PDA

View Full Version : We're losing the post library.

OtisRNeedleman
02-21-2014, 10:33 PM
We're losing the Chamberlin Library at the Presidio of Monterey/Defense Language Institute pretty soon. Apparently "they" don't have money to run it any more. The Academic Library will remain. The situation really stinks, as does the way the garrison management has gone about the closure. All the news on this has been word-of-mouth. We don't know exactly when the library will close.

Something that really stinks...the manner in which the books will be disposed of. Over the years a number of people have donated books to the post library. One retired lieutenant colonel's family donated his large book collection upon his passing away. The library's books will first be offered to other Army libraries. Then they will be offered to other military libraries. No problem there. The remaining books will be shipped to DRMO, likely to sit in a warehouse until they get trashed or pulped, and that's what sucks. Unfortunately, Army regulations don't allow the base populace the opportunity to get the remaining books.

On a side note, the retiring DLI Commandant is the city of Monterey's top choice for city manager. Just hope he doesn't close the Monterey Public Library.

sandsjames
02-21-2014, 10:42 PM
We're losing the Chamberlin Library at the Presidio of Monterey/Defense Language Institute pretty soon. Apparently "they" don't have money to run it any more. The Academic Library will remain. The situation really stinks, as does the way the garrison management has gone about the closure. All the news on this has been word-of-mouth. We don't know exactly when the library will close.

Something that really stinks...the manner in which the books will be disposed of. Over the years a number of people have donated books to the post library. One retired lieutenant colonel's family donated his large book collection upon his passing away. The library's books will first be offered to other Army libraries. Then they will be offered to other military libraries. No problem there. The remaining books will be shipped to DRMO, likely to sit in a warehouse until they get trashed or pulped, and that's what sucks. Unfortunately, Army regulations don't allow the base populace the opportunity to get the remaining books.

On a side note, the retiring DLI Commandant is the city of Monterey's top choice for city manager. Just hope he doesn't close the Monterey Public Library.

I know it's a pain in the ass but doesn't DRMO end up auctioning, or selling, a lot of that stuff? Could probably get a whole bundle of stuff really, really cheep.

OtisRNeedleman
02-22-2014, 03:01 AM
I know it's a pain in the ass but doesn't DRMO end up auctioning, or selling, a lot of that stuff? Could probably get a whole bundle of stuff really, really cheep.

Possibly, but don't believe there's a DRMO near here, and it wouldn't be worth it to drive a couple of hundred miles round-trip for some old books.

sandsjames
02-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Possibly, but don't believe there's a DRMO near here, and it wouldn't be worth it to drive a couple of hundred miles round-trip for some old books.

Gotcha...some places are lucky enough to have the DRMO depot within a pretty close distance. Sucks that you aren't in that situation.

MisterBen
02-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Totally unsat. I been to that post and I wish I was stationed there. Beautiful area and I envy you OP.

Capt Alfredo
02-25-2014, 12:38 AM
I used to go to the post library over on the old Fort Ord in 2001 (it was still open even after the Fort closed in the mid-90s); is one not still open?

Absinthe Anecdote
02-25-2014, 02:09 AM
While I find post libraries enjoyable to visit, they are quaint at best, and quickly becoming less needed. I think they could be morphed into a post computer lab or research center.

More and more books are available on-line and I don't see a need to keep libraries around in their present form. Even the classics are available on-line, for free.

Check out Project Gutenberg at: http://www.gutenberg.org

OtisRNeedleman
02-26-2014, 05:44 PM
I used to go to the post library over on the old Fort Ord in 2001 (it was still open even after the Fort closed in the mid-90s); is one not still open? That's the one being closed. The Aiso Library at DLI is staying open but it is an academic library. I'll miss the Chamberlin Library. Always quiet, clean. No homeless people camping in there, no prostitutes and pimps, unlike certain of our local public libraries.