellow and then another delay of about 2-3 seconds before the opposite light will turn green. If you cause an accident by running a light it literally turned yellow 7 or 8 seconds before you made it to the intersection. Red light cameras are a money grab. In many cases the person doesn't even know the camera is there until after it already took their picture. How is that preventing an accident?

Absinthe Anecdote
04-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Yeah, what a square.

Shhh!

I'm trying to entice him into joining my cult.

Rusty Jones
04-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Shhh!

I'm trying to entice him into joining my cult.

Just fucking around.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-09-2014, 04:54 PM
As far as I know the standard length for a yellow light is supposed to be 4 seconds. The way I was taught to drive is that you anticipate yellow lights as you approach the intersection. In my mind I roughly know where the point of no return is as I approach an intersection. If teh light turns yellow and I can safely stop I do. If the light turns yellow but I will easily clear the intersection I neither speed up or slow down. I just continue on through as I was already doing. Also for what it's worth here in Ohio most busy intersections have a 4 second yellow and then another delay of about 2-3 seconds before the opposite light will turn green. If you cause an accident by running a light it literally turned yellow 7 or 8 seconds before you made it to the intersection. Red light cameras are a money grab. In many cases the person doesn't even know the camera is there until after it already took their picture. How is that preventing an accident?

With all that counting seconds off and constantly calculating and recalculating your stopping distance, you sound more dangerous than a texting driver.

efmbman
04-09-2014, 05:16 PM
If you cause an accident by running a light it literally turned yellow 7 or 8 seconds before you made it to the intersection. Red light cameras are a money grab. In many cases the person doesn't even know the camera is there until after it already took their picture. How is that preventing an accident?

It can be considered prevention because knowing that even if you don't cause an accident, a hidden camera may take your picture resulting in a heafty fine. If heafty fines are not a concern then you have nothing to worry about. If the hidden camera makes a few people think twice about running through an intersection, I'm OK with it. I drive often with my kids in the car and so does my wife. With your logic that it is simply a money grab, that would make any and all fines for all violations of any law a money grab. Hitting people in the wallet seems to have a greater effect then a common sense approach.

Run a red light - you might get T-boned! Naw... I'll do it anyway since I'm late for work.

Run a red light - you will be fined $350! Ouch... I better just stop and wait for the next green light.

SomeRandomGuy
04-09-2014, 05:34 PM
With all that counting seconds off and constantly calculating and recalculating your stopping distance, you sound more dangerous than a texting driver.

I don't text and drive. I enjoy my peace and quiet while driving to work. It's normally the only chance I get to read the newspaper and enjoy a cup of coffee.

Rusty Jones
04-09-2014, 05:42 PM
It can be considered prevention because knowing that even if you don't cause an accident, a hidden camera may take your picture resulting in a heafty fine. If heafty fines are not a concern then you have nothing to worry about. If the hidden camera makes a few people think twice about running through an intersection, I'm OK with it. I drive often with my kids in the car and so does my wife. With your logic that it is simply a money grab, that would make any and all fines for all violations of any law a money grab. Hitting people in the wallet seems to have a greater effect then a common sense approach.

Run a red light - you might get T-boned! Naw... I'll do it anyway since I'm late for work.

Run a red light - you will be fined $350! Ouch... I better just stop and wait for the next green light.

The big problem with the cameras is that the ticket goes to the registered owner of the vehicle, and not the person who was driving.

The even bigger problem, in my opinion, is that it ticket-writing shouldn't be automated. Leave that to humans. When a cop pulls you over, he can assess the situation and make a judgement call. Machines can't do that.

Measure Man
04-09-2014, 05:54 PM

This happened in a city close to me last year...the lights were deliberately set short to catch people and raise money to help pay for the lights.

If they gave a safe yellow-light time, they found the lights actually cost more to operate than they brought it.

It was never about traffic safety, it was just a way to bilk more folks out of money.

It can be just as unsafe to stop too quickly when the light turns yellow.

Measure Man
04-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Anyone been in Panama?

The traffic lights there...the green starts blinking a few seconds before it turns yellow...this was a signal to be outside the zone to really step on it! As long as they could make the first intersection line when the light turned red, they were going!

It was also not uncommon to see drivers at red lights stop 10 feet before the line. This was so they could anticipate the green light and getting a running start so they hit the line as soon as the light turned, and already have some speed built up.

I'm pretty sure those two factors led to the high number of crashes they had, but I'm no safety expert.

CaliMC
04-09-2014, 06:06 PM
I like to think it's more of a karma thing than anything else. What goes around comes around. Here's a couple questions this issue raised for me: Are you authorized to use a reserved CO/XO/CMC spot if you're either retired or no longer serving in that position? What is the purpose for the spot (convenience or privelege)?

