PDA

View Full Version : Air Force in the News Again

BOSS302
02-14-2014, 08:50 PM
I wonder what shall come of this?

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140214/NEWS/302140019/Photo-airman-kissing-POW-MIA-symbol-causes-uproar

http://cmsimg.airforcetimes.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=M6&Date=20140214&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=302140019&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Photo-airman-kissing-POW-MIA-symbol-causes-uproar

AFcynic
02-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Is it still considered sexual assault. The mural didn't ask for it...

OtisRNeedleman
02-14-2014, 08:58 PM
WTF?

BOSS302
02-14-2014, 09:03 PM
There are a few rumors swirling around about the photo. Some say it is a few years old. Others say she's already been punished for it. Whatever the case is with this photo, it's not a good thing for this SrA (or whatever her current rank is) when the CMSAF has to comment on your actions...

BRUWIN
02-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Is she an STA? I am sure this girl made a very serious error in judgement and already regrets this. It was in my facebook today. I'm not going to harp on it. I am pretty sure she's already had significant regret and there is no sense in beating someone when they are down. But yes...it was a very very stupid thing to do. And keep in mind...the one taking the picture shouldn't be immune to discipline in this case either.

BOSS302
02-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Is she an STA? I am sure this girl made a very serious error in judgement and already regrets this. It was in my facebook today. I'm not going to harp on it. I am pretty sure she's already had significant regret and there is no sense in beating someone when they are down. But yes...it was a very very stupid thing to do. And keep in mind...the one taking the picture shouldn't be immune to discipline in this case either.

If she has been punished in the past for this action, I would hope nothing else would come of it. Shamefully, mob fury can overwhelm good sense. A friend of mine re-posted this picture from a military-themed FB group; I checked out their comments and some were ridiculous.

Juggs
02-14-2014, 09:21 PM
If she has been punished in the past for this action, I would hope nothing else would come of it. Shamefully, mob fury can overwhelm good sense. A friend of mine re-posted this picture from a military-themed FB group; I checked out their comments and some were ridiculous.

Like the BS of tar and feathering her. She should be beaten, sent to south Korea. Just dumb joes and Marines doing what they do. Fly off and handle.

Chief_KO
02-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Airmen (all ranks): Stop doing stupid, dumb things. Before you do something ask yourself: "Would my Grandmother approve?"
Airmen (with Smartphones): Stop taking/sharing picture of Airmen doing stupid, dumb things. Your phone may be "smart" but you are not.

fufu
02-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Yep.. That *might* be here.....and some peeps I know *might* have been involved. Can't really say more than that right now. SMH..

technomage1
02-14-2014, 11:07 PM
The only way this would be remotely funny is if the mural was frozen. A stuck tongue would have served her right.

Otherwise, I'm with Otis. Wtf?

imported_KnuckleDragger
02-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Yep.. That *might* be here.....and some peeps I know *might* have been involved. Can't really say more than that right now. SMH..

I thought it happened years ago...

Someone mentioned Fairchild AFB...

imported_KnuckleDragger
02-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Airmen (all ranks): Stop doing stupid, dumb things. Before you do something ask yourself: "Would my Grandmother approve?"
Airmen (with Smartphones): Stop taking/sharing picture of Airmen doing stupid, dumb things. Your phone may be "smart" but you are not.

People will always do stupid/dumb things.

They need to stop taking pictures!

Gonzo432
02-14-2014, 11:25 PM

Before digital cameras/smart phones/social networks/the Internet people did dumb things. Fortunately the quality of Polaroid pictures was so bad it was hard to tell how dumb you were being.

youngsmsgt
02-15-2014, 12:07 AM
I saw a picture on crossfit.com a few months back of a pilot doing a one legged squat on the wing of a T-37. He or she was in full flying gear helmet included with the visor down. This was an obvious safety violation/issue. No one was in an uproar over this Officer, leader of men, responsible for a million plus dollar machine making a irresponsible decision. Yet a young SrA is such a disgrace for doing what young adults do. It was stupid to do but does not warrant all of this condemnation in my opinion. Especially when we don't condemn those that get paid more when they do stupid things.

fufu
02-15-2014, 12:17 AM
I thought it happened years ago...

Someone mentioned Fairchild AFB...

Fairchild is right...and the pic was yrs ago...and most of the peeps are still here.

BRUWIN
02-15-2014, 12:38 AM
Fairchild is right...and the pic was yrs ago...and most of the peeps are still here.

And that's the next sad lesson...it can never completely go away.

Big Blue
02-15-2014, 12:59 AM
Is it still considered sexual assault. The mural didn't ask for it...

Good One!

SomeRandomGuy
02-15-2014, 01:04 AM
I think I am missing something here. I just really don't see the issue with this. She took what she thought was a funny picture (it isn't). People do this stuff all the time. I have seen photos on the internet of people pretending to knock down the Leaning Tower of Piza. Plenty of people do crazy stuff with monuments all the time. It's disrespectful to do this to the POW/MIA symbol but nothing she did is illegal.

DWWSWWD
02-15-2014, 01:27 AM
I saw a picture on crossfit.com a few months back of a pilot doing a one legged squat on the wing of a T-37. He or she was in full flying gear helmet included with the visor down. This was an obvious safety violation/issue. No one was in an uproar over this Officer, leader of men, responsible for a million plus dollar machine making a irresponsible decision. Yet a young SrA is such a disgrace for doing what young adults do. It was stupid to do but does not warrant all of this condemnation in my opinion. Especially when we don't condemn those that get paid more when they do stupid things.

Welcome, new guy, but no.

Airborne
02-15-2014, 01:36 AM

It's because she's black.

:behindsofa

Juggs
02-15-2014, 01:52 AM

I'd like to add one more. If you ARE going to do something stupid. Leave no evidence. That includes any type of recordings.

Juggs
02-15-2014, 01:55 AM

She does have some severe back lash coming her way. That dumbass officer SHOULD'VE been handed some paperwork. Had he fallen off of that, there would've been more safety briefings.

youngsmsgt
02-15-2014, 02:01 AM
I'd like to add one more. If you ARE going to do something stupid. Leave no evidence. That includes any type of recordings.
Exactly. All these gray hairs up in arms obviously can't relate to this generation. She didn't take a selfie. So others were around her when this took place and no one said this is a bad idea your grandma might see this and be upset.

waveshaper2
02-15-2014, 02:19 AM
Dang, I thought the demise of Global Strike Command and our nuclear forces was the most important crisis the USAF and DoD were currently facing. Apparently I was way off on that assumption.

TJMAC77SP
02-15-2014, 02:51 AM
It's because she's black.

:behindsofa

I suppose it had to be said..............

MisterBen
02-15-2014, 03:21 AM
While in real news......

RIP Warriors

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140214/NEWS/302140021/Pentagon-IDs-Special-Forces-soldiers-killed-insider-attack

wxjumper
02-15-2014, 04:30 AM
Gotta love social media.

