PDA

View Full Version : Can the Flight CC implement mandatory off-duty PT?

70gto
02-16-2014, 01:23 AM
If it's a commander's program, does the flight commander have the authority implement mandatory PT after duty hours?

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
02-16-2014, 06:22 AM
If it's a commander's program, does the flight commander have the authority implement mandatory PT after duty hours?

Well, as most people know a flight/CC is not a commander. That said, no reason a flight/CC can't have PT before or after a scheduled shift.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-16-2014, 09:32 AM
I hope I don't hear the sound of someone trying to get out of doing PT.

On the positive side, it sounds like there is a hard charging Flight CC out there that is looking out for his troops by keeping them physically fit.

Stories like that warm my heart and bring a smile to my face; it makes me want to go join the Air Force again and do another 20 years.

BOSS302
02-16-2014, 12:35 PM

You need to reevaluate your understanding of "duty hours."

UH1FE
02-16-2014, 03:18 PM
You really need to read you're oath of enlistment again......."ALL officers appointed over me" So that means commissioned and non-commissioned officers.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-16-2014, 03:31 PM
You really need to read you're oath of enlistment again......."ALL officers appointed over me" So that means commissioned and non-commissioned officers.

I was going to tell him to schedule an appointment with the Squadron CC and then say that the Flight CC is getting too big for his britches and trying to take over the PT program, but I didn't have the heart.

Poor kid, he probably just wants to go back to his room and eat Pop Tarts instead of doing PT.

jshiver15
02-16-2014, 04:36 PM
I was going to tell him to schedule an appointment with the Squadron CC and then say that the Flight CC is getting too big for his britches and trying to take over the PT program, but I didn't have the heart.

Poor kid, he probably just wants to go back to his room and eat Pop Tarts instead of doing PT.

I was thinking spanking it to Hentai and eating Cheetos. But I think we're on the same page here.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-16-2014, 04:44 PM
I was thinking spanking it to Hentai and eating Cheetos. But I think we're on the same page here.

Wouldn't he get orange stuff all over his.... Never mind, you don't have to answer that.

jshiver15
02-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Wouldn't he get orange stuff all over his.... Never mind, you don't have to answer that.

lol. It was actually inspired by a joke I remember from way back about a guy who doesn't understand why his junk turned orange.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-16-2014, 04:54 PM
lol. It was actually inspired by a joke I remember from way back about a guy who doesn't understand why his junk turned orange.

Poor 70gto, this thread didn't do him much good, but that is exactly the image of the type of troop his OP conjured.

jshiver15
02-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Poor 70gto, this thread didn't do him much good, but that is exactly the image of the type of troop his OP conjured.

We once had a guy in my squadron, his name was Sergeant, who took 30 days of leave 31 days before his annual PT test. This dude spent the 30 days of leave in his dorm room eating pizza and playing World of Warcraft. He literally didn't leave his room for 30 straight days. The smell got so bad that they did an on-the-spot inspection the day he came back from leave (without a clean uniform or a haircut) and they had to wear masks to go into his room. Later that morning he needed to take his PT test.

Our squadron would try to do tests for everyone around the same time so sometimes other flights would be at the base track doing their PT tests on the same day. My buddy shows up to test some of our guys and this kid Sergeant is hunched over, puking on the ground. My buddy goes up to his PTL and says "How did his run go?" The PTL replies "He hasn't done it, yet. He just finished sit-ups."

Absinthe Anecdote
02-16-2014, 06:48 PM
We once had a guy in my squadron, his name was Sergeant, who took 30 days of leave 31 days before his annual PT test. This dude spent the 30 days of leave in his dorm room eating pizza and playing World of Warcraft. He literally didn't leave his room for 30 straight days. The smell got so bad that they did an on-the-spot inspection the day he came back from leave (without a clean uniform or a haircut) and they had to wear masks to go into his room. Later that morning he needed to take his PT test.

Our squadron would try to do tests for everyone around the same time so sometimes other flights would be at the base track doing their PT tests on the same day. My buddy shows up to test some of our guys and this kid Sergeant is hunched over, puking on the ground. My buddy goes up to his PTL and says "How did his run go?" The PTL replies "He hasn't done it, yet. He just finished sit-ups."

I think every squadron I was in had a couple of dudes like that, but I was intel for most of my career, the WoW kids seem very adept at being linguists.

Still, SF had it's share of them too. We had one dude who earned the nickname Roach Coach because he always took an incredible amount of junk food snacks out to post with him. I'll never forget seeing this guy walk a boundary sentry post, with a family sized bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.

