PDA

View Full Version : Graduate School Suggestions...

AF2017
02-19-2014, 09:36 AM
For those of you working on your Master's, what school are you attending? Happy with it? I'm looking to start an MBA, online, that will cost close to the $250 TA rate with no GMAT. Saving my 9/11 benefit for my kids. It's amazing how much these schools are charging.

SomeRandomGuy
02-19-2014, 01:17 PM
For those of you working on your Master's, what school are you attending? Happy with it? I'm looking to start an MBA, online, that will cost close to the $250 TA rate with no GMAT. Saving my 9/11 benefit for my kids. It's amazing how much these schools are charging.

I'm attending Trident University International. It is a completely online school. There is no application fee and no GMAT required. They really work hard to get you started when you apply. The courses are 12 weeks long in 2 week blocks. There are no tests or quizzes. For each module you have a discussion board, a 2-3 page paper, and a 5-7 page case study. All the material is provided and there are no books to buy. I believe the Military rate is 1200 per course and each course is 4 credit hours. So I guess it meets all of your requirements except for being slightly over budget.

Now with all that being said let me answer your question about whether I am happy with it. I am using up the rest of my post 9/11 GI Bill. My Bachelors is in Accounting and a Masters won't really do anything for me regardless of what school it is from. Trident is not exactly a prestigious University but it still counts as a Masters degree and I am collecting $714.50 every month (the online rate) to spend about 2 hours per week on school. So yes I am happy with it but I'm not sure everyone would be if they wanted an actual education. I'm just trying to burn up the rest of my GI Bill and make a few extra bucks. So Trident meets my needs just fine. If I had a child that I could have transferrred my GI Bill too I probably would have done that as opposed to wasting the rest of it.

TJMAC77SP
02-19-2014, 02:28 PM
As part of pre-employment background investigations my company verifies any degrees claimed. We have had three incidents in the past two years of questionable degrees and/or degrees from questionable institutions. Well one instance was just plain fraud (forged transcript) but the other two were degrees from diploma mills.

For those of you looking into on-line schools (or any college) please ensure they are properly accredited. Don't rely on the schools claims of being accredited because there are also phony accreditation organizations. Use the Department of Education database (http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/search.aspx). It the school isn't listed, please research completely before you give them any money.

CORNELIUSSEON
02-19-2014, 02:43 PM
As part of pre-employment background investigations my company verifies any degrees claimed. We have had three incidents in the past two years of questionable degrees and/or degrees from questionable institutions. Well one instance was just plain fraud (forged transcript) but the other two were degrees from diploma mills.

For those of you looking into on-line schools (or any college) please ensure they are properly accredited. Don't rely on the schools claims of being accredited because there are also phony accreditation organizations. Use the Department of Education database (http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/search.aspx). It the school isn't listed, please research completely before you give them any money.

This is sage advice, indeed!!!

Rusty Jones
02-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Regional accreditation is a like a driver's license. It basically means that an institution of higher learning meets the minimum requirements.

However, what's going to get you hired? An MBA program with the proper specialty accreditation - namely AACSB. The other two - IACBE and ACSBP are worthless. Either a business school has AACSB or it doesn't, and that's what employers care about.

Generally, most AACSB schools DO require you to take the GMAT, however there are some that will waive it based on your undergrad GPA. I got my MBA from such a school - Texas A&M University-Commerce. It's AACSB accredited, online, and they'll waive your GMAT as long as you've got 3.25 or higher undergrad GPA.

I believe University of Houston at Victoria and University of Wisconsin at Whitewater will also waive the GMAT based on GPA, if I recall correctly - but I do know for a fact that both schools are AACSB accredited.

Here's a list of online AACSB accredited graduate schools (there may be more, if you're willing to do the research). Be sure to click on each one, and check the admissions requirements to see if they'll waive the GMAT: http://www.geteducated.com/profiles/search/online-MBA&SS=Search%20by%20Level%20%3E%20Online%20MBA

MisterBen
02-19-2014, 11:39 PM
I started on my master's in 2008 and finally completed it last year. Used my annual TA on it and like you; saving my Post 9/11 for my children.

I started with UMUC Europe and then transferred to UMUC when I DEROS back stateside. My degree is in IT but it has an MBA program as well.

For my undergraduate degrees, I never took an online course but I did it all with UMUC and I found it to be very challenging and worth every penny.

http://www.umuc.edu/academic-programs/masters-degrees/master-of-business-administration.cfm

TJMAC77SP
02-20-2014, 12:01 AM
There is a real glut of MBAs in the US now. Companies generally aren't looking for that degree in particular. This article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikaandersen/2013/07/27/why-spending-150k-on-an-mba-is-probably-a-dumb-idea/) is interesting. It is opinion but still interesting.

Rusty Jones
02-20-2014, 01:14 PM
There is a real glut of MBAs in the US now. Companies generally aren't looking for that degree in particular. This article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikaandersen/2013/07/27/why-spending-150k-on-an-mba-is-probably-a-dumb-idea/) is interesting. It is opinion but still interesting.

Very true, which is why I mentioned what I mentioned earlier... employers are now very selective about which MBA's they're going to hire. AACSB should be the bare minimum requirement that any prospective grad student should place on any MBA program when selecting one.

The next thing should be whether or not the program offers specialties - for example, an MBA in Finance as opposed to a general MBA (an MBA in Finance being totally different from an MS or MA in Finance). The ones with the specialty are more valuable than a general MBA.

TJMAC77SP
02-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Very true, which is why I mentioned what I mentioned earlier... employers are now very selective about which MBA's they're going to hire. AACSB should be the bare minimum requirement that any prospective grad student should place on any MBA program when selecting one.

The next thing should be whether or not the program offers specialties - for example, an MBA in Finance as opposed to a general MBA (an MBA in Finance being totally different from an MS or MA in Finance). The ones with the specialty are more valuable than a general MBA.

I agree ..........if you are seeking a job in the area of your MBA specialty. For example, those who aspire to be on the CFO track, finance is the way to go. Most people I have encountered have a vanilla MBA and you can't swing a cat in corporate America without hitting an MBA