What's with the blue rope around her shoulder? Was she Honor Guard or something (which would make this transgression even more shocking)?

fufu
02-15-2014, 05:59 AM
Was she Honor Guard or something (which would make this transgression even more shocking)?

Yep.

Badger
02-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Are we really searching for the reason for the backlash? It's because she doesn't give a fuck what the POW/MIA logo represents.

imported_blacksheep1208
02-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Are we really searching for the reason for the backlash? It's because she doesn't give a fuck what the POW/MIA logo represents.

You nailed it. If someone out there doesn't get why people are upset, they really need to think about what that symbol represents. You know, only the roughly 83,000 that never made it back. I'd like to hear actual former POW's views about this.

jshiver15
02-15-2014, 08:22 AM

There's a pretty big difference between irresponsibility and complete disrespect.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-15-2014, 10:06 AM
You nailed it. If someone out there doesn't get why people are upset, they really need to think about what that symbol represents. You know, only the roughly 83,000 that never made it back. I'd like to hear actual former POW's views about this.

Yes, it is bad and a very disrespectful thing to do, but let's not go apeshit over it like the people commenting on it off the main website.

They are calling for a court martial and a dishonorable discharge.

It was just the stupidity and irreverence of youth and I have no doubt she took her lumps for that dumb photo.

I don't imagine too many former POWs, losing their temper and calling for this girls head either. They might not like it and they might have something to say, but it would probably not be the phony outrage of those people posting comments on the main site.

Frankly, I get more pissed at all those cheesy assed country singers who promote faux patriotism with their corny assed songs.

Yes, I'm flipping this around and taking aim at country music listeners, they are the ones freaking out over this, because they think Trace Atkins would want them to be deeply upset.

That photo is stirring up a bunch of FB nimrods who also forward each other videos of orange Dodge chargers jumping over hay bales. The truth is that photo is older than the Jeff Foxworthy jokes those guys forward each other, trust me, they'll get over it.

BOSS302
02-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Yes, it is bad and a very disrespectful thing to do, but let's not go apeshit over it like the people commenting on it off the main website.

It was just the stupidity and irreverence of youth and I have no doubt she took her lumps for that dumb photo.

I don't imagine too many former POWs, losing their temper and calling for this girls head either. They might not like it and they might have something to say, but it would probably not be the phony outrage of those people posting comments on the main site.

Frankly, I get more pissed of at all those cheesy assed country singers who promote faux patriotism with their corny assed songs.

Yes, I'm flipping this around and taking aim at country music listeners, they are the ones freaking out over this, because they think Trace Atkins would want them to be deeply upset.

That photo is stirring up a bunch of FB nimrods who also forward each other videos of orange Dodge chargers jumping over hay bales. The truth is that photo is older than the Jeff Foxworthy jokes those guys forward each other, trust me, they'll get over it.

Yes, it is only country music fans with Dodge Chargers and stockpiles of hay who are upset over this. You were going good until you jacked it up at the end of your post.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Yes, it is only country music fans with Dodge Chargers and stockpiles of hay who are upset over this. You were going good until you jacked it up at the end of your post.

Sorry, guess I forgot about all those Ford and Chevy fanatics who are upset over this, not to mention the Harley Davidson riders.

The segment of our culture that this went viral in, is what I described in an unflattering manner.

Sorry again, but I do question the sincerity of any person who wears their patriotism as conspicuously as a Halloween costume, and that is who I see as making the most noise over this, the ones who festoon themselves in POW/MIA bling.

The girl did something dumb, and I don't like it either, but she doesn't deserve a dishonorable discharge over it.

I respect our POW/MIA countrymen to the utmost, and frankly, I would much rather imagine them being gracious, and forgiving this kid for the dumb stunt she pulled.

jshiver15
02-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Sorry, guess I forgot about all those Ford and Chevy fanatics who are upset over this, not to mention the Harley Davidson riders.

The segment of our culture that this went viral in, is what I described in an unflattering manner.

Sorry again, but I do question the sincerity of any person who wears their patriotism as conspicuously as a Halloween costume, and that is who I see as making the most noise over this, the ones who festoon themselves in POW/MIA bling.

The girl did something dumb, and I don't like it either, but she doesn't deserve a dishonorable discharge over it.

I respect our POW/MIA countrymen to the utmost, and frankly, I would much rather imagine them being gracious, and forgiving this kid for the dumb stunt she pulled.

It wouldn't be as bad if she actually apologized for it and was sincere in her remorse. However, she justified it as being "young and dumb". She isn't sorry she did it, she is sorry that it went viral.

Stalwart
02-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Very stupid thing to do ... but Court Martial worthy?

Absinthe Anecdote
02-15-2014, 12:12 PM
It wouldn't be as bad if she actually apologized for it and was sincere in her remorse. However, she justified it as being "young and dumb". She isn't sorry she did it, she is sorry that it went viral.

I saw a couple of statements that were purported as being hers, but even so, I think she is likely remorseful for doing it, and pissed off at herself and others because it went viral.

I don't see how that changes anything.

If you want her to be a villain, then make her a villain. I think she deserves a good chiding and perhaps some extra duty for that "young and dumb" stunt, but not a dishonorable discharge.

jshiver15
02-15-2014, 02:52 PM
I saw a couple of statements that were purported as being hers, but even so, I think she is likely remorseful for doing it, and pissed off at herself and others because it went viral.

I don't see how that changes anything.

If you want her to be a villain, then make her a villain. I think she deserves a good chiding and perhaps some extra duty for that "young and dumb" stunt, but not a dishonorable discharge.

I don't think she deserves a DIShonorable discharge, but I do think she needs to be force shaped. If we're kicking out people who have a referral EPR for failing their PT test too close to their EPR closeout date, then we can certainly do the same to someone who not only dishonored the lost and fallen, but also embarrassed the Air Force as a service. A good percentage of the comments I've read on this are "typical Air Force" and similar sentiments. If myself and my fellow Airmen are being put down and lumped into that category purely by association, this it is a problem.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-15-2014, 04:15 PM
I don't think she deserves a DIShonorable discharge, but I do think she needs to be force shaped. If we're kicking out people who have a referral EPR for failing their PT test too close to their EPR closeout date, then we can certainly do the same to someone who not only dishonored the lost and fallen, but also embarrassed the Air Force as a service. A good percentage of the comments I've read on this are "typical Air Force" and similar sentiments. If myself and my fellow Airmen are being put down and lumped into that category purely by association, this it is a problem.

You make a very good point here, but I don't like your tone about the importance of the PT test.

One could almost construe your remarks as diminishing the importance of passing the PT test. I could never agree with a negative comment about the PT program, so I'll just assume that you worded your post poorly.

Badger
02-15-2014, 04:52 PM
This is apparently what she wrote on Facebook:

“This pic is 3 years old. I was a young airman who didn’t care (not uncommon). I was young and dumb. There are much bigger issues to be worried about than a 3 year old pic that was leaked. So get off of Facebook, and go to take care of your children, because one day it may be them in my shoes, getting called out of their name for a mistake that took a few second to make but a lifetime to make up for.”