I was on a vehicle patrol with him one night and he pulled out three cans of Vienna Sausages. On his second can, I started slamming on the brakes or stomping on the accelerator each time he tried to extract a sausage from the can. He finally dropped one and I thought the guy was going to shoot me.

He got on the radio and called the Flight Chief, who tried very hard to keep a straight face while he admonished me for being reckless with the vehicle. Later that night, the Flight Chief had an exercise and our vehicle was simulated disabled and we had to respond on foot about a mile from our current location. A clear message for us to learn to get along.

I gleefully trotted along beside this guy singing an impromptu song about Vienna Sausages. It is truly a wonder that guy didn't kill me, he was the size of a barn.

DWWSWWD
02-27-2014, 08:01 PM
I think every squadron I was in had a couple of dudes like that, but I was intel for most of my career, the WoW kids seem very adept at being linguists.

Still, SF had it's share of them too. We had one dude who earned the nickname Roach Coach because he always took an incredible amount of junk food snacks out to post with him. I'll never forget seeing this guy walk a boundary sentry post, with a family sized bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.

I was on a vehicle patrol with him one night and he pulled out three cans of Vienna Sausages. On his second can, I started slamming on the brakes or stomping on the accelerator each time he tried to extract a sausage from the can. He finally dropped one and I thought the guy was going to shoot me.

He got on the radio and called the Flight Chief, who tried very hard to keep a straight face while he admonished me for being reckless with the vehicle. Later that night, the Flight Chief had an exercise and our vehicle was simulated disabled and we had to respond on foot about a mile from our current location. A clear message for us to learn to get along.

I gleefully trotted along beside this guy singing an impromptu song about Vienna Sausages. It is truly a wonder that guy didn't kill me, he was the size of a barn. That's an awesome story. I used to work in missile comm. There was a guy that I just didn't like and he didn't like me. Absolutely no reason either. Had to go to the missile field one day, furthest site. The boss had put just me and this guy on the trip. It was very seldom 2 folks that would go, usually 3 or 4. Guess he figured we'd beat the hell out of one another and that would be the end of it. We rode for about an hour in complete silence. Finally, he said " I don't like you". I told him the same and that was about it. We chatted a little about it but never did get past it. Weird.

socal1200r
02-28-2014, 02:18 PM
First, unless the flight CC is on G-series orders and has UCMJ authority, he's not a "real" CC, just in title only. Second, if PT is so important to this guy, schedule it during "normal" duty hours. And all this misguided emphasis on PT got me to thinking...wonder if there's any correlation between someone's PT score, their job proficiency, and EPRs/OPRs? Me personally, I'd rather have troops that know their jobs forwards and backwards, and couldn't care less about their PT scores. MIght have avoided something like those live nukes being loaded and flown across the country...

Absinthe Anecdote
02-28-2014, 03:28 PM
PT is part of your job!

raider8169
02-28-2014, 05:16 PM
So my 2 cents. The easy fix for any of this is for the guy to just change the normal duty hours for another 2 hours before or after and problem solved. I think the guy was more bitching than expecting anything to change.

First, unless the flight CC is on G-series orders and has UCMJ authority, he's not a "real" CC, just in title only. Second, if PT is so important to this guy, schedule it during "normal" duty hours. And all this misguided emphasis on PT got me to thinking...wonder if there's any correlation between someone's PT score, their job proficiency, and EPRs/OPRs? Me personally, I'd rather have troops that know their jobs forwards and backwards, and couldn't care less about their PT scores. MIght have avoided something like those live nukes being loaded and flown across the country...

I dont think anything would have matter and those nukes would have flown. The problem is that those people are bored with their jobs and stoped caring. Or maybe that care but runing the same checklist over and over gets old and things will get dropped. The fix is to rotate out the people so the ones running the checklist are new and still learning. They will keep the attention to detail while the other person should be someone who has been there a long time and likely knows everything inside and out.

sandsjames
02-28-2014, 08:20 PM

Luckily, this topic has never been discussed before. Hold on...let me check...yep...no threads about work proficiency vs. other components. Glad you brought this up. Maybe now we can finally get it straightened out.

BOSS302
03-31-2014, 04:09 PM
Luckily, this topic has never been discussed before. Hold on...let me check...yep...no threads about work proficiency vs. other components. Glad you brought this up. Maybe now we can finally get it straightened out.

Luckily, you have never been discussed before.