PDA

View Full Version : Vending machines gone in schools?

sandsjames
02-26-2014, 06:27 PM
It's seems the First Lady is pushing to remove vending machines with unhealthy food from schools across the country.

Definitely goes too far, IMO. It's one thing to make people aware of a healthy lifestyle. It's another to take away the options. Seems like this will be supported fully by Obamacare as a way to reduce health costs. This will be the start of something much larger in the government telling us what we can and can't do as it relates to our health.

Greg
02-26-2014, 06:59 PM
A state judge has knocked down New York City's ban on big, sugary drinks last March of 2013. Same thing, no?

sandsjames
02-26-2014, 07:02 PM
A state judge has knocked down New York City's ban on big, sugary drinks last March of 2013. Same thing, no?

I think so. Though you know how people get when it comes to "protecting" children from themselves.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-26-2014, 10:00 PM
I don't have a problem with taking vending machines out of schools. It is certainly up to the school district to make a decision like that.

sandsjames
02-26-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't have a problem with taking vending machines out of schools. It is certainly up to the school district to make a decision like that.

Yeah, I'm ok with it being left up to the school district, as the community votes for members of the local school boards. Nobody any higher than that level should have a say, though.

Rusty Jones
02-26-2014, 10:45 PM
It's seems the First Lady is pushing to remove vending machines with unhealthy food from schools across the country.

Definitely goes too far, IMO. It's one thing to make people aware of a healthy lifestyle. It's another to take away the options. Seems like this will be supported fully by Obamacare as a way to reduce health costs. This will be the start of something much larger in the government telling us what we can and can't do as it relates to our health.

It would be one thing if the President himself was pushing for it, because then we'd be looking at an attempt to legislate this. But this is coming from the First Lady. She's trying to influence, not legislate.

AJBIGJ
02-26-2014, 11:03 PM
It would be one thing if the President himself was pushing for it, because then we'd be looking at an attempt to legislate this. But this is coming from the First Lady. She's trying to influence, not legislate.
Yeah, I'm with you here, this is no more offensive to me than say the "Say no to drugs" campaign of yesteryear. The war on drugs is a major quagmire, if we begin arresting parents of obese children or closing schools that offer vending machines with FDA raids I'll grow more concerned!