I don't detect an ounce of remorse. Just someone crying "Woe is me." A discharge would be inappropriate but NJP with DOS rollback would be just about right.

TJMAC77SP
02-15-2014, 04:55 PM

Frankly, I get more pissed at all those cheesy assed country singers who promote faux patriotism with their corny assed songs.

AA.........had to throw out another irrelevant jab at country music and the south huh? JoeB would be proud of you.

By the way, other than the irrelevance I agree with you. Tempest in a teapot. Done and done. Next story.

SomeRandomGuy
02-15-2014, 05:03 PM

“This pic is 3 years old. I was a young airman who didn’t care (not uncommon). I was young and dumb. There are much bigger issues to be worried about than a 3 year old pic that was leaked. So get off of Facebook, and go to take care of your children, because one day it may be them in my shoes, getting called out of their name for a mistake that took a few second to make but a lifetime to make up for.”

I don't detect an ounce of remorse. Just someone crying "Woe is me." A discharge would be inappropriate but NJP with DOS rollback would be just about right.

Two things here:

1.) I heard the picture is 3 years old also and that she was already punished for it.

2.) If it really is 3 years old she has likely re-enlisted since then. I have always heard that you cannot punish someone for something that happened in their prior enlistment (if it was known about when they re-enlisted). It sounds like she already got her punishment and if she has since re-enlisted legally, the AF can't do anything no matter how bad it makes us look. She is now a SSgt so my guess is she has long since moved on from this and people are blowing it way out of proportion.

Badger
02-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Two things here:

1.) I heard the picture is 3 years old also and that she was already punished for it.

2.) If it really is 3 years old she has likely re-enlisted since then. I have always heard that you cannot punish someone for something that happened in their prior enlistment (if it was known about when they re-enlisted). It sounds like she already got her punishment and if she has since re-enlisted legally, the AF can't do anything no matter how bad it makes us look. She is now a SSgt so my guess is she has long since moved on from this and people are blowing it way out of proportion.

So it sounds like the commander that disciplined her was as big a pushover as Absinthe Anecdote.

SomeRandomGuy
02-15-2014, 05:14 PM
So it sounds like the commander that disciplined her was as big a pushover as Absinthe Anecdote.

Not sure if you know this but commanders get discipline advice from JA. If a commander considers an Article 15 they first have to consult JA. The JA will come back with a recommended maximum and minimum punshment. This lets the commander know what they can do. With that being said, do you really think a JA would advise the commander that an Article 15 could be given for this? There is no chance that would fly. The best the commander could have done was deny re-enlistment at the next opportunity (could still be an option).

UH1FE
02-15-2014, 05:18 PM
She is at Fairchild which is home to the AF survival school. They should send her through the combat survival course and she will gain some respect for that flag and what it means.

Badger
02-15-2014, 05:22 PM
I believe I've seen LORs used for DOS rollbacks. Surely a commander could issue an LOR for this?

Badger
02-15-2014, 05:32 PM
I'd also like to say that I'm also sick to death of this trend over the last few years of public outrage spreading virally and then steamrolling the person in its path. So many things are blown out of proportion and the 'outrage du jour' has essentially turned into public sport.

However, I found this particular act truly disgusting. The total lack of awareness (or care) about the POW/MIA symbol cut me to the quick.

jshiver15
02-15-2014, 05:35 PM
You make a very good point here, but I don't like your tone about the importance of the PT test.

One could almost construe your remarks as diminishing the importance of passing the PT test. I could never agree with a negative comment about the PT program, so I'll just assume that you worded your post poorly.

I actually chuckled at this.

imported_KnuckleDragger
02-15-2014, 05:38 PM
BAN Facebook!

/thread

ihatenonners
02-15-2014, 06:25 PM

I'm willing to bet very few, if any, will give a shit. POWs tend to not sweat small things.

TJMAC77SP
02-15-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm willing to bet very few, if any, will give a shit. POWs tend to not sweat small things.

True.

When I was a teenager I was dating a girl and spent a lot of time at her house. Her dad usually sat in the den with us and watched tv along with us while reading his paper. One night he got up and went into the living room and continued reading his paper. I wondered if the tv disturbed him and asked my girlfriend and she said "No he won't watch Hogan's Heroes.....he was a POW of the Germans in WWII". I felt like a shit heel and went into the living room and told him that of course we would watch something else. He quietly replied "No it is actually a very funny show. I just feel like I can't watch the show". He didn't rail on about how it's a travesty to make light of such horrible conditions and treatment as he and the other POW's endured in the stalags. He quietly chose to honor his brothers in his own way, without fuss and fanfare.

grimreaper
02-15-2014, 07:37 PM
I wonder what shall come of this?

Ar Force will take ‘appropriate action’ over viral POW/MIA emblem photo
By Jon Harper
Stars and Stripes
Published: February 15, 2014

WASHINGTON — The Air Force is “disappointed” in the airman who appeared in a photo that is being circulated of her posing with her tongue in the mouth of the prisoner of war depicted on the iconic black-and-white POW/MIA emblem.

“We do not yet have all the details behind the photo, but it certainly is a concern; it’s a concern any time someone shows disrespect for prisoners of war and those missing in action,” Chief Master Sgt. of the Air Force James Cody said in a statement. “They deserve our utmost respect and we must always remember their sacrifice and the legacy they’ve left for us as men and women serving our nation.

“I want to make it clear that this is not a reflection of Airmen who wear this uniform; it is a case of poor judgment of one Airman … to say we are disappointed would be an understatement. We are gathering all the details and will take appropriate action at the appropriate level,” he said. “Our Airmen fully understand the significance of the POW/MIA flag and the sacrifice of the men and women it honors.”

Second Lt. Rachelle Smith, a spokeswoman for Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash., told Stars and Stripes that the airman in the photo is Staff Sgt. Cherish Byers. She is with the 92nd Security Forces Squadron stationed at Fairchild. Byers was a senior airman when the photo was taken.

An investigation into the incident was initiated Friday morning, Smith said.

Fairchild removed a comment thread about the photo from its official Facebook page after the image went viral on social media.

Joe Davis, a spokesman for the Veterans of Foreign Wars, was not amused by the photo.

“There is nothing funny about [being] disrespectful and crude,” he said.

Ann Mills-Griffiths, the chairman of the board of the National League of POW/MIA Families, also criticized it.

“We find [the photo] as appalling and disgusting [as others who have seen it], not to mention disrespectful and crude,” said Mills-Griffiths, the sister of a Navy Reserve officer listed as missing over North Vietnam. “It is hard to fathom why anyone would do such a thing, and in speaking for all the families, it is offensive!”

