PDA

View Full Version : Leave question

AlexCross
03-07-2014, 06:58 PM
I am pretty sure most work centers do leave like we do.. there is a calendar and you request your time off. Then he supervisor initials and dates it. We do ours on Outlook. My question for you is this...

Do you think leave should be first come first serve? Let's say that the same person takes leave over each school holiday year after year...but puts the leave in several months in advance...as soon as they see the school calendar.

Do you think the supervisor should let them know that they need to give others a chance to take leave for school breaks? Should they stick to the first come first serve rule? What if it is several people who do this each time? Do you think others should learn and put their stuff in early?

sandsjames
03-07-2014, 07:15 PM
I am pretty sure most work centers do leave like we do.. there is a calendar and you request your time off. Then he supervisor initials and dates it. We do ours on Outlook. My question for you is this...

Do you think leave should be first come first serve? Let's say that the same person takes leave over each school holiday year after year...but puts the leave in several months in advance...as soon as they see the school calendar.

Do you think the supervisor should let them know that they need to give others a chance to take leave for school breaks? Should they stick to the first come first serve rule? What if it is several people who do this each time? Do you think others should learn and put their stuff in early?

Guess it depends on the shop. Does your shop only allow one person on leave at a time?

I think it's ok to have your shop project dates ahead of time. I don't think it's ok to stick strictly to that calendar. It's more of a heads up than anything else.

LogDog
03-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Leave should be dependent upon mission requirements. As for scheduling leave, each shop has it's own rules. If your shop requires you to project your leave months in advance then they should have a deadline for submission of leave requests. The deadline will give supervisors a chance to view and weigh everyone's requests and to resolve problems with conflicting leave requests.

sandsjames
03-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Just remember that the leave CANNOT be denied, unless mission dictates. Even if it's not "projected" it is owed to the person. And there are very few things that the IG considers "mission essential" when it comes to denying it.

garhkal
03-07-2014, 08:39 PM

I much prefer a first come first serve for leave way of doing things, otherwise you get into instances where the boss man gives more credence to 'those with family' over those who are single (and yes i have seen it). At least with first come first serve, everyone has an equal opportunity to get theirs in first.

raider8169
03-07-2014, 09:13 PM
In Korea we had to project out to make sure we had the manning. Stateside I have never run into this issue but I still say its first come first served. Reguardless if the issue is that you are not getting the leave submit the leave 30 days out and force them to deny it. Its easy to say we cant let you take leave instead of forcing them to document it by not allowing the leave on leaveweb.

sandsjames
03-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Not once in 20 years was I ever denied leave. I can't think of anybody I worked with who was. I think the only exception was an ORI. We were told 6 months ahead of the ORI that leave wouldn't be allowed during that time unless 1. It was already in the system or 2. An emergency came up. This gave all plenty of time to plan around that 2 weeks. Still people were allowed to go for "big" family type events (weddings, graduations, etc). They just wanted to have time to plan what personnel would be on what team during the inspection.

I thought that was fair. And, even with that, I think there was one guy who tried the last minute thing and took it to IG when told he was denied. IG told the squadron that they couldn't deny it. So, the Sq let him go. Of course, this didn't bode well for him in the future. Not that he was singled out, but he also didn't gain any favor in the future.

garhkal
03-07-2014, 11:30 PM
I hve had 3 leaves denied. One was due to manning and family folk having leave as well (though i had mine in first, but cause i was single, i could as my chief said, suck it up), one was due to our deployment getting moved up and one was already approved, but due to someone with kids having an emergency holiday (well he won a trip supposedly that had a set time limit to use) i got bumpped off my leave so he could take his family trip.

Absinthe Anecdote
03-08-2014, 01:00 AM
In Korea we had to project out to make sure we had the manning. Stateside I have never run into this issue but I still say its first come first served. Reguardless if the issue is that you are not getting the leave submit the leave 30 days out and force them to deny it. Its easy to say we cant let you take leave instead of forcing them to document it by not allowing the leave on leaveweb.

As a former Security Forces member, I can vouch for this, if you are left without guards, you are considered "guard-less" and if it happens more than once, well, your whole unit is Re-guard-less.

That is why it it is imperative to schedule leave years in advance! Regardless, of the fact that most military members PCS after two or three years, and that it would preclude the annual hogging of the choice calendar days of leave.

Another overlooked fact is the importance of documenting your leave requests with the f/100+ and f/100- variance factor. I never knew what the fuck that stood for, but I always thought it was important, so make sure your leave requests have the proper f/100 variance factor computed.

sandsjames
03-08-2014, 01:25 AM
As a former Security Forces member, I can vouch for this, if you are left without guards, you are considered "guard-less" and if it happens more than once, well, your whole unit is Re-guard-less.

That is why it it is imperative to schedule leave years in advance! Regardless, of the fact that most military members PCS after two or three years, and that it would preclude the annual hogging of the choice calendar days of leave.

Another overlooked fact is the importance of documenting your leave requests with the f/100+ and f/100- variance factor. I never knew what the fuck that stood for, but I always thought it was important, so make sure your leave requests have the proper f/100 variance factor computed.

Nice use of commas, irreguardless of everything else.

Absinthe Anecdote
03-08-2014, 02:19 AM
Nice use of commas, irreguardless of everything else.

Thanks, pal!

Actually, did you know that irregardless is not really a word?

Much to your chagrin, it is very true; check out what Merriam-Webster says about the usage of irregardless:

Definition of IRREGARDLESS

nonstandard
: regardless
Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Thanks for trying to cover my six, in a true, Robin Olds fashion, but I would prefer that you concentrate on equality, for all of our troops.

sandsjames
03-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Thanks, pal!

Actually, did you know that irregardless is not really a word?

Much to your chagrin, it is very true; check out what Merriam-Webster says about the usage of irregardless:

Definition of IRREGARDLESS

nonstandard
: regardless
Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Thanks for trying to cover my six, in a true, Robin Olds fashion, but I would prefer that you concentrate on equality, for all of our troops.

I did know that and my usage was quite purposeful. As a matter of fact, the use of irregardless us usually mistaken for irrespective.