PDA

View Full Version : Gluten free---

Shaken1976
03-05-2014, 09:47 PM
My 11 year old was recently diagnosed with a gluten allergy. This is on top of a dairy allergy. I have been reading up on it and really have to wonder how this wasn't diagnosed sooner. The symptoms could have been written about her. Poor kid is pretty limited on what she can eat. Anyone have any experience with gluten free? Did you know that a gluten allergy can affect all kinds of crazy stuff...

1. Headaches
2. Eczema
3. skin rash
4. constipation
5. vomiting
6. ADHD....more hyper after eating wheat products
7. joint pain
8. trouble keeping on weight

All of these are things we have been back and forth to the doctor for..

Capt Alfredo
03-05-2014, 11:24 PM
I'm just wondering how you managed to start a thread. Sorry.

fufu
03-05-2014, 11:47 PM
I am gluten intolerant. It takes some getting used too. I advise making your own bread (Pamela's Products)

The challenge is eating out or on the go. Planning, planning, planning. Sometimes it sucks...

Most Wishbone Salad dressings are GF
Natural PB
Nature valley PROTEIN bars
fritos
cool ranch doritos
beef jerky
frozen yogurt (ck the label)

PM for more info if needed.

Capt Alfredo
03-06-2014, 12:06 AM
I am gluten intolerant. It takes some getting used too. I advise making your own bread (Pamela's Products)

The challenge is eating out or on the go. Planning, planning, planning. Sometimes it sucks...

Natural PB
fritos
cool ranch doritos
beef jerky

My wife and kids love the Pamela's products, especially to make pancakes.

Shaken1976
03-06-2014, 03:45 PM

Natural PB
fritos
cool ranch doritos
beef jerky

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I am lucky that she isn't a picky child. Lunches have been mostly fruits and veggies while I research to see what she can eat. It seems like our challenge will be Sunday breakfasts.

BENDER56
03-06-2014, 07:23 PM
You can find way more info about celiac disease (gluten intolerance) online than anyone here can give you. But be aware that because a gluten-free diet has become trendy among people who have no need to go gluten-free, you'll get a lot of search hits that are merely come-ons to get you to buy stuff.

The website mayoclinic.org is reputable, and there are many others.

I hate to pick nits, but you should be aware that celiac disease isn't an allergy. While it's true that for people with celiac disease the presence of gluten in the intestines creates an immune response, this response is different than a true allergic response. The term most people use for the condition is "gluten-intolerance." I don't mean to be dissing you by correcting you about that, but with your daughter's new diagnosis, you'll be talking about this often in the future and you'll have lots more credibility if you know the correct terminology (especially with health-care providers.) On the same subject, there is such a thing as having allergies to dairy products, but most people who have a reaction to dairy products are not truly allergic, they have an intolerance to dairy products. The symptoms and treatment are different and you should find out about that, too.

Grease Monkey
06-08-2014, 07:26 PM
There is no such thing as gluten intolerance. It's all fake it's all in your head. You got scammed and the doctors who diagnosed it are idiots. Of course people will get so damn outraged that I dare accuse the almighty gluten of being fake. You'll refuse to accept the truth and disregard what I posted because there's no way a multi-million dollar industry was launched from a fraud. It's not like the guy who literally invented Gluten intolerance says his research was invalid and then did a study to show effects from gluten are all psychosomatic. Oh, except, that's exactly what happened: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/14/gluten-intolerance-fake_n_5327420.html

BENDER56
06-08-2014, 07:53 PM
There is no such thing as gluten intolerance. It's all fake it's all in your head. You got scammed and the doctors who diagnosed it are idiots. Of course people will get so damn outraged that I dare accuse the almighty gluten of being fake. You'll refuse to accept the truth and disregard what I posted because there's no way a multi-million dollar industry was launched from a fraud. It's not like the guy who literally invented Gluten intolerance says his research was invalid and then did a study to show effects from gluten are all psychosomatic. Oh, except, that's exactly what happened: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/14/gluten-intolerance-fake_n_5327420.html

This is something I've long suspected. There are many sheeple out there who blindly follow whatever is trendy at the moment. And many sociological studies have shown that there's a self-affirming placebo effect that accompanies these types of trends. People who jump on whatever bandwagon it happens to be at the time will insist their newfound life-style makes them smarter, stronger, prettier, better in bed, yada yada yada. It's hardly ever true.