Byers did not reply to a Stars and Stripes email requesting comment. However, her Facebook contained the following post before her account was removed: “This pic is 3 years old. I was a young airman who didn’t care (not uncommon). I was young and dumb. There are much bigger issues to be worried about than a 3 year old pic that was leaked. So get off of Facebook, and go to take care of your children, because one day it may be them in my shoes, getting called out of their name for a mistake that took a few second to make but a lifetime to make up for.”

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/air-force-will-take-appropriate-action-over-viral-pow-mia-emblem-photo-1.267780

Even her "apology" smacks of arrogance.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-15-2014, 08:21 PM
AA.........had to throw out another irrelevant jab at country music and the south huh? JoeB would be proud of you.

By the way, other than the irrelevance I agree with you. Tempest in a teapot. Done and done. Next story.

I am mostly joking with comments like that, but there is an element of truth to them. I do get tired of the country music industry wrapping themselves in veterans issues, it strikes me as insincere and exploitative.

Then again, I'll admit that I have a chip on my shoulder about Nashville, they too often tout themselves as being simple, honest, and true. I can't help but suspect them of being full of shit.

AFcynic
02-15-2014, 08:35 PM
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. For the people who like country music, denigrate means put down.

It was a dumb mistake, she's already been punished for it, and we've all done really stupid shit in our lives. Spare me the faux outrage. You really want this young lady kicked out for this? Court martialed? Given NJP? Stop being silly. When you are young, you are supposed to make mistakes. She has overcome this mistake, and has been promoted to Staff Sergeant. Let it go folks. You're going to get your panties in a bunch over this? There are bigger issues facing the Air Force right now. This is a distraction to keep you from seeing what the Pentagon is really up to.

BOSS302
02-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Well's it has landed in the UK news...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560261/Offensive-photo-U-S-airman-tongue-kissing-POW-MIA-symbol-members-military-outraged.html

Edit: ....WTF is an "airwoman"?

TJMAC77SP
02-15-2014, 09:24 PM
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. For the people who like country music, denigrate means put down.

I see what you did there.

TJMAC77SP
02-15-2014, 09:25 PM
I am mostly joking with comments like that, but there is an element of truth to them. I do get tired of the country music industry wrapping themselves in veterans issues, it strikes me as insincere and exploitative.

Then again, I'll admit that I have a chip on my shoulder about Nashville, they too often tout themselves as being simple, honest, and true. I can't help but suspect them of being full of shit.

If you mean the Nashville music industry.............absolutely.............mostly because they are simply a branch office of the LA music industry. Completely full of bullshit.

BRUWIN
02-15-2014, 09:41 PM

Well...she definately would have done better to not speak about it. She just dug her hole deeper and it's down to about 5 feet with those statements. She has one more foot to go...she best zip it.

OtisRNeedleman
02-15-2014, 11:29 PM
http://www.stripes.com/news/us/air-force-will-take-appropriate-action-over-viral-pow-mia-emblem-photo-1.267780

Even her "apology" smacks of arrogance.

Indeed.

OtisRNeedleman
02-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Well...she definately would have done better to not speak about it. She just dug her hole deeper and it's down to about 5 feet with those statements. She has one more foot to go...she best zip it.

Well put. Least she could have done was apologized. Had she done that things would have been ameliorated. But NOOOO.....

Badger
02-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Well's it has landed in the UK news...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560261/Offensive-photo-U-S-airman-tongue-kissing-POW-MIA-symbol-members-military-outraged.html

Edit: ....WTF is an "airwoman"?

The Daily Mail is one of the worst written and edited rags I have ever encountered. Their entire staff writes at the 4th grade level. The problem is that the Drudge Report routinely links to their stories. It might be only a matter of time before Drudge puts up this story and then the real outrage machine will kick into high gear.

BRUWIN
02-16-2014, 12:36 AM

Well now it's hard to cut her slack after this. Let me reword her statement to how it comes across to me:

This pic is 3 years old so I am not responsible for it now. I was a young Airman who can't admit how bad it appears so I will say I just didn't care. Everybody needs to mind their own damn business and quit worrying about a pic I now don't take any responsibility for. Get off facebook all you lazy asses and take care of your children because one day it might be them that is dumb...ummmm...I mean doesn't care. I don't know what that last statement has to do with any of this but I now have a long lifetime of trying to make up for something I still don't care about. Oh...and I don't know how to shut my mouth.

That's the way I interpret it anyways.

SomeRandomGuy
02-16-2014, 12:58 AM
Well now it's hard to cut her slack after this. Let me reword her statement to how it comes across to me:

This pic is 3 years old so I am not responsible for it now. I was a young Airman who can't admit how bad it appears so I will say I just didn't care. Everybody needs to mind their own damn business and quit worrying about a pic I now don't take any responsibility for. Get off facebook all you lazy asses and take care of your children because one day it might be them that is dumb...ummmm...I mean doesn't care. I don't know what that last statement has to do with any of this but I now have a long lifetime of trying to make up for something I still don't care about. Oh...and I don't know how to shut my mouth.

That's the way I interpret it anyways.

You putting words into her mouth is worse than her trying to put her tongue in the POW/MIA's mouth.

P.S. I personally thnk the other picture of her on FB is a lot more disrespectful. Just to a different group.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m57/sethayates/fedding_zpsf684b2c0.jpg

jshiver15
02-16-2014, 07:39 AM

It was a dumb mistake, she's already been punished for it, and we've all done really stupid shit in our lives. Spare me the faux outrage. You really want this young lady kicked out for this? Court martialed? Given NJP? Stop being silly. When you are young, you are supposed to make mistakes. She has overcome this mistake, and has been promoted to Staff Sergeant. Let it go folks. You're going to get your panties in a bunch over this? There are bigger issues facing the Air Force right now. This is a distraction to keep you from seeing what the Pentagon is really up to.

The whole "when you are young" excuse doesn't even apply here. There are service members years younger than she was in this picture who were captured, tortured, and killed by our enemies. Not to mention she had been in the service for a least 3 years at this point and, more than likely, attended at least a few veteran funerals because of her role in the base Honor Guard. Sorry, your lame excuse doesn't fly here.

jshiver15
02-16-2014, 07:58 AM

As a fan of country music . . I have to say that that if fucking funny.

BigBaze
02-16-2014, 09:55 AM
There was a snapshot of her response on Facebook floating around, apparently she is fine because she was young and dumb, and since then has been awarded Airman of the Qtr and received an Achievement Medal

wxjumper
02-16-2014, 10:17 AM
There was a snapshot of her response on Facebook floating around, apparently she is fine because she was young and dumb, and since then has been awarded Airman of the Qtr and received an Achievement Medal
That's all and good, but did she pass all her PT tests since then?

jshiver15
02-16-2014, 10:33 AM
That's all and good, but did she pass all her PT tests since then?

She's a woman . . all she had to do was show up and basically walk 1.5 miles.

BOSS302
02-16-2014, 11:23 AM

Apparently her supervisor jumped to her defense on one of those "Military Memes" Facebook groups and got into a heated argument with someone objecting to the photo, eventually telling that person to "Go kill themselves." If true, I'd like to see that screenshot.