Rainmaker
04-09-2014, 08:53 PM

Typical Progressive BS. Austin used to be such a great town till transplant, Liberal Commiefornians and their purple haired homo, punk-ass kids ruined it. Keep Austin Weird Bitchez...

Measure Man
04-09-2014, 09:31 PM
I like to think it's more of a karma thing than anything else. What goes around comes around. Here's a couple questions this issue raised for me: Are you authorized to use a reserved CO/XO/CMC spot if you're either retired or no longer serving in that position? What is the purpose for the spot (convenience or privelege)?

The position ones CMC, WG/CC, etc. I would say no. The rank ones, i.e. O-6, E-9, FLAG, I would think yes.

I'm retired and no longer use the E-9 spots, but my wife likes to use them sometimes.

Chief_KO
04-09-2014, 09:43 PM
The position ones CMC, WG/CC, etc. I would say no. The rank ones, i.e. O-6, E-9, FLAG, I would think yes.

I'm retired and no longer use the E-9 spots, but my wife likes to use them sometimes.

I usually use them since their empty (at least here). When I was still AD and TDY to Davis-Monthan they had spots marked "Active Duty E-9" cause there were sooooo many retirees there.

LogDog
04-10-2014, 04:51 AM

When I was stationed at the Eglin AFB hospital we used to have a reserved parking space for our government 1 1/2 ton truck. The problem we had was hospital people and patients were parking their POVs in our space. I spoke without facilities manager, who was authorized to write parking tickets at the hospital, about it and he got me added to the list of people to write tickets. Whenever my warehouse people returned and told us there was a POV in their space I'd whip out the ticket book and slap a ticket on the windshield. The offenders would come and complain to me about it but I wouldn't back down. After about a month, we didn't have too many problems with people parking in our reserved space.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-10-2014, 10:41 AM
When I was stationed at the Eglin AFB hospital we used to have a reserved parking space for our government 1 1/2 ton truck. The problem we had was hospital people and patients were parking their POVs in our space. I spoke without facilities manager, who was authorized to write parking tickets at the hospital, about it and he got me added to the list of people to write tickets. Whenever my warehouse people returned and told us there was a POV in their space I'd whip out the ticket book and slap a ticket on the windshield. The offenders would come and complain to me about it but I wouldn't back down. After about a month, we didn't have too many problems with people parking in our reserved space.

That is an impressive story, it makes you sound so powerful and masculine. You should go to a fancy cocktail lounge and tell that story to high society ladies, they really dig powerful dudes. If you find that you need a hotel room, you can use your smartphone to book a room just like Captain Obvious does in that TV commercial.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-10-2014, 11:40 AM
I don't text and drive. I enjoy my peace and quiet while driving to work. It's normally the only chance I get to read the newspaper and enjoy a cup of coffee.

You jest, but I have seen someone doing just that on the DC Beltway during rush hour. I have also seen a guy trying to read what looked like an Excel spreadsheet and talking on the phone while driving 70 MPH on I-95.

However, the most astonishing thing I ever saw was a fat lady eating a plate of food at a traffic light in downtown Baltimore.
I'm not talking about a sandwich wrap or a burrito, I mean a plate of food.

She had one of those sturdy paper plates that have three compartments, balanced on her enormous bosom and was using a fork to eat. I was able to identify green beans and mashed potatoes in two of the smaller compartments, the main compartment might have been meatloaf or Salisbury steak, but I've always thought those two are essentially the same thing.

It was the most surreal thing that I have ever seen in Baltimore, and trust me, there is a lot of bizarre shit going on in Charm City.

sandsjames
04-10-2014, 11:50 AM
That is an impressive story, it makes you sound so powerful and masculine. You should go to a fancy cocktail lounge and tell that story to high society ladies, they really dig powerful dudes. If you find that you need a hotel room, you can use your smartphone to book a room just like Captain Obvious does in that TV commercial.

How are you not banned, or threatened with a ban, ever single day?

Absinthe Anecdote
04-10-2014, 12:08 PM
How are you not banned, or threatened with a ban, ever single day?

I dunno?

Why should I get banned for that? His story was impressive and it showed the power that a ticket book can wield. I see nothing wrong with suggesting that he should tell the story to Hi-So ladies in a swanky cocktail lounge.

Have you got something against Captain Obvious? I kind of dig his uniform, it reminds me of a cruise ship captain or a king from Sweden. I often wonder what that big red jewel in his hat is made from, I'm very certain it isn't a real gem stone, or even glass, but some type of dense and highly polished plastic polymer.