But to be 100% clear, the article you linked referred to "non-celiac gluten sensitivity." Celiac disease is a real medical disorder that is exacerbated by the ingestion of gluten. So, yes, there are people who truly have a gluten intolerance. Shaken's daughter might be one of them.

sandsjames
06-08-2014, 08:02 PM
It is pretty amazing. The number of people with celiac and peanut allergies these days it outrageous.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-08-2014, 08:06 PM

I started a cult a few months ago, and one of the ways that I keep the members on the compound is by convincing them that they have a gluten intolerance.

Most of the food that I provide for them comes straight from the supermarket, but I have a compound manager that removes it from the packaging before it is shipped into the compound. We tell them it comes from a nearby ranch that grows it organically.

I also have a bunch of crystals and a hunk of polished graphite in a little shrine that they think protects them from all sorts of allergies and ills.

It's easy controlling them, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to get them producing anything to make a real profit out of.

I'm thinking of getting them making doomsday survival kits to sell to the growing survivalist/prepper community.

Starting a cult and getting followers was easy, controlling them is fairly easy too, getting them to be profitable is the hard part.

They are barely meeting operating costs, I might get them to polish up some chunks of quartz to sell as anti-gluten amulets. That might help?

TJMAC77SP
06-08-2014, 08:35 PM
I started a cult a few months ago, and one of the ways that I keep the members on the compound is by convincing them that they have a gluten intolerance.

Most of the food that I provide for them comes straight from the supermarket, but I have a compound manager that removes it from the packaging before it is shipped into the compound. We tell them it comes from a nearby ranch that grows it organically.

I also have a bunch of crystals and a hunk of polished graphite in a little shrine that they think protects them from all sorts of allergies and ills.

It's easy controlling them, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to get them producing anything to make a real profit out of.

I'm thinking of getting them making doomsday survival kits to sell to the growing survivalist/prepper community.

Starting a cult and getting followers was easy, controlling them is fairly easy too, getting them to be profitable is the hard part.

They are barely meeting operating costs, I might get them to polish up some chunks of quartz to sell as anti-gluten amulets. That might help?

How many cults do you have going?

Absinthe Anecdote
06-08-2014, 09:29 PM
How many cults do you have going?

Just the one right now, I'm not going to expand until I get them profitable.

I made a good bit of money from the original group of members as they pooled their savings to pay for the new main building on the ranch, and I told them the rest was used to buy gold bullion that we keep in the vault, which is really just an old Mosler three drawer safe that I picked up from a surplus sale.

If they ever find out that it is filled with spray painted lead bars, I'm in deep shit.

I'm especially proud of the idea of it being a cult that worships a moon goddess. I'm only obligated to show up at the compound once a month for the full moon ceremony.

I've got them self sufficient with the current compound manager, but he can't get them turning a profit.

I really need to spend more time on the ranch to get them earning more cash, but they are so fucking stupid that I can only tolerate them in small doses.

BENDER56
06-08-2014, 09:31 PM
... Starting a cult and getting followers was easy, controlling them is fairly easy too, getting them to be profitable is the hard part. ...

Wait. I thought we started cults just to prey on young, nubile women. There's more?

Damn! I've been doing it wrong all these years.

Absinthe Anecdote
06-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Wait. I thought we started cults just to prey on young, nubile women. There's more?

Damn! I've been doing it wrong all these years.

Unfortunately, I don't have any females that could be considered hotties. Plus, to cut down on expenses, I've got them convinced that most hygiene products like deodorant, shampoo, conditioners are bad for them.

They make their own soap and brush their teeth with sassafras twigs, which is another reason I can't tolerate them for extended periods.