What is bad is that the news wires have picked this story up. Daily Mail, New York Daily News, Colorado News Day, Stars and Stripes, etc. It's easy & outrageous fodder for the masses.

This could have been handled quietly, most likely with a stern "I am very disappointed" from her supervision or command. Yet thanks to...

Her stupid response on her Facebook
The news spreading on the wire
The righteous indignation of the mob

This will probably not end well for her. Even if no disciplinary action comes her way, I trust she is persona non grata on her base and in the local community.

wxjumper
02-16-2014, 11:25 AM
1 down, 24,999 to go!

BOSS302
02-16-2014, 11:26 AM
You putting words into her mouth is worse than her trying to put her tongue in the POW/MIA's mouth.

You are Finance. You cannot even put the right money into people's checks. Maybe there should be a righteous Facebook mob to punish Comptrollers whenever they screw up.

BOSS302
02-16-2014, 11:38 AM
The Daily Mail is one of the worst written and edited rags I have ever encountered. Their entire staff writes at the 4th grade level. The problem is that the Drudge Report routinely links to their stories. It might be only a matter of time before Drudge puts up this story and then the real outrage machine will kick into high gear.

Depends upon what you're reading in the Daily Mail. I will grant them this...I hear more pertinent US news from the Daily Mail and other UK papers than I hear from US MSM...

Stalwart
02-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Ochlocracy 101 ... the mob is Rome.

sandsjames
02-16-2014, 12:41 PM
What annoys me the most about all of this is the faux anger from all the "patriots" because that's the reaction they believe they are supposed to have.

wxjumper
02-16-2014, 12:46 PM
What annoys me the most about all of this is the faux anger from all the "patriots" because that's the reaction they believe they are supposed to have.
I initially felt melancholy when I first saw the picture, then Trace Adkins called and said I should be angry at this and who am I to argue against the winner of All-Star Celebrity Apprentice?

SomeRandomGuy
02-16-2014, 12:49 PM

Toby Keith should put a boot up her ass. It's the American way. All brought to her courtesy of the red white and blue. Then he should write a song about it.

BigBaze
02-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Apparently her supervisor jumped to her defense on one of those "Military Memes" Facebook groups and got into a heated argument with someone objecting to the photo, eventually telling that person to "Go kill themselves." If true, I'd like to see that screenshot.

What is bad is that the news wires have picked this story up. Daily Mail, New York Daily News, Colorado News Day, Stars and Stripes, etc. It's easy & outrageous fodder for the masses.

This could have been handled quietly, most likely with a stern "I am very disappointed" from her supervision or command. Yet thanks to...

Her stupid response on her Facebook
The news spreading on the wire
The righteous indignation of the mob

This will probably not end well for her. Even if no disciplinary action comes her way, I trust she is persona non grata on her base and in the local community.

Apparently her Facebook has been turned off, which is no surprise, either she didn't want to deal with the backlash she was getting, or her leadership strongly recommended it or ordered it. Her post was very defensive and unapologetic:

"This pic is 3 years old. I was a young airman who didn’t care (not uncommon). I was young and dumb. There are much bigger issues to be worried about than a 3 year old pic that was leaked. So get off of Facebook, and go to take care of your children, because one day it may be them in my shoes, getting called out of their name for a mistake that took a few second to make but a lifetime to make up for"

She then went on to say that since that time she had received an achievement medal (who hasn't) and won awards for Airman of the Month etc, and volunteered a lot. I guess with those incredible accomplishments we should forget about everything and keep her.

And you are quite right, with the scrutiny this is getting from the entire Air Force and the media as well, it's going to be a lot harder for her.

Chief_KO
02-16-2014, 12:51 PM
We've had CINCs (Presidents) commit, participate, or knowingly allow acts that would get a corporate CEO fired, General Officers, Colonels, & CMSgts willingly commit clear violations of the UCMJ or other applicable laws.
Many times the only "punishment" these "leaders" receive is an earlier than planned retirement. None, that I recall, have ever put forth a sincere public apology for their actions. Now, we expect a young NCO to do what dozens in higher positions of trust can't seem willing or able to do??

Absinthe Anecdote
02-16-2014, 01:08 PM

It doesn't seem like that Facebook post was even intended to be an apology. Why are you guys expecting to see remorseful language in it?

I understand that the mob wants blood, but find a better reason than, "her Facebook post was too arrogant."

You might as well attack her for using shoddy prose; actually, I might be able to get behind you on that, but I'd want to see an overall improvement in the quality of your own posts first.

If you do that, I'll consider joining your mob, but only if you guys have 90 or better PT scores. If there is one 89 or lower score amongst you, I'll have to insist that you DOS rollback those mediocre performers from the ranks of your mob.

I am a firm believer that mobs should have high PT scores, integrity, and be "clean cut" in dress and appearance.

So please, purge your ranks of any unshaven biker types, and I'd prefer not to see any of those yellow flags with the rattlesnake on them either. Oh, and no tobacco users!

You do all that, and I'll join your little mob.

Now, chop chop! You have a lot of work to do.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-16-2014, 01:16 PM

I am delighted, we finally agree on something!

Absinthe Anecdote
02-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Toby Keith should put a boot up her ass. It's the American way. All brought to her courtesy of the red white and blue. Then he should write a song about it.

I think he has already done that one. I'd expect a man of Mr. Keith's talents to compose an epic ballad that culminates with the Statue of Liberty conking her on the head with that torch and spitting tobacco juice in her eye.

Stalwart
02-16-2014, 01:23 PM
This is something that (as was said), could have been handled by a 1stSgt giving a "I am disappointed in you" talking to. I say "could have" because now that the story got legs and prompted a statement from the CMSAF -- it is probably beyond that and if nothing else she is likely to have a stigma associated with her -- "Hey, aren't you that Airman that was in that photo?"

I don't think much can be done punitively, Article 134 seems (off the top of my head) the only thing they could really find her to have violated (I doubt there is a specific order she would have violated -- other than "don't be dumb.")

Rainmaker
02-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Exactly. All these gray hairs up in arms obviously can't relate to this generation. She didn't take a selfie. So others were around her when this took place and no one said this is a bad idea your grandma might see this and be upset.

This airman (And Rainmaker uses the term loosely) appears to be yet another product of the Politically Correct marxist indoctrination camps, that have been masquerading as our public education system for the last 25 years. The primary characteristic of this pampered-assed "generation" is poor impulse control. It's time to start policing yourselves little Chillens, or else what's left of civilized society will be forced to do it for you. NomSayin?

Rainmaker
02-16-2014, 01:36 PM

So, this Senior Airman, while in uniform, in the honor guard. suddenly thinks it would be cute/funny to have her homies take a picture of her twerking with the POW/MIA symbol. WTFO?? Talk about a serious case of the dumbass. At times like this, it seems some people's sole purpose in life is only to serve as a warning to others.

sandsjames
02-16-2014, 02:09 PM
I am delighted, we finally agree on something!

