PDA

View Full Version : Another Army ribbon (perhaps DoD wide)

MisterBen
02-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Who thinks it is a good idea to now get a "Retirement" ribbon than the coveted MSM ;)

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140209/NEWS05/302090005/SFC-pitches-idea-Army-Retirement-Medal-

efmbman
02-21-2014, 06:27 PM
As an Army retiree, I have no particular objection other than the proposed precedence of 2nd only the MOH. I really like the suggestion in one of the comments that we could simply authorize a numeral device on the Army Service Ribbon. I will never wear the uniform again, so I have little use for another medal. I will sleep soundly every night with or without it.

Rusty Jones
02-21-2014, 07:42 PM
A ribbon that you'll never wear? Yeah, that makes sense.

sandsjames
02-21-2014, 08:55 PM
A ribbon that you'll never wear? Yeah, that makes sense.

Exactly. It's funny how many people I seen pissed off because they weren't getting an MSM when they retired. Makes me laugh every time.

360BHR
02-22-2014, 03:30 AM
Exactly. It's funny how many people I seen pissed off because they weren't getting an MSM when they retired. Makes me laugh every time.

To some the medal itself may not matter. The retirement certificate and letters from the CMSAF & CINC simply recognize and thank you for your long service. The medal's accompanying citation is official recognition of the accomplishments and job performance over one's career. Some people look forward to having their family hear about what they've done.

Gonzo432
02-22-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm not going to run down SFC Janotta, 20 (or 25 in his case) is a long time.

I don't agree that it's needed. A retiree is recognized with a retirement certificate, plus numerous letters, usually a shadow box, more often than not a retirement decoration. This would eliminate the age-old argument over the level of decoration for retirement.

I don't agree it should be higher in precedence than the Service Cross/Silver Star. Anything that is presented for "gallantry and bravery" trumps hanging in for 20.

Lapel pin? Got one! Blue-ID? Oh yeah! AF Retiree hat? Got two!

Stalwart
02-22-2014, 10:39 AM
A retiree is recognized with a retirement certificate, plus numerous letters, usually a shadow box, more often than not a retirement decoration.

Completely concur.

I don't agree it should be higher in precedence than the Service Cross/Silver Star. Anything that is presented for "gallantry and bravery" trumps hanging in for 20.

Exactly.

MisterBen
02-22-2014, 01:26 PM
As an Army retiree, I have no particular objection other than the proposed precedence of 2nd only the MOH. I really like the suggestion in one of the comments that we could simply authorize a numeral device on the Army Service Ribbon. I will never wear the uniform again, so I have little use for another medal. I will sleep soundly every night with or without it.

I think that is an excellent idea to do something with one of those easily "give me" medals that you earn right after Basic and AIT. Yes, this medal, will be something that you will get and not really worn since you are retiring but I am curious to know how many retirees do wear their class A uniforms afterwards?

Absinthe Anecdote
02-22-2014, 02:01 PM
To some the medal itself may not matter. The retirement certificate and letters from the CMSAF & CINC simply recognize and thank you for your long service. The medal's accompanying citation is official recognition of the accomplishments and job performance over one's career. Some people look forward to having their family hear about what they've done.

Since he didn't get one they are all dumb.

sandsjames
02-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Since he didn't get one they are all dumb.

Great point.

Gonzo432
02-22-2014, 11:40 PM
A miniature metal version of that medal, in AF blue and silver with the AF seal, I could see that on my retiree hat.

CON50582
02-25-2014, 12:00 AM
The only advantage I can see is to know whom is retired when retired service members where the Blue ASU. They used to put the Army Retired patch on the Green Service Uniform as the SSI and now with the blue ASUs lack of SSI there is no way to tell whom is active or retired.