PDA

View Full Version : Does sanctuary status save you from MEB?

snowman
04-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Can't find anything that really discusses it, but once you past your 18year mark does that save you from getting medically discharged, I can still do my job, just can't run. You know..PT problems

grimreaper
04-03-2014, 05:26 AM
They could medically retire you, but not separate you.

10 U.S. Code ยง 1176 - Enlisted members: retention after completion of 18 or more, but less than 20, years of service

(a) Regular Members.— A regular enlisted member who is selected to be involuntarily separated, or whose term of enlistment expires and who is denied reenlistment, and who on the date on which the member is to be discharged is within two years of qualifying for retirement under section 3914 or 8914 of this title, or of qualifying for transfer to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve under section 6330 of this title, shall be retained on active duty until the member is qualified for retirement or transfer to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve, as the case may be, unless the member is sooner retired or discharged under any other provision of law.
(b) Reserve Members in Active Status.— A reserve enlisted member serving in an active status who is selected to be involuntarily separated (other than for physical disability or for cause), or whose term of enlistment expires and who is denied reenlistment (other than for physical disability or for cause), and who on the date on which the member is to be discharged or transferred from an active status is entitled to be credited with at least 18 but less than 20 years of service computed under section 12732 of this title, may not be discharged, denied reenlistment, or transferred from an active status without the member’s consent before the earlier of the following:
(1) If as of the date on which the member is to be discharged or transferred from an active status the member has at least 18, but less than 19, years of service computed under section 12732 of this title—
(A) the date on which the member is entitled to be credited with 20 years of service computed under section 12732 of this title; or
(B) the third anniversary of the date on which the member would otherwise be discharged or transferred from an active status.
(2) If as of the date on which the member is to be discharged or transferred from an active status the member has at least 19, but less than 20, years of service computed under section 12732 of this title—
(A) the date on which the member is entitled to be credited with 20 years of service computed under section 12732 of this title; or
(B) the second anniversary of the date on which the member would otherwise be discharged or transferred from an active status.

(a) Shall not be involuntarily released from active duty before they become eligible for that pay.

(b) Shall be absorbed in Service-authorized active end strengths, unless the release is approved by the Secretary of the Military

VCO
04-03-2014, 10:08 AM
I hope not.

imported_UncommonSense
04-03-2014, 12:41 PM
I hope not.

I hope you don't make E-8

Shaken1976
04-03-2014, 03:45 PM
I am undergoing an MEB right now. It is ticking me off. They are dragging feet. My enlistment is up in May...and I can't extend or re-enlist without my doc submitting paperwork. I am on profile from surgery. Still being evaluated from a car accident. Back to see my MEB liaison tomorrow to find out what is going on....I need to know I have a job on 11 May

Oh...and I have 18.5 years in.

WeaponsTSGT
04-03-2014, 06:06 PM
I am undergoing an MEB right now. It is ticking me off. They are dragging feet. My enlistment is up in May...and I can't extend or re-enlist without my doc submitting paperwork. I am on profile from surgery. Still being evaluated from a car accident. Back to see my MEB liaison tomorrow to find out what is going on....I need to know I have a job on 11 May

Oh...and I have 18.5 years in.

I'm also at 18.5 and have been undergoing an MEB since Aug 2013. Back to the original question, yes they can separate you for medical prior to 20 years, be it a retirement or a medical separation. That being said there is a program called LAS(limited assignment status), if you are found unfit by the AF you can apply for this program once your percentages are back, it allows you to stay on AD until your retirement, you have to be over 15 years TIS and separate upon your 20 year mark. The downside to being MEB'd is not being able to qualify for concurrent receipt, however I see the requirements in the future changing and allowing those that are under 20 being able to qualify, the bill is introduced every year and eventually I think it will pass. Being MEB'd does offer you the ability to draw a higher retirement pay based on your injuries, any rating by the AF for unfitting conditions above 50% will entitle you to that amount of retirement. For example if your unfitting conditions rate out at 60% then your retirement pay will be 60%, with a cap of 75%. Your retirement pay will also be offset by your VA percentage, and that portion of your pay will be tax free. For an individual rated at 60% AF and 90% VA that was a married 18 year MSGT his pay would be: 60% of $4323.67 is $2594.20 your active duty retirement pay and $1857.76 of it would be tax free.

VCO
04-03-2014, 09:39 PM
I hope you don't make E-8

Can't have people that meet all the standards getting promoted, now can we. No, it isn't easy.

fufu
04-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Can't have people that meet all the standards getting promoted, now can we. No, it isn't easy.

People get promoted every year that don't meet ALL the standards. Come on.... Can the person do the job? Yes. Stay on AD. Fuck PT tests...a persons worth isn't defined a run time.

imported_UncommonSense
04-04-2014, 12:50 AM

I'm sorry. I saw that a thread was started where a member posted a thread looking for answers. Since I noticed you replied with your opinion on the subject, I figured I could post my opinion about you. Since you've tested for E-8, I can safely assume that you've been in greater than 13 years. Based off this, it is also a safe assumption that sometime in your career, you failed to meet standards. It could be as simple as being late to work a minute or two, not putting your cover on while crossing the threshold, if you were a dorm rat not having your room in inspection order at all times, to using your cell phone while walking in uniform to tell someone how perfect you are. If you come back and say that you have never not met the standard, well, we all know you're lying. If you admit to violating them unintentionally, well then, you're a damn hypocrite as well. Double edged sword, mate. You know that whole glass houses/he who is without sin, yada yada yada.

VCO
04-04-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm sorry. I saw that a thread was started where a member posted a thread looking for answers. Since I noticed you replied with your opinion on the subject, I figured I could post my opinion about you. Since you've tested for E-8, I can safely assume that you've been in greater than 13 years. Based off this, it is also a safe assumption that sometime in your career, you failed to meet standards. It could be as simple as being late to work a minute or two, not putting your cover on while crossing the threshold, if you were a dorm rat not having your room in inspection order at all times, to using your cell phone while walking in uniform to tell someone how perfect you are. If you come back and say that you have never not met the standard, well, we all know you're lying. If you admit to violating them unintentionally, well then, you're a damn hypocrite as well. Double edged sword, mate. You know that whole glass houses/he who is without sin, yada yada yada.
Not sure why you expect me to care about your opinion about my opinion. When you meet the standards, come talk to me.

VCO
04-04-2014, 12:10 PM
People get promoted every year that don't meet ALL the standards. Come on.... Can the person do the job? Yes. Stay on AD. Fuck PT tests...a persons worth isn't defined a run time.

fufu,

I don't disagree. You guys think I'm a PT nazi. Not so. My conflict is making a blanket standard and then flagrantly waiving it for people with little to no accountability. I actually hate PT. I prefer beer, hookers, and chain smoking. If we don't need it, get rid of it. However, if it is a standard, I assume we need it, so I meet it. Hell, I get paid to do that.

Drackore
04-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Actually you prefer to interject your obnoxious, holier-than-thou statements in every post you come across. Your conflict is with being a big, mighty internet blue kool aid drinking poster child (wannabe) when in reality I'll bet you a huge tool that doesn't get much respect on the job.

VCO
04-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Actually you prefer to interject your obnoxious, holier-than-thou statements in every post you come across. Your conflict is with being a big, mighty internet blue kool aid drinking poster child (wannabe) when in reality I'll bet you a huge tool that doesn't get much respect on the job.

See post number 10.

Drackore
04-05-2014, 09:03 PM
See post number 10.

I exceed standards, so I guess I don't just get to talk to you but I can judge you as well. See post #12 get a clue.