That can't be good. Maybe I should rethink my position...yep...I am angry now. And everyone should be angry about it, or move to another country.

BOSS302
02-16-2014, 02:12 PM
That can't be good. Maybe I should rethink my position...yep...I am angry now. And everyone should be angry about it, or move to another country.

Damn. Absinthe Anecdote just shook you right out of your boots and into another pair of boots. He really is the Alpha over you.

sandsjames
02-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Damn. Absinthe Anecdote just shook you right out of your boots and into another pair of boots. He really is the Alpha over you.

Definitely. It's a little embarrassing. If I had any pride or self esteem I'm sure I'd feel bad.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Definitely. It's a little embarrassing. If I had any pride or self esteem I'm sure I'd feel bad.

Damn, now you are letting Boss302, boss you around! You know his name doesn't actually mean he is a boss, it's a reference to some old muscle car.

No, you don't have to listen to him just because he has a muscle car either.

DWWSWWD
02-16-2014, 03:31 PM
She is at Fairchild which is home to the AF survival school. They should send her through the combat survival course and she will gain some respect for that flag and what it means.
Best idea ever.

sandsjames
02-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Do any of you have daughters between the age of 15 and 25? I have 2 nieces that age and every single "selfee" they post on Facebook they have their tongues out. Sure, it was distasteful, but I don't think there was any intent to be disrespectful. It was just a young girl doing what young girls do. Much ado about nothing.

BRUWIN
02-16-2014, 06:19 PM

Didn't put words in her mouth....I specifically said that is how I interpreted her words. I thought that was pretty clear.

fufu
02-17-2014, 02:56 AM
I think there are two flags that you just don't fuck with:

1. The American Flag
2. The POW Flag

This is embarrassing and highly disappointing for the base. The questions really is...what comes next? Should she be punished? I think so. Discharged? No. LOR? Maybe.

On a personal level, I get upset when anyone disgraces the flag/constitution. So, I think a hard lesson is in order here. Perhaps having her explain her actions to the CMSAF.....that would make her feel some remorse and possibly understand the sacrifices of those that came before us. But, I'm country music listening, Toby Keith loving redneck.

Bunch
02-17-2014, 03:48 AM
I wonder how many of us here would like for people to judge us only by the "worst/stupidest/dumbest" moment we ever had in our life.

Fact is we know nothing about this young airmen other than she did this dumb thing.

fufu
02-17-2014, 04:15 AM
I wonder how many of us here would like for people to judge us only by the "worst/stupidest/dumbest" moment we ever had in our life.

Fact is we know nothing about this young airmen other than she did this dumb thing.

The issue with today's "youth" is they like to capture every moment they can with a photo. Everyone has done stupid shit, but not everyone is dumb enough to get caught on camera...and not everyone gets caught on camera disgracing a flag that honors the fallen or those that will never return. The act displayed incredibly poor judgment.....having your photo taken while performing said act is dumb....and not owning the mistake and showing remorse is flat out stupid.

Everytime I've done something incredibility stupid..and been caught...I immediately owned it because I knew the act was dumb. I never allowed such acts to be caught on camera.

Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid.

Chief_KO
02-17-2014, 12:21 PM
I think there are two flags that you just don't fuck with:

1. The American Flag
2. The POW Flag

Unfortunately the courts have ruled that desecrating the American Flag is protected as "Free Speech". You can stand on it or spread feces on it as a form of "art" and that is "Free Speech". Try doing something similar to a symbol of an Islamic country...you will be tried (and convicted by the media) for "Hate Speech".

Not at all condoning her actions, but court rulings and "celebrity" conduct goes far in placing ideas (or reinforcing ideas) of what is "okay" into impressionable minds today.

I think it would be interesting to see the other photos in this album. No doubt there are several other photos of her (and others) doing similar things.

SomeRandomGuy
02-17-2014, 02:27 PM
I think it would be interesting to see the other photos in this album. No doubt there are several other photos of her (and others) doing similar things.

Most of her other pictures are pretty crazy. Here is one from the same album of her and Miley at the American Music Awards.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m57/sethayates/Miley_zps9bcfac9f.jpg

Stalwart
02-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately the courts have ruled that desecrating the American Flag is protected as "Free Speech". You can stand on it or spread feces on it as a form of "art" and that is "Free Speech". Try doing something similar to a symbol of an Islamic country...you will be tried (and convicted by the media) for "Hate Speech".

I definitely don't like that desecrating the flag is done ... usually in an effort to shock. I don't see it much as art. But, I do like that we live in a country where we can do such things (maybe I find that particular facet just personally distasteful.)

Pleasing or popular speech is not the kind that actually needs protecting.

TJMAC77SP
02-17-2014, 02:55 PM
I definitely don't like that desecrating the flag is done ... usually in an effort to shock. I don't see it much as art. But, I do like that we live in a country where we can do such things (maybe I find that particular facet just personally distasteful.)

Pleasing or popular speech is not the kind that actually needs protecting.

Spot on. I have always opposed a constitutional ban on US flag desecration. We defend the rights of free speech more for those whose opinions we revile then those who are in line with our own thinking.

DocBones
02-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Comrades, I believe that she should be sent to a gulag.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Spot on. I have always opposed a constitutional ban on US flag desecration. We defend the rights of free speech more for those whose opinions we revile then those who are in line with our own thinking.

I agree with you on this a hundred percent.

However, I don't even consider what that airman did as flag desecration.

imported_AFKILO7
02-17-2014, 03:47 PM
I've held off on commenting for a bit just to see how things transpired throughout Facebook. SF Tool Of The Day mostly a group of people who poke fun at people who really haven't done anything worthy of being ridiculed online. However, there are times where complete assholes are put through the ringer. It is amazing how quickly the picture caught on, it is equally amazing how many people networked to find out (supposedly) that the picture is really less than two years old. Of course her supervisor got on the page and defended her, however, his replies really made him look like an equally large turd. When you tell people to kill themselves on social media and then it is saved as a screenshot and sent to leadership things get really interesting.

Do people do stupid stuff, yes. Do people learn from their mistakes, not always. The reactions on this page are not surprising to me at all. Generally this community is fairly diverse and ideas usually range from all ends of the spectrum. Some people feel the reaction is too much and people are being too harsh and are overreacting. Let us suppose a picture of her doing this was never taken, nobody would be the wiser and hopefully she would've learned over time her behavior was unacceptable. Let us also suppose that she was previously admonished for her behavior by her leadership. Why on earth would she keep the picture on Facebook? Apparently she didn't learn anything and in my opinion by deciding to keep the picture online, coupled with her flippant response, requires a response by her leadership.

Positive punishment works, should she be removed from the Air Force? I don't know, but I can't imagine she isn't already being looked at for the ERB anyway. If I were her leadership I would think of something innovative. I'm not talking about anything crazy either, but a reaction is warranted. People who bring race into the discussion are complete fucking morons. I do like to read most of the comments on the page even though I may not agree with the message.

TJMAC77SP
02-17-2014, 03:52 PM
I agree with you on this a hundred percent.

However, I don't even consider what that airman did as flag desecration.

I was replying to Stalwart's post (hence why I quoted it) and he spoke of flag desecration.

As to the now-SSgt.....I have more issue with her recent statement than her immature photo op.

coloringoutsidethelines
02-17-2014, 10:29 PM
There is another picture burning up the spouses page right now. Some honor guard folks posing with a practice casket with the title we put the "fun" in funeral. I can see some issues from this bit of Facebook stupidity as well.

sandsjames
02-17-2014, 10:53 PM
There is another picture burning up the spouses page right now. Some honor guard folks posing with a practice casket with the title we put the "fun" in funeral. I can see some issues from this bit of Facebook stupidity as well.

If it's the one I'm thinking about then that's been going around for a couple years now.

SomeRandomGuy
02-17-2014, 10:56 PM

I have a friend who worked mortuary for the Army in Iraq. Their slogan was, "you kill em we grill em"

BURAWSKI
02-18-2014, 01:35 AM
I will keep my opinion to myself on this one. However, I think her chain of command should deal with her regarding this (not ignoring it). How they handle it is not really mine or anyone else's business, since we don't know her. I would trust her chain of command to handle this situation in the way they see fit. Anyone else making recommendations would not be appropriate, since they are not privy to her personal work situation.

Airborne
02-18-2014, 02:38 AM
I've held off on commenting for a bit just to see how things transpired throughout Facebook. SF Tool Of The Day mostly a group of people who poke fun at people who really haven't done anything worthy of being ridiculed online. However, there are times where complete assholes are put through the ringer. It is amazing how quickly the picture caught on, it is equally amazing how many people networked to find out (supposedly) that the picture is really less than two years old. Of course her supervisor got on the page and defended her, however, his replies really made him look like an equally large turd. When you tell people to kill themselves on social media and then it is saved as a screenshot and sent to leadership things get really interesting.

Do people do stupid stuff, yes. Do people learn from their mistakes, not always. The reactions on this page are not surprising to me at all. Generally this community is fairly diverse and ideas usually range from all ends of the spectrum. Some people feel the reaction is too much and people are being too harsh and are overreacting. Let us suppose a picture of her doing this was never taken, nobody would be the wiser and hopefully she would've learned over time her behavior was unacceptable. Let us also suppose that she was previously admonished for her behavior by her leadership. Why on earth would she keep the picture on Facebook? Apparently she didn't learn anything and in my opinion by deciding to keep the picture online, coupled with her flippant response, requires a response by her leadership.

Positive punishment works, should she be removed from the Air Force? I don't know, but I can't imagine she isn't already being looked at for the ERB anyway. If I were her leadership I would think of something innovative. I'm not talking about anything crazy either, but a reaction is warranted. People who bring race into the discussion are complete fucking morons. I do like to read most of the comments on the page even though I may not agree with the message.

I dont know exactly how facebook works or the internet for that matter, but I have been told that once something goes out on the internet there is really no taking it back. Even when you delete photos and such, there will always be one skilled person who can get it. Just like these posts, there are some of us who try to be ambiguous about our AFSCs, ranks, locations, but if someone wanted to sleuth it, they absolutely could very easily.

CYBERFX1024
02-19-2014, 01:03 AM
If it's the one I'm thinking about then that's been going around for a couple years now.

I know which one you are talking about as well. No this one is completely different. But it is worse now because one of soldiers in that photo took a selfie right before a funeral. She went to say that it is really cold that day and why would they have a funeral in the cold, that "someone is getting a jacked up flag today." Needless to say this is even worse.

They don't show the other picture but they do show this one and the backstory.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140218/NEWS/302180009/Soldier-suspended-funeral-guard-photo-flap-investigation-launched

Absinthe Anecdote
02-19-2014, 02:19 AM
I just filled out a suggestion form to replace all service members with droids. That will put a stop to all this nonsense; plus, no more sexual assaults, and we won't have to pay for their health care or pensions.

I just got off the phone with Lockheed Martin and they think it is a great idea. It shouldn't be too hard to find a Senator to support this as long as we put the droid factory in his state.

TomTom093
02-19-2014, 02:36 AM

P.S. I personally thnk the other picture of her on FB is a lot more disrespectful. Just to a different group.
]

I just filled out a suggestion form to replace all service members with droids. That will put a stop to all this nonsense; plus, no more sexual assaults, and we won't have to pay for their health care or pensions.

I just got off the phone with Lockheed Martin and they think it is a great idea. It shouldn't be too hard to find a Senator to support this as long as we put the droid factory in his state.

We're still going to need Airmen while the droid project falls nearly a decade behind schedule and spends billions of dollars over budget. We also need to ensure the droids can recite the Airmen's Creed and sell cookies twice per quarter.

technomage1
02-19-2014, 07:22 AM
I know which one you are talking about as well. No this one is completely different. But it is worse now because one of soldiers in that photo took a selfie right before a funeral. She went to say that it is really cold that day and why would they have a funeral in the cold, that "someone is getting a jacked up flag today." Needless to say this is even worse.

They don't show the other picture but they do show this one and the backstory.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140218/NEWS/302180009/Soldier-suspended-funeral-guard-photo-flap-investigation-launched
Thanks for the link. It seems the now SSgt is under investigation for this now. If she was punished three years ago then I would not agree with further punishment.

fufu
02-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Of course her supervisor got on the page and defended her, however, his replies really made him look like an equally large turd. When you tell people to kill themselves on social media and then it is saved as a screenshot and sent to leadership things get really interesting. .

Things are getting interesting....trust me.

Why on earth would she keep the picture on Facebook? Apparently she didn't learn anything and in my opinion by deciding to keep the picture online, coupled with her flippant response, requires a response by her leadership.

From what I know...she didn't post the pic...the photographer did. Her response was BS.

SomeRandomGuy
02-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Things are getting interesting....trust me.

http://i.imgur.com/Hkq3c.gif

SENDBILLMONEY
02-19-2014, 05:00 PM
There, but for the good fortune of a worldwide platform for self-embarrassment not having been invented when I did my stupid stuff, go I.

Her response to the criticism didn't help, but it shouldn't affect the outcome.

I hope her CC has good perspective when handling this. The internet outrage should not be a significant factor in disposition, other than to call it public embarrassment. She was photographed doing something stupid three years ago. It has publicly embarrassed her and Big Blue. If she's professional and contrite in the closed-door meeting and has no other issues, end it with an LOR and no UIF*. Then pick her up, dust her off, and encourage her to accrue the traditional thousand attaboys she'll need to overcome this "aw $#|+."

*I might have voted for a UIF, but someone might get the bright idea that all UIF owners need to be force-shaped out.

Back to infrequent lurking and even more infrequent posting.

BENDER56
02-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Back to infrequent lurking and even more infrequent posting.

I can understand that, but you used to provide a valuable service here when you weighed in to debunk widely held misconceptions about the military legal system.

BISSBOSS
02-19-2014, 07:56 PM
It's not just the AF doing questionable things with cameras...

I may be mistaken but I could swear that either this picture or another very much like it was bouncing around a few years back as well...

-BB-

BISSBOSS
02-19-2014, 08:30 PM
It was a different set of Dufuses I was thinking about...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/12/14/9447771-casket-photo-sparks-air-force-investigation-outrage

My thanks to Tak for the research!

-BB-

Chief_KO
02-19-2014, 08:57 PM
Kudos to the Navy to recognize how to maximize fundraising.
Skip the bake sales, car washes, burger burns...ask the strip clubs for donations!

Aye aye Shipmates!!

BOSS302
02-26-2014, 08:35 PM
A female soldier is under fire after she posted a distasteful selfie on Instagram as she avoided a flag salute, along with the caption 'I don't give a f***.'

Pfc. Tariqka Sheffey uploaded the controversial photo, in which she's reclining in her car with her arm behind her head, wearing her full uniform, last week.

Under the picture, she wrote: 'This is me laying back in my car hiding so I don't have to salute the 1700 flag, KEEP ALL YOUR 'THATS SO DISRESPECTFUL/HOWRUDE/ETC.' COMMENTS TO YOURSELF cuz, right now, IDGAFFFF.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2568603/Soldier-ignites-online-firestorm-posts-selfie-avoiding-flag-salute-caption-I-dont-f.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/26/article-0-1BDAD85200000578-416_634x1091.jpg

sandsjames
02-26-2014, 08:38 PM
A female soldier is under fire after she posted a distasteful selfie on Instagram as she avoided a flag salute, along with the caption 'I don't give a f***.'

Pfc. Tariqka Sheffey uploaded the controversial photo, in which she's reclining in her car with her arm behind her head, wearing her full uniform, last week.

Under the picture, she wrote: 'This is me laying back in my car hiding so I don't have to salute the 1700 flag, KEEP ALL YOUR 'THATS SO DISRESPECTFUL/HOWRUDE/ETC.' COMMENTS TO YOURSELF cuz, right now, IDGAFFFF.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2568603/Soldier-ignites-online-firestorm-posts-selfie-avoiding-flag-salute-caption-I-dont-f.html

I know the feeling, just why the hell are people so stupid as to post this shit?

Of course the Air Force isn't required to exit the vehicle so I guess it wouldn't really be a big deal to post something like that for us (without the disrespectful caption of course).

OtisRNeedleman
02-26-2014, 08:51 PM
I know the feeling, just why the hell are people so stupid as to post this shit?

Of course the Air Force isn't required to exit the vehicle so I guess it wouldn't really be a big deal to post something like that for us (without the disrespectful caption of course).

Look at the other pics in the Daily Mail article. You can take the person out of the 'hood, but you can't take the 'hood out of the person. Hmmm...might be tough to be a single mother without that Army pay and benefits.

sandsjames
02-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Look at the other pics in the Daily Mail article. You can take the person out of the 'hood, but you can't take the 'hood out of the person. Hmmm...might be tough to be a single mother without that Army pay and benefits.

Not sure the other pics are relevant at all. Actually, the cleavage one isn't bad. She did two stupid things. One, she did it in uniform. Two, she posted it.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-26-2014, 09:05 PM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/26/article-0-1BDAD85200000578-416_634x1091.jpg

Other than the caption, it is a pretty good selfie. It makes me want to cuddle up next to her.

ihatenonners
02-26-2014, 10:29 PM
yeah she's pretty cute. Not sure what the big deal is.

BRUWIN
02-27-2014, 01:24 AM
yeah she's pretty cute. Not sure what the big deal is.

I wouldn't expect you to.

ihatenonners
02-27-2014, 02:13 AM
I wouldn't expect you to.

tell me more about your outrage over dodging retreat, Mr. Air Force Guy

Absinthe Anecdote
02-27-2014, 07:43 AM

He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to express outrage. I once saw him open his polka dot umbrella at the first bar of retreat, and then, curl up into a little ball beneath it and munch on a Kit Kat until it was over.

I approached him afterward and said, "Gimme a break!Gimme a break! Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat Bar."

He just shoved the remainder of it into his mouth and replied a very muffled, "Mine!"

raider8169
02-27-2014, 05:54 PM
You know what would make this issues less important? If people stopped careing about them and let their leadership handle them. Piss moan and groan all you want but come tomorrow nothing has changed.

sandsjames
02-27-2014, 07:10 PM
You know what would make this issues less important? If people stopped careing about them and let their leadership handle them. Piss moan and groan all you want but come tomorrow nothing has changed.

But if we don't vocalize our outrage on the subject that MUST mean we condone, or agree with it. Don't you know how things work!!!!????

Steve-OK
02-28-2014, 02:04 AM
http://rare.us/story/soldier-tariqka-sheffeys-army-selfie-wasnt-a-first-but-it-should-be-the-last/

Not the only picture she posted.

Rainmaker
03-01-2014, 01:49 PM

I think she was pretty clear about why. It's Cause Tariqkwa don't GAFFF!!! Well Tariqkwa, If you don't like it. You and your culturally disadvantaged ass can hit the bricks. NomSayin??

OtisRNeedleman
03-01-2014, 04:30 PM
The disrespectful selfies show a pattern of behavior. Wouldn't be surprised to see she has a number of counseling statements, and possibly LORs, for various things. Combine the two and I see her being chaptered out of the Army. Not easy being a single mother on a PFC's pay. Much harder being a single mother without the Army pay and benefits. McDonald's? Welfare? Who knows? Who cares? At any rate, this "soldier" brought it all on herself.

BRUWIN
03-01-2014, 05:46 PM

No outrage...unfortunately it's what I've come to expect from today's young folks.

jerseyfla
03-03-2014, 12:37 AM
Ready for another Airman exposed?!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=616712688402395&set=a.503234566416875.1073741828

jerseyfla
03-03-2014, 12:37 AM
Double post sorry.

ihatenonners
03-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Ready for another Airman exposed?!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=616712688402395&set=a.503234566416875.1073741828

lol at the comments. i see some white people are really getting bold with their deeply held racism these days.

OtisRNeedleman
03-04-2014, 04:05 AM
Sheffey is probably thanking Putin this evening. The events in the Crimea have drawn national attention away from her. Nevertheless, believe her time in the Army is running out.

wxjumper
03-04-2014, 04:35 AM
lol at the comments. i see some white people are really getting bold with their deeply held racism these days.

You would think that having to post under your real name where your family, friends, and coworkers can see what you post would have stopped some of the racist comments from the closeted racists who usually post under anonymous means. Nope

TJMAC77SP
03-04-2014, 12:37 PM

Ouch...............nice burn.........oh wait...............